** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3

Yes fairplay to Braintree' date=' i have a bundle on Halifax at 2.15 and 2.1 for Thursday night, i'll be getting rid of some of it.[/quote'] I think you are right to do so. That was seriously impressive from Braintree tonight given the amount of games they have been playing and the fact Southport's home form is every bit as impressive as Halifax's of late. Even if Halifax win I think they are poor value now. Like I said Braintree have shown little sign of tiredness and the only thing that would be in Halifax's favour is they have Lee Gregory. Me and Ships were discussing Braintree prior to Saturday's game and I said I didn't fancy Gateshead at the price because they hadn't been playing that well and Braintree just keep getting the results. I think teams are that much fitter nowadays that playing all this games in such a short space of time isn't having that big an affect on them. To oppose Braintree at the moment it needs to be a lot more than because you think they will tire because you could have used that logic weeks ago and you will be pretty skint by now. I opposed them tonight because Southport were value and that if won then Halifax would be value at evens. Yes Halifax's home form is superb, but they are playing a side along side them in the table and they just shouldn't be odds on for it. I would also be slightly worried about them backing up the Luton win as sometimes teams fail to back up after such a big game. I would want odds against about backing Halifax on Thursday night.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 Boggen, in what way do you think it should be different. I also believe they will suffer the consequences of this heavy schedule rather soon, but on the other side their confidence should be sky high. Adpea i don't know about being fitter I really can't explain the result except by the early goal scored. I only believe that in any first or second european league having team with similar stats and similar schedules, similar travel involved, the away side would not have won in 90% of the cases.

Boggen, in what way do you think it should be different. I also believe they will suffer the consequences of this heavy schedule rather soon, but on the other side their confidence should be sky high. Adpea i don't know about being fitter I really can't explain the result except by the early goal scored. I only believe that in any first or second european league having team with similar stats and similar schedules, similar travel involved, the away side would not have won in 90% of the cases.
But you only have to look at Braintree's results to realise that their schedule hasn't affected them. They aren't the only non-league club who have had a similar schedule and again none of them have really suffered form wise. I have noticed it in the last couple of seasons as well and I won't ever make the only reason for opposing a side a busy schedule. I am thinking of a time when non-league sides weren't so professional and so would feel the effects of playing all these games. Only non-league sides are asked to play so many games and I actually think that Premier League sides could cope, but of course it won't ever happen as all hell would break loose. Braintree have something to play for as they have a real shot of the play-offs and I think that makes a big difference as well. Southport managed one shot on target tonight and they clearly didn't perform like they have been of late at home, but Braintree surely have to take some credit for that.

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 Braintree are part time I believe, they must be returning to Essex after each game, doing what work they can do and then back on the road again on the morning of the game. The coach travel this week must be a real pain at the least. They must be having phenomenal luck with injuries but that apart they are doing exceptionally well. I had extra on always confident I could trade out of it at no cost, football's not my main punting sport and I wouldn't be happy losing my full stake on a minor (for me) betting sport. I'll probably half my bet, then I can walk out of the ground without any anguish should Halifax fail to win.

I follow no one, personally. I wish I had a dollar for every dollar I threw away chasing other people's picks. I'm gonna start calling him Sheepsonstrits.
This is spot on. The first rule of gambling is to take responsibility for your own bets. Having said that, the ideas and debates generated here have been essential raw material that shapes, week in week out, what to play in the days and weeks that follow. But it is always a case of doing your own research.

