Favourite position

No not sexual :eyes Rather where do you prefer a runner that you have an interest in to be positioned in a race? Grabbing a lift in the pack? Leading from the word go? At the tail of the field? I suppose my preferred position would be up with the pace but off the rail in 3rd or 4th. He or she may have a bit further to run, although it wouldn't be such a sharp bend and they'd have a clear run to the finish.

Re: Favourite position Dropped in at about 3rd or 4th if there is often trouble in running, tight courses like Chester or tight bend last 2f like Ponty, making a move around 2f from home. I don't like front runners very much, even if a horse is suited to that style of running. Biggest bug bear though is jockeys dropping a horse out at the back in a poor handicap and riding it like it's Frankel for it to find nothing and never be in the race. A lot depends on course and ground. I do like front runners on soft/heavy ground as few seem to be able to quicken in mud from further back. See the July Cup for proof of that.

Re: Favourite position

deffo like to come from behind
depends on the track for me at cheltenham i know exactly where i want to be on the flat, sandown and windsor you can go for home early and stay in front for final 2f goodwood swoop late down the outside to win on the line!

Re: Favourite position Now Aidy has kind of eledued to it I can say it!! I don't give a fcuk!!!:rollin Every horse is different - I feel most comfortable watching a race if they aren't managing to get stuck behind horses if that is the question... Passing the winning post with it's head in front is my favourite position!!! Not much else matters...

Re: Favourite position

It depends on the horse surely... If i have a Mark Johnston horse backed' date=' i want it to lead. If i have Gallego backed, i want it to be stone last for the first few furlongs.[/quote'] Have to agree. It totally depends on the horse whether its a hold up horse or a front runner , plus other factors like ground conditions and what track. One of the wierdest horses I can remember is a horse called Danegold when trained by Mick Channon about 12 years ago . Whatever position the second last horse is , Danegold would be a further 15 -20 lengths behind by design , the would be about a furlong between first and last and he would make up ground in the closing stages , I can't remember him winning much but can remember being frustrated many times when I backed it and the horse only just failing. With these types of horses why not hold them up 5 lengths off the leader instead of 40 lengths like Danegold used to .

Re: Favourite position Totally agree with what horse. Love watching a horse lead from front then kick on. Love a a horse prominent and kick on . And if Spencer times it right a horse 10lengths behind last furlong and eats the ground is exciting. But finishing 1st always seems to do it for me.

Re: Favourite position hate my horse being at the front .......its very difficult to keep an even pace when your making the pace yourself as it shows in athletics sometimes and 8/10 your screwed 2f out .......i always get more excited when my horse is in the first 5 and id prefer them to be around 3rd or 4th throughout the race .. .......any further back and your leaving a lot to do especially if the first 2 get a good kick on you .........i hate horses that need to be held last and come with late runs because 1 or 2 decent types in there and youve got no chance