Racing Chat - Friday Sept 4th

2.20 Thirsk - 1pt e/w Fantail @ 10/1 Bet365

Headstrong sort who has plenty of ability but needs to settle better to showcase it - the hood returns today having thrown away any chance last time by pulling hard from the front and hopefully that will help conserve some energy here. Did run okay in the hood 2 starts back behind two nice sorts (winner now rated 14lbs higher) and only backed out of it late on. This less demanding track should play to its strengths and hopefully can be involved at the finish with a more settled run. 

2.30 Ascot - 1pt e/w Ballyconneely Bay @ 14/1 Bet365

John Quinn's runner shaped with promise on his debut at Pontefract over 5f, keeping on from the back from a wide draw which is never ideal around that track. It wasn't a bad race either and should improve plenty for the experience here and the extra furlong. He's related to some decent types and is a full brother to a smart filly who ended up rated in the 90s so there's plenty to suggest he can be useful on bloodlines too. Open race and he's an attractive price so appeals to me.

3.30 Thirsk - 1pt e/w Club Wexford @ 33/1 Bet365

Seems a very big price here given he's bounced back with good runs the last twice, staying on from the rear despite failing to get a clear run and is well handicapped on some of his old form. Conditions suit and so long as he's good to go, looks like he's coming back into form and able to put in a good effort if getting the splits here. 

3.40 Ascot - 1pt e/w On To Victory @ 8/1 Bet365

Was an excellent third at York on his first run after a break, staying on behind quite a nice type and should strip fitter today. Has plenty of old form that would see him go very well off this sort of mark and the slightly easier ground conditions will certainly suit and help bring the leaders back to him in the closing stages. Looks a sound each-way bet as is typically consistent and seems sure to be running on so long as this hasn't come too soon for him.

4.35 Thirsk - 1pt win Venturous @ 13/2 Bet365

Has been unlucky in a few runs this season in better races and today looks his best opportunity yet - down another couple of pounds in the handicap and eased in grade having shaped well last time out. Wasn't beaten that far when travelling well but the first four in the race were up there throughout and they just couldn't peg them back from the rear. This contest should suit and if getting the breaks, looks capable of picking them up late. 

5.05 Thirsk - 1pt e/w Athollblair Boy @ 16/1 Bet365

Backed this one last time but he just couldn't go the 5f gallop that day despite finishing with some credit and will relish the return to 6f today. A big field will really suit his closing style and he's back to a fair mark now with a further 7lbs taken off his back. Competitive race but this is a consistent type and I think he can go well at a price.

5.20 Ascot - 1pt e/w Gloves Lynch @ 14/1 Bet365

Ran too badly to be true back over in Ireland last time and showed promise prior to that including when an eyecatcher at Newcastle - staying on from an uncompromising position in a race where it proved tricky to come from behind. I'm sure there's a handicap in him off this mark and conditions should suit with a likely fast pace to help too. Clearly a question mark after that last run but it often pays to forgive a horse an off day and I'll do that here.

2 hours ago, BillyHills said:

Just looking a the sales catalogue for Goffs later this month

A load of Gigginstown horses and a fair few from Trevor Hemmings

https://www.goffsuk.com/sales-results/sales/september-hit-sale-2020

:ok

Interesting he (O'leary) did say he was downsizing, apart from a couple looks like his rubbish at first glance.

Ascot 14.30  GEORGE SCOTT  @ 7/1 Bet365

Having it's second run today. Slowly away that day he was held up in last place and didn't make a move until 2f  out, took a while to get going but once he did stayed on well to finish 5th. Yes I know that run was over 7f and yes this is only 6f but he travelled really well that day so I think the shorter distance shouldn't be a problem, should come on for that run and I expect him to be first past the post today :D