** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

UEFA Europa League > 29 September

Thursday 29 September 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Lokomotiv Moscow v Anderlecht (17:00 BST) 1.92 3.44 4 106.15 %
maximize.gif Rubin Kazan v PAOK (17:00 BST) 1.65 3.58 5.52 106.65 %
maximize.gif AEK Athens v SK Puntigamer Sturm Graz (18:00 BST) 1.95 3.4 3.87 106.53 %
maximize.gif AEK Larnaca v Steaua Bucuresti (18:00 BST) 2.86 3.25 2.6 104.20 %
maximize.gif Celtic v Udinese (18:00 BST) 2.62 3.25 2.55 108.08 %
maximize.gif FC Schalke 04 v Maccabi Haifa (18:00 BST) 1.38 4.6 8.5 105.81 %
maximize.gif FC Twente v Wisla Kraków (18:00 BST) 1.4 4.33 7.5 107.51 %
maximize.gif Malmö FF v FK Austria Wien (18:00 BST) 2.36 3.3 3.25 103.45 %
maximize.gif Metalist Kharkiv v AZ Alkmaar (18:00 BST) 2.25 3.3 3.22 105.80 %
maximize.gif NK Maribor v Birmingham City (18:00 BST) 2.3 3.25 3.2 105.50 %
maximize.gif Odense BK v Fulham (18:00 BST) 3 3.25 2.44 105.09 %
maximize.gif Sporting de Braga v Club Brugge (18:00 BST) 1.65 3.6 5.68 105.99 %
maximize.gif Stade Rennais v Atlético Madrid (18:00 BST) 2.82 3.21 2.45 107.43 %
maximize.gif Athletic Bilbao v Paris Saint-Germain (20:05 BST) 2.36 3.3 3.27 103.26 %
maximize.gif FC Red Bull Salzburg v Slovan Bratislava (20:05 BST) 1.83 3.5 4.43 105.64 %
maximize.gif FC Vaslui v FC Zürich (20:05 BST) 2.1 3.27 3.4 107.61 %
maximize.gif Legia Warszawa v Hapoel Tel Aviv (20:05 BST) 2.2 3.3 3.25 106.53 %
maximize.gif Maccabi Tel Aviv v Dynamo Kyiv (20:05 BST) 3.58 3.26 2.18 104.48 %
maximize.gif Rapid Bucuresti v PSV Eindhoven (20:05 BST) 3.03 3.3 2.25 107.75 %
maximize.gif Sporting CP v Lazio (20:05 BST) 2.1 3.25 3.57 106.40 %
maximize.gif Standard de Liège v FC København (20:05 BST) 2.24 3.3 3.35 104.80 %
maximize.gif Stoke City v Besiktas JK (20:05 BST) 1.9 3.41 4.17 105.69 %
maximize.gif Tottenham Hotspur v Shamrock Rovers (20:05 BST) 1.14 7.5 19.4 105.98 %
maximize.gif Vorskla Poltava v Hannover 96 (20:05 BST) 3.15 3.3 2.2 107.50 %

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Can everyone please note the following: Discussion and disagreement within the betting threads is absolutely fine, but please don't allow it to descend into bickering and petty points-scoring. Any personal abuse will result in a 24 hour ban. Off-topic posts will be moved into here at the discretion of the mods: CL & Europa League forum dumping ground All in-play comments belong in the Livescore thread here: European Livescore > 27-29 September Thanks. :ok

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September I don't know much about Celtic to be honest - except that they aren't that good in Europe. Despite what they lack in terms of quality, they still have their history and home crowd that will ensure they go for the win in this match. Providing that Udinese name a good XI I actually like the fact that Celtic will attack. In will give Udinese the best chance of exposing the gaps that will be left. It really is a case of how strong a side they name because there will be a serious temptation to rest players given their schedule. I see it as a relatively even match-up taking everything into consideration but I'll be tempted to go on Udinese if they name a satisfactory XI. I would be grateful for opinions on Celtic though, particularly the mobility of their CB's as well as physical attributes such as pace in the defensive third. Movement and pace are vital parts of Udinese's game.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September

