** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

England v Italy > June 24

Re: England v Italy > June 24 I watched all games so far. And i think Italy is the superior side. They played better teams in group stage and played equally vs Spain. France, dominated England, which is eliminated by Spain with ease. Everyone underestimates Italy which is funny because Italy is one of the biggest tournemant teams with Germany in Europe. I think Italy to qualify is the most logical bet here.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England v Italy > June 24 Italy / England to win on a penalty shootout ? YES @ 10/1 Whether it be a boring or entertaining game I don't know, though this will go to penalties! Every previous major european competition has seen a quarter final tie go to penalties and that won't be broken tonight. (hopefully) :p

Re: England v Italy > June 24

I've read a few calling for Carroll to start so he can rough up their central defence and reports suggest they are not good at defending set pieces. I can see a really scruffy 1-0 win either way here. I also read that Buffon has faced 9 penalties in shoot outs and only ever saved 1 of them' date=' interesting stat. I'm going to wait until I see the lineups for this one as I've not been too impressed with Welbeck and I'm hoping Walcott gets a start.[/quote'] im pretty sure i read a few days ago that buffon has a musch superior record to joe hart in saving penalties.. think it was about 25% for buffon v 11% for hart. and clearly buffon has more experience at this stage and obviously england are still going to be crap at penalties. also ive been very impressed with welbeck he has led the line extremely well at his first major tournament. also the absense of rooney has meant alot of pressure on him especially with young and milner being pretty basic so far not creating much for him in the way of chances. walcott has always been a 20/30 minute player so cant see much hope of him hurting italy if he starts. they are the masters at killing players with pace and no brain which i think walcott falls into. milner would be a much better choice as he has a tactical footballing brain. but as everyone else has said all my thinking is on a tight boring ish game where italy have alot of the possession but struggle to break down the england defence due to the drilling hodgson has been giving them! maybe johnson will be targeted by cassano's trickery and pirlo's cute passes but it will still be hard to break england down. so 0-0 at half time at 2.32 on betfair and under 2.5 at 1.53 on betfair will be my main choices with a few hopeful bets on bookings when teams are announced

Re: England v Italy > June 24 Italy to have more possession @ 1.53 (Bluesquare) 3/10. Seems obvious to me, they keep the ball much better than us and I would expect this to come in unless they have a player sent off or something. Keeping the stakes relatively low as I don't have that much experience of betting on this market. They had 52% possession against Croatia and I think Croatia keep the ball better than we do. I would expect 55%+ possession for the Italians in this game.

Re: England v Italy > June 24 Kingiam, I like your logic for this game. Bet365 only offer over 4.5 cards at 1.61 but I'm going to take it. My £50 is going on that and then my In-Play £50 will go a draw at full-time I predict Johnson, Terry, Parker and Rooney will pick up bookings for England. Bonucci, Motta, Balotelli for Italy (hope he starts as he may see red) Good luck to everyone

Kingiam, I like your logic for this game. Bet365 only offer over 4.5 cards at 1.61 but I'm going to take it. My £50 is going on that and then my In-Play £50 will go a draw at full-time I predict Johnson, Terry, Parker and Rooney will pick up bookings for England. Bonucci, Motta, Balotelli for Italy (hope he starts as he may see red) Good luck to everyone
That possession bet looks a good bet to me. England only had 40% against France who are no great shakes, and only had 42% against the Ukraine, they had 52% against Sweden but Sweden don't keep possession well. Italy had 40% against Spain, but that is expected. 48% against Croatia and 59% against Ireland. I would be surprised if Italy didn't have more possession, even though i fancy England to win.

Italy / England to win on a penalty shootout ? YES @ 10/1 Whether it be a boring or entertaining game I don't know, though this will go to penalties! Every previous major european competition has seen a quarter final tie go to penalties and that won't be broken tonight. (hopefully) :p
which bookmaker did you get this from?

