BBOTD Friday 17th of August

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August Michael Bell's filly Tahlia Ree takes a big step up in class for only her third run in Newmarket's 8:05 tomorrow evening. She won what can only be described as a weak maiden on soft ground extremely convincingly last time out. This came after a very promising debut effort at Yarmouth in July when she was beaten only by Godolphin's Ihtifal who has since gone on to perform well in 3yo class three company. Tahlia Ree has been given an opening mark of 75 and obviously Michael Bell has seen enough from her to chance her in this tricky affair. That mark of 75 will get her in here carrying just 8-2 and Ian Burns is booked and he still has his 7lb claim, so providing how many meals he has between now and 8:05 tomorrow will establish just how much weight Tahlia Ree will carry. On the 13th of August, Burns rode a horse at Lingfield who was carrying just 7-9. So that is how low Burns can get his weight. That will be 1+ stone lighter than most of the other contenders here. The horse is sired by Acclamation, so I would very much like it to stay on the firmer side. She could be absolutely anything or absolutely nothing, but with the weights the way they are, she wouldn't even have to be a world beater to get her head in front of this lot. Very much a gamble and not much of a price for it, but it will be interesting to see how she goes. Tahlia Ree at 9/2 with Paddy Power, Newmarket's 8:05.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August Catterick 815 - Tamara Bay 5/1 Bet365 BOG This horse is a game front runner who should be suited to this sharp track. She has done well on the last couple of occasions without quite getting her head in front but with the conditions set to suit and from a decent draw I am expecting a big run. The favourite is also a front runner which could cause the selection some problems.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 5.50 Newbury Matavia Bay 1pt win @ 6/1 Bet365 Think I will jump on the Alan Jarvis bandwagon here and hope he can bag another winner. This horse bolted up back in June by 6 lengths when the yard weren't in such good form but couldn't back it up over 13f at this track. I think the drop back to 9f here will suit and with the yard going brillliantly he must have a good chance. Michael J M Murphy is doing extremely well at the moment and is quickly shedding his claim. This is compeititve but this horse open to more improvement and conditions here will be fine for him.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 3.15 Nottingham INVIGILATOR win @ 9/1 bog (Bet365) This is a poor class 6 handicap (0-60) over 5f13y. The ground is officially good at the moment but with plenty of rain forecast in that area in the next few days it could well turn to be softer than good. My selection is a 4yo gelding still very lightly raced on turf. This will be just his 7th start on turf and so far he didn't run as well on grass as he did on Polytrack where he achieved 2 wins, 1 second and 1 third in the last 14 months and 10 starts. The only decent result on turf came over today's C&D on the 21st of April when Invigilator finished 3rd of 8 on soft ground racing off a 4lb higher mark. He was well beaten by the first two since he finished just 2.75L behind the winner but Dispol Grand was particularly well handicapped that day and he proved it winning with an even wider margin upped to a class 5 handicap over the same C&D on his second next and so far last start off a 5lb higher mark and therefore the Midgley's gelding is now rated 14lb higher. That was a strong race for this level and Invigilator beat quite easily a few good sprinters. Gracie's Games for example had finished 4th 1.25L behind Invigilator (with Darren Egan claiming 7lb) and the mare won off the same mark on her next start and ran well twice (3rd of 12 and 2nd of 10 beaten just a neck) on her only next two chances back on a softish ground (she badly needs to perform at her best) and both came off 5 and 6lb higher marks. Boucher Garcon (Evens money favourite of that race coming from 2 nice wins in a row and a close second) was beaten almost 4L by Invigilator finishing just 6th but ran well again finishing twice second in higher grades (class 5 handicaps) when facing again soft ground (off similar marks). Even the 8th and last of that race, Chosen One, that finished tailed off that day, has run more than once very well since winning twice and finishing twice more second and climbing the rating 12lb since his first win (all came on sounder surfaces as he surely doesn't handle ease in the ground but still his following very good performances gave another little boost to the form of that race). Chosen One beat very easily on his