Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012

First game of the season. City probably not too familiar with Southampton, will probably be quite complacent and a little out of sorts. Southampton, back in the big time with a lot of players looking to grab the headlines. I can see why mustafa is calling for Southampton.... As it's the first day of the season I'd advise a no bet or to take southampton on a positive handicap as I can see city starting slowly.

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012 I think based on what you have said above both to score, or most goals in the second half could be decent options. We always tend to look at the short odds on offer for some home sides in this league and assume that side will win to nil. But I feel given the fact this is the first game of the season and Southampton do have goals in them + the possibility that City may be a little complacent, and may underestimate Southampton slightly. Also I believe most goals scored in the second half won quite a few times with City last season. Given the opinions here that bet could prove to be a profitable one on the opening day. Southampton may not be up to the pace of the league yet? that sort of thing. I disagree about the goalscorer issue too.... They have Billy Sharp and Jay Rodriguez. Both are probably more mobile than Rickie Lambert. While Lambert has scored all the goals for Southampton, and I am certain he will score at least ten this season in the higher league, Southampton do have other options.

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012 Also, one point I'd like to make regarding Southampton's defence. They kept eighteen clean sheets last season, that's only two less than Reading (who made an art form out of producing slender wins), and two more than West Ham had all season. Only Hull and Reading conceded fewer goals than them in the Championship last season. They also had the best goal difference in the league last season. So not only were they capable goalscorers, they also were very adept at shutting out the opposition. If we were to compare Southampton to say, Blackpool (as they are a similar side that score a fair few) Blackpool conceded on average ten goals more per season under Holloway than Southampton did in the Championship. When Southampton were in League One they conceded a mere 38 goals the year they went up, which was the best in the league. The year before that they conceded forty-seven, which was as much as Norwich, who went up as Champions. I feel Southampton have a pretty experienced solid defensive lineup, and whilst they aren't probably near Reading's standard, they aren't anywhere near as bad as Blackpool were, or Derby. Sides like that. So what we have is in theory a side that is somewhere between Reading and Blackpool. A side that look like they can defend when needed, and a side that know where the back of the net is. One other thing, when we also consider that Southampton conceded thirty-eight league goals during the course of their League One promotion campaign. Playing in the higher league the next season you would expect them to concede more goals, but they only conceded another eight on top of that, playing in the Championship. Compare that to Norwich (whom I have always maintained aren't the best defensively), when they came up they conceded an extra eleven in gaining promotion, from forty-seven to fifty-eight. Including thirty at home.

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012 A Scummer is a gentleman... I'd rather be a Scummer than a Skate!! :p Some interesting points but a couple i have to take issue with... The reason we won out share of penalties is because we spent most of last season in the opponents final third... It was bound to happen. We play football and were/are the Championship equivilent of Arsenal - very rarely were shots taken on from distance and with Adam Lallana often getting the ball in the box, we are bound to get penalties at Championship level. The defence - Outstanding in the Championship and Kelvin Davis is like a new man. Was once a liability - now saves and wins points on a regualar basis. His performance away to Leeds last season had to be seen to be believed. I am not 100% that we will be any better than about 2/3ds down as far as conceeding goals go... Ricky Lambert is nothing like Matt Le Tissier!!! They are both Legends and they wear the same number shirt. That's it for me. Matt was aggresive in the respect he was gobby to refs and got booked alot because he was so slow!!! To compare Rickys skills to Matts though is an insult to the great man(Matt)! Ricky Lambert is a great player - unselfish, strong and works hard for the team. The opposite of Matt Le Tissier you could argue!! I'm looking forward to it and never get involved with my own team as far as betting goes. No point - I am bias and proud to be so!! Appalled by our start to the season - if we can get a point from this game I will be ecstatic... No way we should be relegated and Nigel Adkins is a brilliant young manager. So positive - if we can keep a good attitude through and after the first 6-8 games then we should be fine...:unsure

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012

Unlucky on the new boys having to play Man City first time out' date=' hopefully they can pull off a shock[/quote'] I don't think a shock will happen. Last season Man.City played their opening game against newly promoted Swansea and won 4-0. They are defending their title and I can't see them dropping points in their opening fixture at home.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think a shock will happen. Last season Man.City played their opening game against newly promoted Swansea and won 4-0. They are defending their title and I can't see them dropping points in their opening fixture at home.
I agree Mustafa. I watched that opener against Swansea 1 year back and I thought the Swans were excellent, particularly their keeper, Michael Vorm. Nevertheless, they conceded 4 and as far as I remember they held on for long, but then Aguero came on as a sub and scored 2, including a stunner, and had a brilliant assist. And these were early days for him in City's shirt. Now, despite lack of signings of much significance, City look a more cemented side, with lots of individual quality, both at the back and upfront. I'd love to see Southampton cause an upset but my common sense tells me this is not going to happen on Sunday, and they will have to look for the points elsewhere. City >2.5 @1.9 and >3.5 @3.5 goals is my choice for the game (bet365)

