Football League Pre-Season Bets

Ok guys, let's put the cards on the table. There's only a month to go until the Football League season starts. Who do you think will get promoted and relegated from the Championship, League One, and League Two?

Here are my tips...

Championship

Promoted: Newcastle, Norwich, and Sheffield Wednesday

Relegated: Burton, Rotherham, and Huddersfield

League One

Promoted: Sheffield United, Coventry, and Millwall

Relegated: Port Vale, Oldham, Swindon, and AFC Wimbledon

League Two

Promoted: Portsmouth, Leyton Orient, Plymouth, and Wycombe

Relegated: Crawley and Newport County

You are so far wide of the mark for my team to get relegated, Huddersfield. You clearly are not following our signings during pre-season. I'm more inclined to say we will be the surprise package than be anywhere near relegation. What are you basing your prediction on? 

The manager David Wagner is a canny operator and has signed a lot of German players, he knows the Bundesliga's inside out having worked at Borussia Dortmund with Klopp for many years. I might be wrong but I don'the think any of his signings from Germany are mugs and come April/May time I'd be very surprised to see us at the wrong end of the table. I might be getting carried away but genuinely mate, I'm pretty sure we will be nowhere near the relegation spots.

If you want a good tip for relegation, look no further than Blackburn Rovers.

13 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

You are so far wide of the mark for my team to get relegated, Huddersfield. You clearly are not following our signings during pre-season. I'm more inclined to say we will be the surprise package than be anywhere near relegation. What are you basing your prediction on? 

The manager David Wagner is a canny operator and has signed a lot of German players, he knows the Bundesliga's inside out having worked at Borussia Dortmund with Klopp for many years. I might be wrong but I don'the think any of his signings from Germany are mugs and come April/May time I'd be very surprised to see us at the wrong end of the table. I might be getting carried away but genuinely mate, I'm pretty sure we will be nowhere near the relegation spots.

If you want a good tip for relegation, look no further than Blackburn Rovers.

That's the thing though. It's a huge gamble. He's signing players who are not experienced in the Championship. I actually have a soft spot for Huddersfield (first team I ever managed on the old Championship Manager!). I will say La Parra and Stankovic look like quality signings but then La Parra was cast aside by a Wolves team that performed very averagely last season due to his lack of consistency. I just think the squad needs such an overhaul you could be in trouble unless the new signings all click. I certainly hope I am wrong and you are right.

Blackburn are a good tip for relegation actually. Can never tell if Owen Coyle is going to do a great job or a dreadful one! He's never average.

6 hours ago, StevieDay1983 said:

That's the thing though. It's a huge gamble. He's signing players who are not experienced in the Championship. I actually have a soft spot for Huddersfield (first team I ever managed on the old Championship Manager!). I will say La Parra and Stankovic look like quality signings but then La Parra was cast aside by a Wolves team that performed very averagely last season due to his lack of consistency. I just think the squad needs such an overhaul you could be in trouble unless the new signings all click. I certainly hope I am wrong and you are right.

Blackburn are a good tip for relegation actually. Can never tell if Owen Coyle is going to do a great job or a dreadful one! He's never average.

Yeah, that is a worry that a lot of these players are unknown but German club football is not that much different to ours and I'm sure Wagner knows them. 

I agree over Van la Parra, I was disappointed by him if I'm honest when we had him on loan last season but again Wagner has the ability to get average players playing well. 

Overall, I'm quietly confident about our chances and i'my fancying us for a top 10 finish.

As for the rest of the division, no doubt the usual suspects will be kicking about. Newcastle will no doubt be there. Not sure what to make on Villa, not sure how they'll adapt as they were pretty awful last season. I would expect Sheffield Wednesday to be up there too after their decent season last term.

Edited by Kenton Schweppes

4 hours ago, Kenton Schweppes said:

Yeah, that is a worry that a lot of these players are unknown but German club football is not that much different to ours and I'm sure Wagner knows them. 

I agree over Van la Parra, I was disappointed by him if I'm honest when we had him on loan last season but again Wagner has the ability to get average players playing well. 

Overall, I'm quietly confident about our chances and i'my fancying us for a top 10 finish.

As for the rest of the division, no doubt the usual suspects will be kicking about. Newcastle will no doubt be there. Not sure what to make on Villa, not sure how they'll adapt as they were pretty awful last season. I would expect Sheffield Wednesday to be up there too after their decent season last term.

Yes, that's the beauty of the Championship. You could do what Chris Hughton did with Brighton and forge a new team and have them gelled before the start of the season. It's such an unpredictable league. It will be very interesting to see how Rafa Benitez copes with Championship football management!

Who do you think will go up?

I guess you can't look beyond the usual suspects. I have no doubt Newcastle will be there, probably Champions, I note they have made one or two good signings already.

Not sure on Villa they were terrible last season but Di Matteo is a top manager. It might take him time to turn it round but by Christmas I would imagine they'll still be in touch ready to make a dash for promotion in the New Year.

Again, I would expect Sheffield Wednesday to maintain last season's play off campaign and be up there.

Other than that it's pretty wide open, it's whoever can remain consistent over the duration of the season. The division has become so competitive it's hard to pick anyone on a weekly basis. A dark horse for me would be Brentford, made some astute signings already and with the return of Scott Hogan from long term injury towards the end of last season and his glut of goals, I wouldn't be surprised to see them claim a play off place again like they did a few years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't see Villa doing anything personally, basically still got that lot from last season apart from Richardson, Guzan, Gil, N'Zogbia, although Clark, Guyue are off its pretty underwhelming on who's come in, Elphick who missed all bar a couple games last season & some lad from Reading. I think De Matteeos got his work cut right out with this lot & might even jump ship before the clocks change......