Well, I'm English and I don't think I've read anything as biased as the above in anything anyone else has written on these pages! There has been some optimism seeping into the consciousness because we are finally playing to our strengths, rather than trying to beat technically better sides by playing football which has never worked well at all.. That being said I don't think we have suddenly become a good side in the last 3 games, none of which we have been convincing in. I think Italy will be very difficult to beat as we expect, and it will probably be a close game, I personally think betting decent sized amounts on Eng or It to win in ET or on pens is a highly dubious tactic and these bets should be side bets not main ones. Italy will have more possession as they are the better side, and have far better technical players. The market I'm mainly interested in is Italy's shots on target, looking at their stats from their games so far: Italy 1 Spain 1, shots on target Italy 6 Spain 9 Italy 1 Croatia 1, shots on target Italy 7 Croatia 8 Italy 2 Ireland 0, shots on target Italy 17 Ireland 2 Taking away the Ireland game, as everyone dominated them, to have 6 shots on target against Spain is impressive and 7 in the Croatia game (I would say England and Croatia are fairly evenly matched). How much can we read into these games? Well, both the Spain and Croatia games were tight as I think tonight will be, and they beat the handicap in both of those games. England are expected to be unchanged, which suits me as I would prefer England to show some ambition with 2 up front and leave the midfield not too congested. Balotelli and Cassano will more than likely start up front and I expect Balotelli will have a fair few shots on his own against Hart even if he has better options, just because he is a selfish player, which in this instance suits me fine. I think Italy will have more of the ball and had a look at the possession bet again but Italy over 54.5% is a bit too high for me, it will probably be around that but with two sides that play in much the same way it's difficult to know how much more possession Italy will have. I'm using my £50 bet365 bet on Italy to qualify and will probably do the same in-play as even if it doesn't come in I'm not bothered as long as England get through, I would happily give £50 for that! But I think Italy will go through.. Italy Over 5 Shots on Target - 10 Points - 1.83 - betvictor
Had a look for this before kick off, couldn't find on BetVictor, or on Paddy Power (oddschecker was showing them as having a similar bet). Maybe both firms removed it some time before kick off? Anyway - looks like a very good bet :)

Re: England v Italy > June 24 So disapointing. The only way we are going to beat these sides is by playing premiership style and not sitting back and just letting them have the ball. Italy are not a great side. We reguarly beat Italien sides in the champions league. We made a West Ham reject look world class when he came on. Everyone will say herioc performane, but we were lucky to get to penalties. Italy thoroghly deserved their win. But when we did it is statiscally proven if you just stand there you will save more than if you dive. If Joe Hart did this, he saves 2 and they miss one. The only positive is that at least we dont get the humialtion the Germans would of give us if we had of reached semis. Good luck Italy but I would be surprised if you get past the Germans, we made you look good.

England vs Italy 24/6/12 UEC England vs Italy England 2.960 Pinnacle 4/10 OPEN
-4 units, value on Italy Midseason 2012 record -10.85 units Total stake 112 units 24/6/12 UEC England vs Italy England 2.960 Pinnacle 4/10FT 0 - 0 (0 - 0 aet, 2 - 4 pen) -4 units

Well, I'm English and I don't think I've read anything as biased as the above in anything anyone else has written on these pages! There has been some optimism seeping into the consciousness because we are finally playing to our strengths, rather than trying to beat technically better sides by playing football which has never worked well at all.. That being said I don't think we have suddenly become a good side in the last 3 games, none of which we have been convincing in. I think Italy will be very difficult to beat as we expect, and it will probably be a close game, I personally think betting decent sized amounts on Eng or It to win in ET or on pens is a highly dubious tactic and these bets should be side bets not main ones. Italy will have more possession as they are the better side, and have far better technical players. The market I'm mainly interested in is Italy's shots on target, looking at their stats from their games so far: Italy 1 Spain 1, shots on target Italy 6 Spain 9 Italy 1 Croatia 1, shots on target Italy 7 Croatia 8 Italy 2 Ireland 0, shots on target Italy 17 Ireland 2 Taking away the Ireland game, as everyone dominated them, to have 6 shots on target against Spain is impressive and 7 in the Croatia game (I would say England and Croatia are fairly evenly matched). How much can we read into these games? Well, both the Spain and Croatia games were tight as I think tonight will be, and they beat the handicap in both of those games. England are expected to be unchanged, which suits me as I would prefer England to show some ambition with 2 up front and leave the midfield not too congested. Balotelli and Cassano will more than likely start up front and I expect Balotelli will have a fair few shots on his own against Hart even if he has better options, just because he is a selfish player, which in this instance suits me fine. I think Italy will have more of the ball and had a look at the possession bet again but Italy over 54.5% is a bit too high for me, it will probably be around that but with two sides that play in much the same way it's difficult to know how much more possession Italy will have. I'm using my £50 bet365 bet on Italy to qualify and will probably do the same in-play as even if it doesn't come in I'm not bothered as long as England get through, I would happily give £50 for that! But I think Italy will go through.. Italy Over 5 Shots on Target - 10 Points - 1.83 - betvictor
Easy win, won in the first half I think, Italy worthy winners.

Italy to have more possession @ 1.53 (Bluesquare) 3/10. Seems obvious to me' date= they keep the ball much better than us and I would expect this to come in unless they have a player sent off or something. Keeping the stakes relatively low as I don't have that much experience of betting on this market. They had 52% possession against Croatia and I think Croatia keep the ball better than we do. I would expect 55%+ possession for the Italians in this game.
Bet won: Italy had 63% possession. Think this was good value, although I haven't studied possession bets much. Not sure what would have happened if Italy had taken the lead; would they have let us have more possession in our own half for instance and would this have changed things? I couldn't find many possession stats (except for recent ones) but I found out on Soccerway that when Germany beat us 4-1 the possession was 50-50. Thanks to HastGill for his excellent possession bet yesterday which I followed for giving me the idea for this one.

