robertob's eye-catcher thread

robertob

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.10 Wolverhampton: Lastkingofscotland @7/2 Bet365 - 4pts win I thought Lastkingofscotland ran with more credit in a claimer over 6f last time out than the bare result might suggest. He had the widest draw to overcome that day and settled in rear where is was a bit rough though. He switched to the inside before turning for home while not getting a hundred percent clear run there. He probably hasn't quite the speed for this trip anymore these days but he was also never really asked for a serious effort in that particular, yet he kept going when room was there. That shows he is in good nick, following two nice performances in December. Now back in a Handicap, he can race off a career lowest mark. This race is a pretty poor one, and he looks the standout candidate for me, with conditions in favour, back over 7f now.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Strange run by Lastkingofscotland. Attempted to make all and faded badly from 2f out. Pretty disappointing since I had him down as a major chance in that particular race. 14.00 Lingfield: Munsarim @ 8/1 William Hill - 3pts win Munsarim travelled like a dream of a career lowest mark lto at Lingfield. He had the widest draw to overcome and consequently settled in rear trailing the field. He made headway from 3f out on the outside but lost loads of ground turing widest of all and needed a while to hit top gear. But once he did, he flew home from 1f out and came from an almost impossible position to nearly win it. He steps up in grade tomorrow, and a result he is the bottom weight here, while he is allowed to race of the same mark as last week. He also steps up in trip, which is sure to suit since he has one over CD already in the past. I feel he has an outstanding chance off his current mark under these conditions.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Decent run but not good enough in the end Munsarim. Can't say the year started too well. Horses not running badly in general but no winner is no winner. However I remain confident in my selections, really like them all and would do them again in hindsight. 17.10 Wolverhampton: Ewell Place @ 12/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Big price and too big in my mind. Ewell Place ran a better race than his finishing position suggested last week at Lingfield. In fact he travelled really well turning for home but it was a big field and he not in the best position, pretty much stuck in traffic on the inside rail and the jockey realized he wouldn't have chance to get out there in time, so he was eased down with one furlong out and clearly saved for another day. He ran with credit the two races before, at Lingfield in November he was unlucky when short of room when it mattered, and at Wolverhampton I feel he didn't quite stay the trip despite finishing in 4th. Probably a mile is fine, not sure if 7f is too sharp, but he won over this trip a good conditions race back in 2012, leaving the likes of Arnold Lane and Producer behind him. He never could quite reach this level in 2013, but he is down to a very handy mark now and has the assistance of a promising looking 7lb claimer. So he should go really well tomorrow and has no excuses if not.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Ewell Place run a decent race but his effort in the closing stage was a bit flat and no chance to win. So still looking for the first winner in 2014. But I feel pretty upbeat and confident. Just finished a day of "horse racing work", watching replays from last weeks AW meetings, and feel I found a couple of really interesting horses. So hopefully things start to turn around soon. 12.45 Lingfield: One Way Or Another @ 6/1 Paddy Power - 3pts win One Way Or Another was a massive eye-catcher two races back at Lingfield when he travelled best of all while trailing the field, still on the bridle turning for home and than run on well despite not getting an overly hard race over a trip too sharp. He was back over 6f this weekend, what was a the reason why I left him unbacked that day, yet he was producing another decent performance, while clearly not having quite the speed for that trip. In addition he got badly hampered in the closing stages though. He clearly appears to be well handicapped in my mind and stepping up in trip is a huge plus as 1m is perfectly fine for him. He's two pounds above his last winning mark but he won two months ago really well off 61, so I quite fancy his chance as on visual evidence he looks ready to strike now racing over the correct trip. Slight concern is that he needs things to fall right for him, which at Lingfield can be difficult sometimes. But considering his big price it's well worth to take the risk.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread One Way Or Another was a non-runner... 