** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

robertob's eye-catcher thread

robertob

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.50 Kempton: Midnight Feast @ 7/1 Ladbrokes - 2pts win It was a huge performance by Midnight Feast here at Kempton in a better race lto when he was wearing blinkers for the first time. He got bumped right after the start yet secured a very prominent position early on, racing in third position close to a fast pace. They really went a decent gallop which is confirmed by the eventual winning time which was 0,31s faster than the standard. So it wasn't a surprise to see the front pair dropping away, but Midnight Feast battled on really hard to finish a decent 3rd eventually. This form works out quite well, so this return to form looks serious and as he slipped down a long way in the mark he looks now to be really competitive to win finally another race. He has the benefit of a good draw tomorrow and drops down in class, so every chance for a big performance.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Another super disappointing day... unbelievable... 14.10 Pontefract: Buzz Law @ 7/1 Paddy Power - 2pts win Huge price I feel for a horse that is certainly well handicapped and the only slight concern if he's race fit. But I would assume so. He's a decent record fresh, winning on his seasonal reappearance in 2011 and jockey booking is quite telling here as Phillip Makin is booked for the ride who has a huge 33% strike rate with Mrs. Burke for the past 12 month. Buzz Law is now down to his last winning mark of 69 which came almost exactly two years ago but he ran some fine races of higher marks, most notably in the summer of 2011 in class 4 handicaps on ground described good to soft, so ground conditions tomorrow should be fine too. Really interesting is his most recent run from August 2012. He was down to his last winning mark for the first time since quite a while, and he travelled like a dream through the race on the bridle until almost 1f out when he made nice headway only hands and heels ridden looking to produce a winning challenge half a furlong out just until he got badly hampered by the eventual winner. So overall there speaks allot in his favour, only slight concern is the big field size, but in a smaller field he'd be a much shorter price anyway.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.40 Nottingham: Fils Anges: 9/4 Ladbrokes - 5pts win He won impressively over course and distance last October in a maiden and was very unlucky on his seasonal reappearance last week at Yarmouth when he travelled super well but had a bunch of horses in front of his nose 3f out. He switched to the inside and made eye-catching headway looking the likely winner but was then 1f out again short of room. He had to be switched to the left and picked up again but the bird was flown at that stage obviously. He remains on the same mark and must have a big chance here in this race.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 18.00 Kempton: Automotive @ 12/1 Paddy Power - 2pts win Thought the most recent performance of this still winless gelding was very eye-catching. He almost refused to race and lost many lengths to the main field as a result, trailing for a very long time indeed, but also travelling very well actually. When you see how far he was behind at the 3f marker and if you compare this to how and where he finished eventually it's almost amazing, even though he passed tiring horses of course, but he wasn't hard ridden actually and gained easily loads of ground in the closing stages (pretty impressive to see in the head-on if you recorded the replay). I'm not so much surprised about this because he ran quite well at Lingfield before and comes down a long way in the mark too. For a 5yo he is pretty lightly raced as well. I think the step up in trip back to 1m will definitely suit as well as being back at Kempton. Here he showed his best career performance so far, in December 2011, when he finished a close 2nd staying on over 7f of a mark of 58. Down to 53 now I expect him to be not only competitive but also capable of winning a race, if he gets out of the box of course. Interesting to see young apprentice Shelley Birkett getting the leg up. She rides decent enough I think and claims valuable 7lb, she also has a good partnership with Miss J Feilden getting provided with some good rides from her recently (one winner, one 3rd).

