** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Betfair in running market 2.00 Leopardstown

Aykay1

Re: Betfair in running market 2.00 Leopardstown

Betfair Customer Services Joined: 22 May 02 Replies: 3424 28 Dec 11 16:42
Customers betting in-play on this race will have seen that Voler La Vedette was available to back at 29 when the in-running market was suspended, and that a considerable sum was matched on the clear winner at that price. An investigation has revealed that this was due to an obvious technical failure which allowed a customer to exceed their exposure limit. In accordance with our terms and conditions, all in running bets on this race, both win and place, will be made void. We fully appreciate the dissatisfaction this will cause many customers, and apologise for a very poor customer and betting experience.
This sounds like a nonsense to me. Like TBR says, surely someone doesnt have £600m in their account???

Re: Betfair in running market 2.00 Leopardstown Similar thing happened with me years ago. I was watching the boxing and noticed ladbrokes still had betting up for a fight that had just finished. I put as much as they would allow on the correct round and they paid me out. Withdrew it straight away and they tried to get it back by ringing and sending me emails but I just never replied. At the end of the day it's there own faults.

Similar thing happened with me years ago. I was watching the boxing and noticed ladbrokes still had betting up for a fight that had just finished. I put as much as they would allow on the correct round and they paid me out. Withdrew it straight away and they tried to get it back by ringing and sending me emails but I just never replied. At the end of the day it's there own faults.
I disagree at the end of the day its dishonest and theft.

Another boo boo by Betfair There was a technical error during the Voler La Vedette race in which her price failed to drop as she crossed the line and the exchange have now cancelled all in play bets. Taken from the RP........

BETFAIR announced they have voided all in-running bets on a race at Leopardstown after a two and a half hour investigation into unusual betting patterns. RELATED LINKS

A near incredible incident left the betting exchange facing a pay out of £23million after the monster sum of £1,642,094 was matched in running at a price of 29 (28-1) on Christmas Hurdle winner Voler La Vedette. Her price failed to drop as she crossed the line four and three quarter lengths in front of Mourad having been sent off a 13-8 chance and never out of contention. Following the lengthy internal investigation, Betfair issued a statement which read: "Customers betting in-play on this race will have seen that Voler La Vedette was available to back at 29 when the in-running market was suspended, and that a considerable sum was matched on the clear winner at that price. "An investigation has revealed that this was due to an obvious technical failure which allowed a customer to exceed their exposure limit. "In accordance with our terms and conditions, all in running bets on this race, both win and place, will be made void. "We fully appreciate the dissatisfaction this will cause many customers, and apologise for a very poor customer and betting experience."

What are everyone else thoughts on Betfair? Do you use Betfair much and are you happy with its current place in the game? Personally I'd find it easier getting on if Betfair and the like were closed down. There is no liquidity until noon the next day, by which time plenty of information has been exposed to the betting masses and you could have to take 6/1 about a horse double that the night before. If you are wanting to have more than £25 on anything other than a favourite it seems you have to wait until noon on race day. The prices on Betfair can also be hammered by individuals who hoover up the scraps of liquidity the night before a race and leave money stacked back, waiting to be matched - signs the bookies act on, and cut the prices in response to, ruining things for everybody else. Betting exchanges have always been around since I have been interested in the game - what was it like trying to get on before they came around? Did many, if any firms price up races the night before as they do now?

Re: Another boo boo by Betfair When Betfair was first launched it was fantastic. The Betfair priced were always far superior to those of the betting shops 20-30% better each runner. If it was 7/1 in the shops it would be 9/1 or better on BF. It was a good few years for those who were clued up.Unfortnately for me I didn't spend as much time on BF as I should have. Today theres nothing special about BF I rarely use it , its dominated by those with big bankrolls and those with inside info. Also the prices are not as attractives they used to be. With a general 7/1 shot , its 7.1/1 or maybe 7.2/1.

Betting exchanges have always been around since I have been interested in the game - what was it like trying to get on before they came around? Did many, if any firms price up races the night before as they do now?
Thing is Fin many years ago there were hardly any early prices available, bookies never opened a book the night before and just going back 15 years bookies like Hills only had one or two early priced races a day. It was the Internet boom that caused the early birds as they were known then, the bookies that were not on the high street started betting early obvioulsy to get the business from the likes of laddies, Hill and Corals and eventually they followed suit. Exchanges took it to another level and now we have a situation where bigger prices are offered but they either dont last long or you cant get enough on to make it worth it, the worlds gone mad!