14.20 Southwell: Illegal Action @ 6/1 - 2pts win Decent handicap debut at Lingfield at the last day of 2013. Looked a bit outpaced entering the home straight but rallied home. Gets one pound off the mark, and switches to the fibresand. Should be perfectly suited for this and in fact is lovely bred by a multiple Group 1 winner and out of a Listed race winning mare, dam sire won Breeders Cup mile. So plenty of dirt form in there and top class form, so wouldn't be a surprise to see Illegal Action improving allot with time and for the surface. He should be better than his current mark and drops in class too.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Illegal Action was backed into favourite but never justified it when fading badly within the final furlong. Huge disappointment and no excuses. Just not good enough. 19.30 Wolverhampton: Vale Of Clara @ 5/1 Paddy Power - 3pts win I have two eye-catcher to run in this race with Vale Of Clara and Chez Vrony and the later one appears to be extremely well handicapped after a huge performance two weeks ago when he had all but surly not the run of the race. However Chez Vrony was at least already in full swing approaching the home straight, this was not the case for Vale Of Clara. She travelled probably best of all in that race but at the crucial stage 3f out when the pace really unfolded, she got stuck in traffic and had to sit an suffer until a gap on the inside opened up approaching the home straight, when in fact she had to quicken instantaneously, which is not what horses at this level are usually capable of. She really motored home though, despite appearing to hang slightly to the right around 1f out, which cost a bit of momentum again. Her third place was quite a fine performance after all though. Chez Vrony finished a close 2nd and was visually more impressive, but taking all into account he probably didn't run a much better race than compared to Vale Of Clara in my mind. He just had a bit less against himself I think. For all of that he is a leading chance tomorrow and despite a 3lb rise in the mark is probably still well in. But he is too short for me to bet on and in contrast Vale Of Clara can race off the same mark again, so in fact has an advantage in the weights. She slipped down to a really low mark anyway, one she should be well capable of winning from. This most recent form works out really well too, since the eventual winner - who had the run of the race from the front - won again, and that really boosts the credentials of Vale Of Clara and Chez Vrony. Because of the better price and the more favourable weight I feel Vale Of Clara is better value though and she really has absolutely no excuses if not running a big race tomorrow.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Puh, tough one. It's like a never ending nightmare again at the moment. Strange ride on VOC I felt, travelling prominent but wide without cover for almost the entire race. Faded 2f out. Huge disappointment again. 17.30 Wolverhampton: Arabian Music @ 9/1 Betfair - 3pts win Arabian Music was massively impressive on her third maiden start while clearly not in the race to win. She travelled best of all in midfield, nicely on the bridle until turning for home. She made headway in great fashion once straighten up while not being overly hard ridden. Her jockey got a bit more vigorous on her in the final furlong when she really responded well finishing like a train, under what would be best described as a light hands and heels ride in the end. She clearly got three maiden starts to learn her trade while brought along for handicaps. Her opening mark may look high enough for what she has achieved to date but the way she travelled and finished last time out suggests she could be up to this or be even better and then she must have a fine chance to go close of a low weight in this class 4 handicap. Considering that she is completely unexposed, lightly raced, gave an excellent impression on her final maiden start, has a low weight to shoulder and probably shouldn't encounter any trouble in-running in this small field, makes her a big chance on my book at her current price.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Arabian Music was a non-runner... 16.15 Southwell: Orwellian @ 10/1 Bet365 -2pts win Frustrating sort but seems to be finally on a mark he is capable winning of. In fact it's a career lowest mark now. He was not blessed with luck earlier this month here at Southwell when he had an awkward start, didn't travel at all early on while racing wide all the time and turning widest for home, when he got severely hampered by a lose horse. It was impressive to see him picking up so well as he did again and he really motored home to finish a strong 3rd. Surly Orwellian is not a horse you want to trust too much but if he can repeat this kind of performance and get a better run then he must go close in this weak affair. And therefore 10/1 seems a pretty big price to me.