I don't know much about Celtic to be honest - except that they aren't that good in Europe. Despite what they lack in terms of quality, they still have their history and home crowd that will ensure they go for the win in this match. Providing that Udinese name a good XI I actually like the fact that Celtic will attack. In will give Udinese the best chance of exposing the gaps that will be left. It really is a case of how strong a side they name because there will be a serious temptation to rest players given their schedule. I see it as a relatively even match-up taking everything into consideration but I'll be tempted to go on Udinese if they name a satisfactory XI. I would be grateful for opinions on Celtic though, particularly the mobility of their CB's as well as physical attributes such as pace in the defensive third. Movement and pace are vital parts of Udinese's game.
Agree. I'm looking forward to take Udinese also and it's priced at the generous price of 2,60 at the moment. Celtic is weak In Europe but is top team in Scotland. Feedback on Celtic would be appreciated.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Alright lads, been meaning to put a post up and then saw your posts so will reply. Udinese look well overpriced to me at 2.6/2.7 on Betfair. Its interesting you saying Udinese may rest players. Celtic have a decent midfield who I think can compete at this level, other than that its clear Udinese are a stronger side. Defensively we look very poor at the minute, you wanted to know about the mobility of our defence, its almost non existent. On Saturday Glenn Loovens and Daniel Majstorovic both started in the heart of the defence and both are very slow, immobile, indecisive centre backs who got themselves into a real mess at times against a limited Caley Thistle side. The fans have turned on them aswell and the noticeable groans around every mistake only adds to the tension and for Majstorovic in particular, his confidence looks gone after being sent off inside a minute away to Sion. Our most mobile centre half Kelvin Wilson is out for between 8-10 weeks and left back El Kaddouri is cup tied having already played in Europe for Dynamo Kiev. The back four looks worrying with only Charlie Mulgrew looking good enough at this level, he will either play centre back with Loovens or be punted out to left back to cover for El Kaddouri although there is also the option for Mark Wilson who hasn't really got going this season to move to left back. After a promising second half to the season last season under Neil Lennon we have struggled this season. We have failed to win any game against decent opposition so far : Celtic 0-0 Sion - Sion came to sit in and Celtic created very little, Gary Hooper our best striker was out injured and we looked powerpuff, a very disappointing display. Sion 3-1 Celtic - the usual away European disaster, down to ten men and a penalty conceded inside the first minute thanks to the bombscare that is Majstorovic. Atletico Madrid 2-0 Celtic - Celtic actually played ok in spells and after the predictable loss of an early goal passed the ball ok and dominated for periods in the second half without ever looking like scoring. Rangers 4-2 Celtic - Our only test against opposition of any note in the SPL and we were turned over after a woeful second half display and the fans left questioning Lennons persistence with guys like Samaras and breaking up the fruitful Hooper & Stokes partnership. Its hard to predict the Celtic line up as Hooper is an injury doubt and Lennon often calls on Samaras for the European games.. The midfield picks itself and is the strongest area of the team. Ledley, Ki, Kayal are all players who will fancy themselves against this level of opposition and the latter two have attracted interest from the top leagues over the summer while young pacey winger James Forrest is improving all the time. Udinese were very impressive against Arsenal over two legs and Di Natale could cause havoc for the Celtic defence, they looked a very tidy passing side with a lot of pace on the counter. Celtic at home always have a chance and historically we have a very good home European record but the days of teams fearing coming here are long gone unfortunately and I can't see it being full on Thursday and I don't think the 6pm ko will help in that respect. Im hopeful and can never write us off, we have a decent midfield but against good teams defensively we look very suspect and don't look enough of a threat in the final third, especially with Hooper our best striker doubtful and the chance that Lennon will again turn to Samaras in a big game. Hope I'm wrong but if Udinese play a strong XI the odds look overpriced to me, I expected closer to evens for the away side.