Braintree are part time I believe, they must be returning to Essex after each game, doing what work they can do and then back on the road again on the morning of the game. The coach travel this week must be a real pain at the least. They must be having phenomenal luck with injuries but that apart they are doing exceptionally well. I had extra on always confident I could trade out of it at no cost, football's not my main punting sport and I wouldn't be happy losing my full stake on a minor (for me) betting sport. I'll probably half my bet, then I can walk out of the ground without any anguish should Halifax fail to win.
Braintree may be in the midst of a really hectic schedule but they have had the benefit of what almost counts as a mid season break Sent from my HTC One X using PL Forum

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 I don't know the details of their winter season, but I'd argue that it's not like a winter break if your games are getting called off on the day and you have done all the preparation etc in anticipation of a game the only thing you effectively miss is the 90 minutes. Niggles etc get more time to clear up and not develop further though so that's a plus. Halifax had a near identical schedule last year - but the travelling wasn't on a national basis, and whilst they got through it they were struggling physically at this stage, I posted on here about them trying to play 45 minutes and then sit on a lead for the remaining 45, to save something for the next game.

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 Good game at Hednesford last night where the home team scored twice in the last ten minutes to earn a well deserved point,worryingly though their best player jamey Osborne went off early with a shoulder injury.Brackley will be needing results elsewhere to go their way now to have any chance

Big plunge across the board on Grays tonight it seems. Kingstonian out from ranging from 1/3 - 1/2 all the way to Evs to 13/10 :unsure Sent from my GT-I9300 using PL Forum
Not sure where you are looking but according to Oddschecker Kingstonian haven't moved in price at all.

Although admittedly it doesn't show when the prices changed looking closer. I fancied the visitors and got dissuaded by what looked like a huge price change Sent from my GT-I9300 using PL Forum
Kingstonian should never have been 1/2 away from home against Grays although they probably would have been that price if it was a home game for them.

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 "Tiredness" is an over-used, over-hyped cliche in football. Winning teams are seldom tired, and players keep wanting to play in motivated, winning teams. Braintree's part-timers have effectively had a mid-winter break, as Barton says. Their hectic schedule has improved their fitness, their team spirit and their sheer bloody mindedness. Whilst they have had a certain amount of luck with injuries, they did lose arguably their best player (Bernard Mensah) a few games ago.

Halifax - Braintree Conference Premier England Thursday 3/4 20:45 Prediction: Halifax Odds: 2,00 Stake: 5/10 units Bookmaker: Unibet A few games tonight, however our first bet of Q2 is a game on Thursday. Braintree, currently placed 8th and 2 points behind Halifax in 6th place, however Braintree with 2 games in hand. We back a Halifax who has been fenomenal at home all season, and is at the moment on absolute topform with 5 straight wins, in their last home game they won against Luton 2-0. Braintree has played 4 matches in the last week, and is playing tonight (Tuesday) also away to Southport. Main reasoning for this bet: Halifax in great shape at the moment, been very consistent at home all season winning 15/20 matches there. Braintree with an absolutely crazy schedule, travelling long distances lately and surely they will find it very tough away to Halifax. A few bookmakers with odds on this one at the moment, more will open up after Braintree´s game tonight. But evens on this one looks quite decent.
Price on Halifax has now dropped significally. Feels good to sit with even's or over on this one now. People were early on overestimating Braintree's result away to a very weak for the day Southport. Their travelling will take a punch on Braintree and Halifax away is a very tough game for them under these circumbstances. Sure Braintree has performed well under a very hectic schedule, but tonight they will lose. Maybe even big, could see this one end up something like 3-0.

Don't .. Braintree will struggle away to Halifax which is a completely different game than Southport away .. Add some more on Halifax! Halifax 1,75 here in our eyes. Good luck!
Bookmakers in Netherlands around our own estimation, 1,75 is what we had it at. Good luck!

the price in Holland is 1' date='78 for a Halifax Home Win , is this a good price ?[/quote'] In my view win or lose no it isn't a good price. I would want odds against and probably even scope for saying Braintree are value at the current odds.

