England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1

maliniok

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Aston Villa 10/10 A v Bristol Rovers at 1.6 on Betfair I can see a few people have picked this previously, but hoping to add a few more interesting facts for others thinking of taking the bet as I see this as a real opportunity to get a bit of cash at a price you will be lucky to get 1.45 for come match day IMO Bristol Rovers struggling above relegation in league 2 Not won a league game since OCTOBER Only won 2 games in this time, in the FA Cup but vs Corby & AFC Totton Lost the last 4, including 2 loses at home (3-2 v bottom club Plymouth) and also 5-2 at home vs Crewe. Throw in the fact that Aston Villa not long ago won 3-1 at stamford bridge. And while they have only won 2 on the road, they have only lost twice in 10 away in the premiership which shows they are doing something right I am aware of all the talk of this being a distraction from the league for them a nd the players wanting to impress v premiership opposition, but the above says to me that Aston Villa should be way to strong. And at this price they are far too tempting. Have also put this in a double with Man City at 3.3 on Betfair and a double with City HT/FT at 5.0 on Betfair.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1

On a side note it looks like Crouch won't be playing, all Gills fans would love to see him out there, due to the content of his autobiography that was released a few years ago. If he does play he will receive absolute dogs abuse, I can't see it though, the situation is discussed in the article below if you are interested: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/oct/26/newsstory.gillingham
Haha, some golden nuggets of controversey surrounding this match, I love the way he paints the scene when he gets to the pub.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Double: Stoke & Sunderland Reason being is that they are both premiership sides playing teams in lower divisions, stoke have had no trouble really in europe and as said in previous entries if they can beat the likes of besitkas they should have no trouble beating gillingham. Sunderland with new manage martin o niel has given the team a great lift and can't see his side going out here to peterborough, i'm sure o' niel will be continuing his great start as sunderland manager. Skybet odds for Stoke 8/13 Skybet odds for Sunderland EVS Double odds 11/5 Works out at £3.23/1 Any tips/advice? Good Luck to everyone this weekend :)

Well i think the only game i m gonna bet on will be liverpool to win 1/2/3-0 @ 2.65 (Bwin) depending on the lineup and will wait to see what's up with the manchester derby and tottenham match! For the first bet IF i decide to place a small stake the reasoning is that Pool dont concede easily' date= apart from the city match and against a lower league club i think they can win to nil, but not over 3.5 goals. Therefore i find 1-0/2-0/3-0 attractive for a small bet.
I think you have got this right, being a Liverpool fan i can't see us conceding and can't see us scoring more than 3 so, advice would be: Handicap -1 Over 1.5 goals Gerrard to score anytime Liverpool clean sheet Good luck all :)

Unfortunately I think our cup run is going to come to an end on Saturday, the drama between Scally and Pulis is certainly an interesting background to the tie, basically Pulis had already decided to move to Bristol City before our Second Division Play-off final against Man City (believe it or not) in '99, he tried to 'blackmail' Scally four days before the final knowing he was going to City regardless of the result, he believed he was owed money based on player sales and other bonuses, Scally refused to pay and it went to court with Pulis claiming wrongful dismissal against the club. I believe it ended in a settlement and plenty of bad blood.. Fast forward to today and obviously the two men have gone in pretty different directions, Pulis is flying high with Stoke and we are back where it started with Pulis in the bottom rung of the football league. Stoke won't be playing a first team but it will be strong and similar, if not stronger, to the sides they put out in the Europa League games, it seems likely it will be similar to the following; ----------------------Begovic---------------------- -Wilkinson----Woodgate-----Upson----Higginbotham- -Pennant-------Palacios--------Delap--------Jerome- ----------------Fuller--------Jones----------------- On a side note it looks like Crouch won't be playing, all Gills fans would love to see him out there, due to the content of his autobiography that was released a few years ago. If he does play he will receive absolute dogs abuse, I can't see it though, the situation is discussed in the article below if you are interested: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2007/oct/26/newsstory.gillingham Their team will I think be strong they were, of course, finalists last year, and I can't see Pulis taking any chances, especially considering his history with us. We are on a decent run at the moment, but with Frank Nouble going back to West Ham and Jo Kuffour back to Bristol Rovers (scored 7 in 12 for us) we are massively short of attacking options. I expect us to line-up like we did on Monday against Aldershot with Danny Kedwell up-front on his own, supported by Curtis Weston who is a central midfielder and/or Chris Whelpdale who is a right winger. We will be playing essentially a 4-5-1, our defence is slow, Matt Lawrence and Andy Frampton at the back have no pace and I expect us to be exposed on more than a few occasions. I have been to a fair few games this season, against Aldershot we had little going forward, they were a poor side but as I have seen plenty of times when we don't have two up front Kedwell struggles and we struggle to score. We are a decent League Two side but there is a massive difference between that and the Premiership, I don't think we have the weapons in the side to cause them problems, Kedwell will run all day but with no-one to play alongside him he will really be up against it. We have a decent midfield but are not a big side and I can see us being bullied out of it, the Stoke side is not one to be out battled and if there were one team you would back to beat a league two side away it would be Stoke with their team of 6 footers. I can't see them being intimidated and I can't see us causing them problems in attack with the current line-up, away win for me, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep a clean sheet either. Stoke - 1.67 - Ladbrokes Stoke -1AH - 2.1 - Paddypower
I like your analysis and will follow this one. Don't know much personally about your lot but have been impressed by the depth of Stoke's squad this season and agree about them not being bullied out of it. Nice article on Crouch btw. GL :hope

