England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1

maliniok

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1

Paul Scholes comes out of retirement and is on the bench for Manchester United today and is merely a skinny 2/1 to be booked over at Sky Bet! :lol:loon https://twitter.com/#!/SkyBet/status/155984622155612160
very good player. probably too rusty to affect this game in any way...hopefully

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Both Teams fielding strong squads, Manchester City: Pantilimon; Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov; De Jong, Milner; Johnson, Silva, Nasri; Aguero. Manchester United: Lindegaard; Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani; Welbeck, Rooney. City looks stronger on paper i think, but Utd not really using any "reserve" players. Everyone still confident about their bets? Im hoping my City -0.25 will come good.

Both Teams fielding strong squads, Manchester City: Pantilimon; Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Kolarov; De Jong, Milner; Johnson, Silva, Nasri; Aguero. Manchester United: Lindegaard; Smalling, Jones, Ferdinand, Evra; Valencia, Carrick, Giggs, Nani; Welbeck, Rooney. City looks stronger on paper i think, but Utd not really using any "reserve" players. Everyone still confident about their bets? Im hoping my City -0.25 will come good.
The team news definitely works out better for Man United, at the moment that's possibly the strongest they could play. Not sure about either keeper, would defnitely improve the chances of BTTS. Still won't be getting involved in this game though

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Manchester City-Manchester United. I'll be having a punt on City to be winning after 15 minutes @ 5.5 Ladbrokes. Man City had fired blanks in 2 matches before beating Liverpool, but they had numerous chances though and if they continue from where they have left against the kops I can see them scoring quickly as a cup tie does not warrant a round of observation. Small stake.

thanks Jase :ok well it's good to have an insider's insight, and I get your arguments though, I'll go with small stakes on this of course EPL is uncomaparable but what Red Devil said can't be ignored. Especially if you consider the fact that they let in at least 1 in 15/19 games, with (in most cases) first choice backline. If 2 new players are introduced, + goallie who lacks playing time, I think it's worth giving a go at these odds cheers
I still don't get the reasoning myself mate because it's not just the Chelsea defence you have to look at, but the Pompey offense too (Only three goals scored in nine away fixtures since we scored three up at West Ham). But GL with your bet :ok I hope it comes off as another cup run is needed with the way our finances are going again :)

I don't think you closely. Well I do and the Basle match was over a month ago. Until the Blackburn match United were 8-1-0 in the league. I cannot remember the last time United lost 3 matches in a row. United will bounce back. AH+0,5 on United looks good to me, City will mainly rely on Silva and Aguero.
Ha ha,fair play mate.well done :ok 3-0 at HT already :eek

Anyone is thinking to oppose Sunderland and West Ham today ? Sunderland is facing a selection issue for this game while West Ham might be thinking of promotion more than going forward in the FA Cup. Opinions ?
I think motivation is a factor to look for here. For example, Swindon v Wigan. Wigan, fighting relegation, it seems weren't taking the FA Cup as seriously as Swindon. Wigan made 9 changes to their team, and it sounds as though Swindon were well worth their win - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16372054.stm Equally of course, you could have said that Swindon are more interested in trying to get promoted from League Two than the FA Cup. But I suppose the team changes told their own story (I don't think Swindon made any). You could argue that relegation from the Premier League would impact Wigan more heavily than promotion from League 2 would affect Swindon - the financial difference between the Premier and Championship is greater than between League 1 and 2. Other things to look for in cup ties are the likely attitude of the manager to the cup, and whether they have a realistic chance of winning it (teams like Aston Villa would believe they have a chance). For the two games you referred to today: Peterborough (4.2) v Sunderland (1.95) Mid-table Championship v mid-table Premier League Sheff Weds (3) v West Ham (2.5) Promotion-chasing League 1 v promotion-chasing Championship (Odds in brackets are latest home/away odds in the 3-way win/draw/lose market) I think all four teams will take the cup fairly seriously. Sunderland might think they have an outside chance of getting to Wembley I suppose. Realistically, the other teams probably don't, so the attraction for them is the cup run, the glamour, and the extra money they will earn. It looks to me that the odds are about right. Under Steve Bruce, I think there might have been a bit of value on Peterborough. Sunderland were near the bottom of the table and low on confidence. But they seem to have improved a lot under Martin O'Neill. Team news will be interesting, but of course the bookmakers will probably slash the odds on a team if their opponents make a lot of team changes.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 I'd have said a decent cup run for Swindon would be more (sadly) important than gaining promotion from League Two. It's the short-termism that has crept into our way of life. Financially speaking they'd see more from a decent cup run than gaining promotion. Some good points made MPlouis :ok

