Dawn Approach in the Derby

DA was clearly wound up, and bound to burn out before 1.5 miles. Keiron Fallon is the best jockey I've seen for switching a horse with dubious stamina off, and keeping it steady at the the back. Do any of you feel KF (or anyone else) could have calmed down DA ? Cheers.

Re: Dawn Approach in the Derby No. He wasn't just keen, he was very lit up. Just read that Simon Crisford thinks that something happened immediately when they came out of the stalls that lit him up. I don't think any jockey could have done anything to help him on Saturday but that's coming from someone who's never sat on a horse :lol

Re: Dawn Approach in the Derby Jim Bolger said at Chantilly today that Dawn Approach got a bang leaving the stalls and he thinks that set him alight and then with the slow pace Kevin Manning wasn't able to get him settled. Remember similar thing happening in the 2010 Dewhurst where Frankel suffered a bump coming out of the stalls which set him alight.

Re: Dawn Approach in the Derby

No. He wasn't just keen' date=' he was very lit up. Just read that Simon Crisford thinks that something happened immediately when they came out of the stalls that lit him up. I don't think any jockey could have done anything to help him on Saturday but that's coming from someone who's never sat on a horse :lol[/quote'] Off topic - I'd sooooo recomend any punter to have a sit on a horse and hack round a bit in a group. If ever you get competent enough to gallop the feckers (with long stirrups and a 'proper' saddle to hang onto for dear life) - it makes you realise just how brave/mental jockeys really are!! Good Fun!! :ok

Re: Dawn Approach in the Derby Those closely connected with the horse will always look for excuses, its human nature. Frankel was a right monkey in his early days but he still won, and if there was no pace he did it himself in a couple of races dont forget. I'm sure Dawn Approach will soon get back to winning ways but maybe should have took the Frankel route and avoided the Derby and stay at a mile for now.

Re: Dawn Approach in the Derby The Oaks was won by a daughter of New Approach and also Libertarian the Derby second was sire by New Approach too ,so I think it's too early to say Dawn Approach won't get the trip. As for the excuses, I think that's what they are. They want to draw a line through that race and pretend that it didn't happen. Rather than get beat fair and square, they elected to virtually pull the horse up and claim something was wrong. It makes more sense from a commercial point of view that the race can be forgotten for whatever reason they claim, be it the horse banged its head or it had the trots prior to the race. It's a commercial ploy to keep the stud fees high by saying it wasn't its true running. Coolmore did the same with the Richard Hughes horse which was beaten by Frankel in the Sussex Stakes last year or year before, Canford Cliffs I think it was.

Bolger didn't want to run DA in the Derby, from day 1. Was taken out of his hands, Godolphin own 51% of the horse.
Sheikh Mohammed is a sporting owner. Over the years he has run many top horses beyond their proven distance. A big pat on the back I say, very unfortunate how it turned out though.

The Oaks was won by a daughter of New Approach and also Libertarian the Derby second was sire by New Approach too ,so I think it's too early to say Dawn Approach won't get the trip.
The stamina doubts about Dawn Approach were to do with his dam not his sire.

Re: Dawn Approach in the Derby The Derby was run at an absolute crawl, was more tactical than expected. Times are a load of baloney in my own opinion. You have to look at the time and see whether it was a truly run race or not. Was the derby truly run? Not to my eyes.