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Liverpool v Oldham Oldham @ 21.00 (Coral) I wouldn't normally go for a side with such long odds but it just screams value. Liverpool are on a bit of bumpy form at the moment, losing by three goals to Man City only 3 days prior to this game. Liverpool will be fielding a largely second string, and whilst their second string are superior to Oldham's first side, I feel Oldham will have a stronger desire for this game, with players having had a slightly longer rest than Liverpool's players. I see this being a tight game with Oldham possibly nicking this with a one goal margin.

Liverpool v Oldham Oldham @ 21.00 (Coral) I wouldn't normally go for a side with such long odds but it just screams value. Liverpool are on a bit of bumpy form at the moment, losing by three goals to Man City only 3 days prior to this game. Liverpool will be fielding a largely second string, and whilst their second string are superior to Oldham's first side, I feel Oldham will have a stronger desire for this game, with players having had a slightly longer rest than Liverpool's players. I see this being a tight game with Oldham possibly nicking this with a one goal margin.
:D thats epic indeed. Would you bet your arm on that one? XD
In 2008 Liverpool lost in FA Cup at home 0-1 to Havant & Waterlooville F.C.

In 2008 Liverpool lost in FA Cup at home 0-1 to Havant & Waterlooville F.C.
No, they beat Havant 5-2 in the end. Lost 2-1 to Barnsley in the next round though :ok 21s seem a bit short to me for a League One side versus a Premier League side. I've seen bigger between two teams in the EPL.

No' date=' they beat Havant 5-2 in the end. Lost 2-1 to Barnsley in the next round though :ok 21s seem a bit short to me for a League One side versus a Premier League side. I've seen bigger between two teams in the EPL.[/quote'] Sorry, my bad :)

Derby vs Crystal Palace, 11.01 Crystal Palace - Cardiff 1/2 Carling CUP very important for Crystal Palace. Derby win 9/10 2.30
I can't see Palace winning at Derby - there has been a virus running through the squad, which has particularly affected the defence and there is the first leg of the Carling Cup Semi Final on Tuesday. Some youth team players have been drafted in to the squad. I suppose much depends on the Derby team