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.05 Leopardstown: Bold Thady Quill @ 16/1 Bet365 - 1pt win Bold Thady Quill is really thriving at the moment and ran out some impressive performances recently. He's been an eye-catcher pretty much in all his last three runs and tomorrow looks a race ideal for another big performance. He finished a strong 3rd in the Irish Lincolnshire last month, but was unlucky not to get closer to Sweet Lightning, the eventual winner. He was in a pocket over 3f out, lost position as a result, and had to delay his challenge. Once in the clear he really picked up strongly and finished in impressive fashion. This form is a really strong one with Custom Cut, who finished 16th, winning subsequently a Group 3 at the Curragh, while the 4th Inis Meain finished runners-up to Parish Hall last week. Bold Thady Quill himself won subsequently a Listed race over 6f at Cork in good style and ran a huge race in the Group 3 Gladness Stakes over 7f last week, finishing fourth and coming within a lengths of Group winners Nephrite and La Collina. He was slightly outpaced there over 3f out, but stayed on very well in the closing stages. This race tomorrow here is over 1m, and his record isn't impressive over this distance, but it looks now, as he gets older, that he needs this trip actually and he stays it very well as seen in the Lincolnshire. He might prefer a bit of rain but has also shown that he handles good ground and because I think the short priced favourite is beatable on his seasonal debut I really feel Bold Thady Quill is overpriced as he might have given Sweet Lightning, the second favourite, a real race with a clear run in the Lincolnshire.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Bold Thady Quill ran a huge race in defeat, finishing around two lengths beaten in 2nd to Declaration Of War. 15.30 Newcastle: Titus Bolt @ 11/2 Bet365 - 2pts win Very interesting performance by Titus Bolt lto when he finished 2nd in a strange race at Musselburgh. There was no pace on whatsoever in the early stages of the race and the eventual winner Sartingo enjoyed the run of the race in a way he probably won't do again in his career. Sartingo kicked on 4f out and took the whole field by surprise. He soon had a four lengths lead turning for home and never gave this away. For horses from behind it was impossible to get back to him but Titus Bolt was the one who finished best of all. He travelled nicely, made some good headway turning for home and really finished the race in good fashion in 2nd place, a good deal in front of the rest. He's allowed to race of the same mark again tomorrow, which is 2lb higher than his last winning mark, but he ran some good races in defeat of higher marks, like when he finished a neck beaten in heavy conditions at Windsor last summer, and at the same venue later when he finished 4th over 12f, looking to win it 1f out but didn't stay the trip in the end. 10f looks fine though, the ground is no problem either, and trainer Jim Goldie was very successful at Newcastle last season with almost 18% of his runners having won here. Andrea Atzeni booked for the ride is also quite encouraging.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 20.00 Windsor: Bin Singspiel @ 3/1 Paddy Power - 4pts win Knocked on the door twice in maidens, when finishing very impressively at Wolverhampton in November last year, when he had all but not the run of the race, he was beaten on the line eventually. He started his 3yo campaign at Yarmouth three weeks ago and while he was under pressure 4f out and badly outpaced, he showed a lovely attitude and stayed on well to finish 2nd in the end. There is no doubt that he's crying out for a step up in distance and this will be provided tomorrow on his first handicap start. His opening mark of 72 looks more than fair and he could be easily better than that, particularly over this 12f trip.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Bin Singspiel has been a non-runner.... 15.55 Epsom: Spanish Duke @ 9/2 bet365 - 2pts win Spanish Duke looks very well handicapped, is now down to 3lb below his last winning mark, when he won of 95 here at Epsom almost exactly two years ago. He goes well on fast ground as well as on this track, as besides his win, he finished 3rd and also an only 2½ beaten 6th against some tough opposition last year here. What makes him really interesting though is his comeback run which came at Pontefract a fortnight ago. He was slowly into stride and dropped in, trailing the field, which isn't the best position to be at that track, even more so in a race that wasn't run on a rattling pace. Turning for home he was in an impossible position and the only way to make ground was to turn wide. Once in a clear he really powered home in the closing stages, staying on as the only one from behind while a front-runner won it (Lady Loch). With a track much more to suit his running style, what Epsom clearly is, he should be very competitive on his second start this season, particularly with handicap mark and conditions in his favour. It's an obvious bonus that William Buick is booked for the ride.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Spanish Duke didn't run a race at all. Very disappointing and no excused having everything in favour. Will my poor form ever end and get back to normal I'm wondering?! Can't remember when this thread produced the last winner... 