second last start Arch Walker who is at the moment the second market leader of this race. The strong favourite is Irish Girls Spirit who found her best form with the summer time and ran very well in all her last 4 races winning once at Yarmouth and finishing twice second and once third (last time out) but always very close to the winners. She's due to go up 4lb following her last two very good efforts in defeats but she needs a very fast ground which she should struggle to find here and even if 4lb well in at current prices she is absolutely overvaluated imho, she still lost twice off this same mark in her last two runs where she was sent-off favourite so how she can be such a strong favourite in this race is really beyond me which doesn't me I don't reckon her good chances to win but not at this price for sure. Back to my selection as written above he runs off a 4lb lower mark than that day when finished good 3rd over today's C&D on soft ground in April and kept running well on Polytrack on his last two starts finishing 5th of 13 but beaten just 2L and 2nd of 8 (latest) racing off 55 so off a 6lb higher mark. It might well be a horse better suited by the Polytrack but imho he's still not fully exposed on turf and off this 6lb lower mark he has to have a big chance over a C&D which we know for sure suits him. Derek Shaw hasn't got too many horses and is a trainer who usually gets 20 wins per year but at the moment the Sproxton-based trained has hit a fantastic peak of form with his horses at the moment (for his standards of course) collecting 4 wins and 3 seconds from his last 16 runners during the last 13 days. Tom Queally is an eye-cacthing booking (rode just 5 horses trained by Shaw in the last 5 years) and the Frankel's jockey is enjoying a fantastic season here at Nottingham with 3 wins from 13 rides (23%) for a level stake profit of +12.00 which are the best figures for Queally this season when riding more than 5 horses on an UK track. The horse was well backed on his last two starts when he didn't run bad at all even if beaten favourite because he met more than one trouble in running. That should underline a good confidence from connections which means he is surely in very good form and for all the aforementioned reasons it seems a very good shot at current price.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August

5.45 Kempton Not the strongest of affairs but a few do come into this in some form. Muhdiq is the least exposed in this field, shown some form to date totally blew chances last time out on handicap debut when setting a too stronger pace. Certainly has the speed for 5f so is an interesting runner but yard struggling for a winner at present. Avonvalley is no certain thing to back up latest win under a penalty although should atleast get a strong pace to chase here. Howyadoingnotsobad improved quickly around here early part of the year, has since been racing on turf and shown he can be competitive off this sort of mark with some solid placed efforts. Return to this track defenetily a positive and useful apprentice takes off 3lb from the top weight. Wide draw slightly off putting but has the speed to deal with it and could easily bounce out and make all. 1pt win Howyadoingnotsobad 3/1 bet365

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August *Princess Caetani - Nottingham 3:50* The only time it ran over this trip of 1m 2f, it won. It is also stepping down in class from class 3 to class 4 tomorrow which should help. Still lightly raced and should be able to run off a mark of 80. David Simcock is in unbelievable form with 6 of his last 10 runners winning. Adam Beschizza takes off a handy 3 pounds, and with the form the trainer is in, the 14/1 looks massive. *0.5 Points e/w @ 14/1 Bet365 BOG*

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 15.35 Newcastle: Able Master @ 11/2 Bet365 Able Master is almost back to his best this year as he took advantage of his fallen mark and won two handicaps within the last two month. He made all at Ayr when he won easily of a career lowest mark, produced then two rather disappointing efforts after that though, but may have excuses for both runs as the ground may have been a bit too slow for him at Hamilton and he was probably just outclassed in a hot class 2 Handicap at York. He won then a good class 3 Handicap at Musselburgh seven days ago though and it's interesting to see that he is turned out quickly under a 6lb penalty. He takes a step down in class and is by far the highest rated horse in the field here and judged on his best performances still well handicapped. He might not reach that sort of form again but he could be well able to win again and defy the penalty as this race tomorrow is easier than the last one.