what about for the Gosport game tonight? They must be tired but against them is a side that has missed to score a goal in 4 games in a row' date=' evene against Tonbridge?[/quote'] I was on them to beat Farnborough and they do seem to have a very kind fixture list over the next few games as they're all at home so that will obviously mean no travel time and tiredness issues. They were probably a little fortunate to beat Farnborough but they are proving tough to beat and have coped well with the fallout from the Trophy final after the players that didn't participate weren't particularly impressed by all accounts. Sammy Igoe has left already on loan to Bognor and I don't know how big Gosport's squad is, but you have to question how many of the Gosport squad were upset over not winning a place, or if it was just Igoe. I do feel though that Gosport probably need a couple of wins to make themselves safe although with the games they have in hand coupled with the home games they have, they should feel pretty confident of survival so it remains to be seen whether they can keep focused for tonight. I'd probably want some draw cover as it should be a very tight game and it wouldn't surprise me if Gosport drew tonight knowing they have a small safety net. Tbh with tiredness I think its like most things in this game. Best to take it in context as it effects, or doesn't effect, different teams at different times.

...Braintree's result away to a very weak for the day Southport.
It wasn't a very weak Southport at all. Scott Brown was out from the win against FGR and they certainly missed him with youngster Charlie Joyce coming into the middle. The only other change was Mukendi dropping to the bench for Jason Walker, which is actually a positive move. It was pretty much the same side that had won five on the bounce at home.

It wasn't a very weak Southport at all. Scott Brown was out from the win against FGR and they certainly missed him with youngster Charlie Joyce coming into the middle. The only other change was Mukendi dropping to the bench for Jason Walker' date=' which is actually a positive move. It was pretty much the same side that had won five on the bounce at home.[/quote'] Point taken, but in the above i'm not refering to the team selection but they performed very weak on the day, they did not reach the standards they been up to lately. Quotes: "For all the flair Southport have shown in recent weeks, this was a night when everything fell flat" "There has been a real style and spirit about Southport’s recent home matches, but here it deserted them. Coleman’s side were subdued from the start and they just never got going" Agree on that S.Brown was missed, maybe part of their flat performance on the night. Braintree with a mamut trip home, in addition to all recent travelling and then up north again .. Halifax on topform, solid at home, more rest .. Not saying it's the bet of the season, far from. But feels good sitting with evens on this one now. Halifax play's an direct, attacking type of football at home which cost a lot of energy to defend against, can Braintree who is surely tired cope with this? Seriously doubt it. We have backed Braintree at several occassions this season, but tonight they are up for a real challange. @ Unibet has now further cut the price > 1,70 ..

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 Considering opposing Poole Town 2nite as Stourbridge seem to have done better lately and they have this only fixture to concentrate on this week.. Would appreciate any advice, can't seem to find anything in term of team news.

Point taken' date=' but in the above i'm not refering to the team selection but they performed very weak on the day, they did not reach the standards they been up to lately.
I misunderstood the point you were making. I think Southport were unable to scale their recent heights because of Braintree's tactics: they cut the supply lines to the wide men and worked fanatically hard to close down space. They did the same at Gateshead on Saturday and were unlucky not to get something there - a 1-0 win in each game was probably what they were aiming for.

I misunderstood the point you were making. I think Southport were unable to scale their recent heights because of Braintree's tactics: they cut the supply lines to the wide men and worked fanatically hard to close down space. They did the same at Gateshead on Saturday and were unlucky not to get something there - a 1-0 win in each game was probably what they were aiming for.
Agree that Braintree were unlucky at Gateshead (a game were we backed Gateshead) However, Gateshead is a team that keeps the ball very well between themselfs, they are not really the same attacking force as Halifax. Gateshead keeps the ball nicely, but Halifax will come straight at Braintree with an attacking style of play which we think Braintree will suffer against, and obviously their massive travelling lately not really in their favour here. Good luck with all bets tonight! We have started the analytical work ahead of Saturday's 50+ matches .. Look's quite interesting!

Re: England > Midweek > Non-league Mar 31-Apr 3 The thing to remember with Braintree and tiredness is that these lads are part timers, i assume they must be working on their non playing days. There is no value in Halifax's price now but the playing and working and three long journeys in a week has to be a handicap. Credit to Braintree for doing as well as they are.