** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

robertob's eye-catcher thread

robertob

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread

I blame Norton' date=' no need to get the horse in that position from a wide draw. should have know that he'd need a charmed run to get up the rail, he had choice of where to put the horse form perfect sit as he had no one round him 3f out. Waited 70 odd days for that one to run and it also knocked me out of lucky15. Kent.[/quote'] Fair enough mate. Fully understand your frustration. It's painful and annoying if you're on the best horse in the race and things ending the way they did today. I was absolutely furious right after the race as well. Yet I think that's part of the sport and can happen. Just one of these things. Maybe you can blame Norton, maybe not... I don't do it and take it the way it is. My money was down, it's gone now, whatever I think and whoever I blame it won't change things. But what I know: There is another day to come, I know the horses I have on my list, and that put a smile on my face even after a day like this. Anyway, have a good rest of a Saturday. :)

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread lol, i was quite upset at his ride. In my eyes he chose wrong option, split second decision I know but it was still his to make. One thing is if a jockey takes the rails option and get blocked he's virtually got to take a pull and come round the field which is nigh on impossible or sit and suffer. If however he'd chose to sit behind the pace horses he has more choices on where to make his move. It just seemed he made his mind up pretty early that he was going for the rail run whatever and if he'd sat and waited a sec or two more the whole race opened up where he would of been, that's where Triple Dream came from and My Son Max was infront of him. I have avoided backing horses drawn tight on the rail for those exact scenarios so when you see a wide runner take that route it baffles me. I know it happens in racing and you have to take them on the chin at times which we all do. anyway we move on and notebook him again!

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Another Ante-Post selection, this time for the Irish 1.000 Guineas. There is no ante-post market available yet for this race, but as I am very keen on a certain filly I asked all the different bookies for a price. Only one got back to me after a couple of days: Bet365. They offered me a price I'm happy enough to take because it could prove to be a huge one comes race day.... Usually Irish racing is dominated by Aiden O'Brien but it appears to be that he doesn't has too many exciting 3yo fillies this year, so it fair to assume someone else can win this race in 2013. I'm particularly keen on one filly: The Eddie Lynam's trained Viztoria. She proved to be a top-class juvenile over sprinting distances last year but should be even better over further. She won a Naas maiden in impressive fashion by 7½ lengths in July but the real eye-opener was her big margin win in a Listed race at the Curragh, in the 6f Blenheim Stakes. She travelled like a dream and kicked easily away from 2f out. Johnny Murtagh never had to asked a serious question while her rivals were all flat to the boards. The final winning margin was 7½ lengths - again! This is a fine piece of form with the 2nd winning a competitive Handicap at Naas subsequently and the 3rd finishing runners-up in a Listed race at Dundalk to Lines of Battle who himself is a bright prospect for the new season. But it was the way Viztoria did it. So easily, and that all on heavy ground. She raced once more last year, stepping up in class, right into Group 2 class, finishing 2nd there, only one lengths beaten by multiple Group winner Penny's Picnic. Again a very good performance but I think she didn't show all yet what she's actually capable of. Viztoria should improve massively for a step up in trip though. She is sired by Oratorio. A multiple Group 1 winner over distances varying from 6f to 10f, a winner of the G1 Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere over 7f as a 2yo, and a winner of the Eclipse and Irish Champion Stakes during his 3yo campaign! Viztoria ist out of Viz, a mare who won a Listed race in France over 12f. Even though pedigree is not all it still gives you an impression of what a horse is built for an Viztoria is not made to be a sprinter, she will improve dramatically for the step up to a mile, and maybe even further though. However considering these facts it's getting even more impressive how well she has done over sprinting trips and one can only agree if trainer Eddie Lynam says "she's blessed with speed". Therefore I think she ticks all the right boxes to be a major 1.000 Guineas candidate. From the day on connections said she'll be prepared for the Irish 1.000 Guineas I was very keen to get an early price for this race for her because if she really gets to this race she'll be a way shorter price, maybe even favourite, comes race day. Irish 1.000 Guineas: Viztoria @ 10/1 Bet365 - 2pts win

