** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax)

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Ajax v Manchester City (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]1.81[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.25 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row1] [TD=align: center]maximize.gif[/TD] [TD=class: firstColumn]Borussia Dortmund v Real Madrid (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.7[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.05 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Ajax v Manchester City Like City here, price is decent and I think they will come away with the 3 points. It might sound daft considering they have played Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund but this game against, what I consider to be the minnows of the group, is probably Man City's biggest game so far this season, those previous games mean that they really need to get 6 points out of these two games to stand a chance of going through. City really want Madrid to get the three points in Dortmund too, God only knows which way that one will go though and is the game of the round for me should be a fantastic tie. Anyhow, City have one point so far and that was undeserved after they got battered by Dortmund, don't think City will go as gung-ho in this one with 4 natural, attacking players as it leaves them so open when anyone runs through them, Barry will play and is a quite underrated player for City with probably Milner alongside him in defensive midfield role. Kompany is out so Lescott will likely play alongside Richards at centre back. ----------------------------------------Hart-------------------------------- --Zabaleta-----------------Richards-------------Lescott-------------Kolarov-- ---------------------Milner---------------------------Barry------------------- --------------------------------------Yaya---------------------------------- ----------------Agüero-----------------------------Tévez/Silva/Nasri--------- -------------------------------------Džeko---------------------------------- Quite like the balance of that side, attackers got isolated against Dortmund and I think this team would have decent balance, Silva might be back for the game but I think he will start on the bench with either Tevez or Nasri taking the role Tevez probably gives them more defensively so may get the nod, Aguero being back gives them a massive boost as he is the best attacker at the club and Dzeko should start up top after his double at the weekend. I haven't watched Ajax too much this season but they don't look as strong as last year, they threw away a two goal lead against Heracles at the weekend to draw 3-3 and its fair to say Man City wouldn't have conceded any of the goals Heracles did, most of the defending on show was shambolic, keeper Vermeer is under pressure a bit but should keep his place would be a risk to thrown in Cillessen, the only other option. Their team looks pretty lightweight compared to City too, Poulsen will be no match for Toure and will need help from Eriksen who is probably Ajax's best player and De Jong who will have to put in a fair amount of defensive work, which isn't the strongest part of his game. ---------------------------------------Vermeer--------------------------------- --Van Rhijn------------Alderweireld---------------Moisander--------------Blind-- ------------------De Jong------------Poulsen----------Eriksen------------------ ---------------Sana-------------------Babel---------------Boerrigter----------- I put a fairly big antepost bet on PSV for the Eredivisie pre season as I thought Ajax overachieved last season and they haven't looked impressive so far this season, they are always going to win more than most teams in the Dutch league but have thrown away plenty of points this season and I don't think they are defensively sound, losing two key players in Vertonghen and van der Wiel. I don't think they can attack from the off as City look very good on the counter and the defensive side of their game isn't strong enough to compete with City if they allow them too much of the ball. Tactically they have struggled when playing better teams and with City really needing to win Mancini can't afford rotation, the financial implications are obvious but above all I think City are the stronger team although I don't think its going to be a hammering, City have shown little inclination to put teams to the sword in this competition and I see a tight game, City are likely to play it tight and nullify the natural attacking instincts of Ajax, if you had backed 2 or 3 goals in Man City's CL games over the last 2 years you would have won 7 out of 8 times, and 3 of 4 away games in the Premiership this season too. I think this will happen again this time 0-2 or 1-2 would be my call. Man City -0.5-1.0AH - 1.95 - bet365 - 5 Points Total Goals 2-3 - 2.1 - betvictor - 5 Points

Could you really trust City in Europe though? 1.8 for an away side in Europe looks awful to me, and Ajax usually concede poor goals in the Eredivisie because the rest of the opposition bar the top few teams is sub standard. They don't have to get into top gear much. Maybe another Both to score game as City always concede these days, and Ajax are being underestimated.

