Betfair - Do they actually want customers?

Constant disregards for their customers.... If you say you will be up and running by 1000.... BE READY FOR 1000!!! At worse be up to an hour late..... It's not as if this maintenence wasn't planned and you should have had a good idea of how long it would take..... Take this scheduled time an add an hour for **** ups! TO GO FROM 1000 TO 1400 in one hit is completley unacceptable!!!! I've got bets on there that need laying off for this avos racing!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get me wrong - without Betfair I wouldn't have been able to turn a profit over the years but their technical support is an absolute joke!! My cash is tied up with them and it really isn't fair!! Do this stuff at night as soon as the football is over. Or do it on a night where there isn't football and start it as soon as the Racing finishes!! I admire Betfair and am greatful for them but if there was an alternitive with the same liquidity, people would be moving!!:(

Re: Betfair - Do they actaully want customers!?!?! I wish they'd do us all a favour and close down. They ruin prices for everybody. Theres bugger all liquidity the night before racing so impatient punters that can't wait for a price leave money stacked up - the bookies see this money then open several points shorter. It would be much easier for punters to stand a chance of getting a price if Betfair wasn't around, each firm has their trading closed from one another instead of these silly exchanges where everything is laid out in the open for all to see

Re: Betfair - Do they actaully want customers!?!?! That is a very good point indeed! The problem lies is that people just can't wait and as you say - prices then come in and alert the bookies to any percieved ricks! And when you do want to back one that has money stacked up you find yourself left with little choice but than to try and get in front of the croud!! One thing I would say though, is that it is Bookmkaers closing sucessful accounts that forces people onto Betfair and you can't blame them for still wanting to get what they percieve as value! I am out of accounts at the moment, will be up and running for Cheltenham but am fairly sure I will be exclusive on Betfair again by the time Royal Ascot comes about. It's a nightmare!!:wall

Re: Betfair - Do they actaully want customers!?!?!

That is a very good point indeed! The problem lies is that people just can't wait and as you say - prices then come in and alert the bookies to any percieved ricks! And when you do want to back one that has money stacked up you find yourself left with little choice but than to try and get in front of the croud!! One thing I would say though, is that it is Bookmkaers closing sucessful accounts that forces people onto Betfair and you can't blame them for still wanting to get what they percieve as value! I am out of accounts at the moment, will be up and running for Cheltenham but am fairly sure I will be exclusive on Betfair again by the time Royal Ascot comes about. It's a nightmare!!:wall
It is a nightmare. I'm betting cash in shops at the minute and topping up to small stakes across as many bookie accounts I can in the morning to get on, but will be worried the day comes I'm driven exclusively onto Betfair. The worst case I've seen in the last week was on friday, a horse of Eddie Lynam's running at Dundalk - Iron Major. Paddypower opened 14/1 and Boylesports 10/1. It was double figures on both the Sporting Life and Racing Post forecasts, so there was good reason to believe that, if they waited, punters could get a good price in the morning. However, Paddypower cut the horse into 8/1 and Boyles into 7/1's, both in one fell swoop that night. Not sure if the guilty party had got on with them or if the firms were reacting to money on Betfair, but there had only been £180 matched at 9pm on Thursday night on this market, half of it for this 14/1 shot. There was also another 100 stacked back in big chunks at all sort of prices, I mean how obvious was this person/people being? One of my mates is an odds compiler for one of the small online firms and said he looks exactly for things like this and prices up shorter in response - so punters who are either uninformed, or just impatient, ruin the price for the rest of us. In this example, Iron Major, opened up a best priced 13/2 on that Friday morning and contracted further over the course of the day - so chances are this greedy punter would have had to get the remaining ton matched at 7.0 or so!

Re: Betfair - Do they actaully want customers!?!?! Your mate - given that he is obviously doing his best by his employer - is obviously very shrewd! If I was 'playing' for the Bookmaker again, I would do exactly the same. It's gotten to the point where I am completely paranoid about accounts and posting on here, for example, before I have got my money down at the price I want. This is nearly always impossible at the moment as someone will inevitably have £2 on with Bet £3.65, VC or Betfair and the value is gone. I am more often than not, left with a headache of deciding whether or not to bet a selection at the new available odds!! I'm not a massive, massive punter but I make it pay. When you can't even get a £50 bet on without a phonecall being made(not talking about Pricewise!) you know the game is changing yet again!! Thought about pretending to play on the FOBT the other day!!!! :rollin

Your mate - given that he is obviously doing his best by his employer - is obviously very shrewd! If I was 'playing' for the Bookmaker again, I would do exactly the same. It's gotten to the point where I am completely paranoid about accounts and posting on here, for example, before I have got my money down at the price I want. This is nearly always impossible at the moment as someone will inevitably have £2 on with Bet £3.65, VC or Betfair and the value is gone. I am more often than not, left with a headache of deciding whether or not to bet a selection at the new available odds!! I'm not a massive, massive punter but I make it pay. When you can't even get a £50 bet on without a phonecall being made(not talking about Pricewise!) you know the game is changing yet again!! Thought about pretending to play on the FOBT the other day!!!! :rollin
They shouldn't even be classed as bookmakers should they, more 'traders'!

Re: Betfair - Do they actaully want customers!?!?! You're right... If the betting forecasts I have seen are anywhere near right there are 2 that I definatly going to have an interest in tomorrow... Am dreading them being 'flagged up' early because if they are half their forecast odds I'm gonna be in a real quandry as to whether I consider them value or not... What normally happens at the moment is that I'll half my stake at the lower odds and they hose up! Tis getting beyond a joke this month!:eyes

Re: Betfair - Do they actaully want customers!?!?! I do most of my betting on Hunter Chases and obviously its an area bookmakers are weak on, but the problem is, as you point out, that people are in a rush to back horses on Betfair the night before and thus it tells the odds compilers what is fancied. If people would wait they might well be able to get a better price as well. It seems daft to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they'd do us all a favour and close down. They ruin prices for everybody. Theres bugger all liquidity the night before racing so impatient punters that can't wait for a price leave money stacked up - the bookies see this money then open several points shorter. It would be much easier for punters to stand a chance of getting a price if Betfair wasn't around' date=' each firm has their trading closed from one another instead of these silly exchanges where everything is laid out in the open for all to see[/quote'] Another case in point is Clear Praise tomorrow at Kempton - he is running in a bread and butter 0-85 handicap. The Sporting Life guys have him down as a 12/1 chance on their forecast, the RP have him a 14/1 chance. Those 'in the know' could have, quite feasibly, waited until the markets are fully formed in the morning before having their nuts on and spreading their money about between firms, but instead they are impatient and show their hand on Betfair. In a market in which there has been £2,500 matched, £1,900 of it is for a horse that opened at double figure prices, 11/1, with the firms! No way in hell are the bookies not gonna react to such silly sums being traded the night before. These Betfair guys have now ruined any hope the rest of us had of getting a decent price in the morning and they've dashed any hopes they had of topping the price up at 11/1; Paddypower are now 7/2 and with daft money left waiting to be matched the price will remain short. I guess the market must correct itself nearer to the off cos he's never a 7/2 chance.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Betfair - Do they actually want customers?

Did anyone else get a courtesy call from them today? I didnt recognise the number so didn't answer but the guy left a voicemail. Haven't used my account for a while. Might have been some scammer trying to get details?
Didn't get one today but their Promo dept do call alot... I've told em to stop ringing me until they make my points targets a little more realistic!!