Poland v Greece > June 8

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn, align: left]Poland v Greece (17:00 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.25[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.3[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]4.2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]98.56 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Wanted to wait until the tournament, but price on Poland is really good and it has already dropped. I expect that closer to kick-off it will be around 1.80-1.90 if not less. Poland are playing at home and their group is in my opinion the weakest one, since there are no real favorites in it that can win the tournament. Poland have some good players who play in top European leagues, namely Lewandowski (B.Dortmund) who has been great for Germans this season. Poland @ 2.05 ​William Hill

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Agree with you there Mustafa, Poland do have some notable players and I expect Lewandowski to score a few goals, if they weren't expected to play either Germany, Holland, Portugal, or Denmark in the next round I'd probably put something small on him to be top goal scorer, but I can't see Poland making it past the quarters so I wont go ahead with that. Anyway back to the game Greece at the moment are very unpredictable. I have a feeling they're going to rock up to the tournament with not much interest as they have their own problems in their domestic league with payments etc. I haven't seen Poland play so will hope to have a look at some of their results in the upcoming friendly games but for the players they have, and the home advantage a Poland victory looks likely, but I wont put anything on yet at this time.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 As a Pole, may I tone down your enthusiasm a little bit fellas? Despite hosting the European Championship, the atmosphere around the national team hasn't been so bad since late 90s. Our manager's biggest achievement, taking Widzew Lodz to Champions League was in 1995 and since then he won one league title with Legia Warsaw around 2000. Anyway, some of you rightly notice our great striker Lewandowski who plays for Borussia Dortmund but it's worth remembering the quality of players he's got there is far greater than the quality of Lewandowski's team mates in the national team. In fact, apart from Blaszczylowski, who also plays for Dortmund, and Szczesny, there isn't anyone of note. There are a few players from weak Polish league and a few from other leagues but they are mainly bench players. I see a huge failure coming for the national team and closer to the match if the odds are good enough I will lay Poland in the opening match.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Well I am Pole too but I am trying to look at the things objectively :) In my opinion the current odds for the Greece (4.2) are much more worth betting than 2.0 on Poland (williamhill). I would say that both teams have equal shapes at this moment. Poland are the hosts of the Champioships what makes them a little more favorite than the opponents but for me 2.0 - 4.2 odds are not accurrate. We will see how the odds will change in the current week. Maybe they will be even higher for the Greeks in the end?

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 I personally just cant see past the poles in this match. I dont expect a rout, more of a 1 or 2 nil victory but I do expect a tight and cautious game that neither team will want to lose. Greece for me will be relient on Ninis and Samaras and neither are proven for different reasons. Samaras I really dont rate as a striker as he has his own personal glory above that of the team and just isnt capable of performing on this stage and Ninis whilst talented is still unproven due to experience. Im going for a straight Poland win but wish I took the odds last week as they are now down to 10/11. Was debating the unders market but that too has plummeted to 4/9. Both odds with Ladbrokes.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Having seen both teams a bit recently, I think Poland are a slightly better team, and they have home advantage, but I think current odds of 2.0 are too short. A bit of value backing against Poland at those odds I think. The other thing to look at is goals. A lot of opening games in big tournaments tend to be low-scoring, but unfortunately under 2.5 goals is only priced at a measly 1.53. Better value would be to back the draw at 3.3, as I believe a draw is statistically more likely if it's a defensive low-scoring game.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Hemanth123 - please do me a favour and read the first post in this thread before taking any more bets. It opened my eyes and my betting results improved dramatically. You too can join the bright side of the Force, mate! http://forum.punterslounge.com/threads/102626-How-to-beat-the-bookies-%C2%96-a-value-betting-guide-(inc-spreadsheet)