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Can't really find City anywhere above 3/4 at present which is too short for me, I would probably make a 1 unit play at 5/6 but I don't think Mancini's side will drift out again. BTS market seems to be offering 3/4 at best which is also too short for me.

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax)

Could you really trust City in Europe though? 1.8 for an away side in Europe looks awful to me' date=' and Ajax usually concede poor goals in the Eredivisie because the rest of the opposition bar the top few teams is sub standard. They don't have to get into top gear much. Maybe another Both to score game as City always concede these days, and Ajax are being underestimated.[/quote'] Ajax concede lots of goals because they aren't very good defensively, no other reason. Haven't lost a game yet this season in the league but draws with Heerenveen, ADO Den Haag, Utrecht, AZ and Heracles are hardly impressive as they are hardly powerhouses of Dutch football. Ajax might score but I don't see much in their attack that makes me think they are likely to score more than one, Kompany is a miss for City though. Ajax are the worst side City have played in the CL in the last two seasons.

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Man. City -1 @2.90 on unibet is a good value in my opinion. The truth is that Ajax don't have the squad which is ready for the CL, you can see that time and time again in the big matches. Real Madrid easily outplays them while not even putting in a 100%. Normally Real Madrid play them at 70% of their strenght and only put that percentage up when they need a goal, a goal which will come very easily when the Ajax defense is put under a bit of pressure. The thing is that Manchester City has to play at a 100% focus and contribution looking at the group table. Considering the strenght of the Manchester City midfield and attack I predict huge problems for Ajax here. Looking at the Ajax squad, the defense is shaky, midfield is decent and I don't think the attack can harm Man City a real lot. They will most likely be playing with Babel, Sana and Boerrigter upfront. Boerrigter is in a terrible form, Sana can not handle CL level and Babel is a decent player but I don't think Kompany will loose any sleep over him. Maybe an other winger will play instead of Sana of Boerrigter, but that would be Lukoki or De Sa, two youth players who also don't have what it takes to compete at CL the CL level.

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) 4pts Man City to beat Ajax 3/4 William Hill Although City haven’t really got going in the Champions League we must remember that they weren’t far away from beating Real Madrid in the opening game of the group and if they can produce a performance like that here they should have too much for a young Ajax side who aren’t the force they used to be even though they are the Dutch champions. City will know the importance of the double header with Ajax and I expect them to get right into the mix in this group of death with a win here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/ajax-vs-man-city-betting-man-city-can-pick-up-that-elusive-win-in-amsterdam

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Borussia - Real Under 3 goals (Asian Line) @ 1.925 Here I go against the expectations of most people. My reason to take this bet is related to the motivation of both teams. Borussia has a good record of four points, including a draw away from home against probably their main rival for the second place. They are aware that they face Real Madrid - a team with formidable striking power. I don't think that they will jump carelessly into attacking. Real Madrid, on the other hand, has got full house of points so far and plays away from home against a very tough opponent. Having this in mind and knowing how Mourinho approaches away games in tournaments, I see no reason to expect Real Madrid to be too exposed either. I think that both teams will be happy with the draw and it is a very likely outcome. I take the asian line as a precaution, because over 2.5 is not so much higher, but it has significantly more risk.

I will follow you on that HastGill. My instinct was also that City were too big @ 1.8 or so' date=' you have written a better summary than I could have done though![/quote'] And what about Aguero to score @2,isn't that value:p

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) I dont have specific knowledge about this game but someone from Germany may help me about Dortmund's team players. We consider Germans as machines. They wont be easily demolished by dropping back while game is being played. I mean if scoreboard shows 1-0 on behalf of R.Madrid this wont be called goal fest will begin. Not easily demoralize and lose their calm and attack without thinking consequences untill the end of the match. So from my point of view I will prefer these 3 bets untill I will read specific ideas which may force me to alter my bet in this iste. My Bet Predictions: 1- Half Time DRAW 2- Under 2,5 Goals 3- 2-3 Goals Total ( More secure than Under 2,5 if I refer) PS: How many foreigner are gonna be in possible line up in B.Dortmund?