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.05 Lingfield: Munsarim @ 11/2 Coral - 2pts win Munsarim was knocking on the door lately when he run with loads of credit on a couple of occasions. He was a huge eye-catcher at Lingfield on the last day of the old year when he travelled like a dream of a career lowest mark. He had the widest draw to overcome that day and consequently settled in rear trailing the field. He made headway from 3f out on the outside but lost loads of ground turning widest of all and needed a while to hit top gear. But once he did, he flew home from 1f out and came from an almost impossible position to nearly win it. He stepped up in grade afterwards and run fine in a very hot handicap, but once again could have done well with a bit more in-running luck as he was found out for space around the home turn. Last week then he appeared in a claimer at Kempton and was not suited by the lack of pace and the sprint finish, yet he stayed on very well inside the final furlong. That all suggest he is in good form and capable of running to his current mark without a doubt. Dropping in grade tomorrow will surly help to see him even more competitive. 16.05 Lingfield: Penbryn @7/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Penbryn ran a tremendous race nine days ago here at Lingfield over 1m when he was beaten in 2nd by a short distance. He trailed the field that day and travelled very much the best but had horses in front of his nose turning for home and entering the home straight. He had to delay his challenge and needed to get switched to the outside in order to get a clear run. It was impressive the way he straightened up and quickened in a matter of strides and looked thundering down the final furlong with a winning run but just didn't get quite there. He can race of the same mark tomorrow and the drop in trip shouldn't cause any trouble. He won at Wolverhampton in November over 6f with loads in hand of an only 3lb lower mark under the same rider as booked for tomorrow.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Another two utterly disappointing runners from my list. Doesn't make it any better that the winner of the Munsarim race was on my list but I dismissed him because of the price as I felt it was too short and my second runner Munsarim a better chance. That's the way it goes at the moment.... 19.30 Kempton: Divine Call @ 9/2 Paddy Power - 4pts win Divine Call has been extremely unlucky in his last two runs and really gave me the impression that he is poised to win. In fact if he is not well handicapped, who is? At Wolverhampton on his penultimate start he was trailing behind a big field and had a whole bunch of horses in front of his nose when turning for home with nowhere to go, his headway after approaching the home turn was then stopped quickly when he got locked on the inside rail while it appeared to me that with a clear run he would have won that race. He looked the best horse, no doubt. Switching to Kempton didn't prove a problem, and why it should, he won here already in the past. Again he travelled very well but had a bunch of horses in front of nose when it mattered around 2f out again, while not getting quite a smart ride by his jockey, who steered him in all sort of trouble. He had to wait for bit of room and as soon as this happened he switched to the left and produced a nice little turn of foot to finish a strong 3rd in the end. He is able to run of the same mark again tomorrow, which is a career lowest mark, and while his wide draw isn't ideal he might simply try to get a clear run on the outside this time and then he should really win I feel.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.30 Kempton: Tammuz @ 20/1 bet365 - 1pt win Missed the 40/1 that were offered early on, but still this is a huge price. Tammuz didn't run to the form she showed in autumn when she run two really strong races, one at Wolverhampton where she was unlucky, and subsequently won at Kempton over 1m in really good style. She didn't follow up but I thought her most recent run was better than the result suggested. She travelled well enough until approaching the home turn and in the moment when she tried to make some headway and really find his stride she got badly bumped and lost completely his rhythm. She wasn't able to recover and was eased down. As a consequence she drops down to her last winning mark, when she won so well here at Kempton in October, and the step up to 1m will clearly help tomorrow. 17.00 Kempton: Ryedale Lass @ 14/ Bet365 - 1pt win I thought Ryedale Lass run a big race of a career lowest mark last week when she overcame a wide draw to make all from the front. She travelled strongly approaching the 2f marker and had everyone else of the bridle. She just tired within the final furlong and finished 3 3/4 lengths beaten in the end but she really shaped as if she is back in form and can be competitive of this low mark in these poor class 7 handicaps. She gets another chance of this mark tomorrow and the drop in trip should suit considering the way she travelled last time out. It's an awful race and doesn't take much to win it, so if Ryedale Lass can run to the same form as she did one week ago, she must have a good chance of going really close.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Finally off the mark for the new year! Divine Call won well considering the position he came from in the race. He was a 6/1 SP as well, which makes it all a bit sweeter. Could have been even better as Ryedale Lass ran a big race, but finished 2nd in the end. Tammuz was disappointing though. 