Re: Another boo boo by Betfair Does anyone think this may have been one of betfairs own bots that went rogue, that's why there was no liability block on it . With all the shennanigins they've been up to you never know :unsure

Betting exchanges have always been around since I have been interested in the game - what was it like trying to get on before they came around? Did many, if any firms price up races the night before as they do now?
Some may remember a firm named LuvBet that priced uk races up the night before. Got batterd by the shrewdies and shut down with huge losses apparently

Yes!! I used to "luv" luvbet!! Their price complilers were useless :lol
Too true,they were clueless :lol First online book I got barred from :sad Did me a favour though got my money back before they went bump,believe a few lost quite a fair bit of money unfortunately :(

An amazing in running market for the 2.00 Leopardstown. VdV was 29.0 from start to finish, even as he trotted over the line! Betfair have a right mess on their hands. :loon http://www.sportismadeforbetting.com/
Statement is not correct. VdV was NOT @ 29 from start to finish. Started at 2.6 then increased gradually as the horse was for most of the race in the bottom 2 position. Only in the last few hurdles gained places to finally emerge on top. Genuinely I backed VdV @ 2.6 before race, then again live.....got paid on the antepost....

Just seen this' date=' reading through the threads on betfair now lol got to feel for the geniune backers.[/quote'] Palpable error situation - started 13/8 in 6-runner race, held up but always travelling well. Can't see how there can have been any 'genuine' backers at 29, just a bunch of people hoping to cash in on an obvious computer or human error and now whinging because they haven't got paid.

Re: Betfair in running market 2.00 Leopardstown I can't believe there are people, who expect to be paid on this. Obviously feel sorry for the genuine backers, but Betfair is the place where you HAVE TO expect to be "hit" by injustice from time to time, since it's not a normal bookie. No first past the post, live markets when there's stewards enquiry, live markets when there's photo finish. Punters should be used to potential losing on amended results and other similar situations.

Re: Another boo boo by Betfair

When Betfair was first launched it was fantastic. The Betfair priced were always far superior to those of the betting shops 20-30% better each runner. If it was 7/1 in the shops it would be 9/1 or better on BF. It was a good few years for those who were clued up.Unfortnately for me I didn't spend as much time on BF as I should have. Today theres nothing special about BF I rarely use it , its dominated by those with big bankrolls and those with inside info. Also the prices are not as attractives they used to be. With a general 7/1 shot , its 7.1/1 or maybe 7.2/1.
I agree with this. For me the organisation became way to big.Home page became more and more cluttered with every conceivable spin off market and not focusing on their core business. Commission of 5% on the exchange is too high. Introducing Premium charge on winners in 2008 and then upping it in 2011 just showed they are not a neutral bet provider and was just aligning themselves more and more with the traditional bookie. I stopped using them when they withdrew their premiership accumulator market where you could lay the top 4 at prices set by you. They've thrown their lot in with a low traffic poker network as well. They've had about 10k commission out of me and when they want my opinion I get shoved a one size fits all questionaire to fill in. They are 24 % below IPO atm and its several years of dreadful management decisions that has this company in decline.

I can't believe there are people, who expect to be paid on this. Obviously feel sorry for the genuine backers, but Betfair is the place where you HAVE TO expect to be "hit" by injustice from time to time, since it's not a normal bookie. No first past the post, live markets when there's stewards enquiry, live markets when there's photo finish. Punters should be used to potential losing on amended results and other similar situations.
I agree that no-one can expect to be paid here as there are no genuine backers at 29.0. However, whether Betfair is a normal bookie or not, they are an £840 million (approx) company. These "errors" should not happen. Their explanation is ridiculous by the way - if it's true that Betfair let someone exceed their exposure limit, surely this shows up a pretty major flaw in the Betfair system. Simply unnaceptable. Interesting article here by the way about the development of Betfair: http://community.betfair.com/general_betting/go/thread/view/94082/28762145/interview-with-former-betfair-head-of-education---scott-ferguson Worth a read.

When I said genuine backers I didn't mean anyone at the error price, got to feel sorry for the people that bet the horse at genuine prices and are settled void.. What about if you layed pre race with a view to back in running your lay bet is settled and the inrunning one void,, ouch.

Re: Betfair in running market 2.00 Leopardstown Most likely explanation, stolen from the Betfair forum.

The amount of the lay bet was 2^31-1 pence (2 raised to the power of 31 minus 1). This is the largest number that can represented by a signed 32 bit integer and it is no coincidence that this was the lay amount. My guess as to what happened is that the customer was using their own software via either the API or the web interface. In either case there would be no sanity checks, by the customers software, before submitting bets. On the customers side, their software has mixed and matched signed and unsigned 32 bit and 64 bit integers. When you do this you can start off with -1 and end up with 2^31-1 (2147483647) pence. The program has then submitted this as a Lay at 29. On Betfairs side, the software, has received the bet, checked that the odds are okay and the amount is okay and then calculated whether the customer has the funds to cover the bet. This calculation has multiplied 2147483647 by 28 and compared the result with the customers balance. Unfortunately for betfair they have used a 32 bit signed integer for the calculation and this has resulted in an overflow and so instead of the calculated exposure being £601,295,421.16 it has been £-0.28. Since the customer had a positive balance they allowed the bet through. The fix will have involved a simple check on the exposure calculation to ensure an overflow doesn't occur.
Taken from post by Paranoid on Betfair community.