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 2.30 Newcastle - 1pt win Almuftarris @ 7/1 (Bet365) I didn't like many of these at all if I'm honest and I find it very interesting that Ed Dunlop sends this one up to Newcastle. He's a trainer with a fantastic record at this track with 5 of his 10 runners coming home in front. That stat improves to 4 out of 7 with 3yos so I highly doubt he's bringing this top-weight up north without having a serious chance - especially when you consider his only other runner on the card is a maiden with only an outside chance at 10/1. Paul Mulrennan has a 25% strike rate for the yard and although this horse hasn't run too well of late I think he's capable of bouncing back in this lower grade. He looked good in maidens in two efforts last year and when getting off the mark on his first run of this season. He was a 5l 6th on debut over 7f in a hot field (winner now rated 109 and 3rd 108). Up to a mile next time out he chased home the very smart Main Sequence to the tune of 1 1/4l. The horse he got the better over on his first run of 2012 at Lingfield over 1m2f dotted up last time out to get a mark of 85 (12lbs higher than my selection here). On the whole, he's well-handicapped on his maiden runs but hasn't quite put in anything like those performances in handicaps. However, he's dropped 11lbs from his opening mark three starts back and hasn't had things go his way particularly. The ground was a viable excuse on that occasion before competing in a hot event Haydock over 1m4f. The winner has since stormed to victory off 9lbs higher, and the third has also franked the form to some degree. My selection was 4th, although well-held, but it is plausible the trip was on the testing side and it could have been the case last time out also. They let Ryan Moore dominate and again the race worked out very strongly. The runner-up went close next time, the third has won twice since (last time by 8l), and the 4th also won recently. It's difficult to make ground up on the July Course and he shaped as if the drop back in trip would suit today. The fall in the weights helps and this is a fair bit easier. Blinkers are opted for to hopefully bring out a bit more and I think he has a good chance of bouncing back to form here.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 1740 newbury 1pt win osgood 8/1 bet365 weak race ,but with value in the selection,it is worth taking a chance at the price,the channon horse has been running over the jumps and the flat over the last couple of runs,beaten favourite on the flat and had a spin over the jumps since, hopefully that gets it interested to give a repeat of the run at newmarket 3 runs back,good apprentice on board,and the trainer/jockey have a near 19% strike rate

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August N3.35 Fieldgunner Kirkup 0.5pt E/W 10/1 Stan James There's likely to be quite a bias here towards the high drawn runners so I was happy to see this form pick in stall 11 of 11. It's one of only 3 C&D winners in the field and with rain sweeping the country, it will appreciate some give underfoot if the rain arrives. The horse has been running well enough without this 5lb claimer on board so should be in the mix now he's back on board and taking the 5lb off (he's also won once on the horse from just 2 rides).

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 335 Newcastle: Teds Brother EW (20/1 Bet365) Previous course and distance winner who was in fine form last season but has yet to recapture that level so far in this campaign. Dropped right down to a winnable mark of 70 (last won here off 69). Had a small break and worth a small bet on this better ground for him after his last two races were on the firm side (has won on soft twice). Any rain would be a plus and at 20/1 is a sporting bet on a tricky old day.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August

3.15 Nottingham INVIGILATOR win @ 9/1 bog (Bet365) This is a poor class 6 handicap (0-60) over 5f13y. The ground is officially good at the moment but with plenty of rain forecast in that area in the next few days it could well turn to be softer than good. My selection is a 4yo gelding still very lightly raced on turf. This will be just his 7th start on turf and so far he didn't run as well on grass as he did on Polytrack where he achieved 2 wins, 1 second and 1 third in the last 14 months and 10 starts. The only decent result on turf came over today's C&D on the 21st of April when Invigilator finished 3rd of 8 on soft ground racing off a 4lb higher mark. He was well beaten by the first two since he finished just 2.75L behind the winner but Dispol Grand was particularly well handicapped that day and he proved it winning with an even wider margin upped to a class 5 handicap