Newcastle are the stand out club keeping hold of Rafa being the key, Gayle & Mitrovic should score enough goals with Ritchie supply line,decent keepers, Hanley, Mmenba & maybe Clark look strong, Janmatt raiding down the right...reckon they've bought well for this league.....that leaves me with Derby, Brighton, Norwich & Sheffield Wednesday in the mix...

Edited by clarky101

Yeah I agree with Kenton. Think Huddersfield could do well and be a surprise package, certainly wouldn't tip them to go down. people may see the signings as a gamble but he knows what he's doing, he's a decent manager. 

looking forward to the new season and Bolton steaming league one... Oh wait :lol haha 

7 hours ago, Neubs said:

Sorry when i´m asking, but is there any Website who have a Preview for the Leagues "Championship", "L1" and "L2"!?

So maybe with all transfers and predictions?

Transfermarkt is the best place to look at transfers but not sure on the predictions.

3 hours ago, Wanderer89 said:

Yeah I agree with Kenton. Think Huddersfield could do well and be a surprise package, certainly wouldn't tip them to go down. people may see the signings as a gamble but he knows what he's doing, he's a decent manager. 

looking forward to the new season and Bolton steaming league one... Oh wait :lol haha 

League One is a cruel mistress at the best of times. I have absolutely no idea who will come out of that division this season. Possibly Sheffield United at last but after that it's wide open!

On 8/2/2016, 5:27:04, Neubs said:

Sorry when i´m asking, but is there any Website who have a Preview for the Leagues "Championship", "L1" and "L2"!?

So maybe with all transfers and predictions?

Try:     www.the72.co.uk 

www.thetwounfortunates.com

I can see why Dwight Gayle is leading the market for top goalscorer but I’m going to look elsewhere for a bit of each way value.

Glenn Murray 25/1 Brighton. Has consistently scored goals over the last few seasons. His last two seasons in championship he has scored 8 in 18 and 30 in 42. Last season in the premier league he scored 3 in 10 for Bournemouth. Brighton are a decent side so should get chances. No way should be 3 x price of Gayle.

Gary Hooper 33/1 Sheff Weds. They were 6th last year and lost in play off final - should be thereabouts again. They have signed Steven Fletcher and have looked good in pre season. Last three seasons in championship Hooper has scored 13 in 29 (22 starts), 12 in 30 (16 starts) and 19 in 35 for Scunthorpe,  a team that narrowly avoided relegation. He looks like he should get more starts this season and with Foriesteri providing the ammo should rack up a decent score

Lasse Vibe 80/1 Brentford – Expected to struggle but went on a purple patch last season and the new manager seems to like him. 14 goals in 42 last season despite spending much of it out wide, he scored 7 in 7 games towards the end of the season, from a more central positon. Speculative but could sneak a place.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my predictions - Championship : Winner / QPR - Relegated / Hull

League 1 : Winner / Millwall - Relegated / Southend

League 2 : Winner / Portsmouth - Relegated / Crawley

Championship

Promotion- QPR / Norwich / Wigan ... Relegation - Hull / Blackburn / Rotherham

League 1

Promotion - Millwall / Bolton / Brighton ... Relegation - Southend / AFC Wimbledon / Oldham / Charlton

League 2

Promotion - Portsmouth / Doncaster / Luton / Crewe ... Relegation - Crawley / Stevenage

• 3 weeks later...
1 Man City England Premier League 2016/17
(To Win Outright)
14/05/2017 3 Places
1/5 Odds
5/2 To Run
2 Bradford England League 1 2016/17
(To Win Outright)
07/05/2017 3 Places
1/4 Odds
12/1 To Run
3 Fulham England Championship 2016/17
(To Win Outright)
06/05/2017 3 Places
1/4 Odds
25/1 To Run
4 Plymouth England League 2 2016/17
(To Win Outright)
06/05/2017 3 Places
1/4 Odds
14/1 To Run

• 8 months later...
On 8/5/2016 at 1:35 PM, AK1979 said:

I can see why Dwight Gayle is leading the market for top goalscorer but I’m going to look elsewhere for a bit of each way value.

Glenn Murray 25/1 Brighton. Has consistently scored goals over the last few seasons. His last two seasons in championship he has scored 8 in 18 and 30 in 42. Last season in the premier league he scored 3 in 10 for Bournemouth. Brighton are a decent side so should get chances. No way should be 3 x price of Gayle.

Gary Hooper 33/1 Sheff Weds. They were 6th last year and lost in play off final - should be thereabouts again. They have signed Steven Fletcher and have looked good in pre season. Last three seasons in championship Hooper has scored 13 in 29 (22 starts), 12 in 30 (16 starts) and 19 in 35 for Scnuthorpe,  a team that narrowly avoided relegation. He looks like he should get more starts this season and with Foriesteri providing the ammo should rack up a decent score

Lasse Vibe 80/1 Brentford – Expected to struggle but went on a purple patch last season and the new manager seems to like him. 14 goals in 42 last season despite spending much of it out wide, he scored 7 in 7 games towards the end of the season, from a more central positon. Speculative but could sneak a place.

Murray got some nice place money, finishing joint 2nd on 23 goals behing the winner Chris Wood on 27. Hooper didn't show up this season whilst Lasse Vibe had a repeat of last season finishing on 15 goals, spending part of the season out wide but finishing with a flourish. Maybe one to keep on side next season if he gets a whole season up front.