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012 I agree with your opinions guys and I want so mention something that goes in line with what was just said. Big teams tend to find the opposition's net very easily in the first month or two of the season. And this is true not only for Premiership, but also for most of the other major leagues. August and September are the two months of the year where the players of these big teams are most fresh and hungry for football and goals, and the time when they don't really need to spare effort and to divide it across different tournaments. August and September are the normally the months when nearly all top players are fit. It is also the times when managers of top teams are much more prone to taking more risks and opening up more - something which is important when we speak about generally very risk-averse manager like Mancini. This is also the time when lower class opposition hasn't yet found the means to prevent the new tactical dimensions brought to top teams over the summer break. Having said that, I think it is worth exploring handicaps for City in the first 7-8 games, especially when they play at home.

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012 I agree that City will score a few goals here, but it is very likely that Southampton will park the bus and also taking into account how City played last season another bet worth considering is Highest Scoring Half: 2nd @ 1.95-2.00.

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 18th August 2012 Sunday 17.00 CET Manchester City-Southampton AH-1,75 @1,90 5/10 sbobet (play till AH-2 @1,80) City won the title luckily in very last second. They didn't lost any important player and were able to add highly talented midfielder Rodwell to their ranks. Their pre-season was ok, last week they beat Chelsea 3-2 to win the Community Shield. Keeper Hart is expected to return to the starting line up. The only blow is that right back Richards will be out for about 10 weeks now, but they have a good replacement with Argentinien defender Zabaleta. City is an absolutely home force on their own pitch. Last season they dropped just 2 points during their entire 19 home matches. Southampton achieved 2 promotions in 2 years. They add some young and bright prospects to their squad with highly rated right back Clyne from Crystal Palace, striker Rodriguez from Burnley and midfielder Davis from Glasgow. The Saints are also expected to sign highly rated Uruguay international playmaker Gaston Ramirez from Bologna, as the club and the player have agreed a deal and both clubs are just close away from agreeing a deal. Nevertheless, he won't be able to participate in that match, as he needs a work permit and also he had to be registered until 12pm today to play on sunday. the Saint's offense looks good to me with Sharp and Lambert, followed by Rodriguez and Lee. But the midfield needs some improvements obviously as well as the defense. Furthermore their keeper doesn't seem to be any better than just a Championship (2nd division) keeper. All in all I see Man City winning at least by 2 goals difference, my call 3-0 GL

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 19th August 2012 4pts Man City (-1.75AH) to beat Southampton 1.85 Bet365 Southampton will be game opposition but ultimately I don’t think they will be good enough opposition. Although the Community Shield is little more than a friendly it was very competitive so that will give City a bit of an advantage going into this match and I expect them not just to win by to win with a bit in hand too. Southampton have what it takes to stay up this season but they’ll do that by beating the teams around them not Man City. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/man-city-vs-southampton-betting-man-city-can-begin-their-title-defence-with-a-comfortable-win-over-saints

I agree that City will score a few goals here' date=' but it is very likely that Southampton will park the bus and also taking into account how City played last season another bet worth considering is [b']Highest Scoring Half: 2nd @ 1.95-2.00.
There is no way we will 'park the bus'. We don't have the players and it's not in our mentality. If we even attempt such tactics it will be an embarrassment. That's not to say we won't get stuffed anyway - but we will go down trying to play football I would think. Good Luck with your bets

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 19th August 2012 i cannot stand all this favoritism for the citizens.all and all in my eyes there are two equal teams starting.of cource there were floods of money to man city but this is happening the last 5 years and last year was the first one they got their result, and this in the last second of their last match. the saints will be eager to prove that they re here(in the premiership) for a reason and psychologically they have all the comfort in the world since noone expects anything from them against their juge oponent. my idea is to exploit this favoritism using a handicap and my choice is man city - southampton 2(ah +2) @ 1,847 pinnacle medium to high stakes

Re: Man City v Southampton Saturday 19th August 2012 I think Man City will start off well here to put the pressure on their City Rivals. This season could go down to the wire again and games like this especially at hoime need to be won and won well. For that reason I will take City to win on the -1.5 on the AH with bet victor odds 1.64

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012 I think if you look at this objectively, you simply cannot be backing against Man City here. Southampton have done really well and they should be applauded for the way they've done it. However, this is a completely different level of football and they were in League 1 only 2 years ago. You'd have to think City will win this comfortably if Southampton go there with an attacking mentality, as they'll just get picked off by the numerous world class options they are up against.