over the same C&D on his second next and so far last start off a 5lb higher mark and therefore the Midgley's gelding is now rated 14lb higher. That was a strong race for this level and Invigilator beat quite easily a few good sprinters. Gracie's Games for example had finished 4th 1.25L behind Invigilator (with Darren Egan claiming 7lb) and the mare won off the same mark on her next start and ran well twice (3rd of 12 and 2nd of 10 beaten just a neck) on her only next two chances back on a softish ground (she badly needs to perform at her best) and both came off 5 and 6lb higher marks. Boucher Garcon (Evens money favourite of that race coming from 2 nice wins in a row and a close second) was beaten almost 4L by Invigilator finishing just 6th but ran well again finishing twice second in higher grades (class 5 handicaps) when facing again soft ground (off similar marks). Even the 8th and last of that race, Chosen One, that finished tailed off that day, has run more than once very well since winning twice and finishing twice more second and climbing the rating 12lb since his first win (all came on sounder surfaces as he surely doesn't handle ease in the ground but still his following very good performances gave another little boost to the form of that race). Chosen One beat very easily on his second last start Arch Walker who is at the moment the second market leader of this race. The strong favourite is Irish Girls Spirit who found her best form with the summer time and ran very well in all her last 4 races winning once at Yarmouth and finishing twice second and once third (last time out) but always very close to the winners. She's due to go up 4lb following her last two very good efforts in defeats but she needs a very fast ground which she should struggle to find here and even if 4lb well in at current prices she is absolutely overvaluated imho, she still lost twice off this same mark in her last two runs where she was sent-off favourite so how she can be such a strong favourite in this race is really beyond me which doesn't me I don't reckon her good chances to win but not at this price for sure. Back to my selection as written above he runs off a 4lb lower mark than that day when finished good 3rd over today's C&D on soft ground in April and kept running well on Polytrack on his last two starts finishing 5th of 13 but beaten just 2L and 2nd of 8 (latest) racing off 55 so off a 6lb higher mark. It might well be a horse better suited by the Polytrack but imho he's still not fully exposed on turf and off this 6lb lower mark he has to have a big chance over a C&D which we know for sure suits him. Derek Shaw hasn't got too many horses and is a trainer who usually gets 20 wins per year but at the moment the Sproxton-based trained has hit a fantastic peak of form with his horses at the moment (for his standards of course) collecting 4 wins and 3 seconds from his last 16 runners during the last 13 days. Tom Queally is an eye-cacthing booking (rode just 5 horses trained by Shaw in the last 5 years) and the Frankel's jockey is enjoying a fantastic season here at Nottingham with 3 wins from 13 rides (23%) for a level stake profit of +12.00 which are the best figures for Queally this season when riding more than 5 horses on an UK track. The horse was well backed on his last two starts when he didn't run bad at all even if beaten favourite because he met more than one trouble in running. That should underline a good confidence from connections which means he is surely in very good form and for all the aforementioned reasons it seems a very good shot at current price.
Invigilator is a non-runner now so my BBOTD is: 5.35 Catterick MANEKI NEKO 3pts win @ 12/1 bog (Bet365) I'm gonna support this 10yo gelding in this amateur riders' handicap. It's a class 5 handicap over 1m4f and the ground is officially good at the moment. It's a little tricky race with most of the runners coming into this at the top of their form. Tidal Run has collected 3 wins and 3 seconds this season, was a good second of 12 on her second last start and won in very good style last time out, both times in similar races and with today's jockey Miss S.M. Doolan who claims 5lb. Last two efforts came over 1m2f and she's never tested anything beyond that this season but in 2011 this 4yo filly trained by Mick Channon won over 1m4f and collected two good 3rds over 1m6f and 2m so the trip won't be a problem. The problem could be her new mark since she has to race off 76 under the mandatory 6lb penalty and her new effective mark will be just 75 since next week. Both her last two wins came off 70. Gold Rules has collected 1 win, 1 second and 1 third on his last three starts finally getting back to his best form on his favourite fast ground. The 5yo gelding trained