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Liverpool -2.5 @ 2.35 bet365 While Dalgleish has said that he will not undermine this game and the competition itself, still expect him to give quite a few of his main players a rest. Expecting a line up of Reina, Kelly, Carragher, Coates, Enrique, Spearing, Adam, Rodriguez, Kuyt, Shelvey and Caroll. It is a pretty strong side to play against an Oldham side that is two divisions below and in 14th position there. Oldham has a yotuhful side that may be overwhelmed by playing at Anfield, and this could see some mistakes in defence as the occasion gets the better of them. Like Liverpool to do well and win this one comfortably.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Sometime in late 1991, I found myself being dragged away from the comfort of my sofa in order to go to the Racecourse Ground with my best mate and his Wrexham fanatical dad. It was a friday night, I froze my knackers off, I have no idea who they played or what the score was, and I missed The Crystal Maze.... The only thing I actually know about that evening was that we needed to go in order to get tickets to what would become one of the greatest cup upsets in history. So mainly for nostalgic reasons I have to take a small punt on Brighton v Wrexham @ 6/1 paddypower Like most of you on here, I'm a bit taken aback by the lack of big prices about this weekend but this one stands out for me. All season Wrexham have been dogged by financial problems and the ongong saga of the takeover, and I have to admit (as a Cestrian ill admit my thinking wasnt in an admirable sense :lol ) I have been waiting for them to implode all season, but to their credit, they have kept on doing the business on the pitch, currently sitting clear at the top of the conference. Brighton sit mid table in the Championship but come into this game having given league leaders Southampton a big spanking on monday and they are drawing huge crowds to their eagerly awaited new stadium (18000+ ave) but it is by no means afortress with a modest 6-3-3 home record. I dont usually look for non footballing, or motivating influences when it comes to punting, but with Wrexham still Haemorraging money, and the players no strangers to not getting paid, this is an ideal chance for the club to land a lucrative 4th round tie which would go a long way to securing the future of the club. Brighton are only 4 points off a playoff spot so I think they will be pretty blase and generally uninterested about the visit of 'little old Wrexham' which imo makes them prime underdog fodder :ok

I like Manchester City at odds 2.18 this round. With united having 6-1 defeat in memory, and their horrible defensive perfomance lately, i Think United Will concentrate on their defence this match. And with City beeing the home team, i think ist fairly to assume the City Will be the dominant side. With that in mind i cant see United keeping City from scoring this match. So a fairly chance of a small victory for the home side, even with Citys injury-list. 2,18 is good value here.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Luke Varney and Ricardo Rocha are likely to be out of the squad for Sunday's trip to Stamford Bridge. We have a miserly record up there anyway, as you'd expect, so I wouldn't put anyone off taking Chelsea on a handicap. We struggle to create much, and are a bit workmanlike in midfield, which will definitely mean we struggle with the pace and movement. Especially if Daniel Sturridge starts. 3 or 4 nil is my call.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Liverpool vs Oldham Home side will not have Suarez, but Gerrard and Carroll are in the starting XI. Also Bellamy. Despite that, I do not expect more than 3 goals here. That wouldn't be Liverpool. They will want to get the qualification and that is that. Home side is not having the profile of a serial killer and Oldham will not be thrashed tonight. They are playing very disciplined in defensive and have always done that. In fact they have great memories from the moment they played last time in Liverpool: 1-0 in FA CUp with Everton! under 3.5 goals @ 1.89 with betway

what poor value QPR are this week away at MK Dons' date= we havent won a cup tie to progress in the FA cup for now 11 years, and i am very concerned we will get knocked out again despite 5000 hardy souls making the trip up to the Franchise club. We are so well supported away from home and the fans do not deserve a weakened team. Wins breed confidence and i hope NW goes for the win here with a no holds barred approach. If we rest on our laurels i think MK may turn us over BArton suspended but on loan Macheda from Man U is eligible to start
If it's true that QPR are poor value, then the logical conclusion is that MK Dons are good value at 2.8 ...

Well I’m definitely taking these two before the price drops anymore. Bristol Rovers vs Villa – Villa to win 1.57 at bet365 (5 units) For all the reasons quoted below Gillingham vs Stoke – Stoke to win 1.67 at Ladbrokes (3 units) Again mentioned this game in an earlier post but I’ve been reading today about the bad blood that simmers between Pullis and the Gillingham chairman after Pullis was sacked as Gills manger in 1999, and so I think that the Stoke manager will not be taking this game likely and I expect a starting line up as strong or even stronger than the Europa Leagues ones. With all the other matches I will probably wait for starting line ups to be announced before taking anything else, as it can be quite hard to predict how managers will approach these games. Will be especially keeping an eye on; Bolton at 1.73 to beat Macclesfield – a Prem vs League 2 clash where the gulf in quality should be a bit too much to overcome assuming a good strength Bolton team. Surely Coyle will want to keep up the bit of momentum that 4 points from 6 has brought them. Sunderland to win away at Peterborough – Sunderland will be fine in the league under MON and he has a very good cup record particularly at Villa, so I think there will be hope for a good cup run. Assuming he doesn’t mess with the first 11 too much I fancy they are worth backing here, and even if he did I’m sure the players coming in will take the chance to impress their new manager. Wolves DNB (2.38 currently) - is another one, but I’ll be waiting to see what team Birmingham put out rather than Wolves. With a promotion push very much the focus in the second half of the season I think Hughton won’t be too keen on a cup run, although I guess his hand could be forced as this is a local derby and the fans wont be too happy if they allow Wolves an easy route through. :hope
Impressive selections and write-ups Dylan :ok