13.30 Lingfield: Tanojin @ 8/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Tanojin is back after a break and that doesn't have to be a problem. If she is fresh, well and fit I feel she could run a big race considering that she's completely unexposed and seems to have a lot going for herself here. She steps up in trip to 7f which should surly suit on pedigree, she is on a pretty fair mark considering what she has achieved so far and she has a decent seven pound claimer on board for the ride. Tanojin was a big eye-catcher on her last start, back in October at Wolverhampton too. She got hampered around 4f out but remained to travelled well. She made a big move on the outside from 3f out and finished her race strongly in 2nd place. The winner wasn't to catch though as having the run of the race from the front. If she runs to that sort of level and with a bit improvement left in her due to the new trip, I think she has every chance to be right in the mix when it matters. 14.30 Lingfield: Speedyfix @ 9/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Speedyfix was quite unlucky in his most recent start at Wolverhampton. He didn't break too well but travelled then strongly while trailing the field. He had loads to do turning for home as a consequence however. He made some promising headway on the inside as soon as approaching the home straight and might have gone pretty close if he wouldn't have got badly hampered around 1f out thanks to a rival racing in front of him. He almost crashed into the rails (good to see in head on) and lost his rhythm. He wasn't able to pick up again with running out of ground. This performance was an indicator for me that Speedyfix is back in form and capable of winning. He is well handicapped on old form. Lat year he won of higher on turf and won over CD at Lingfield's All-Weather back in March last year of a 1lb higher mark. So if he doesn't miss the break too badly this time and get a clear run he should be well handicapped enough to go really close.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 18.45 Dundalk: Sweet Annathea @ 10/1 Coral - 2pts win Sweet Annathea travelled eye-catchingly well two weeks ago at Dundalk on her first start since September. She was still on the bridle approaching the home straight but got a pretty brainless ride I felt. She had a bunch of horses in front of her nose but her jockey did everything to bring her into further troube by steering her towards the inside where she didn't get any run whatsoever until 1f out when she got some room and picked up well enough. She should strip fitter today and if she find the gaps today then she must have a good chance of the same mark.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Disappointing day, all three didn't perform the way I hoped they would. 12.50 Lingfield: Catalinas Diamond @ 15/2 Bet365 - 2pts win Catalinas Diamond has a big chance here tomorrow off her current mark after two interesting performances since she came back after a break. She travelled well on her penultimate start, which came after four month off the track, but she got badly hampered approaching the home straight and might needed that run anyway. She had the widest draw to overcome in a big field ten days ago at Lingfield and dropped in from there, trailing the field and having an awful lot to do 3f out. She made nice headway on the wide outside though and had to turn wide, which cost ground. She really run on strongly however and finished in manner that suggest she could be poised to win soon. The handicapper thinks differently and relieves her off another 2lb, which makes her extremely well handicapped on form. In fact she's able to run from a mark 7lb below her last winning mark. For that reason I think she should have a cracking chance to find her way back to the winning ways. 15.45 Lingfield: Shavansky @ 16/1 Bet365 - 1pt win Interesting performance from Shavansky last time out here at Lingfield over 12f in a hot handicap. He was pretty keen that day and his jockey switched him to the widest outside 7f making a big move to take over the lad soon after. He travelled strongly entering the home straight and led the field till the final furlong marker, when he tired eventually. Still he wasn't far beaten and he confirmed the fine form he showed at Kempton in November where he won really well off 1lb lower mark. He had an off day in his next race but ran to form in his most recent race then again, as stated. He drops to 10f tomorrow, a trip that should certainly suit. He is currently 2 from 2 over course and distance and therefore must have a good shout in this race.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Things didn't go much better on Saturday... 16.40 Wolverhampton: Lesha @ 7/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Lesha seemed quite unlucky on his first handicap start. He travelled strongly but got a nightmare run down the home home straight when he was desperately trying to find a gap but simply got always some rival shifting into his line. He switched wide in an extreme manoeauvre around 1f out but then things were out and over already. Still a much better performance than the result suggests and he followed up on a very fine maiden win, a form that works out well. He drops in trip, which should surly suit as last times 11f seemed stretching his stamina in the end. The switch to Wolverhampton shouldn't do any harm to him either. He is nicely bred and the current mark could be underestimating his true potential, so this price looks quite big to me.