** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Racing Chat - Tuesday Aug 25th

Been looking at the 2 year old maidens/novices and the novice hurdles over jumps

Amongst the market leaders looking for which one is being backed

Amongst the outsiders for any EW angle

Today's picks ......

Catt 12.50 - money - Ey Up It's Maggie , 9/4 to 7/4
EW Bert Kibbler 25/1 - trainer/whim

Cork 2.15 - money for Huddle Up, 8-1 to 4-1
EW - Bramble Sand 25/1 - experienced, handles soft, down in trip front runner

Bellew 3.40 - money for L'Un Deux Trois, 4/1 to 5/2

Yarm 3.55 - money for Foora, 10/1 to 4/1
EW Series of Dreams, from Newbury to Yarmouth, 22/1

Bellew 4.10 - money for Hand In My Pocket, 2/1 to 6/5

let's see how they get on !

Edited by Trotter

12.30 Bangor - 0.5pts e/w Dream De Dream @ 80/1 Bet365

Some of these flat types might not relish the test that soft ground will bring over hurdles and given you can get 80/1 about Dream De Dream, I think he's worth a tentative poke on the grounds that he's an experienced jumper, handles soft ground no problem and hasn't been totally disgraced in a couple of novices to date. Is a winning pointer and shaped with a modicum of promise in hurdles despite often racing freely over further and taking himself to the front. Drops back down in trip today so will certainly stay and if conditions make this a slog, could outrun mammoth odds. 

1.25 Catterick - 1pt win Nikolayeva @ 6/1 Bet365

Michael Appleby's runner looks to hold every chance here as she's in good form, a guaranteed stayer and should handle the extra emphasis on stamina that the soft ground will bring. Her sire Archipenko didn't mind a bit of give so hopefully it won't be an issue and put in a good shift from the front when outspeeded late on on rattling fast ground last time - this can play to her strengths more as she's more of a grinder than a speedster and can go close.

1.35 Bangor - 1pt win Authorizo @ 7/1 Bet365

Looked the likely winner at Cartmel last time when travelling well and kicking for home but was headed on the long run in there by a horse who has run well again since and conditions here should suit more than a couple of the shorter priced fancies. Garo De Juilley is supposedly better on a sound surface and Percy Street wouldn't want this to turn into a slog as he's a bit of a bridle horse. Authorizo will stay, loves soft ground and the track can suit him as I expect him to go forward and race handy - not as classy as some of these on their day but looks quite solid with questions to answer for a few of these.

2.25 Catterick - 1pt e/w Bahuta Acha @ 10/1 Bet365

Shaped well on first start after a break last time when only fading late on from the front and should improve for that. Has plenty of form that would give him a big chance today and relishes soft conditions which he gets here. This mark isn't a problem, he's got a decent draw and is versatile in terms of running style so lots in favour today at a double figure price.

2.35 Bangor - 1pt win Oscar Maguire @ 13/2 Hills

The favourite is quirky and hasn't proved himself at the trip and the next two in the market are 0-50 in their careers combined so I'll look to Oscar Maguire at a bigger price who has plenty of hurdles form from last year that would give him a big chance here and wasn't totally disgraced in a higher grade on chase debut last time after a six month break. Will find this substantially easier and should improve for that both fitness wise and with the experience of jumping fences. Looks to hold a live chance.

3.35 Bangor - 1pt win Secret Melody @ 11/1 Bet365

I know I keep backing this horse but I'm sure it's going to pop up soon and again will love this track over this trip as when 2nd to Tim Rocco earlier on in the season. Looked the likely winner when unseating rider two starts back and was let down by jumping late on at Southwell last time. None of the market leaders in this race want to go forward to Secret Melody can find a rhythm on the front end and use its typical good jumping to get in the ascendancy. Needs to hold up the whole way round here but is better than a 12/1 shot in my eyes.

I think I've got it sussed with short priced favourites.  One has to look at the market leaders for each day's racing and then check through the races to see which racing conditions and most recent runs are best served for possible selections.  Then and only then check all the the other stuff such as ratings and statistics just to check that all is well with the possible selection(s).  Next, place bets and wait for the money to roll in.  With the multiples play safe with selections begrudgingly slightly odds on and up to 2/1. Simple isn't it ?

Today's Trixie

12.30 Bangor Coulonces 13/8 (£4 win at 13/8)
4.00 Catt With Thanks 11/10
4.05 Bang  Le Boulevardier 11/10

I was tempted to do a £2 Trixie but am sticking with a £1.50 = £6 v poss return of £40.49

I will be back later with some win bets    

===============================================================================================

I don't mind it when a horse like Le Boulevardier gets beat because it has at least tried to win but I do mind it when horse's like Coulonces gets beaten out of site.  I don't accept the trainer's reason that the horse didn't act on the going and that's why it ran so bad.  Imo it should not have been allowed to run.  Never mind, this is what us punters have to put up with when backing a horse with good recent form only to be let down by an extremely poor performance.  This resulted in a £6 loss on my multiples which now means a balance c/fwd of £728.56 (Bank £800)

As I backed Coulances to win for £4 (I would not have achieved much better by backing the other two individually) this created a loss of £4.  The balance c/fwd is now £318.95 (£400 Bank)

Only two UK meetings tomorrow as Chepstow is abandoned.  Only two class 4 races so I guess I won't be lumping on the multiples.  Have a good night's rest everyone, I know I will

Edited by The Equaliser
Results Update

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

Been looking at the 2 year old maidens/novices and the novice hurdles over jumps

Today's picks ......

Looks like a mixed strategy and I wish you well with it.  You have a winner with Ey Up It's Maggie.  It was ridden by my favourite jockey atm Kevin Stott.  I didn't back it because I was afraid of the favourite.  I have had 50p ew on KS's other 3 rides.  He is definitely a jockey to follow

11 hours ago, Trotter said:

Today's picks ......

Brilliant results.  A great day for your selections

8 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Ah, OK, would that include the All Weather, auction stakes and possibly handicaps or not?

I usually have a month or so every year looking at the two year olds ........ normally towards the end of the flat season and then on the all weather

not sure about nursery handicaps ..... I'm more interested in races where there's not much form and lots of once raced horses or newcomers

basically any maiden or novice race