** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Weekly NAP Competition, Day 7, Saturday 4th July 2015

Haydock 2.50: Elbereth (1pts win, 10/1 BetVictor) Useful form of late and handy win lto when beating Fire Fighting (who was then placed at Royal Ascot in the Wolferton). Looks one who's still improving and can run well here.

2.00 Sandown Beacon e/w 33/1 betvictor all 4 wins came as a 2yo , over 5f and that included a grp2 win. Two runs as a 3yo have been over 6f but think drop back to 5f will help and 3yos have a decent record in the race so not without a chance , and is also an easy winner over CD in the past.

5.10 HAYDOCK CHOSEN CHARACTER @ 16/1 Bet365 This one looks overpriced to me, a 4 time course winner who's last win around this time last year came off 2lb higher. All his best form is on soft a that will be in the ground description today. Ran well enough at Chester to suggest he retains enough ability to win this.

Sandown 3.45 Western Hymn (25/1 bet365 bog) If non runner Haydock 5.10 Chosen Character This is my hail mary pass for today. I have no doubt that Golden Horn is a good horse, but I'm yet to be convince that the rest of this year's 3 year old crop is anything more than ordinary. So I think its worth taking him on now that he faces the older generation and this fellow is a course and distance winner

2.50 Haydock Park The Old Newton Cup is a tough handicap to win and the trends will tell us you ideally need a 4yo carrying less than 9st trained by Luca Cumani. Well, step forward Penhill who fits all of that criteria. Won first time out for the yard at Ascot and then last time flopped when heavily backed at Newmarket after failing to settle. This big field should help and remains well handicapped. Of those higher up in the weights I like the Johnston horse Watersmeet and his other runner Notarised could go well at a big price. For the competition i'll side with Notarised as i need a big priced winner, he is 4, carries under 9st and is in good nick. Notarised 20/1 Bet365/BetVic

Bev 2.25 - Cosmic Dust - win at 66/1 bog ladbrokes 2yo mdn My selection comes from a yard that can improve their horses a bundle from their first run She finished well beaten on debut but is related to winners and has a god draw here I have a theory that the 5F maidens are preety poor in general by this time of the season because all the precocious types have already won their maidens and the new horses coming to the track after Royal ascot tend to be the later maturing miler and middle distance types for next season wh would normally be starting off over 6 or 7 furlongs as juveniles. In other words 5F maidens from now on might not take much winning !

2.50 haydock nancy from nairobi would be a consistent type, and although this trip not ideal, i feel the race can be run to suit and then she should be able to stay on stronger than most. no ground worries and handicap mark fair enough, so looks to have decent ew claims. 1pt win 22/1 bet365 bog

Haydock 2.50 Apterix @ 15/2 bet365 e/w thanks Apterix.....from the Ellison yard the 5yo was lucky in last race at York 1m 4f good to soft where it found trouble entering the 2 furlong pole and being trapped inside had to make its way out to the outside before it had a chance to make a effort and going into the final furlong it showed its true colours as it battled to get on terms and took lead in final 75 yards and was running on to win by 1/2 over Marmion , although the jockey got there the yard will be looking for a clear run this time with P J McDonald taking over from Miss L Wilson [TABLE=class: cardGrid cardGl] [TR=class: cr] [TD] [/TD] [TD] [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

4.20 Sandown: Coral Marathon Taws is a big price but potentially way overpriced if he has recovered from an epic effort at Royal Ascot. He is a progressive stayer and while he hasn't won over this trip yet the drop to 2m shouldn't be an issue. He has a good draw and I hope will make use of it as I feel it is often an advantage to be up with the pace at Sandown. He may use his superior stamina to full effect then. Taws @ 25/1 Coral

4:35 Haydock - Whozthecat - 1pt win 33/1 Stan James Decent speed figures on good to soft ground over today's trip in his past and down to a workable mark today. Few unexposed types in the race but on his day this horse can produce smart performances and hopefully today he comes back into some form.