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.50 Kempton: Amana @ 3/1 Bet365 - 4pts win This 9yo mare looks well ahead of the handicapper at the moment I feel, thanks to her slipping mark after a couple of poor performances. She probably would have taken advantage of her low rating already last week if the race would have been ran a little bit more to suit. She was travelling super well in rear but it soon became clear that it could be a difficult task from this position as the race was ran at a crawl for a long time. And indeed the over the course of the race mostly in second racing Time Square won the race in the end. Amana in contrast had loads to do turning for home and was also locked on the inside almost until approaching the 2f marker. When she got racing room she made stylishly headway, running on in very impressive fashion under a strong hands and heels ride finishing much the best of all to take 2nd place in the end. Only a horse in good shape that is well handicapped would be able to finish a race in that way under these circumstances. It's a big field again tomorrow and it's easy enough to encounter in-running trouble in these sort of field sizes but there is no doubt that she has a couple of pounds in hand and that hopefully is sees her finishing this race on top in the end. 16.20 Kempton: Prince Of Burma @ 6/1 Ladbrokes - 2pts win Prince Of Burma was very unlucky on his most recent start at Lingfield one month ago. He travelled much the best but didn't get a run whatsoever in the closing stages. The way he travelled indicates that he's poised to win soon which confirms the look of his actual handicap mark which looks handy enough again. He didn't win for over a year but he's 3lb below his last winning mark now. He also showed some decent enough performances in better races of higher marks, so there is no doubt that he can be competitive in a class 4 handicap like this which looks not overly strong anyway, apart of the Botti horse which might be still ahead of the handicapper. But if you take that one out I'd say Prince Of Burma is the one to beat, so if the hot favourite fails for whatever reason, Prince Of Burma will be right there I hope. 17.30 Wolverhampton: Rockgoat @ 12/1 - 2pts win Rockgoat is well overpriced in my mind. This Rock Of Gibraltar son looks frustrating but in the same way he's coming down to a very handy mark on the back of a decent performance and is also not overly often raced yet, so there is some hope for him I feel. His most recent 3rd place, however quite a way beaten, is better than the bare form might suggest. It was a strange ran race from a pace angle I thought and the front-running/prominent racing Rockgoat was taken on for the lead 2f after the start by the later on badly fading Fighter Boy. Rockgoat was also a bit keen but travelled still very well approaching the home straight and was there in with every chance but was then baldy hampered by the eventual 2nd. He lost his rhythm but held on for 3rd place, a long way clear of the rest of the field. God knows what have happened with a clear run. Anyway, he gets another pound off the mark for this effort, Graham Lee is booked for the ride, not for nothing I suppose, and after Rockgoat had to carry probably too much weight throughout the whole last year after a decent maiden win, he should be now competitive of his current mark in a race like this.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Brutally disappointing day. Amana was definitely the best horse in the race, was a lovely drift in the price up to 8/1 but then got stuck behind a bunch of horses in the closing stages and didn't get a run through. Very, very annyoing. The other two selections didn't run a race whatsoever. Gutted... 15.40 Lingfield: Spin Again @ 3/1 Bet365 - 6pts win Spin Again looked really unlucky just a few days ago here at Lingfield. He travelled nicely, and Hayley Turner looked to have loads of horse beneath her in the home straight but she found it difficult to find a gap for Spin Again to squeeze through and win the race, yet Spin Again finished really well under a strong hands and heels ride when a bit of space finally opened up in the closing stages. This horse was already very interesting for me some weeks ago, when running eye-catchingly from higher marks, so it's very interesting to see that despite this strong recent effort the handicapper decided to drop him 2lb, down to a mark of 60. Spin Again won of this sort of mark or of an even 6lb higher mark twice last year, so it's fair to assume that he's well handicapped now from a pure form perspective, but the visual impression of his most recent run, when he dropped already down to 62, very much confirms this suspicion. He drops down to the 7f trip tomorrow, which shouldn't be a problem as he's a 4-times course and distance winner (from nine starts). I'd be very surprised if he doesn't win easily tomorrow.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Spin Again piped on the line... that's the way it goes sometimes... 