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 poland have won 5/6 last 6 home. drew 0-0 v portugal. And won the rest by 1 goal apart from andorra. And all teams not quite on par with greece. greece have won 3 and drew 3 last 6 away games. Both played bosnia but greece only drew compared with poland beating them. greece drew 1-1 v ecuador who are probaly on par or better then poland. poland will have the home advantage but greece have been playing good away and will be used to the underdog in a major. I am thing a low scoring game if any goals but no value in odds, and im starting to lean towards the greece +0.5 1.96 line/odds. coz i think greece have atleast a 60% chance of winning or drawing this game so the 1.96 offer great value imho.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 All the pressure is on Poland in this game being the home nation and being expected to win. In there friendly games they have only lost one of the last twelve games which was against Italy. Eleven of these twelve friendly games were played at home. They do however struggle to score goals taking out the four goal beating of Andorra they have scored just 13 goals in eleven games. They will be relying on Lewandowski to score them there goals, but with a midfield which isn't blessed with creativity it will be hard for them to brake down a stubborn Greece defence which conceded just five goals in qualifying as group winners. Greece only scored more than once in four of there qualifying games and managed just fourteen in total. The front three are often left to there own devices with the rest of the side being quite negative in there approach and are a threat from set pieces. They have experience in there side with several of there EURO 2004 winning side included in the squad. I think this will be a low scoring game but won't take odds of around 1.44 for unders which is just too short for me. I will take Greece DNB 2.9, as I feel they have a decent chance of getting atleast a point out of the opening game. Greece DNB 2.9 BetVictor

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 first games always tend to finish draws and i hope if history is any lesson it shouldn't be any different. i do not know why bookies have placed poland as big favourite. that is very odd and i'm suspicious if bookies are leading people wrong. greece is very much the same team that has been since their euro triumph years ago and their style of play has not changed. they are still very much defensive and hard to break down and as well as poland who have improved over the course of last two years. their recent results suggest it could be even game.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8

first games always tend to finish draws and i hope if history is any lesson it shouldn't be any different.
I had the same thought about backing the draw in the opening matches last week so I decided to check the last two tournaments out 2004 opening pair of matches in group= 3 draws from 8 matches 2004 group matches = 7 draws in 18 matches 2008 opening pair of matches in group= 1 draws from 8 matches 2008 group matches = 2 draws in 18 matches these stats disproved my thoughts but I will not be laying the draw in opening matches. I believe it has a lot to do with the managers , in Poland , England and Ireland we have three manager , Smuda , Hodgson and Trapattoni that are defensive thinking. I expect these three teams to be involved in draws. I can see the opening matches involving these teams being draws.

I had the same thought about backing the draw in the opening matches last week so I decided to check the last two tournaments out
I think by 'first games' sajtion literally meant the first game of the tournament, not all the first round games. At any rate, I think it's dangerous to base any conclusion on a small statistical sample. For example, if Manchester United (hypothetically) have won their first home league game for the last 6 years I don't think that makes it statistically more likely that they will their first home league game next season ...

in Poland ' date=' England and Ireland we have three manager , Smuda , Hodgson and Trapattoni that are defensive thinking. I expect these three teams to be involved in draws.I can see the opening matches involving these teams being draws.[/quote']When Smuda was in charge of Lech Poznan, my hometown club, he said that he would rather score 5 goals and concede 4 rather than win a boring 1-0... Which of course doesn't change the fact that apart from recent Andorra game, most Poland results were unders... Anyway, i have taken today Greece or Draw @1.88 with bwin. It's funny how the tide has changed which is reflected in odds and this thread as well. Plenty of Poland backers at the beginning, odds moved and suddenly the value is on Greece. And today odds on Greece dropped and this is why I decided not wait any longer. Apart from my post above here are some facts to be used as reasoning for my bet: 1. Greece is 14th in FIFA ranking while Poland 64th. 2. Poland haven't played a competetive match for two years. 3. Poland have never won a match in the European Championship. 4. Home support is a myth. The fact is that due to the Polish FA's actions in the last two years, most fanatical supporters have been eliminated. There will be 40 000 Polish spectators in the stadium but you will be able to hear the pin drop... Or Greek supporters. 5. One problem in Poland team can be... communication. The likes of Obraniak, Boenisch, Perquiz and Polanski can't speak Polish. They've been granted Polish passport in the last year or two as part of preparation for the tournament and on the basis of some of their descendants coming from Poland. 6. In 21st century we qualified for 3 tournaments, here are our first match results: 2002 Poland - South Korea 0-2, 2006: Poland - Ecuador 0-2, 2008: Poland - Germany 0-2. 7. Greece haven't lost a match in the qualifiers.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Tough game to get into, straight away under 2.5 jumped out at me until I seen the price 1.44 (Stan James). Looking at Greece' previous 10 games, they have only failed to score on 1 occation and that was 10 games ago (Away to Bosnia) T