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012 Man City -2 (EH) @ 2.40 sportsbet Man City were dominant at home last year and scoring goals was easy to come by, as they often scored at least three goals at home. They are up against newly promoted Southampton who are coming off a 4-0 loss in their final warm up game for this season, which does not bode well for them, given that Man City looked in good form in beating Chelsea 3-2 in the Community Shield. With Tevez in particular loking very sharp, and Aguerro looking to continue on where he left off last season, expect these two to be too good for the Southampton defence which wold not be used to these type of attackers in the Championship. Not just up front, but in midfield and defence this City side has too many good players and though Southampton did well last year, this is a whole difference ball game. 1-3 (-1.88)

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012 Man City are of course the heavy favourites here. Looking at the odds, 1/5 at best felt rather thin. You're not going to get anything less (perhaps 2/11 was the smallest odds that I found last season) from a fixture in the Premier league. Ask any TV pundit, Mark Lawrensen for example, and he will tell you in his Premier league predictions that City won 18/19 at home last season, and that he "expects them to get off to a winning start here". Well every mug and their dog can tell you that Man City are unlikely to drop points, likely to get all 3 points or get the job done here against Southampton, however you want to phase it. As a more considered punter, you'd of course have to agree with Man City being the heavy favourites, but then question the 'degree of the favouritism' 1/5 odds and shortening suggest Man City winning 83%+ of the time. Lets look at Southampton and take some other things into consideration that may not be so obvious. Being the first game of the season to Champions Man City, this is a fixture to relish being just promoted. There is pressure to stay up, but a fixture like this expectations are low and with 37 more games to come its not the end of the world even if they get beat 6 - 0. Southampton are still a well organised side with a winning mentality, somewhat beating poorer sides that have managed to get 'a smaller thumping' from the Etihad last season. I don't see them going crazy if they do concede a few goals here. Man City have not made many signings this summer so you'd expect them to be organised and fired up from the beginning, especially after already winning the Community shield against Chelsea. However, this is still the first game of the season, and backing them at 1/5 or on a handicap feels slightly more vulnerable. Hence I feel the value is on the away team on the Asian handicap. Asking myself of the likelihood of Southampton. winning, drawing or losing by 1 goal against Man City winning by 3 goals or more I jumped all over Southampton. Also I'm going for a traditional Man City first half 0 - 0, exploring the first half Asian handicap market which I rarely take. Finally, this game can probably be compared to the first game of the season against Swansea, in which it was 0 - 0 at half time, with City eventually winning 4 - 0. However, it took some brilliance from Aguero off the bench to inspire City to the 4 - 0 win. (I went for a draw on that game). 19/8/12 EPL Man City vs Southampton Southampton +2.0 1.971 Pinnacle 5/10 OPEN 19/8/12 EPL Man City vs Southampton Southampton 1H +0.75 188Bet 2.140 3/10 OPEN

I think whether joe hart is fit for this game will be a decider for me. Pantilimon was awful in the community shield, and Southampton do have goals in them. Having a dodgy keeper at the back can be a lot worse for any side. Worse than any outfield position IMO.

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012 Southampton will go here with nothing to lose. Should be a very open game, and Southampton aren't afraid to attack either. Over 3.5 goals @ 5/4 looks like a nice bet to me personally! I wouldn't rule out a surprise draw in the opener though, i think the Saints will be well up for this, and i have had a nibble on a 2-2 draw @ 40/1 with 188Bet.

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012 Hey guys I took the WH offer of Aguero + City victory, with Aguero being off within 10 mins, does anyone know if there is a history or WH refunding in such situations or just a matter of bad luck on moving on? Cheers

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012

Hey guys I took the WH offer of Aguero + City victory, with Aguero being off within 10 mins, does anyone know if there is a history or WH refunding in such situations or just a matter of bad luck on moving on? Cheers
Aguero started the game, so just bad luck really. You won't get anything back unless they are extremely generous

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012

Southampton will go here with nothing to lose. Should be a very open game, and Southampton aren't afraid to attack either. Over 3.5 goals @ 5/4 looks like a nice bet to me personally! I wouldn't rule out a surprise draw in the opener though, i think the Saints will be well up for this, and i have had a nibble on a 2-2 draw @ 40/1 with 188Bet.
Nearly hit the jackpot with the 2-2. But the over 3.5 came in, so good result! Saints were impressive.

Re: Man City v Southampton Sunday 19th August 2012 Southampton had a real go and exceeded expectations by far despite losing. They should feel optimistic about the upcoming season and not be too results orientated. They played fearlessly without a pressure in a game they were expected to lose, and even though Man City wasted many great chances to put the game potentially out of Southampton reach, the 3 points was always threatened. The exact repeat of the last game last season in terms of the order of the goals. 19/8/12 EPL Man City vs Southampton Southampton +2.0 1.971 Pinnacle 5/10 FT 3 - 2 +4.855 units 19/8/12 EPL Man City vs Southampton Southampton 1H +0.75 188Bet 2.140 3/10 FT 3 - 2 -1.5 units