19.00 Kempton: May's Boy @ 12/1 Bet365 - 2 pts win He's done way better in his most recent start here at Kempton than the bare result might suggest. He had a wide draw to overcome and took over the lead from 6f out, crossing over to the inside eventually. His very inexperienced rider went far to strong then, it was a very aggressive ride from the front, yet May's Boy travelled really well and it looked possible as if he'd be able to hang on. But inside the final furlong he weakened badly and was swept by the the field, to finish only 6th in the end. With this fine performance he confirmed his strong penultimate run, when he was beaten just a neck. He's up 2lb now but still 1lb below his last winning mark, when he won with loads in hand last April over course and distance. Racheal Kneller gets the leg up again what's a positive as she won on May's Boy already and is well worth her 5lb claim. She's more balls than many of her fellow male apprentice colleagues I'd say. Overall I think May's Boy is overpriced.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 18.00 Kempton: Fire In Babylon @ 11/4 Bet365 - 6pts win Put this one up two weeks ago for a race at Lingfield when he played up at the gates and was a late withdrawal. So same reasons why he's a very interesting runner are still applying, as well as it has to be stated that this race tomorrow is a really, really poor affair and he should be the class act, if you can say so in a race of that nature. Anyway, it wasn't difficult to be impressed by Fire In Babylon's most recent performance at Kempton when he travelled nicely in rear but had loads to do from well of the pace while turning for home in a rather slowly ran affair. While the eventual winner had the run of the race, travelling prominently and was able to kick away 2f out Fire In Babylon had to work his way through the field from the rear, yet he ran on very strongly under a hands and heels ride to finish 3rd in the end. He surly looks like a horse that is well ahead of the current mark, which is confirmed by the fact that he's able to race off 3lb below his last winning mark. He's also generally lightly raced for a five year and looks primed for a big run tomorrow. 19.00 Kempton: Avonmore Star @ 5/1 Paddy Power - 4pts win I thought Avonmore Star ran a huge race last time out here at Kempton. He travelled in a prominent position throughout the race while they went a rattling pace. He probably was a bit too soon in front when he took over the lead from 3f out. He tried to kick away and it looked for a moment as if could hold on for the win but he was overtaken in the last strides and finished only fourth eventually. The winner had the perfect race from the rear thanks to the fast pace and with a slightly less aggressive ride tomorrow I have no doubt that Avonmore Star is capable to turn the form with Russian Ice. Avonmore Star looks pretty well handicapped as well judged on past form and the 1lb raise in the mark for the recent effort could prove lenient. As well as that it was only his second start after a four-month long break. I expect him to be primed for this race here tomorrow and he should be hard to beat.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Some things are tough to take and as I was absolutely confident the two selection for today would be very hard to bear it's beyond my understanding how poorly they have actually ran. I don't really mind if my horses are unlucky or get beaten on the line, as they did in recent days one more than one occasion, but days like today are just gruelling. Hitting a really, really poor run... 19.40 Wolverhampton: Lean On Pete @ 11/4 Bet365 - 6pts win Lovely progressing Oasis Dream gelding who was pretty unlucky in his most recent run here at Wolverhampton. He was still hard on the bridle turning for home but had to wait until 1f out to get a run. He finished well enough but had no chance to peg back the eventual winner who done it nicely from the front. He drops in class tomorrow, back into a class 5 Handicap, and remains on the same mark. That must give him a huge chance. Lean On Pete also won with loads in hand on his penultimate start here at Wolverhampton (despite the small enough looking winning margin) when it looked almost impossible for him to come out on top when the field turned for home but he easily cut back the deficit to win it cheekily on the line. The race after that is a form to ignore in my mind as the race wasn't run to suit and came on a day when it as almost impossible to do well from the rear of the field. Ishikawa is the obvious danger tomorrow, but has to defy a new career highest mark and I think Lean On Pete should have still much more to offer, with Gibbons booked a top man is on board to bring him home.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread

English 2.000 Guineas - 4th May of 2013 - Newmarket Racecourse Dawn Approach @ 7/2 Bet365 - 5 pts win Theatre @ 54/1 Betfair - 1pt win