15.25 Wolverhampton: Star Alliance @ 7/2 Bet365 - 3pts win He produced a very fine performance last month here at Wolverhampton on his racecourse reappearance after being off the track for almost two years. That was also his first handicap start. He was probably a bit short of fitness that day and was badly outpaced and under pressure from 4f out, losing vital position and getting relegated to the back of the field. As a result he was forced to turn widest of all and lost further ground. Then he found his stride though and stayed on super well in the closing stages to land the 3rd place. He should strip much fitter tomorrow now and should improve for that run, as this will be only his second start in a handicap and his sixth career start over all. This race looks particularly poor and I hope he can take advantage of a low enough looking mark.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Star Alliance was a non-runner.... 19.45 Doncaster: Warlu Way @ 14/1 Betfair - 2pts win Warlu Way looked unlucky on his seasonal reappearance at Pontefract earlier this month. He travelled very well in rear, was still on the bridle turning for home, but got then no in-running luck whatsoever. He was eventually eased down and he finished almost last but this form is to ignore and he should be better with this run under his belt anyway. He's getting down to an interesting mark, now just 2lb over his last winning mark. Conditions are totally fine, the fast ground will very much suit as he needs this kind of underfoot conditions to be seen at his best. Two of his three career wins came over the 10f trip, so I think this distance should be fine as well. Therefore at this price he's well worth a bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread

No selection today and for tomorrow for the daily racing stuff but want to add two ante-post selections as they have been quite eye-catching in 2012: English 2.000 Guineas - 4th May of 2013 - Newmarket Racecourse The first classic of the season and the race looks all about Dawn Approach. He was the outstanding juvenile in 2012 and there isn't a reason why he can't be equally impressive this year. He stays in training with Jim Bolger what ensures he'll get the preparation he needs from people who know him inside out. Dawn Approach is unbeaten in six starts and I have been to the Curragh myself the day when he made his debut an won well a decent maiden. He looked big and strong already that day and the development he took since then is just phenomenal. He won three times on Group level, ending the season on a career high with victory in the Dewhurst Stakes. As he is by New Approach it looks fair to assume that he can be even better for a step up in trip to 1 mile. And as he beat everything quite comfortably last year I simply think he could prove too strong for all his rivals in the 2.000 Guineas at the beginning of the new season. Just remember the Dewhurst Stakes for example. He raced lazily for a long time through this race but showed everything when asked for an effort and drew easily clear of good opposition. Mind you the runners-up was a Group winner and the third won subsequently the Grade 1 Breeders Cup Juvenile at Santa Anita. And you can look through all his races. The form of them works out well. So what he achieved last year is more than rock solid. I have no doubts that he'll be primed for the 2.000 Guineas in May and I was surprised to see him available as a 7/2 chance with several bookmakers for this race. I expected him to be much shorter and there is no doubt that he'll be much shorter comes raceday anyway. So It's a good punt, definitely a value price for me and I'm on with 5pts. Even though I believe Dawn Approach is hard to beat in the Guineas, there is a second horse I do really like and feel it could go close in this race. It's the Aiden O'Brien trained colt Theatre. He's a huge price on the exchanges at the moment, and it's not sure if he even will contest in the race but I do feel he could be Ballydoyle's best chance there. First of all he was visually very impressive winning a 7f maiden at Leopardstown at the second time of asking. It worth to watch this race back, you can do this on the At The Races website for free. It wasn't the strongest of maidens, but the way he finished the race was hugely impressive, kicking easily away from 2f out, producing a stunning turn of foot, leaving the rest of the field flat to boards behind. That looked classy and gave the impression that he's a serious talent. Theatre is also quite interesting from a pedigree point of view. He's beautifully bred, as you would expect for a Ballydoyle horse. Sired by Galileo and out of the multiple Group winning mare Rumplestiltskin who won the Group 1 Moyglare Stud Stakes over 7f and the Group 1 Prix Marcel Boussac over 1m. So the trip shouldn't be a problem even though he should really relish the further furlong. That fact and the fact that he's very lightly raced makes him a very interesting runner. He's a 54/1 chance on Betfair, and while it might happen that he's not going to run on Guineas day it is worth to find out with 1pt as if he does run this price would look massive. --------------------------- Dawn Approach @ 7/2 Bet365 - 5 pts win Theatre @ 54/1 Betfair - 1pt win