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Coventry to beat Southampton 11/4 most firms Southampton are not the force away from home that they are at home. They have won only three of their 12 away games this season which is poor for a team topping the table. Their recent form has also been poor winning only 1 of their last 6 and culminating with the 3-0 defeat at Brighton. The FA cup is likely to be be a low priority for Manager Adkins who will probably rest some key players and he will also be without leading scorer Lambert due to suspension. Coventry are no world beaters but have improved of late and must have better than a 11/4 chance against a weakened out of form Southampton who are more concerned about the league

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Liverpool vs Oldham Had a couple of days to think about this, and liverpool odds look to be drifting, though I just cannot see Oldham getting anything from Anfield like Norwich or Swansea in the league. Liverpool are not in europe this season and as with the Carling cup Dalglish looks to be really having a go at progressing through the FA cup. Though Dalglish will field a weakened team with the likes of Doni and Shelvey who will be looking to impress, but also possibly contain seniors such as Gerrard and Bellamy, both whom needs a game imo. However I think Dalglish is far too "childish" to sent out a team he believes will scrape a 1 - 0 or 2 - 0 win, but really go and show that they can score at will and put a few past Oldham, who might have a tough night at Anfield. As recently with Barcelona and Real Madrid in the Spanish cup, both were up against 30/1 underdogs at home and Real nearly slipped up having gone 0 - 2 behind at home to lowly Malaga. Though winning in the end 3 - 2, Mourinho had to make a half time triple substitution to bring some of his first team regulars on to rescue their cup hopes. Barcelona after seeing what happened to Real fielded a relatively strong squad against Osasuna with the likes of Pique Puyol Alves Fabregas Xavi Pedro, and messi coming on after the break to score a brace and seal the win. But thats getting abit off topic. Liverpool -2.5 2.325 188 10/10 Liverpool -2.25 2.08 188 10/10 Not chasing losses :moon, but abit of an overbet for me. :hope Lets hope there are no suprises at Anfield.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Brighton vs Wrexham Brighton will be playing a mixture of youth/reserves and first teamers, who I guarantee wouldnt have played together before as a team. Besides 3 againts Southampton, Brighton don't score many and their form has been very iffy. This is againts a Wrexham team in great form (18 games unbeaten - not including Welsh cup and FA Trophy) they are top of the league so confidence will be high, and have the best defence/games in the whole of England. Saying that Wrexham are still 2 clear leagues below Brighton. Therefore I can see the game being very tight and am definately going to be putting big money on under 2.5 at 11/10 (general). I am also going to put a small bet on Wrexham winning 1-0 at 19/1 with Paddy Power :hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope:hope

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Im really liking blackpool to win over Fleetwood Town at 4/5 Although Fleetwood have won 15 matches out of 27 and 8 draws. Being 3 divisions below theyre rivals, Blackpool will be far too much and i expect a easy blackpool victory. Blackpool havent being playing too badly either having picked up 19 out of last 33 possible points. Im really confident of a b'pool win. happy betting

Im really liking blackpool to win over Fleetwood Town at 7/4 Although Fleetwood have won 15 matches out of 27 and 8 draws. Being 3 divisions below theyre rivals, Blackpool will be far too much and i expect a easy blackpool victory. Blackpool havent being playing too badly either having picked up 19 out of last 33 possible points. Im really confident of a b'pool win. happy betting
If you can find a bookie offering 7/4 please let me know. The best odds I can find are 9/10

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Like the look of Charlton at Fulham. Available at 7/1 with most firms. Charlton are flying in League One, and will fancy their chances of causing an upset against an under-strength Fulham. Charlton have the best away record in their league, and Fulham have hardly impressed this season.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 West Brom could be without eight first-team regulars as their injury crisis mounts ahead of Saturday's FA Cup third-round clash with Cardiff at the Hawthorns. Captain Chris Brunt (ankle) has joined Zoltan Gera (knee), striker Shane Long (back) and defender Steven Reid on the sidelines. Centre-back Jonas Olsson (calf), winger Jerome Thomas (groin) plus midfielders James Morrison (hamstring) and Youssouf Mulumbu (groin) are all rated as doubtful.