It's a funny game sometimes. Everything goes wrong with my selections at the moment but it can get even worse. Just see the following article: 54432159155320420724814.jpg

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.30 Lingfield: Gaelic Silver @ 10/3 Betfred - 5pts win Already a seven year old, yet unexposed on the All-Weather. He came down a good deal in the weights since moving to the UK and is certainly down to a very lenient mark. He was a very eye-catching 2nd three weeks ago here at Lingfield when he had things not really in his favour. He travelled super well in rear, but the pace was slow and he had loads to do turning for home while the eventual winner had the run of the race from the front. Gaelic Silver really finished like a train in the closing stages suggesting he is in fine form and better than the current mark, but had to settle for second. The handicapper raised him by 1lb for that effort which won't make any difference I suppose and if you consider that he was back in 2011 still the winner of a class 1 Handicap chase over in France it looks obvious that he could be easily better than the rest of this modest looking field. Main danger is probably the Gosden horse with Buick up, but has only ordinary form to offer in maidens, even though the mark could be lenient on handicap debut. Will see but feel confident about Gaelic Silver.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Not sure how much more I can take of this. Thought George Baker gave Gaelic Silver a shocking ride and brought the horse into all sort of trouble in the home straight. The horse looked fine actually, and remains on the short-list. 20.40 Wolverhampton: Apache Glory @ 12/1 Bet365 - 2pts win Not saying she would have won lto here at Wolverhampton but she was clearly a shade unlucky and could have finished closer if things would have worked more her way. She travelled nicely in rear but was then locked on the inside turning for home along the home bend while the leading trio and the eventual winner had the run of the race and kicked away at this point of the race. Apache Glory made some decent headway in the home straight then when space opened, unfortunately not long enough as then she was short of room over 1f out and had to wait until again her jockey switched her quite dramatically in direction of the inside rail where she had room and ran on well to the line. She didn't win for a long time now but showed a couple of good performance in recent time and is down to career lowest mark. With Andrea Atzeni again booked I'm hopeful that Apache Glory will provide at least a run for the money.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 19.00 Wolverhampton: Capellanus @ 2/1 Bet365 - 6pts win Expected this horse to be odds-on for his next run, so very happy to get this price! He was brutally unlucky lto, just seven days ago here at Wolverhampton over the same sort of trip. He travelled like a dream, on the bridle until 1f out, wanted to make a move then but was badly hampered, to lose momentum. It was hugely impressive how he picked up again and even almost won it. He's on the same mark today and would have definitely won with a clear run lto, he would have won decisively I suppose and think he must have something around eight pounds in hand at least. It's not the strongest of races tomorrow and everything else than an easy win would be disappointing in my mind.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Wondering if I ever find a winner again in this thread??? 20.50 Wolverhampton: Off The Pulse @ 6/1 Blue Square - 2pts win Thought this one ran a really eye-catching race on debut. He finished 2nd behind a very smart looking colt, and clearly no disgrace to finish runners-up. Off The Pulse showed a nice little turn of foot when asked for an effort by his jockey in the home straigh but was pretty green as well when drifting badly to the left. He wasn't asked for everything eventually and came in easily in 2nd place under hands and heels in the final 100y or so. This looked a nice performance to my eye and this form doesn't work out too badly with a few of the horses behind him having been placed subsequently in the meantime. Gibbons is booked for the ride again, he has a good record with trainer J. Mackie so a good run looks on the card for Off The Pulse who is overpriced in my mind.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.20 Kempton: Gaelic Silver @ 6/1 Paddy Power - 4pts win Was very keen on his horse two weeks ago already. In that particular race at Lingfield he was very unlucky, not getting a clear run, would have gone very close otherwise. He's been left on the same mark by the handicapper and must have a huge chance. Wrote this two weeks ago:

Already a seven year old, yet unexposed on the All-Weather. He came down a good deal in the weights since moving to the UK and is certainly down to a very lenient mark. He was a very eye-catching 2nd three weeks ago here at Lingfield when he had things not really in his favour. He travelled super well in rear, but the pace was slow and he had loads to do turning for home while the eventual winner had the run of the race from the front. Gaelic Silver really finished like a train in the closing stages suggesting he is in fine form and better than the current mark, but had to settle for second. The handicapper raised him by 1lb for that effort which won't make any difference I suppose and if you consider that he was back in 2011 still the winner of a class 1 Handicap chase over in France it looks obvious that he could be easily better than the rest of this modest looking field. Main danger is probably the Gosden horse with Buick up, but has only ordinary form to offer in maidens, even though the mark could be lenient on handicap debut. Will see but feel confident about Gaelic Silver.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Another 3rd today and the questions remains: Will I ever find a winner again? Unbelievable stuff at the moment. 16.20 Southwell: Sewn Up @ 10/1 Paddy Power -1pt win He looks a well exposed animal in the grip of the handicapper but there are a few facts I like and therefore think it's a worth a small try. He appears for the first time on the Southwell fibresand and of course there is always a chance that he doesn't like it. But it also could be the other way around, bringing some further improvement out. I particularly liked his recent performance just a few days ago at Wolverhampton when he travelled like a dream, approaching the final furlong on the bridle just to get badly hampered then. He picked up again eventually, too late though. This was a nice performance nonetheless and showed he's certainly in good nick. Kirby is an interesting jockey booking, so I feel Sewn Up could easily outran his price. 16.50 Southwell: Follow The Flag @ 8/1 Paddy Power - 2pts win Think the old warrior should have a decent chance in this race tomorrow. It looks a poor enough affair this race but Follow The Flag looks to hold his form well while racing over trips too short for him at this stage of his career, still giving a good account nonetheless. It is his third last performance actually which booked him a place in my notebook, one month ago here at Southwell over 1m, when he was badly outpaced early on and lost loads of ground as a result of that. He was far behind the leading trio turning for home but ran on very strongly finishing even 2nd in the end. I wanted to see him back up in trip actually before getting involved with him so I easily ignore the last two races over 1m and am happy to see him now up in trip back over 11f, a distance he's 1/2 here at Southwell. Think he has a better chance in this race over this CD than reflected in his price at the moment.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 20.15 Kempton: Isis Blue @ 12/1 VC - 1pt win Looks a hot race and Isis Blue looks not the most exciting animal in this field but there is loads to like about him on handicap debut. I thought he ran a huge race on his second career start over 6f, a distance probably a bit too sharp, in a pretty decent maiden. He finished really well that day suggesting there is a bit of talent in him. He ended the year with an effort I'd happily ignore as he wasn't ridden to finish the race in the best possible fashion. I thought he'd be very interesting if tackling Handicapps over 7-9f and with a pretty fair looking opening mark I think he could run a huge race tomorrow. He's been gelded over the winter and I expect him to be race fit after his break as Andrea Atzeni is an eye-catching jockey booking, known as a "job jockey". Trainer Millman doesn't use jockeys outside his family too often and if he does it's often an important sign, so he has also a 18% strike rate with Atzeni. Both had a 25/1 winner at Lingfield two days ago btw.. So I wouldn't be surprised if Isis Blue would run a huge race of bottom weight here tomorrow.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Isis Blue ran a fantastic race, finishing a close 2nd. So happy with the performance, no doubt, but it also means, however, no winner as well and therefore no further profit... 20.30 Wolverhampton: Rocket Rob @ 8/1 Paddy Power - 2pts win It's always unfortunate if two horses of my eye-catcher list running in the same race as it is the case in this race. Usually I swerve these sort of races eventually but there are good reasons to do otherwise here. I suppose My Son May has made it into many notebooks in recent weeks and indeed he should have a huge chance of winning this race but I burned my fingers in the past on this one and he's a shade too short in the price for me. However I also have Rocket Rob on my list and I think he's quite a huge price in contrast. I thought his most recent performance was an absolute massive one. He had the widest draw to overcome what usually is not an advantage over 5f at Wolverhampton and he also missed the break, trailing the field early on by a couple of lengths, having been hard pushed to get back into contention. He suddenly appeared to be back on the bridle from around 3f out and travelled well enough entering the home straight. He made impressive headway then until getting a clear run denied over 1f out. He had to switch to the right, lost balance and momentum as a result, but picked up again and finished strongly. I think only a horse in good form can finish a race in a way like that under these sort of circumstances.