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.05 Clairwood: Lady Carter @ 12/1 Sportingbet - 2pts win Lady Carter looked a hugely talented filly on her racecourse debut back in October when she won her maiden in tremendous style. She was cruising alongside the long time leader over 200m out hard on the bridle, showed a bit of greenness in the closing stages but one flick on the neck was enough to keep her focused and she won as easy as it gets. She was a huge gamble that day and connections clearly knew, stating after the race they knew they have a really nice filly on hands and they expected much more to come. She was well fancied on her handicap debut one month later but run extremely below par. She was green throughout, hanging badly and got also hampered. Simply wasn't her day. She got a nice little break and comes back as a fresh horse tomorrow. That might be key to her but she surly will have learned plenty from her two other starts. She'll get further in time no doubt but sprinting is alright for now. she drops in class and also gets some assistance from the handicapper and it would be disappointing if she wouldn't be good enough to be right there when it matters.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 17.50 Kempton: Plough Boy @ 4/1 Bet365 - 4pts win Feel Plough Boy has an outstanding chance to go really close here. He surly didn't get the run of the race last time out at Lingfield when he travelled really strongly but was short of room turning for home and for most of the time in the home straight, while also never got any serious question asked to safe him for a better day. He ran with loads of credit on two occasions before at Kempton when he finished second and third and I thought particularly on his penultimate start he was slightly unlucky, when he travelled strongly again, but was a bit in a pocked entering the home straight and had to switch to the left in order to get a clear run. The process to straighten up and hit top gear was in the end what cost him the victory when he was beaten in a very tight finish. He didn't have quite the speed over 7f on his start before to an at that time extremely well handicapped Starlight Princess. But taking everything into account, he ran extremely well in all his last three starts, forms of these races work out very well and he is still lightly raced, with more to come and off a mark of 58 he is more than capable of winning a low grade handicap such as this here tomorrow, as he drops in class as well.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 17.55 Wolverhampton: Well Painted @ 10/3 Bet365 - 5pts win Well Painted went extremely close last time out at Lingfield and was unlucky not to win in my mind. He was simply locked on the inside and short of room to break out and start a challenge from 3f out, all the way turning for home and pretty much until the final furlong marker, while the other horses had a chance to get into full flying, Well Painted didn't and had to wait until he got free while then he had to produce instantaneous acceleration. He did extremely well to got as close as he did in the end without getting touched with the whip at all. He seems to be poised I feel as he run well over 1m before too when he finished runners up to Alfred Hutchinson and these forms work out very well. He drops in class tomorrow, has the useful assistance of a 5lb claimer and should get a clear run in this small field - so no excuses this time.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 17.20 Kempton: Russian Ice @ 11/2 Paddy Power - 3pts win Russian Ice was pretty unlucky three weeks ago here at Kempton when she had to overcome the widest draw but most importantly got badly hampered over 3f out by a shifting horse, She clearly lost momentum at a crucial stage of the race and had to find her rhythm again, what she did eventually when she finished strongly in 3rd in the end, which makes this a really good performance. She can race off the same mark again tomorrow, which is 4lb below her last winning mark and with four course and distance wins so far here she should go really well again, with a better draw and hopefully a clear run. It wouldn't take to much to win this.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.50 Kempton: Song Light @ 14/1 Paddy Power - 1pt win Song Light was a good deal beaten back in 3rd place lto but I felt he ran a much better race than the bare result suggested. He took a keen hold for most parts of the first half to the race but then appeared to travell like a dream in rear approaching home turn. He hit a bit of aflat spot for a moment around 2f out, but this was pretty much down to the fact that the pace was slow more most parts of the race and that the leading horses were able to kick on and sustain their effort without tiring. The first two + 4th placed horse travelled prominent.y or from the front. Song Ligh ran on really strongly though, in fact finishing strongly as the only one from off the pace. Considering all of that it has to be said that this was an excellent performance actually. He still didn't have too many races under his belt and is potentially on a good mark.