Ajax v Manchester City Like City here, price is decent and I think they will come away with the 3 points. It might sound daft considering they have played Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund but this game against, what I consider to be the minnows of the group, is probably Man City's biggest game so far this season, those previous games mean that they really need to get 6 points out of these two games to stand a chance of going through. City really want Madrid to get the three points in Dortmund too, God only knows which way that one will go though and is the game of the round for me should be a fantastic tie. Anyhow, City have one point so far and that was undeserved after they got battered by Dortmund, don't think City will go as gung-ho in this one with 4 natural, attacking players as it leaves them so open when anyone runs through them, Barry will play and is a quite underrated player for City with probably Milner alongside him in defensive midfield role. Kompany is out so Lescott will likely play alongside Richards at centre back. ----------------------------------------Hart-------------------------------- --Zabaleta-----------------Richards-------------Lescott-------------Kolarov-- ---------------------Milner---------------------------Barry------------------- --------------------------------------Yaya---------------------------------- ----------------Agüero-----------------------------Tévez/Silva/Nasri--------- -------------------------------------Džeko---------------------------------- Quite like the balance of that side, attackers got isolated against Dortmund and I think this team would have decent balance, Silva might be back for the game but I think he will start on the bench with either Tevez or Nasri taking the role Tevez probably gives them more defensively so may get the nod, Aguero being back gives them a massive boost as he is the best attacker at the club and Dzeko should start up top after his double at the weekend. I haven't watched Ajax too much this season but they don't look as strong as last year, they threw away a two goal lead against Heracles at the weekend to draw 3-3 and its fair to say Man City wouldn't have conceded any of the goals Heracles did, most of the defending on show was shambolic, keeper Vermeer is under pressure a bit but should keep his place would be a risk to thrown in Cillessen, the only other option. Their team looks pretty lightweight compared to City too, Poulsen will be no match for Toure and will need help from Eriksen who is probably Ajax's best player and De Jong who will have to put in a fair amount of defensive work, which isn't the strongest part of his game. ---------------------------------------Vermeer--------------------------------- --Van Rhijn------------Alderweireld---------------Moisander--------------Blind-- ------------------De Jong------------Poulsen----------Eriksen------------------ ---------------Sana-------------------Babel---------------Boerrigter----------- I put a fairly big antepost bet on PSV for the Eredivisie pre season as I thought Ajax overachieved last season and they haven't looked impressive so far this season, they are always going to win more than most teams in the Dutch league but have thrown away plenty of points this season and I don't think they are defensively sound, losing two key players in Vertonghen and van der Wiel. I don't think they can attack from the off as City look very good on the counter and the defensive side of their game isn't strong enough to compete with City if they allow them too much of the ball. Tactically they have struggled when playing better teams and with City really needing to win Mancini can't afford rotation, the financial implications are obvious but above all I think City are the stronger team although I don't think its going to be a hammering, City have shown little inclination to put teams to the sword in this competition and I see a tight game, City are likely to play it tight and nullify the natural attacking instincts of Ajax, if you had backed 2 or 3 goals in Man City's CL games over the last 2 years you would have won 7 out of 8 times, and 3 of 4 away games in the Premiership this season too. I think this will happen again this time 0-2 or 1-2 would be my call. Man City -0.5-1.0AH - 1.95 - bet365 - 5 Points Total Goals 2-3 - 2.1 - betvictor - 5 Points
As far as I can see Kompany is in the squad and is set to start. Where did you get it from he was to miss out? If he does start the this further supports a Man City win :-)

Boerrigter is in a terrible form' date=' Sana can not handle CL level and Babel is a decent player but I don't think [b']Kompany will loose any sleep over him.
He miss this game due to suspension. Ajax will play the Dutch greatest derby at De Kuip next weekend. However, I expect them to play attacking (trying to apply the Dortmund approach from Manchester). City is the better team even though will be without important Silva, and they should win. I still didn't take the bet, but away win with over 2,5 goals @2.50 at local looks interesting to me. I expect a very interesting match in Dortmund, but also Real performance in Germany so far is amazing to me, with 1-6-16.

