Going Descriptions of Late

Anyone else finding this a bit of a problem? Heavy at one course seems to be completely at another, there almost seems to be about 10 different versions of heavy going. Heavy yesterday at Newmarket didnt seem to bad, Mayson skipped through it quite nicely. But then at courses like Newcastle, Sandown, Pontefract etc it looks really tough to get through it. It's something i'm going to look into further i think, but it seems to me judging the severity of the really soft going of late is very important.

Re: Going Descriptions of Late This has been a problem for me too, i suppose you may get similar going stick readings for heavy ground but that won't neccessarily ride the same, if it's drying out it will probably get tacky where as if its rain thats only just into the ground then they may get through it easier, or maybe the make up of the ground itself vary's between courses some handle rain much better. Looking back on yesterday though one thing that doesn't make sense to me is the going at Hamilton described as Heavy(soft in places) is 7.1 on going stick, Newbury was the same but was 5.1 on the going stick and then at York going was Good(good to soft in places) and was also 7.1, what the hell is that all about.

Re: Going Descriptions of Late It's a bloody nightmare! There is a defiante argument for letting the first race go and judging the ground for yourself.... How the horses are finishing the race, how much kickback there is... That sort of thing. The problem comes is that by doing this, you are half likely to miss a decent price... I suppose you could always lay the thing back if yoiu deem the ground unsuitable but that is likely to cost some dollar too!! All in all - a shocking season weather wise thus far!!

Re: Going Descriptions of Late Its a nightmare at the moment yeah. Although not fool proof I find it is best to click into the race through the results header on the post and go into analysis of race times. They give you the going based on what the clock was suggesting rather than the official (fudged for political reasons to get as many horses as possible to turn up) ground given. Still not perfect but slightly better than using the official description IMO

Re: Going Descriptions of Late

Its a nightmare at the moment yeah. Although not fool proof I find it is best to click into the race through the results header on the post and go into analysis of race times. They give you the going based on what the clock was suggesting rather than the official (fudged for political reasons to get as many horses as possible to turn up) ground given. Still not perfect but slightly better than using the official description IMO
i think this is definately one of the areas where actually having an opportunity to be at the track could be an advantage however my own view recently has been to radically reduce any wagers certainly in GB as it is such a lottery exactly what ground you are going to get and doing race evaluations which then have to be binned because you realise the going in fact is quite different from the official one, not to mention the non runners completely changing the make up and odds of the race, rendering your opinions worthless strikes me as a very unproductive use of time. nearly all my punting now in the last ten days has been concentrated on tennis to be honest although I have still been reading the RP, etc. It would be interesting to see the bookies results in the last few weeks from horse racing-very healthy profits I would imagine!! Be interested to hear others thoughts

Re: Going Descriptions of Late It's been a disaster for us all I think. You mentioned York, it's case is self explanatory check this article out http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/other/features/biginterview/4541257.York_racecourse_head_groundsman_Adrian_Kay_sleeps_easier_after_drainage_work_at_Knavesmire_banishes_the_memory_of_a_wiped_out_Ebor_Festival/ Take the going at York as good these days ;)

Re: Going Descriptions of Late The adverse weather conditions has produced some fantastic placepot dividends and very good forecast / tricast dividends. Theres been a few wide margin victories too for those who like the distance betting , it just takes one short priced horse to whizz in by half the track for the over part of the distance market to come in.