by Mick Easterby has been mainly racing over 1m2f and once he tried this longer trip last year he finished 5th of 6, 6th of 10 and 10th of 16 but the last two efforts came in handicaps off 84 and 82 (runs off 74 today). Miss Jacqueline Coward was on Gold Rules for that impressive win at Beverley on his second last start and was on his grandfather-trained gelding also on his third last start when they finished second beaten just a neck by Tinseltown. Coward has won already 3 races this year, collecting also 4 seconds and 3 thirds from 15 rides (won also once at Cheltenham over hurdles) and she is surely the leader in the 2012 table reserved to the ladies amateur riders (if that exists) at least for her impressive striking rate. Gold Rules won his first two races in 2010 off 78 and 85 but he is still 9lb higher than his last winning mark and was beaten last time out off a 3lb lower mark. Tinseltown beat Gold Rules in a close finish at Beverley (1m2f in a ladies' race with Amy Ryan on board) just over one month ago. The 6yo gelding trained by Brian Rothwell has collected all his 5 wins in the last 2 months and a half (first two over hurdles) and the other two on the flat came just over today's C&D where he's 2-2 at the moment. He ran well again last time out (4th of 9, 1L behind the winner and a neck behind Gold Rules, at Haydock over 1m2f with a 7lb apprentice jockey on board) after a very disappointing effort in a similar race (Miss H. Bethell on board) on his second last start (7/4 favourite but 9th of 11 in that race over 1m2f at Beverley won by Gold Rules and Jacqueline Coward). Mr. Sam Walker has been booked for the ride and he's a top jockey since years in this category even if he has collected just one win this year. Tinseltown's 3 wins within a month (on the flat) sent his mark from 46 to 70 but he can still run off his last mark of 68 which is anyway 5lb higher than his last winning mark. Call Of Duty won two of his last 4 starts and finished 2nd of 9 in the other handicap race in between and 4th of 15 in a claimer over 1m1f at Carlisle (soft ground) with today's jockey Miss E.C. Sayer. The 7yo gelding trained by Dianne Sayer won over 1m4f at Haydock last time out (15/8 favourite won by a head in a 5 runner class 5 handicap). Also his first win of the year came over 1m4f at Haydock and that was with today's jockey on board but off a 10lb lower mark. He's been upped just 2lb for his last win but that was an apprentice handicap so he can race still off 66 here. Pertuis won last time out achieving his first ever win on grass. The 6yo gelding trained by Micky Hammond won a similar race but over 1m2f at Pontefract with today's jockey Miss R. Smith who claims 5lb. All his best efforts came over 1m2f and has been disappointing when tried over this trip on his previous two starts (over today's C&D 7 weeks ago and at York on his second last start). He races off a 4lb higher mark than last time out. Also Rub Of The Relic has been in very good form this year. The 7yo gelding trained by Paul Midgley won thrice this season and his latest success was his first ever on turf (1 win in 40 races on grass so far) in a similar race at Pontefract (2nd of July) with today's jockey Miss H. Dukes, who claims 5lb, on board. He is 5lb higher than his last winning mark but was a good second of 9 in a decent race at Epsom 4 weeks ago (1m4f, class 4 handicap named Ladies' Derby, on good to soft) off 1lb lower mark (Miss Dukes still on board). His last two efforts have been disappointing and seems to have lost his best form and he was well beaten finishing 6th of 9, 12.5L behind the winner in this race last year always with the same jockey. Al Furat represents the Barrs. Ron Barr is the trained and Miss V. Barr, who claims 5lb, the jockey. The 4yo gelding won twice in the last 12 months, first time over 1m6f at Redcar in a class 6 handicap off 56 last September and latest success came on the 5th of June again at Redcar but over 1m1f in a class 5 handicap off 63. Very disappointing in his last 3 efforts, always in class 5 handicaps over 1m2f/1m4f racing off 67 (collected 49L in three races), Al Furat has been dropped back to 64 but this is his first ever race in a similar race and with Miss V. Barr on board who is 0-41 in the last 3 seasons. So a lot of very in-form runners but all of them has got some negatives, mainly they have to defeat what is more or less their career highest mark. My selection Maneki Neko is a 10yo who has had a lot of problems of late and ran only once in the last 2 years. Still he has been a very good handicapper and collected 7 wins and 5 seconds in 41 starts on the flat turf (won also once over hurdles). His strike rate has been better than ever in his last few efforts collecting 3 wins, 3 seconds, 1 