Last minute but BTTS- no @ 1.8 (Stan James) looks very good considering a low scoring encounter is so likely.
Bet won, was not expecting to see these odds, only checked the market just before kick off. I thought because unders was priced at 1.44-1.5 this would be much lower than 1.8, I was rather surprised to see this price.

Italy / England to win on a penalty shootout ? YES @ 10/1 Whether it be a boring or entertaining game I don't know, though this will go to penalties! Every previous major european competition has seen a quarter final tie go to penalties and that won't be broken tonight. (hopefully) :p
Easy win :cigar Sorry it was with Betfair for those that asked....and they were both singles, i.e. Italy to win on penalties @ 10 and England to do the same @ 10

Re: England v Italy > June 24 well done on the 0-0- boooyz ;) 4-2 on pens was a good one too! Its got to be spain - germany final now - will be looking at germany -1 unless the odds on a straight win are good enough. also Joe Hart take away the penalties; in 90mins he was utter poo. If any shots were on target he would have no chance. Deutchland outright for me ;) :cigar

Re: England v Italy > June 24 England were lucky to get as far as they did. All the bad luck that they have complained about for the last 20 years has been more than repaid in this campaign. Awful. Tonight's "heroic failure" against a mediocre Italian team has saved them from heavy humiliation on Wednesday.

Italy to have more possession @ 1.53 (Bluesquare) 3/10. Seems obvious to me' date= they keep the ball much better than us and I would expect this to come in unless they have a player sent off or something. Keeping the stakes relatively low as I don't have that much experience of betting on this market. They had 52% possession against Croatia and I think Croatia keep the ball better than we do. I would expect 55%+ possession for the Italians in this game.
Followed with this one with what I could get on, not even with the benefit of hindsight this was very unlikely to lose. Not even offering a handicap on the possession was daft on their part as Italy were always going to boss the possession, haven't used my bluesquare account for a couple of years but might continue to do so if they offer bets like this..

England were lucky to get as far as they did. All the bad luck that they have complained about for the last 20 years has been more than repaid in this campaign. Awful. Tonight's "heroic failure" against a mediocre Italian team has saved them from heavy humiliation on Wednesday.
Have to agree, we have seemed out of our depth from the moment the first ball was kicked.

Re: England v Italy > June 24 Some excellent calls witth 0-0, the draw, to go to penalties, possession, shots on target e.tc. Looks to have been a good night for most bar me with 2 losers and to make it even worse having the misfortune to sit through England embarrassing themselves like that. Don't like being so bitter but the fact these 'superstars' earn hundreds of thousands a week makes me want to puke! They didn't even look fit which is what I'd expect as a bare minimum from an international athlete. Still, my grapes arent too sour. Honest!

Ahhh that's way too harsh on England! You can't say it was luck that they kept out Italy for 120mins! I don't really believe in luck anyway, fortune can be proven by science but never luck it'sd just a superstition... England I think were extremely fortunate the get to this stage but extremely unfortunate not to beat Italy on pens. I doubt they would have been so savagely beaten as you suggest, as people said that about France/Ukraine then Italy and then afterwards, describes these teams performances as average. England made them look average by defending to the hilt and should be applauded! That said Italy were worthy winners, and at the 0-0 I was happy to see the best team take the tie (grudgingly) lol. Heroic Failure I like that line!! Hehe makes me think of Terry falling on his arse when he id sone for pace, soon as we replace him the better
Terry, Lescott and Gerrard were our best players in the tournament, whatever people think about Terry's personality he is a very good defender. Apparently Rooney should be our best player, he was useless yesterday and never looked anywhere near the required level, hardly got the ball and when he did he lost it. I always remember back to an interview Rooney did with The Times before the season started where he talked about getting to the level of Messi and Ronaldo. During the last few months he has got closer to the level of Heskey than those two. Our players general conditioning is extremely poor, they all looked knackered. Would a mid season break help? Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets all played more games last season than anyone in our team and they still hustle and chase as if their lives depend on it. To put it bluntly a lot of our players look like they don't give a toss, I know this isn't the case but the lack of closing down on Pirlo who was obviously the best player on the pitch and dictated everything going on in front of him, was very disheartening. I await the usual FA nonsense about changing the way our kids play the game at a 'grass roots level', I don't know what they have to do but we have never been as far away from the top countries as we are now. Its a shame we didn't get through really as there would have been some serious money to be made on the Germans in the semi, they would have beaten us by 2 or 3 easily..