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 It's a wrong button with great ending, because Greece team is better playmakers and defending team. They will win this game whatever odds tells, it's can be draw too, but i don't see there Poland victory just because they playing at home, odds are stupid, really.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 I will be taking Greece +0.5 AH aswell, but closer to kickoff, hopefully for a better price than the 1.87 i can get at the moment. If the price goes to **** then I will leave it but hopefully it gets even better just before kickoff.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 I agree with many of the sentiments on here that this could be a low scoring games however the unders being priced so low at 1.45ish really doesn’t appeal to me. I don’t actually think that Greece are as defensive as some people might make out (in the qualies they played a 4-3-3 to good affect) and we’ll see a bit more endeavour over the course of the group than we saw under Rehhagel in 2004. However defence is still the cornerstone of what they do, and given this is the opening match and they are up against a team that do probably play better on the counter they will not be looking to over exert themselves early on. Even with the Dortmund guys in the team, Poland will still struggle I feel. If they are overly reliant on those three then they will be found out at international level and I do not see anyone else in the team able to step up to the level required to win games here. Greece will be more than confident of containing them if that’s the case. That’s the way Greece usually play whether it be against Malta, Latvia or Croatia, contain first and then look for a goal. We are likely to see their best flair players in Ninis (not had much game time this year), Fetfatzidis and Mitroglou starting from the bench, and Santos may look to them in the second half to make the breakthrough. A quick look through the qualifiers and most of their goals were second half goals most later than 60 minutes. Greece +0.5AH 1.85 at Bet365 (3 / 10 units) Time of first goal – over 27 minutes 2.05 at Stan James ( 2 / 10 units) :hope

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 4pts Under 2 goals 1.75 Bet365

I don’t expect this one to be too free scoring. Neither side score goals at will and both sides are tight at the back. In fact Greece are in better form than Poland as they’ve only lost one of their last 20 matches so these two don’t lose very often and I’m not convinced either will lose here either. I would be surprised if we see more than one goal in this match if we even see that many. Full preview:

http://www.punterslounge.com/poland-vs-greece-betting--euro-2012-can-begin-with-a-low-scoring-clash-in-warsaw

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Poland vs Greece So tomorrow is the start of Euro 2012 and one of the host nation's Poland will kick things off against Greece. Although Greece earned the right to be in the tournament through qualification and Poland haven't played in a competitive game for quite a long time, I can't see past the home nation in this match at a price which I feel represents some decent value. This won't be a rout by any means but I feel Bundesliga winner Robert Lewandowski will be the key to Poland's success in this match and after a terrific season at Dortmund, I see no reason why he can't keep up his form on this big stage. I don't know a lot about either side so I will be keeping my stakes to a minimum but I'll be having a dabble on three markets in this game. 2pts Poland to win @ 21/20 (WillHill) 2pts Robert Lewandowski to score anytime @ 7/4 (Bet365) 1pt Robert Lewandowski FGS @ 9/2 (Bet365)

4pts Under 2 goals 1.75 Bet365

I don’t expect this one to be too free scoring. Neither side score goals at will and both sides are tight at the back. In fact Greece are in better form than Poland as they’ve only lost one of their last 20 matches so these two don’t lose very often and I’m not convinced either will lose here either. I would be surprised if we see more than one goal in this match if we even see that many. Full preview:

http://www.punterslounge.com/poland-vs-greece-betting--euro-2012-can-begin-with-a-low-scoring-clash-in-warsaw