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.40 Doncaster: Bancnuanaheireann @ 22/1 VC - 1pt win Bancnuanaheireann ran some fine races last year, finishing 4th in the Cambridgeshire in addition to some other fine performances in competitive handicaps. I'm really interested in him because of his most recent performance though, which came at Lingfield in December. He got a real horror run there in the home straight, having been badly hampered, what cost him every chance to win the race. Yet he picked up very well again and finished in eye-catching fashion. I would assume he would have gone very close with a clear run, maybe even would have won it, and would be for that reason a couple of pounds higher in the mark than he does tomorrow actually. Bancnuanaheireann also goes pretty well on soft ground, a vital ability tomorrow I suppose. He didn't run since this Lingfield race again, but I have no doubt that he'll be fit for this big race. His trainer is in good form as well in recent weeks, so there are loads of things to like about his chance and I think he'll run a huge race. Price is massive anyway.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Rocket Bob was a non-runner at Wolver on Friday and Doncaster was called off... 14.40 Lingfield: Buy Art @ 7/2 bet365 - 3pts win Buy Art is much better then what he showed so far in his career and looks underestimated in this small field in my mind. His last two performances are not really ones to take seriously as there are excuses to make for him for why he finished a good deal beaten twice. I thought he travelled very well at Wolverhampton last month anyway, having every chance turning for home but found himself suddenly in a bad position in the home straight with a bunch of horses in front of his nose and no way to go through. His jockey clearly looked after him and didn't asked for a serious effort when finally a gap opened over 1f out because the bird was flown anyway at that stage. The penultimate race was a story of getting a run under the belt after a long break I think. He was never ridden to finish the race in the best possible position in addition to his probable unfitness. With two runs under his belt he should strip much fitter now and the drop in the weights will a big help as well. He races of a mark of 62 now and drops in grade, Ryan Moore is on board for the ride, so plenty to like about him and therefore I expect him to go really well here. It takes nothing special to beat the other two in this field anyway. 16.10 Lingfield: Elna Bright @ 12/1 Bet365 - 1pt win Big price I think. Thought he ran a tremendous race at Kempton three weeks ago, which clearly was a return to form. He bounced out off the gates and led the field by a very good pace. The final time of the race was 0.47 seconds faster than the standard, yet Elna Bright travelled well and fought hard when headed inside the final two furlongs. He just got tired in the final couple of yards but finished still a very creditable 3rd. He didn't win for a while but down into a class 4 handicap he looks to have every chance of his current mark to find back to the winning ways I think.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Things look a brighter now after another winner today. Still hard to believe that 7/2 was available for Buy Art yesterday and in hindsight I think I should have backed him for more than 3pts. Anyway, he won really well, pretty easily in this small field. Elna Bright though was disappointing. 17.10 Lingfield: Ogaritmo @ 9/1 Bet365 - 1pt win This lightly raced filly has an interesting profile and ran an eye-catching race last time out over course and distance. She travelled nicely for a long time but found life a bit difficult entering the home straight with a few horses in front of her which made it difficult to get into full swing but once a gap opened she started to pick up and ran on really well in the closing stages. That was a lovely performance considering that the pace was slow and I'd assume she might be even better over a bit further. She might really explore her current mark then but for now 10f looks fine, particularly as it looks a decent enough pace on the card tomorrow and the talented Robert Tart claims very valuable 5lb. I feel there is more to come from here and if so her mark 0f 70 will be a very lenient one.