As mentioned earlier in this thread, Theatre died unfortunately some weeks ago, but Dawn Approach confirmed all the promise and won the 2.000 Guineas in fantastic style today. He dig deep when it mattered and kicked easily away from his main rivals in the closing stages. Still not sure about the Derby, but 10f shouldn't be a problem.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Warlu Way was a non-runner last week... 17.00 Newmarket: Magic of Reality @ 7/2 Bet365 - 3pts win Quite a step up in class for this filly as she raced only once in a maiden around two weeks ago at Newbury. She was pretty green that day, made life difficult for Tom Queally in the saddle and lost position in a vital part of the race. It was massively encouraging to see though how she picked up again from 2f out until she found herself very much short or room over half a furlong out however. She should have learned plenty from this experience and it looks as if she has loads of ability. She is nicely bred anyway and thought to be an Oaks contender. She has some other Group 1 entries as well and if she's really up to that class then she should be well able to beat the opposition in this listed race.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.50 Newmarket: Moth @ 10/1 Betfair - 1pt win Backed the Ballydoyle filly already ante-post some weeks ago and still like her very much. Moth was hugely impressive at the Curragh on her seasonal reappearance when getting off the mark at the third time of asking. She really showed a cracking turn of foot coming off the pace in a slowly run race that day, while travelling like a dream on the bridle until almost 1f out. This race doesn't look too bad with the horse finishing in fourth winning a maiden subsequently by 7 lengths. There is obviously loads of stamina in Moth's pedigree as a Galileo daughter but her dam is by Seattle Slew whose offspring was most successful over distances up to 1m and who is himself a Grade 1 winner over this trip (even though won over much further as well of course). So there is a chance from a pedigree point of view that 1m is very much within her range - even though further distances as well. So the step up to 1m is definitely in her favour anyway as well as the good ground at Newmarket tomorrow.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Moth finished a very good 3rd in the 1000 Guineas. Strong performance, while not getting the clearest of runs. Magic of Reality was a huge drifter before the race and finished in a disappointing fashion. 16.40 Warwick: Isis Blue @ 12/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Waited for the right race for this horse quite a while now and I think Mr. Millman found and excellent opportunity for this gelding to get finally off the mark. Isis Blue came first to my attention last year, when he ran eye-catchingly on two occasions in maidens and I was really interested to see him run in handicaps. He started the season with a very strong performance in a handicap at Kempton then, where he finished 2nd in a race that didn't really favoured him in terms of pace, position throughout the race and even more so when he found it difficult to get get a gap in the closing stages due to shifting rivals. He didn't confirm this promise in his next two starts, I wouldn't read too much into these forms though as Southwell simply didn't suit him and his most recent performance came in a very competitive handicap where he was forced to race wide and without cover for a long time. He drops in class tomorrow now and also steps up to 1m which should undeniably suit according to his pedigree, as well as the expected fast ground. The handicapper dropped him 2lb and I really expect a strong performance, I think it doesn't take too much to win this race here and for that reason he looks overpriced in my mind.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 17.20 Curragh: Imaginationrunwild @ 7/1 VC - 2pts win Waited last night to get an early price but unfortunately it wasn't to be an now I'm finally up and have to see the price is already slipping with loads of money coming for this filly. Still got 7/1 but won't last much longer I think and that is for a reason. Imaginationrunwild ran a very good race at Gowran Park lto when she travelled like a dream for a long time and was poised for a big challenge. The terrible ground conditions took its toll though and she faded in the closing stages, yet finished a decent 4th. This form works out well with the runners-up winning nto and Imaginationrunwild remains on the same mark, which is a career lowest mark and one of which she should be very much capable of winning from. Particularly on the good ground which is expected at the Curragh today, with no rain in the last four or five days here as she won her only race, a maiden, on fast ground last year. She wasn't disgraced in some good races of much higher marks after that but found life a bit too difficult, very much so on the inevitable soft ground in a rainy summer last year. Of a mark off 73 she really should be able to be very much in the mix in this not overly strong handicap, having the benefit of a recent run and finally getting her ground.