He miss this game due to suspension. Ajax will play the Dutch greatest derby at De Kuip next weekend. However, I expect them to play attacking (trying to apply the Dortmund approach from Manchester). City is the better team even though will be without important Silva, and they should win. I still didn't take the bet, but away win with over 2,5 goals @2.50 at local looks interesting to me. I expect a very interesting match in Dortmund, but also Real performance in Germany so far is amazing to me, with 1-6-16.
Are you sure Kompany is suspended because I've checked BBC, Sky Sports and UEFA and cannot see any evidence of this?

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) "Silva had been given an outside chance of making the squad for the crucial Champions League Group D tie in Amsterdam on Wednesday by City coach Brian Kidd following Saturday’s Premier Leaguevictory at West Brom, which the Spanish midfielder missed due to the injury. But it has now emerged that Silva, who signed a new five-year contract at City last month, will not travel to Holland after instead returning to Spain to undergo intensive treatment on the sustained while playing for the world and European champions against France last week. City manager Roberto Mancini has ruled Silva out of his plans for the Ajax game and also the weekend meeting with Swansea City at the Etihad Stadium. And with City needing to win both of their forthcoming Champions League clashes with Ajax to retain hope of qualification for the knock-out stages, Silva is likely to be sidelined until the return fixture against the Dutch champions on Nov 6. Midfielder Javi Garcia and full-back Maicon are both battling to overcome recent injuries in order to travel to Amsterdam, but Kidd is hopeful that the pair will be fit to take their place in the squad. “Javi Garcia and Maicon are there or thereabouts.” Kidd said. “They have done a little bit of training, but haven’t done everything yet. We are hoping the next couple of days will bring them on.” Vincent Kompany, City’s captain, is continuing to play despite not having fully recovered from a calf niggle that has bothered him for some time. Meanwhile, Daniele De Rossi, the Roma midfielder who has been continuously linked with a move to City over the past year, is to stay in the Italian capital, according Franco Baldini, the Serie A club’s director. Speculation increased when tension between De Rossi and Zdenek Zeman, the Roma coach, led to the player being left out of a recent match but Baldini said: “We are proud of our team, especially De Rossi.” " From www.telegraph.co.uk

As far as I can see Kompany is in the squad and is set to start. Where did you get it from he was to miss out? If he does start the this further supports a Man City win :-)
You are correct sir! He had been booked twice already in the group change so I presumed he was suspended but seems UEFA have changed the rule and you can now be booked 3 times in the group stage before being suspended. He is available to play and it further strengthens the City bet.

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Most likely starting line-ups tonight will be Ajax: -----------------------------Vermeer-------------------------- -----Van Rhijn----Alderweireld---Moisander---Blind--------- ---------De Jong------------Poulsen--------Eriksen---------- ----------Sana---------------Babel--------Boerrigter--------- Man City: --------------------------------Hart----------------------------- ---Zabaleta------Kompany----------Lescott------Clichy------ -------------------Barry--------------Toure-------------------- --------Aguero-------------Nasri--------------Balotelli-------- ----------------------------Dzeko------------------------------- This is based on the info from a Dutch newspaper. Looks pretty likely to me, especially the Ajax squad. If this is really going to be the case I would def. go for Man City, they are superb in every position. Looking at the 4 guys upfront at City they should be able to destroy Ajax defense, and on the other hand the City defense should be able to eliminate the Ajax attack. Especially if Kompany is playing.