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 4th and 2nd today. Both ran well but not well enough to end my agony. 15.10 Wolverhampton: Maggie Pink @ 7/2 Bet365 - 3pts win Two very decent performances from Maggie Pink in better class following her decisive win over course and distance in December in a similar race. She's only four pounds higher in the mark now and I feel she can win a race like this off that kind of mark. She was really good at Southwell in a hot class 4 Handicap where she set a rattling pace and finished a fine 3rd in the end. This form works out exceptionally well too. One week ago at Kempton she overcame a wide draw to take up the early lead setting a good pace once again. She tired badly inside the final furlong as a result but still held on as good as possibe. That was a strong race but she drops in class tomorrow and can go from pole position. 17.10 Wolverhampton: Birdman @ 5/1 Paddy Power - 3pts win I was extremely impressed with Birdman at Lingfield two weeks ago when he came from last to first in a big field having an awful lot to do turning for home but he won going away in the end and like a horse way ahead of his mark. He was a pretty decent 2yo and as high rated as 108 but wasn't able to confirm the promise. He slipped down the mark and ranks down to 89 and ran well at Kempton off this mark, while unseating his rider in the next start and then showed this tremendous performance at Lingfield. Up to 93 now which looks still more than fair and he should go well again. 16.30 Kempton: Mountain Range @ 5/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Mountain Range comes down to a handy mark again and he appeared to be pretty luckless in his latest start over 10f at Kempton. He was trailing a big field which is never an advantage over Kempton's 10f course and so it was here. Turning for home he not only faced an impossible task, no he got also stuck in traffic until 1f out when he got a bit of space and ran on extremely well. He's only 1lb above his last winning mark which came over course and distance back in June and I expect a big run from him.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Maggie Pink won it easily as the clear favourite. Mountain Range ran a cracker but got going too late, finished 3rd. And Birdman ran a stinker but what a strange race that was! Have to say front-runner seems to have a huge advantage at Wolverhampton at the moment... 15.30 Lingfield: While You Wait @ 10/3 Paddy Power - 5pts win While You Wait ran an absolute cracker in a claimer recently on his first start after a two month long break. He had a huge disadvantage on the huge to the eventual winner and long odds on favourite La Estrella but came with a big run on the outside from 2f out and seemed to have the race on his mercy, but the jockey seemed a bit too confident and just asked While You Wait too late for everything, while La Estrella by a neck in the end. He clarly gets the 2m trip though and he showed a fine performance over course and distance off a similar mark back in November when he finished 2nd. That day he travelled like a dream, but the eventual winner got first run from the front which made the difference. They pulled clear a long way from the rest of the field and this form looks good. I expect him really to score tomorrow as he also has still not too many miles on the clock and it doesn't take too much to win this race. 16.30 Lingfield: Starlight Princess @ 7/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Not often that I like three horses in one and the same race and then in a rather small field. But I have Aramadyh on my list as well as Frederic Chopin and it would be a pity if one these two would win now as for price reasons I dismiss them both and go with the third horse on my list: Starlight Princess. This filly is hugely progressive and showed some spectacular performances in the recent weeks and month. She usually travelles strongly and then produces a nice turn of foot to come from the back of the field. She was a big eye-catcher on many occasions before, quite so in her penultimate start when she won it on the line coming from an impossible looking position and she clearly confirmed that she is up to her revised mark over a new and longer trip only four days ago. The race was slowly run and she travelled at the back of the field, having an awful lot to do turning for home. The progressive Mark Johnston runner wasn't to catch but Starlight Princess travelled strongly as always and finished a fine third, while getting a slight bump inside the final furlong and shifting slightly too. She drops in class tomorrow, can run of the same mark, is still unexposed over ten furlongs and should go really well.