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.15 Chester: Flashlight @ 15/1 betfair - 1pt win This Mark Johnston colt looks pretty exposed but I thought he ran a race full of credit and way better than the bare result suggested last time at Newmarket in a competitive Handicap. He travelled in rear that day, what was a change in tactics compared to most of his races, and not the best position in a slowly run race. From 4f out he looked to be under pressure, very much so when the pace increased. He lost ground and found it difficult to get back on terms but he battled really hard showing a lovely attitude and finished in good style in the closing stages eventually. He didn't run too bad in all his races before this year I feel as at Sandown he made all, travelled strongly and had the field on the stretch from 3f out, he fought on gamely but didn't have more to offer when headed over 1/2f out. This came over 1m as well the most recent performance, a distance that should suit on pedigree. More than sharp 6f at Pontefract, where he ran in early April, when he missed the break, was under pressure early on as a result and didn't have the speed to cope with the eventual winner but staying on well in 2nd place. Before that he won easily and in style a decent handicap at Southwell. Overall I think he's pretty much overlooked here, because he's certainly not a sexy horse, but it looks an open race and I would assume he'll go from the front again tomorrow, which should be about the right thing at Chester, and with ground to suit and distance fine and also some good performance in recent weeks in the form book I think he can run a big race.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Flashlight ran a fine race, finished 3rd.... 14.15 Chester: Contributer @ 15/8 Bet365 - 5pts win This lovely bred cold - by a Derby winner and out of a G3 winning mare - looked smart on his seasonal reappearance. He trailed a small field in a slowly run race but came from last to first to win the race with authority eventually. He looks a strong colt with plenty of improvement in him and this tomorrow is surly not the toughest Group 3 in the world. He has some more ambitious targets later the season and with his recent run under the belt he should strip fitter now so that this could be a stepping stone to more glory. I expect him hard to beat here. 20.15 Ascot: Rottingdean @ 12/1 Ladbrokes - 1pt win Rottingdean had a horror run at Notthingham lto, as he was first slowly into stride, lost a good deal of ground as a result, made this up again though, but was pulling very hard then. He improved gradually his position through the race, was then however simply locked on the inside rail. He just couldn't get out, even at the 2f marker he had to wait and suffer. When a bit of space opened up over 1f out it was all to late but he finished the race as good as possible. This was his first start this year, after winning a maiden last November at Kempton in good style staying on very well that day. I do feel his mark of 76 is pretty lenient and he could turn out to be a much better horse than this. He should be fit and well with the recent run under his belt and the usual strong pace in competitive handicaps like this here tomorrow should really suit as there is loads of stamina on his dam side. He's lightly raced as well, so further improvement can be expected.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Without knowing the result of the evening race yet, I could kick myself in the arse because the Contributer was probably one of the worst this year so far. Not because the horse finished only 2nd but rather because the price I got was all but not value, probably not even a fair one. I simply can't get things right in the recent two month and still looking for a way out... 14.05 Ascot: Robin Hood @ 33/1 Sky Bet - 1pt win I thought Robin Hood ran a pretty fine race at Newbury in a competitive Handicap lto. He was outpaced from 4f out, and looked likely to finish at the back of the field. But he kept going and ran on really well in the final furlong to finish a decent 5th in the end. He's slipping further down in the mark nonetheless and is down to a very handy mark now I feel. Before he was mainly used a pacemaker for the big Ballydoyle guns he actually was quite a decent horse in his own right, finishing 2nd in the Group 2 Beresford Stakes as a 2yo. He had his problems after that, and appeared on the racetrack 16 month later again, then in a Handicap at Leopardstown, when he made all to win from the front in good style of a mark of 90. This was still last year, and now 7lb lower, he might be very dangerous on a good day. Even more so back over 12f, as I think this is more his trip as he's a Galileo and his dam won over 2m. I'd like to see him ridden more prominently again tomorrow and think he could spring a surprise here then over this sort of trip of his low mark. 15.55 Nottingham: Sound Of Guns @ 3/1 VC - 4pts win This 3yo filly ran way better in the Nell Gwyn than the bare form suggests. She travelled really well for a long time, but found herself in a bad position from 3f out with a wall of horses in front of her. She couldn't get out there and had to wait for a gap. The gap never came as she got badly hampered 2f out and lost position and every chance to finish the race well as a result. The drop in trip back to sprinting distances shouldn't cause any trouble as I'd be worried about her stamina and the ability to stay the mile, 7f looks the maximum in my mind, so 6f could be her best trip. She has some fine form in the form book from her 2yo campaign when she finished 2nd to Rosdhu Queen in a Listed race and 3rd to Sir Prancealot in a Group 2, both over 5f. Fast ground is expected at Nottingham tomorrow, something that's really in her favour as she needs that type of ground to be seen at her best I feel. This here tomorrow will be only her sixth start and I think she can improve a good deal which would make her hard to beat here.