I think that's a 2-way Asian bet isn't it? Meaning you get stake returned if it's exactly 2 goals.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Fist game of the tourny and I expect a close game with very few goals. In fact I expect quite a few of the first round games to be low scoring. The odds of 1.44 might be quite low but I fully expect this to be under 2,5 goals. 10 points on under 2.5 goals with betfred. Good luck all lets get the games off with a winning start.

Fist game of the tourny and I expect a close game with very few goals. In fact I expect quite a few of the first round games to be low scoring. The odds of 1.44 might be quite low but I fully expect this to be under 2,5 goals. 10 points on under 2.5 goals with betfred. Good luck all lets get the games off with a winning start.
I agree with you very much !!

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Poland - A Few Points Greece have yet to avoid defeat in Poland and in 8 visits they have suffered 8 losses. Smuda's men have kept a national-record five successive clean sheets Home Crowd of 40,000 - hostile expectant atmosphere can create nerves or be the 12th Man Robert Lewandowski - Striker Dortmund - firing on all cylinders netted 30 times 2011-2012 - confidence high Won last 3 Friendly’s all at home - albeit against weak opposition Poland have to win this game seeing as their 2nd match is against group favourites Russia which with their political history will be a fire cracker of a game - a massive derby type where from will disappear. 3 points now is a necessity. Greeks - A Few points Topped their group remaining undefeated ahead of Croatia and Israel Giorgos Karagounis Midfielder getting on a bit but can hold the centre for the Greeks - Experience Won 1 and drew 2 in last 3 friendly’s again against week opposition (apart from Belgium) State of Greeks economy? bringing a bit of negativity to side or a solidarity? Key Battle: The battle of the big names will likely make a huge impact on this game as Poland's in-form striker battles his Bundesliga nemesis Papastathopoulos. Lewandowski has had a stunning season with Dortmund and has banged in 22 goals in the league this season to help them to the Double of league and cup. Charged with stopping him is 23-year-old Papastathopoulos of Werder Bremen. Poland @ odds of 2.05/1 with betvictor will be my prediction, I can not see past A Polish win, they have to get 3 points now as the Russia game will be too intense to call! The home support will provide the 12th man and the Polish do have the firepower in Lewandowski and a good recent clean sheet record against a defense minded Greek team.

Re: Poland v Greece > June 8 Poland - Greece I reccommend: Greece +0,5 Poland team goals 4,5 Do not be distracted by the media buzz over Lewandowski, piszczek and Błaszczykowski (all BVB). We are an average team who plays on EURO 2012 because of hosting it. Surely those players who will start with Greece are individually probably the best XI we have had in years, but as a team they are just unproven. What worries me much about Poland's performances is that we don't have valuable bench players and everyone who comes off the bench is merely to replace the number of players on the pitch to 11. Nothing more. Secondly - we are very poor at set pieces. We cannot defend it very well and cannot score from free-kick or corners either. Thirdly - if this team concedes a goal first, I strongly believe they will not bounce back. There is nothing to say about recent performances because with Latvia (1-0) we played a B-team, we won 1-0 against lazy and uninspired Slovakia and defeated 4-0 amateurs from Andorra but the game looked good only in the first half when all starters were on the field. And after all what can you say about defender's form after a game with Andorra ? Will they be fired up to play for 50.000 fans in a new stadium build for 600 millions Euro (!)- yes. Does it make them heavy favourites against solid Greece who have qualified for EURO three times in a row ? No. Greece +0,5 is just a huge value. I don't think we will be able to score more than once against a strong and physical defense that normally concedes 4,5 bookings gives value having in mind that it will be refereed by a Spaniard who has a splendid record of showing yellows and reds in La Liga. I hope for a great tournament in my country with many good games and suprising results :hope