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 hillsborough team news: wednesday: weaver,otsemobor,jones,batth,r johnson tavernier,semedo,lines,bennett o'grady, j johnson not sure how wednesday will line up either 3 centre backs with o'grady on his own up front and j johnson wide or j johnson up front with o'grady incidentally tavernier and bennett are full backs playing by the looks of things in midfield west ham: boffin,mccartney,potts,reid,o'brien o'neil,lansbury,collison, sears,carew,baldock even though a load of changes the west ham midfield and attck look strong i would expect goals (>2.5) and west ham to win 3-1 3-2 maybe

City - United I think that Man City were lucky against Liverpool. Thanks to Joe Hart they didn't go 1 down, and then a howler from Reina + Toure's header settled the game. I was not too impressed with how they played, like in the previous 2 EPL games where they failed to score (but that was away from home) Now they head into a derby fixture with a team that has been wounded heavily recently. Sir Alex said he would put up a strong squad, and certainly he will have his players motivated. I think that he will go for defensive tactics with the focus on not conceding, as something went terribly wrong for them last time they met their neighbours. City on the other end are not firing as they have been in the earlier stages of the season. There will be some absentees in both camps, and I think this pair will need another match to decide who goes through. Therefore I'll go for unders here, with some speculative bets to make the game even more interesting to watch. My selections: under 2.5 @2.0 7/10 pts :( 0-0 cs @11 1/10 pts :( City to win to nil @3.5 2/10 pts :( all with bet365
I got this game horribly wrong. It didn't go my way, but I think United were poor today, they played almost entire game with an advantage but still failed to create chances

I still don't get the reasoning myself mate because it's not just the Chelsea defence you have to look at' date=' but the Pompey offense too (Only three goals scored in nine away fixtures since we scored three up at West Ham). But GL with your bet :ok I hope it comes off as another cup run is needed with the way our finances are going again :)[/quote'] of s**t full-strength Chelsea squad :loon

I got this game horribly wrong. It didn't go my way' date=' but I think United were poor today, they played almost entire game with an advantage but still failed to create chances[/quote'] ref killed the game mate, dont dwell on it too much. doesnt reflect ur skills as a punter, just plain bad luck

I'd have said a decent cup run for Swindon would be more (sadly) important than gaining promotion from League Two. It's the short-termism that has crept into our way of life. Financially speaking they'd see more from a decent cup run than gaining promotion. Some good points made MPlouis :ok
Ludicrous.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Lads just to say thanks for the Villa/Stoke tips. Much appreciated. What is the Sunderland lineup? Advised someone against betting it. The standard is so high on here that I first pick my selections and then check to see if people agree with it here to determine if I place the bet.

Lads just to say thanks for the Villa/Stoke tips. Much appreciated. What is the Sunderland lineup? Advised someone against betting it. The standard is so high on here that I first pick my selections and then check to see if people agree with it here to determine if I place the bet.
Mignolet, Gardner, Bardsley, O'Shea, Kilgallon, Larsson, McClean, Cattermole ©, Vaughan, Richardson, Sessegnon. Subs: Turner, Wickham, Dong-won, Meyler, Elmohamady, Ryan Noble, Westwood

Manchester City v Manchester United I fancy City to edge this in what I feel will be a tight game with little goals. The price of City at 6/5 is good enough for me to take but i would not be as confident to take it if it dropped much lower. United are missing many key players at the moment and have looked very out of sorts in their last two games against Blackburn and Newcastle, both of which they lost. Citys form has not been as impressive recently as earlier in the season, however they looked back in business at home to Liverpool on Tuesday night this will give them confidence going into Sundays game. Only blows are missing Yaya Toure and possibly Ballotelli. The reason for few goals are that City have only scored 8 from their last 6 games, much less than they were earlier in the year. Rooney is Uniteds main goal threat and he looked very out of sorts on Wednesday night, I don't rate Berbatov in the bigger games also so cant see him getting on the scoresheet. Finally, 5 of the last 6 clashes between the two sides at City's ground have went under 2.5 goals and under 1.5 goals. Selections: Manchester City @ 2.2 with Betfair - 4 units Under 2.5 goals @ evens with Betfair - 4 units 1-0 City @ 10 with Betfair - 1 unit
Football, bloody hell. Think I'll take a mid season break, on a shocking run.