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.50 Ascot: Piscean @ 80/1 - 0.5pts e/w Big price here for the old warrior Piscean who could be overpriced I feel. He ran some very fine races on the All-Weather over the winter, showing he's still very much competitive and not losing the sparkle. On his first turf start this year, one week ago at Goodwood, he probably ran better than the bare result suggest, as I thought he was a bit unlucky there actually. He travelled like a dream until 2f out, appearing to be on the bridle. But he was in a poor position there on the inside rail with a wall of horses in front of him and no chance to get a run through. He didn't get a hard race in the end, and was eased down eventually. So on the evidence of that race it looks as if Piscean is still holding his form, and that makes him interesting today. He gets the 7f trip (2/8 and 50% placed) and he needs fast ground to be seen at his best, so conditions are absolutely fine today. Sure, things have to fall right for him, and he might be a bit high in the mark, but he is in good nick and should run his race, what could give him the chance to be in the frame.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread RH and Piscean didn't have a chance while Sound Of Guns was a non-runner due to changing going... 14.55 Leopardstown: Bold Thady Quill @ 9/1 Paddy Power - 2pts win This might be the best chance for Bold Thady Quill to win a Group race. He's absolutely thriving at the moment, producing one big performance after another. He started the season with a huge run in the Irish Lincolnshire when he didn't get a clear run and had to delay his challenge but was staying on super strongly to finish 3rd. He confirmed this promise with a win in a Listed race at Cork over actually too short 6f. This wasn't the end yet as he ran then a huge race in the Group 3 Gladness Stakes over 7f at the Curragh, finishing fourth within a lengths of Group winners Nephrite and La Collina. He was slightly outpaced there over 3f out, but stayed on very well in the closing stages. He stepped up to a mile once again at Leopardstown in the Listed Heritage Stakes, where he travelled nicely until the 2f marker, tried to kick away then but couldn't match the sharp turn of foot of hot favourite Declaration Of War. Bold Thady Quill came still a few lengths clear of the rest of the field, finishing a strong 2nd. He's back at this track now for the Amethyst Stakes and there is no reason why he shouldn't run a big race once again. I think his two recent performances should be good enough to win a Group 3 and while there is a hot favourite with the filly Duntle in this race there is the chance that the runners-up of last years Matron Stakes isn't fully wound-up yet which would give Bold Thady Quill every chance as I think he's good enough to beat the rest of the field anyway.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.40 Longchamp: Zurigha @ 33/1 VC - 1pt win Poor draw for Zurigha in the French 1.000 Guineas which is usually a rough race but I think this is a huge price for a filly that looked really smart on her seasonal reappearance at Kempton a few weeks ago. She quickened nicely in the closing stages in a slowly run race, posting a fast time for the final 3f, to win easily in the end. She hardly came of the bridle and only had to be pushed out to bring a few lengths between her and the rest of the field in a matter of strides. That form isn't worth too much of course, but it confirmed that Zurigha has the potential to be really smart. She's lightly raced as well, today will be only her fourth start, so there is a good chance for further improvement. No doubt she's good enough to win a Group race, whether it's a Group 1 has to be seen. She's surly a brighter prospect than the price suggests today I feel anyway.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Zurigha finished 4th in the 1.000 Guineas, running with loads of credit but got a bit too late rolling. Super ride from Richard Hughes despite the wide draw though I thought. Gave the horse very chance, but it was a difficult task anyway, so happy enough with the performance. Zurigha remains a smart prospect in my mind. The way she finished the race suggests she could even get 10f maybe. Bold Thady Quill didn't run to his recent form. Probably too much racing in the last weeks, so I hope they give him a little break as I still think he can win another Listed race or even score at G3 level. 15.25 Wolverhampton: Gift Of Music @ 5/2 Bet 365 - 4pts win Gift Of Music ran in eye-catching fashion in her both career starts now and I think she looks a bit overpriced now as I have her a clearer favourite in this poor race. She won her maiden on debut at Wolverhampton over 6f in very convincing fashion, travelling nicely there and scored in good fashion under a strong hands and heels ride. Despite the narrow winning margin she was always in control of the race. On her seasonal reappearance two weeks ago at Nottingham she was allocated an opening mark of 68 and the way she travelled and finished the race suggests this could be lenient. She didn't win but was surly an unlucky loser as she travelled well enough in rear but didn't find a gap from 3f out while racing on the inside rails. She switched to the left over 1f out eventually and finished easily in 4th while not doing much though, the bird was flown at this stage anyway. With a clear run she would have finished much closer, probably even won. This came over 5f but I feel the step up to 6f, the distance she has won on debut, might suit better. I think over this trip and on the All-Weather she's ahead of the handicapper and the only slight worry is that she's drawn widest of all.