third and 2 fourths in his last 12 starts during the last 4 years. Maneki Neko is trained and co-owned by Edwin Tuer and the Birkby-based trainer knows very well how to win this race since he's saddled the last two winners and both won in impressive style. In 2010 the winner was just Maneki Neko who bolted up with Miss Serena Brotherton on board winning very easily off a mark of 69. Serena Brotherton is by far one of the best and most experienced jockeys in this category: 58 wins in the last 12 years on the flat, 25 in the last 2 and a half season and a strike rate constantly around 20%. She had ridden Maneki Neko also in his previous/second last win, again over 1m4f but at Ripon (two months before their last success in today's corresponding race so in June 2010) and they had bolted up once again also in that race (that time Maneki Neko was racing off a very handy mark of 55). Serena Brotherton has a special relationship with Ed Tuer. She rode 8 runners trained by Tuer in the last 3 years and won 4 times (50%). The horse has run very well (2nd of 15 and 3rd of 11) twice in his last three comebacks after a long break and there is a big chance he's been cherry-riped for this race since a long time. His record at Catterick is very good as he won also in his first visit here in April 2006 over 1m6f and had finished 4th and 2nd on his last two visits over today's C&D before the win in this corresponding race 2 years ago. He's due to race off 72 which could seem a bit too harsh but he had bolted up in this race off 69 and ran very well last time out (only race in the last 2 years) in a better race than this (class 4 handicap over 1m4f at Thirsk in May 2011) finishing 3rd of 11 racing off 71. In that race he was beaten 1.5L by the winner George Adamson who has won again off a 4lb higher mark (his last race last December) and is rated 8lb higher now. Lady Chapparal finished second just a neck ahead of Maneki Neko (who had also to overcome some troubles in running and would have surely finished at least second way closer to the winner with a clear run) and the mare has won thrice since (2 of her last 3 races) and is rated 10lb higher now. The first three finished well clear of the reminder with the 4th (who went on to win twice last summer, raised up to 7lb higher) that finished 6L behind Maneki Neko and most of the other runners well beaten in behind had been running well soon after that race so that was a very strong form for the category, which is a class above today's race. I have no inside-news about the wellbeing of Maneki Neko (something that would boost my confidence of course) but I strongly believe he's been prepared just for this race and taking into accounts all the negatives and doubts about his opponents and the plus about his chances he has to be a confident shot at current prices.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 8.25 - Kempton - Switzerland @ 5/2 Bet365 Really not a great price now but i feel the booking of 7lb claimer Michael Murphy and the return to polytrack shows Mark Johnston means business with this one. His 3 career runs on polytrack have resulted in 2 wins and a place, the latest of those when dotting up by 8L off a mark of 83 in March. He has failed to win on turf since and is returned to polytrack off a mark 90 which is aided by the jockeys claim. Ran a very good race lto at Goodwood when 2nd to Grandeur in a stronger race, back down to a class 3 handicap today and must have a good chance today despite the poor draw. Still only a 3yo so could still be improving and receives weight allowance from his elders too.

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August JINKER NOBLE 4.30 Newbury. 1 point win. Pretty consistent, but does appear to lack a kick in a finish. Blinkers go on today and I think they will help him find that little extra that has been lacking. The trip and ground isn't a concern and the handicapper gives him chances off a mark of 73. 10/1 Bet365 BOG

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 19:45 Catt MR MO JO - Was unlucky at CD LTO from a wide draw. Was beaten by 1/2 length when making all with On the High Tops who drifted in running and putting my selections run off. Same mark today high draw again but hopefully a clearer run this time and has a chance. 0.5EW 12/1 Victor Chandler

Re: BBOTD Friday 17th of August 8.55 Kemp - Oblitereight - win at 11/8 bog PP Won a similar race to this over CD last time out and has run well here before - has recorded a couple of good speed figs The second reopposes on better terms but my selection appeared to win with plenty in hand and the penalty shoudn't stop him The other main danger comes from winning a class 6 maiden and might need more experience before taking on solid class 4 handicappers