Most likely starting line-ups tonight will be Ajax: -----------------------------Vermeer-------------------------- -----Van Rhijn----Alderweireld---Moisander---Blind--------- ---------De Jong------------Poulsen--------Eriksen---------- ----------Sana---------------Babel--------Boerrigter--------- Man City: --------------------------------Hart----------------------------- ---Zabaleta------Kompany----------Lescott------Clichy------ -------------------Barry--------------Toure-------------------- --------Aguero-------------Nasri--------------Balotelli-------- ----------------------------Dzeko------------------------------- This is based on the info from a Dutch newspaper. Looks pretty likely to me, especially the Ajax squad. If this is really going to be the case I would def. go for Man City, they are superb in every position. Looking at the 4 guys upfront at City they should be able to destroy Ajax defense, and on the other hand the City defense should be able to eliminate the Ajax attack. Especially if Kompany is playing.
With all due respect I don't think City will go with that line-up, it doesn't work in Europe. Going with such an attacking front 4 of Aguero, Nasri, Balotelli and Dzeko will mean that the midfield and defence will get horribly exposed like they did in the game against Dortmund, only Ageuro will track back, Nasri and Balotelli will have no interest. The 'play more strikers and we will score more goals' mentality is rarely proved to be the case, Mancini has always been a fairly conservative coach although he has changed that perception of himself in the last season or so, still I think it would be suicide to go with a forward line like that. I still think he will go with Milner alongside Barry with Toure in the more advanced role and Nasri and Aguero supporting Dzeko now Silva is confirmed out. Playing Tevez too would be too much of a risk tactically and Dzeko needs service to thrive which Nasri is more likely to provide.

Re: Group D > Oct 24 (Man City, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Ajax) Champions Leauge- Today 20.45 CET- Ajax Amsterdam-Manchester City AH-0.5 @1.92 3/10 pinnacle Ajax with a poor squad considering the Champions League. With the exception of Eriksen, they don't have great players. Probably starting with Babel as the striker today. He was at Hoffenheim until a couple of weeks ago and he was so poor. He is no main striker, rather a winger with average skills. Man City are still away from their last season's form but getting better. They miss out on Silva, Rodwell, Maicon, Javi Garcia and Kolo Toure. The last 4 are no regulars, so no real blow plus Maicon was far away from his best he showed at Inter when they won the Champions League. Dzeko should start here after being on the score sheet twice after coming on very late. City is much better and this is a class difference. City have to win as they are having just one point on their account. City to win. GL

With all due respect I don't think City will go with that line-up, it doesn't work in Europe. Going with such an attacking front 4 of Aguero, Nasri, Balotelli and Dzeko will mean that the midfield and defence will get horribly exposed like they did in the game against Dortmund, only Ageuro will track back, Nasri and Balotelli will have no interest. The 'play more strikers and we will score more goals' mentality is rarely proved to be the case, Mancini has always been a fairly conservative coach although he has changed that perception of himself in the last season or so, still I think it would be suicide to go with a forward line like that. I still think he will go with Milner alongside Barry with Toure in the more advanced role and Nasri and Aguero supporting Dzeko now Silva is confirmed out. Playing Tevez too would be too much of a risk tactically and Dzeko needs service to thrive which Nasri is more likely to provide.
Sounds reasonable, thanks for the reply. I was only quoting the newspaper of this morning so your comment definitely helps me at least. Although I don't think it would make a real difference for the end result if Milner would play instead of Balotelli.

B.Dortmund - Real Madrid Referee for the match is Victor Kassai from Hungary who shows many cards. Over 45 Booking Points @ 1.85 (3 units) William Hill Over 55 Booking Points @ 2.70 (2 units) William Hill
Tempting. But it's not really a 'crunch' all-or-nothing clash is it? These two sides are favourites to qualify. Neither 'has to win' tonight - in fact both might be happy with a draw. In fact, both sides will still be in a good position even if they lose. So I wonder how aggressive the tackles will be in this game.

Tempting. But it's not really a 'crunch' all-or-nothing clash is it? These two sides are favourites to qualify. Neither 'has to win' tonight - in fact both might be happy with a draw. In fact' date=' both sides will still be in a good position even if they lose. So I wonder how aggressive the tackles will be in this game.[/quote'] In my opinion it's not about how aggressive tackles will be. The referee is "crazy" so he is likely to show a yellow card when most other referees would not.