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Frustrating again with Gift Of Music was rather disappointing despite meeting trouble in-running... 20.10 Warwick: Play Street @ 9/2 Bet365 - 4pts win Play Street was probably the most unluckiest horse I've seen this year so far. She travelled really well and was poised for a big challenge but simply didn't get a run. She was locked on the inside rail from 4f out and had to sit and suffer while travelleing on the bridle strongly. Just inside the final furlong a gap finally opened and she picked up straightaway finishing easily 2nd. She is allowed to race off the same mark again and I expect her to be highly competitive of this mark. She's stepping up in trip to 12f, which isn't impossible despite loads of speed on the dam side. But she finished full of running lto so I think she'll get the trip. If she doe she's not to beat here.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.45 York: Hollowina @ 20/1 Boylesports - 1pt win Quite can't believe this price. This filly rates a bigger chance in my mind. She had only two starts last year, winning on debut a maiden, couldn't confirm the promise in a Listed race at Newmarket after that then though when she was badly outpaced over 1m. She made her seasonal reappearance last week at Chester, stepping up in trip to 11f. She travelled really well in the middle of the field on this inside, but got stuck in traffic when the race unfolded. When turning for home she was simply locked on the rails, couldn't get out there and had to wait what happens. While the eventual winner, who was travelling behind her at this point, took the brave route on the inside in the home straight, Hollowina was manoeuvred towards the centre of the track, where she ran into trouble, getting bumped in a rough battle for position. She couldn't really find her balance back and wasn't really asked for an effort in the end. She should come on allot for this race I think and as a lightly raced filly there should be improvement left in her. She's lovely bred, and the 10f trip looks alright, even though further is also a possibility later on. The expected fast ground should be perfectly fine too, so I feel she has a better chance than the big price might suggest here.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Hollowina didn't have a chance today... 14.00 Salisbury: Contradict @ 16/1 Coral - 2pts win Thought this filly ran a huge race lto on handicap debut and seasonal reappearance. She travelled nicely in rear, switched to the inside over 3f out proved fatal though as she didn't get a clear run there and was also bumped on a few occasions. Despite all the trouble she finished a nice 3rd eventually and no doubt she would have gone much closer with clearer run. She is nicely bred by top class US miler and out of a multiple Group winning mare. She's overpriced here I think. 14.45 York: Indian Chief @ 3/1 Betfred - 4pts win Indian Chief cost a good deal of money as a yearling and confirmed the promise with a decent run on his debut last year, finishing 2nd. One month ago he made his seasonal reappearance, which was only his second start then. It was a poor maiden race and the form isn't worth much but the way he won it was encouraging. The race wasn't run really fast and he travelled well off the pace, but he made ground turning for home and quickened nicely at the 2f marker to win easily hands and heels ridden. He's open to loads of improvement and as I don't really like the rest in this field I think he'll be hard to beat.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Nice win for Contradict @ SP 20/1. Looked outpaced 4f out but made good headway on the inside and kicked away from 2f out to win it in good style. Indian Chief finished a slightly disappointing 3rd...

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Thanks mate, much appreciated. Had a tough time the last two month but good to be back with a bang with this big winner here in this thread and a successful lucky 15 today as well. :)

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.05 Newmarket: Hoarding @ 6/1 Betfred - 2pts win This looks an open race and I feel Hoarding is a shade to big in the betting market considering his good record here at Newmarket and his eye-catching performance in a Listed race a fortnight ago. That race was won by Windhoek in good style, who had the run of the race from the front though, setting a slow pace. Hoarding travelled in rear and got under pressure from 3f out, had to be shaken up to keep in touch with the rest of the field. He really battled hard though and showed a lovely attitude running on stoutly in the closing stages to finish 3rd eventually. That suggest the 10f trip is within his range, even though his pedigree doesn't really point into that direction, but it's worth another chance here today. He tried it once before, at Epsom in a trail, but got badly hampered at a crucial stage of the race when trying to make up some ground turning for home.