Long time lurker around here, finally decided to join up. Hopefully I'll get off to a good start. Sheffield Wednesday V West Ham Sheffield Wednesday have been in fantastic form at home this season winning 10 and drawing 3 of there 13 home games in all competitions. In these 13 home games they have only failed to score twice against Brentford and Backpool. West Ham have the best away record in the championship picking up 24 points from 13 away games with a record of 7-3-3. They have scored in 10 of these away games. The games they failed to score in were against local rivals Millwall, top of the league Southampton and when they had 9 men against Reading. Sheffield Wednesday's captain Rob Jones should be fit to play after his back spasm has cleared up which should help massively if as expected John Carew starts the game. They don't have any other injury concerns and from reading the managers comments I think he will pick a near full strength side. West Ham on the other hand have confirmed they will be resting players with players like Gary O'Neil, Frank Nouble, John Carew, Henri Lansbury and Freddie Sears pushing for starts. They are already without Matt Taylor, Abdoulaye Faye and Guy Demel. I would also expect Rob Green to be rested. All of this to me points to BTTS at 1.73 (5/10) on William Hill. I also fancy Sheffield Wednesdays chances of winning this but that will depend on the starting line ups. If they play a full strength side I fancy there chances of beating an under strength West Ham out fit. So I'll also take Sheffield Wednesday and over 2.5 at 4.33 (2/10) on William Hill.
Typical West Ham miss a penalty for BTTS and I knew I should of just gone with a straight Sheffield Wednesday win, won't be making that mistake again :@ -5.9 units for this weekend, still +18.1 overall, roll on the weekend

City vs Utd City -0.5 2.120 Pinnacle, Heavy :(
Bit of an overbet here which resulted in a "heavy" loss. Though last night I was abit pissed off. Ive got a much cooler head now. I can rant about more than one thing, on this game and on some others, but ill keep it short. Chris foy is an absolute nob. I dont say this lightly but he seems abit of a racist old fashioned refree. Having sent off Kompany harshly, he then went to brand cheap yellow cards to Welbeck, Nani, Ferdinand and Evra. And I will go on to have another rant. William hill were offering 7/1 for a goal to be scored in either injury time. Before the game I thought theres going to be goals in this one looking at the teamsheets and was dissapointed to see overs shorten so much. So instead of the standard over 2.5 and 3.5 I thought id go for it, thinking that there should be around 4-5 minutes of stappage time and at 7/1 it contained superb value, compared to the 4/5 for overs offered this on a extremely conservative estimate contains at least even odds, with higher deviation but has the plus side of possibly more goals in the match and more goals scored generally in late stages of the map... especially with manchester united around. What happened? Welbeck could easily have scored in 1st half stoppage time, and manchester city had a even better one with a Kolarov free kick in the 2nd half, which lindergaard parryed and luckily did not fall to any of the 5 man city players in front of him. Funnily enough my bets of over 2.5 and 3.5 would have made me a healthy profit, which i opted against taking. I know I did say I wont rant, and I have ranted quite abit now, but I just cant stop once I start typing.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Arsenal/Leeds I fancy Arsenal to win this one without a lot of problems. Leeds best results tend to come at home and they have some key players out at present. Arsenal appear to getting better as the season progresses and probably fancy a good crack at the FAC. Leeds fans seemed quite down before the Burnley game, more so than for several years and Grayson's job was at risk not the best way to go into a game against an improving Arsenal side. Value looks like the 9/5 with Paddy Power for Arsenal to win both halves.

