** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Barney Curley.....

Re: Barney Curley..... Shadow Boxer a couple of days ago, backed from 14/1 to 13/8 FAV in a 6 runner race and hosed up, never showed a bit of form! If they clamp out Curley, they have to do it to the rest of these gambles! Lets face it, you would love to be doing what Curley is doing, i think people are envious of him actually!

Re: Barney Curley..... Ive got no problem with him doing it and whilst prize money is at such low levels is it a surprise people are turning to a gamble to win money? Also he does it in lowly races like at Wolves on a Monday so its only going to come to the attention of people already interested in racing so the it does no good for attracting new comers isnt an even an argument for me.

Re: Barney Curley..... Sommersturm isn't as "bad" a gamble as some that you see. On a look at his form, the time he was heavily punted in the gamble which involved three of Curley's horses and one with Chris Grant, was his last run over 12f. Since then, he's been campaigned over hurdles or over trips of 16f (set good pace from front, might not have stayed) and then over 10f (didn't have the turn of foot). There was clues there for this one, and I did ponder trying my hand at this one, but the opening show of 5/1 wasn't the most appealing. The gambles that annoy me the most are the ones where they run over the same C&D maybe three or four times, are usually held-up, get a few lbs off his back then backed off the boards, make all and win cosily. They're the ones that are more frustrating, not ones that have been racing over the wrong trip (which are potentially findable, as I showed backing Green Earth just before Christmas at a double figure price with it going off favourite).

Re: Barney Curley..... Think it would take plenty of imagination to make form claims for a horse like this myself. Sommestrum was a 48-rated, UK maiden, can they get much filthier than this? If you go around trying to make form claims such animals then you could be months waiting for a winner as, at the end of the day, they only win when the handbrake is off. Without inside info, punters are on a hiding to nothing. I used to despise trainer like this, and there are plenty of others who operate on a similar level, I guess the most a form student can do is ignore races of a similar banding, as the further you go up the racing pyramid, the less likely there is going to be skullduggery.

Re: Barney Curley..... There are more frequent gangsters in the game than Curley! George Baker/Culhane, Prescott, Venetia Williams! Ruth Carr is one of the biggest gangsters in the game and nobody ever says anything about it! She goes on a "barren" spell for most of the year and the same couple of months every year she will bang in winners left right and centre! Because she deliberately makes sure her horses finish out the back to get them a nice handicap mark! Whats the difference between her and Curley? Curley puts on more money is the only difference i can see!

Re: Barney Curley.....

Ruth Carr is one of the biggest gangsters in the game and nobody ever says anything about it! She goes on a "barren" spell for most of the year and the same couple of months every year she will bang in winners left right and centre! Because she deliberately makes sure her horses finish out the back to get them a nice handicap mark! Whats the difference between her and Curley? Curley puts on more money is the only difference i can see!
:lol :lol :lol :lol Presume you're pulling our legs here Aidy?

Re: Barney Curley..... I think there was more to this gamble than just Sommersturm as well. In the previous race David Evans Aviso won and he was formely trained by good old Barney. Both Aviso and Sommersturm were bred by the same German gentleman so it seems as if the two yards were acting in cahoots. Even though I was on the 2nd you've got to love the good old Curley gambles!

There are more frequent gangsters in the game than Curley! George Baker/Culhane, Prescott, Venetia Williams! Ruth Carr is one of the biggest gangsters in the game and nobody ever says anything about it! She goes on a "barren" spell for most of the year and the same couple of months every year she will bang in winners left right and centre! Because she deliberately makes sure her horses finish out the back to get them a nice handicap mark! Whats the difference between her and Curley? Curley puts on more money is the only difference i can see!
I think there is a hugh amount of trainers are up to a bit of hanky panky , but thats due to very nature of handicapping your horses to win races. I agree that Baker/Culhane/Prescott are major culprits , not too sure about the two ladies you mentioned. Their horses seem to have phases of being in form and out of form. With the Curley stable , he owns the vast majority of horses himself and its through punting which makes the whole operation pay for itself.He has no more than a dozen winners each year and with avarage first place prize money at less than £2K , its hard to see wages,fees and costs paid out of that.Hence the gambles. I for one have no problems with that , afterall its not like he has to answer to punters , he runs the horses for himself , no one else. You can get his autobiography on Ebay for pennies ,well worth a read.

Re: Barney Curley..... Ruth Carr had a bug in her yard the other year Aidy, I think thats why she went on such a bad run. Venetia, well I won't defend her. She's been trying to have it off with touchfromacara lately, pulled it out the other day because she couldn't get a price (although I think its run since and lost).

Re: Barney Curley..... Is it only flat races Curley is known for betting his own horses and winning easily in ? I only ask because he has a horse in the 3.20 at Southwell tomorrow, Bet365 have priced it up 4/1 favourite and At The Races had forecasted it to be a 10/1 shot. The horse has no form, never won over hurdles although did win 2 flat races for the same yard in 2010. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?