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 15.10 Southwell: Caldercruix @ 9/4 Bet365 - 5pts win He ran a huge race last Saturday over course and distance in a hugely competitive affair. He had the widest draw to overcome there and had to turn widest of all for home as a result, which isn't easy as you can lose easily a bit of momentum in these situations. He really fought on gamely to finish a very strong third to some excellent Southwell horses and as he has a very good record as this track and also presenting himself in excellent form recently, winning his penultimate start, which came also at this track, you'd assume he's a big chance next time out. Connections look to have found a suitable race, just a few days later here tomorrow, as Caldercruix remains on the same handicap mark and drops in class. He should prove too good for this lot here I think. 19.20 Wolverhampton: Spark Of Genius @ 5/2 Paddy Power - 4pts win Usually I don't like horses that made a big impression on the fibresand while appearing on the conventional All-Weather the next time, like it is the case with Spark Of Genius. She tried the fibresand for the first time two weeks ago and in the early parts of the race it looked as if she wouldn't get on with it. She was badly outpaced from the start on, loosing loads of ground and was then taken wide by the jockey. Spark Of Genius improved her position more and more however and was finally back in contention with the field turning for home. She really powered home in the closing stages, even looking a real threat for the win, until she got a bit tired in the final furlong and finished 3rd eventually. This was a huge performance but the handicapper dropped her 1lb, probably due to her modest looking performances on Wolverhampton before. According to this most resent performance she looks in fantastic shape though and with promising WT Davies booked for the ride, who claims very valuable 5lb, I think Spark Of Genius could be very hard to beat in a race where the rest of the field looks rather exposed.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.40 Wolverhampton: Lady Of Burgundy @ 7/2 Bet365 - 4pts win I thought Lady Of Burgundy ran a huge race over course and distance ten days ago when she clearly didn't have things going her way. She travelled well in rear for a long time but had to sit and suffer when the eventual winner, who the had run of the race, kicked away from the front from 4f out. Lady Of Burgundy was locked on the inside and had to wait until approaching the home straight to get out there and starting a challenge. The eventual winner was many lengths in front already at this point but Lady Of Burgundy really finished super strongly and was only 2 lengths beaten in the end. She looks well handicapped judged on this performance in my mind, now down to a career lowest mark.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Awful results for the last couple of days... and I only can blame myself. I'm not so unhappy about the selections itself but rather about the stacking. It was way over the top as on many more occasions in recent weeks which led to a fatal loss of the once so lovel looking profit. Anyway, flat season is looming - thanks god! 15.05 Doncaster: Bancnuanaheireann @ 33/1 Boylesports - 1pt win Bancnuanaheireann ran some fine races last year, finishing 4th in the Cambridgeshire in addition to some other fine performances in competitive handicaps. I'm really interested in him because of his most recent performance though, which came at Lingfield in December. He got a real horror run there in the home straight, having been badly hampered, what cost him every chance to win the race. Yet he picked up very well again and finished in eye-catching fashion. I would assume he would have gone very close with a clear run, maybe even would have won it, and would be for that reason a couple of pounds higher in the mark than he does tomorrow actually. Bancnuanaheireann also goes pretty well on soft ground, a vital ability tomorrow I suppose. He didn't run since this Lingfield race again, but I have no doubt that he'll be fit for this big race. His trainer is in good form as well in recent weeks, so there are loads of things to like about his chance and I think he'll run a huge race. Price is massive anyway. 17.10 Kempton: Ready @ 5/1 VC - 3pts win This speedy gelding caught my eye for the first time when he appeared for the first time on the All-Weather at Lingfield in November, winning in really good style. He clearly looked like a horse that has much more to offer and indeed he followed up in impressive fashion a couple of days later winning in a conditions stakes at the same track. The form works out well enough and the time figures speaking in his favour but I was yet again really impressed by the visual part of this performance in particular as it was the case in his start before as well. Both times he produced a lovely turn of foot in a way you don't get to see it too often on the All-Weather. He steps up to a mile now, a trip he should get actually if I take in to consideration how he finished his races the last two times. While he's by a speedy sire there is also a good deal of stamina on the dam side as his mother was a multiple winner over 10f on the All-Weather. So I think there is a fair chance that he'll get the trip, it should even bring out further improvement and there is way more to come anyway I feel. His current handicap mark could be lenient in my mind.