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 tbh I think Chris Foy probably realised he'd fcuked up, or at least how massive the decision was, so really it was in his mind to even things up a bit. Giggs should have had at least a yellow too, which he failed to deal with, so in hindsight it doesn't surprise me he dished out the yellows United's way quite cheaply. Always worth baring in mind who the referee is before placing any large wagers, as this isn't the first time this season Chris Foy has made some controversial decisions. Probably trying to compete with Uriah Rennie :lol

tbh I think Chris Foy probably realised he'd fcuked up' date=' or at least how massive the decision was, so really it was in his mind to even things up a bit. Giggs should have had at least a yellow too, which he failed to deal with, so in hindsight it doesn't surprise me he dished out the yellows United's way quite cheaply. Always worth baring in mind who the referee is before placing any large wagers, as this isn't the first time this season Chris Foy has made some controversial decisions. Probably trying to compete with Uriah Rennie :lol[/quote'] Perhaps, I never really paid too much attention to refrees as I thought it was probably only useful for betting on the cards markets. It would be some job to see if any refree "favoured" a team. Early thoughts for Arsenal vs Leeds Wenger will be missing Van persie, who is on holiday in Dubai, as well as Gervinho at the African Cup of nations. Henry might possibly start in Van Persies place and Wenger will name his stongest possible 11. And is treating this game as any premier league game, learning from his mistakes as a direct quote from last season, where the Gunners drew 1 - 1 after a late Fabregas penalty (He just scored for Barcelona as im typing this), to save the tie for the gunners. Though the reverse fixture at Elland road Arsenal won 1 - 3. I'd imagine that the lineups would look like this: Szczesny in goal, firm reliable young keeper and an excellent shot stopper, and i'd imagine leeds will fire some in from long ranges and it will be something special to beat Szczesny. Infact Johnson scored an excellent goal from 35 yards in their 1 - 3 loss at home to beat szczesny, though that was described as a "once in a lifetime" strike. Up front: Walcott Henry Ramsey. They will be missing Van Persie and less so Gervinho, who are both top quality players. It will be intersting to watch Henry play again, though I cannot make a judgement on him as I dont follow MLS. His goalscoring record for them is about 1 goal in every 3 appearances over the recent couple of seasons. In midfield perhaps Oxlade Chamberlain will be dropped behind the front 3 with Song and Arteta covering. Song and Arteta are both experienced, solid and composed players who will help Arsenal dominate the midfield. In defence Arsenal have abit of a crisis. Koscielny and Squillaci will probably start, but preferred Djourou and Vermaelon wont. Fringe players in contention are probably the likes of Miquel and Hoyte, with Sagna, Santos, Jenkinson and Gibbs joining Vermaelon and Djourou on the sidelines with injury and suspension respectively. Briefly on Leeds, who will have a positive attitute going into this game after their recent win in the championship to end their miserable run. Though it wont be an easy game at the emirates. Getting past Song and Arteta will be a task for leeds, though the back four look quite vulnerable. As said before I'd imagine Grayson to put out his strongest squad with no reservations, and he has already got some decent results from the emirates in recent seasons, and as said before the latest being a 1 - 1 draw. Betwise Over 2.5 looks a mug punt, as well as Both teams to score. Leeds will need some help from the Arsenal defence to score, but they have given alot of cheap goals recently. Arsenal are desperate for silverware and Wenger will see the FA cup as the most likely, with the League and Champions league out of their reach imo. Bit more on this tommorow. Though my predictions have been so terrible, i might as well bet on the opposite of what I predict... and then inevitably my inital prediction prooves to be the right one...

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Im fancying a bet on the Arsenal Leeds match. I want to see Leeds lose but thats down to local rivalry ha, but at the minute im unsure of what road to go down, maybe i'll even wait til in-game and see how it goes (ie if leeds take the lead take a risk on arsenal pulling it back or next goal etc). Will be checking back here to read through everyones thoughts though :D

Re: England > FA Cup 3rd round > Fri 6/1- Mon 9/1 Leeds AH+1.75 1.95 Pinnacle 3/10 I decided to go for this one hoping that Leeds can keep it close. On one hand Leeds had some good results vs. big sides in the cup in recent years (draw at Tottenham and Arsenal, win at ManU), on the other hand they were disappointing vs. smaller teams. But this is an ideal opportunity for them without having too much pressure. Leeds wants to show that they can be a PL side (their clear aim is promotion), so I expect them to put a lot of effort in this match. Arsenal have been ok but not too strong throughout the last weeks and they didn´t score many goals. Moreover they have defensive issues and some injury concerns...and I really doubt that already retired Henry, who had a good season in the USA, will be a big help, if he starts, although Leeds seems to be one of his favourite opponents (if I remember this right). But MLS in general is on a lower level and it should be hard to return to European football.