Is it only flat races Curley is known for betting his own horses and winning easily in ? I only ask because he has a horse in the 3.20 at Southwell tomorrow' date=' Bet365 have priced it up 4/1 favourite and At The Races had forecasted it to be a 10/1 shot. The horse has no form, never won over hurdles although did win 2 flat races for the same yard in 2010. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?[/quote'] Might be best in watching the morning market.

Is it only flat races Curley is known for betting his own horses and winning easily in ? I only ask because he has a horse in the 3.20 at Southwell tomorrow' date=' Bet365 have priced it up 4/1 favourite and At The Races had forecasted it to be a 10/1 shot. The horse has no form, never won over hurdles although did win 2 flat races for the same yard in 2010. Anyone have any thoughts on this ?[/quote'] He's quite capable of launching a coup with hurdlers as well as flat runners (e.g. in 2009 he had a very lowly rated hurdler called Zabeel Palace that won four races culminating in a class 2 handicap at Ascot).

• 5 weeks later...

Re: Barney Curley..... if the rumours on the grapevine are true, then this J Butler currently training runners on the AW could have links to Curley's yard. They've already had a winner at Southwell with Stand Guard today and now they send the winning jockey, Adam Kirby, to Kempton tonight to ride All About You in the opener. The market move lends weight to the idea there is some truth in the rumours!

if the rumours on the grapevine are true' date=' then this J Butler currently training runners on the AW could have links to Curley's yard. [/quote'] Sure I read somewhere after he had a winner the other week that he rents his stables off Curley or something :unsure

• 5 months later...

Re: Barney Curley..... Hope you were on Aidy mate? :okJust saw the result (in work) and had a feeling this thread may have reappeared lol! Shame I wasn't at home watching At The Races or I'd have definitely had a few quid on myself seeing the price collapse like that so quickly. Happened a few weeks ago at Wolves and I left it alone incase it was a phantom market move (I can be paranoid sometimes in this game) and it hosed up with Fanning on board that day.

Hope you were on Aidy mate? :okJust saw the result (in work) and had a feeling this thread may have reappeared lol! Shame I wasn't at home watching At The Races or I'd have definitely had a few quid on myself seeing the price collapse like that so quickly. Happened a few weeks ago at Wolves and I left it alone incase it was a phantom market move (I can be paranoid sometimes in this game) and it hosed up with Fanning on board that day.
No mate, wasn't on. I just love the way he operates. I would love to be in his shoes. People think he is frauding money out of the betting industry, he still has to go out there and get the horse to win, with a lot of money on the line. The reason people hate him is because he always wins.

Re: Barney Curley..... Hope it didn't come across as me hating him and what he does? I actually don't blame him with the low prize money in the races he tends to operate in. If I were in his shoes I would do it no problems. He doesn't run these horses for us at the end of the day, and seeing the money flood in before the off chances are if you get on you know you are getting a good run for your money whereas you can back a hot favourite with great form who isn't there to win, god knows I've been burnt on those a few times!

Hope it didn't come across as me hating him and what he does? I actually don't blame him with the low prize money in the races he tends to operate in. If I were in his shoes I would do it no problems. He doesn't run these horses for us at the end of the day' date=' and seeing the money flood in before the off chances are if you get on you know you are getting a good run for your money whereas you can back a hot favourite with great form who isn't there to win, god knows I've been burnt on those a few times![/quote'] If you see a Barney gamble, back it.. If the horse loses, Barney loses, and that very rarely happens. I looked at the betting 10 mins before the race and saw it drifting, said to myself "not happening today".. Tuned in just before the off and saw it at 7/2, too late for a bet.... 7/2 ain't bad for a near certainty. Lol!

Re: Barney Curley..... I thought you was talking b*llocks when i read your comments on Ruth Carr a few months ago Aidy but im beginning to agree with you. She's a sneaky f*cker in my opinion, some of hers just seem to randomly improve and they're difficult to predict. Take Al Muheer, he absolutely hosed up at Thirsk a few starst back, i know he was well handicapped on his best form but he practically won on the bridle, gone close since but had a few bad runs in between as well. Klynch went down to a mark of about 50 not even that long ago, then he produces a career best as an older horse a couple of starts ago. It might just be that i cant predict them but i think she's up to something.

No mate' date=' wasn't on. I just love the way he operates. I would love to be in his shoes. People think he is frauding money out of the betting industry, he still has to go out there and get the horse to win, with a lot of money on the line. The reason people hate him is because he always wins.[/quote'] Whilst I can appreciate that he is making a living and have no time for bookmakers, what I don't like is when you have spent hours slaving over the form book and your selection that you have taken 10/1 over, has been backed into 11/2 and then gets beat into 2nd place by a BC plot with no recent form in the book whatsoever...!! It's only happened once this year to me but I was spitting feathers!!!! Same day I started this thread I think! :lol