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Starlight Princess nice winner - was even available at 9/1 during the day! Travelled like a dream throughout the race hard on the bridle turning for home and won nicely in the end! Just a pitty about While You Wait. Had way too much to do and no chance from his position. Got going to late when everything was long over.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.30 Lingfield: Tanojin @ 20/1 Paddy Power - 1pt win Tanojin was eye-catching on his handicap debut over sharp 6f at Wolverhampton. It was a bit rough over 5f out for him, yet he travelled strongly for the rest of the race, made a big move on the outside from 3f out and finished the race strongly in second, just the front-runner with the run of the race was not to peg back. He stepped up to 7f at Lingfield lto, trailed the field and had an awful lot to do turning for home, when he also got slightly bumped approaching the home straight and soon after even more so badly hampered, which all together robbed him any chance to finish the race better than he did. He's better than this form suggest in my mind, even though that race looks a strong one, considering how well it worked out so far. Further step up in trip should suit, tomorrow over the mile, and while the favourite looks extremely hard to beat turned out quickly under a penalty, i still feel Tanojin is a very big price for an unexposed young horse that showed some promise and should improve for the new trip. The smaller field should suit too and while I'm not the biggest fan of William Twiston Davis, his 3lb claim is a nice bonus here tomorrow and not to forget that he has ridden 3 winners from 7 rides for Mick Channon.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.40 Lingfield: The Happy Hammer @ 8/1 Boylesports - 2pts win The Happy Hammer comes down to a really handy looking mark since he got another pound off since his last pretty strong and eye-catching run. He raced in midfield at Kempton that day, looked well enough approaching the home turn but was then a clear run denied, in fact he had absolutely nowhere to go, until almost the final furlong marker, when space finally emerged and he powered home strongly, however the race was over at that point. Yet this was a very nice performance confirming he could soon win a race of now 4lb below hist last winning mark. Add the useful 3lb claim of Robert Tart and The Happy Hammer looks really dangerous tomorrow.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Stats Update: Staked: 525pts Returned: 578.32pts Profit/Loss: +53.32pts ROI: +10.15% Bets: 218 Wins: 28 S/R: 12.84% Always easier to update stats on the back of a decent run. So exactly one month after the last update I'm pleased to see some slight increase in profit thanks to the good recent days. January as such was absolutely horrendous though! Anyway, profit is profit even if it's only a small one. Have to say that I'm also slightly changed the way I worked through the races recently, in terms of what horses I put on my list, as I feel I have to adapt and adjust my style as All-Weather is pretty specific in what kind of horses can run well there and what I did for a long time does work well on turf but not so well on AW where races are simply run in a different style. So this was probably the lesson I learned from the last weeks and funnily last year when - some might remember - I had a similar awful run on the AW. I always thought I do great work, put in the effort but couldn't make it work on the AW with my selections. I have the feeling I know now why and will adapt accordingly. Will see how it pans out in the long term. But what I mean is: I largely like horses from off the pace, finding in-running trouble, having too much to do and this sort of stuff. In fact these kind of horses will more often that not find it difficult on the AW to win however, is my perception after all. What I largely ignored for a long time where front-runner and prominent horses. I don't like them. They are not "sexy" in a certain way. However they have - in my mind - a distinctive advantage on the AW mainly due to the lack of pace in many races and the way the surface works in addition to short run-ins. While I knew this all for a long time, It really got obvious in the recent month when I analyzed my selections after the poor run in January. So I'll be working according to my observations from now on and will see how that goes...

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 17.00 Wolverhampton: Novabridge @ 7/2 Bet365 - 4pts win Novabridge appeared to be extremely unlucky in his most recent start at Lingfield. He got hampered right after the start, had to settle in rear as a consequence and got then slightly hampered coming around the home turn again, the jockey had to take a pull. The nightmare didn't end here as Novabridge didn't get a clear run approaching the home straight, and when finally a gap opened over 1f out he finished nicely without getting asked for everything. With a clear run he would have gone very close no doubt, and as he gets another pound off the mark he looks to be weighted to win, down to his last AW winning mark too.