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 16.10 Yarmouth: Smart Spender @ 4/1 VC - 3pts win Thought Smart Spender ran promising on his seasonal reappearance which was also his first handicap start. He came a bit under pressure from 3f out and didn't have a chance with the winner but he ran on very well under an easy hands and heels ride to finish a decent enough third in a race that looked competitive. I expect him to improve fitness wise with this run under his belt, he also drops down in class but is able to race of a mark of 80 again. He's still lightly raced as last week was only his third ever start, before that he won at the second time of asking an ordinary 5f maiden at Southwell in really good style last year. So with more to come from from him I think Smart Spender should go close here.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 17.00 Lingfield: Jewelled @ 9/2 VC - 3pts win She was seriously unlucky in her last two starts since returning from a five month long break. At Kempton on her return run she didn't get a clear run in a crucial stage of the race, still managed to finish a strong 3rd and last month at Lingfield she travelled very well in rear but was forced to turn very wide and as a result she lost loads of ground which she made up in impressive fashion in the closing stages coming from an almost impossible fashion to lose out by a neck eventually. She's 2lb up for this effort but she looks so well in form and with these two runs under her belt she might be even fitter and better now. She must be a serious chance in this field anyway I think.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.20 Lingfield: Time Square @ 3/1 Bet365 - 4pts win Time Square was in pretty good form this winter, winning twice in February at Kempton. He looks still in good shape and on a winnable mark judged on his most recent performance at Kempton, when he was pulling very hard early on and made then a bold move halfway through the race taking up the lead and increasing the already generous looking pace. He took the field into the home straight travelling very well and was still able to finish the race in 3rd position despite using so much energy before already. He remains on the same mark for this performance and gets his chance now in a poor apprentice handicap. His ability to race handily should help at a track like Lingfield very much, as the danger is always here that the race is run slowly and then it's certainly an advantage to be ridden close to the pace. 16.40 Lingfield: Rocket Rob @ 12/1 VC - 2pts win I was keen on Rocket Rob two weeks ago when he was a non-runner eventually though, but still think this horse looks very interesting and should have a decent chance tomorrow hin this race. Wrote the last time:

I thought his most recent performance was an absolute massive one. He had the widest draw to overcome what usually is not an advantage over 5f at Wolverhampton and he also missed the break, trailing the field early on by a couple of lengths, having been hard pushed to get back into contention. He suddenly appeared to be back on the bridle from around 3f out and travelled well enough entering the home straight. He made impressive headway then until getting a clear run denied over 1f out. He had to switch to the right, lost balance and momentum as a result, but picked up again and finished strongly. I think only a horse in good form can finish a race in a way like that under these sort of circumstances.

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread Time to clean out and update the stats even if it hurts. A loss of 66.50pts over the last six weeks is something I've never experienced before (profit for this thread went down from around 82 to 15) and has obviously an impact on my confidence. All that went so well over a very long period of more than half a year changed within a short time and there is this feeling that everything is going against me. That's wrong thinking of course and I only can blame myself as probably the selections weren't as strong and my staking was poor in recent weeks. Still this is tough to take and I need to pick up, improving my selection process again, which means being more selective and conservative in terms of stacking. Hope it works... Staked: 206pts Returned: 221.82pts Profit/Loss: +15.82pts ROI: +7.68% Bets: 63 Wins: 11 S/R: 17.46%

Re: robertob's eye-catcher thread 14.50 Kempton: Aegaeus @ 7/4 Ladbrokes - 7pts win This 77 rated gelding came to my attention for the first time last November in a Handicap at Lingfield when he was pretty unlucky not to win the race, finishing in a way suggesting he could be much better than his mark and actual form. He won after that a maiden, a form that works out very well and he was put away for the rest of the winter. There are some positive vibes about him from the yard and I think he can turn into a really nice handicapper this year, exploring his lenient looking mark as I feel he has a good deal in hand.