Anyone tell me why Metalist are at that price ? Look overpriced to me.
Maybe it's because of AZ away performance this season and Metalists good performance in their own league. Jablonec - AZ 1:1 Twente - AZ 2:0 Aalesund - AZ 2:1 Groningen - AZ 0:3 RKC Waalwijk - AZ 1:2 Anyway, AZ (0,+0.5) @ 1.93 looks like worth a shot.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September For those who were asking RE: Celtic vs Udinese, Gary Hooper "...will train as normal and is available for selection", according to the official Celtic site. I also agree that the price on Udinese is too high, I was expecting around 2.2 or similar. Celtic are shaky at the back, and the constant re-shuffling due to injuries/suspensions and ineligibility of our defenders in recent weeks [Celtic have only played the same back four in consecutive matches on one occasion this season so far] has lead to a lack of understanding and communication, and at times it seems a lack of trust, between Frazer Forster in goal and the defence in front of him, and it's something Udinese can exploit. If I can bring myself to bet against us, and the price is still as high as it currently is come Thursday evening then I'm all over Udinese - even the 1.8 on offer on Udinese DNB seems tempting at the moment.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September The question is if Tottenham will match their reserves again or not. They are outspoken about their lack of interest in the Europa League but I reckon they won't lay down on home turf. I'm thinking the handicap line here might be slightly off and am considering Shamrock +2...

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September I see a lot of these odds are based on name alone, and strengths of each individual league. Maccabi Tel Aviv interest me on some form of handicap initially. Unless I'm mistaken they've only been beaten by Bayern Munich at home 1-0 during the last ten years of competitive European fixtures. Obviously, these things need to be taken into context as there have been some decent results, but there have also been some results versus mediocre opposition. There's also some gaps where they haven't qualified. I wasn't that impressed with Kiev against Stoke, although I do rate them overall as a tough side, I just feel they are a tad too short here. Having said that, Stoke played a tough game that night. Tel Aviv should prove more of a test though than the current odds suggest IMO. Elsewhere, agree Spurs are far toooo short at home to what is likely to be a dogged hard working Shamrock side. Don't expect Spurs to play anywhere near a first eleven, with the kids making up the core of the side. Shamrock are probably the weakest side in the Europa League this year, so I don't think Harry Redknapp will risk any of the first team. Agree about Udinese too. I don't expect Celtic to do too well in the Europe, and Udinese are a very threatening side. I think the days of Celtic pulling off huge results at home versus some of the top sides Europe has to offer are long gone. They might have some decent players, but in recent years their squad has been downgraded, and we're now talking about Gary Hooper (no disrespect meant) being the main man. Says it all really.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September I've gone with : Odense v Fulham DRAW @ 3.40 Not at all convinced by Fulham under Jol yet which suprises me as i thought he'd do a decent job, of course it's early days. Just looks like a bore draw to me with Fulham content with a point. Maribor v Brum HOME WIN @ 2.25 Don't know much about Maribor but i know Brum are shite these days and that's enough for me to oppose them at the odds going. Stoke v Besiktas HOME WIN @ 1.90 Hesitated over this but Britannia on autumn night, just what the local working class want round these parts. The turks often greet the opposition with 'welcome to hell' banners well wait til they turn up at Stoke against 11 6fters breaking their legs (almost). In seriousness, after the Kiev performance i can't see Stoke taking this lightly and as we all know they can match anyone at home. Maybe they might be caught out with nerves/pressure but in reality the odds are generous for a still very under rated stoke side.

Maccabi Tel Aviv interest me on some form of handicap initially. Unless I'm mistaken they've only been beaten by Bayern Munich at home 1-0 during the last ten years of competitive European fixtures. Obviously' date=' these things need to be taken into context as there have been some decent results, but there have also been some results versus mediocre opposition. There's also some gaps where they haven't qualified.[/quote'] Good point on Maccabi Tel Aviv. Just had a look at some stats. They have won their last 6 home games in Europe, scoring 19 goals and conceding 4. Dynamo Kiev have won 4 of their last 6 away games in Europe, and lost one and drawn one, scoring 12 goals and conceding 5. http://www.soccerway.com/teams/israel/maccabi-tel-aviv-fc/ Kiev have had a very good start to their season, having won 8 and drawn 3, so I think the odds may be about right for this game - http://www.soccerway.com/national/ukraine/premier-league/2011-2012/regular-season/

I've gone with : Odense v Fulham DRAW @ 3.40 Not at all convinced by Fulham under Jol yet which suprises me as i thought he'd do a decent job, of course it's early days. Just looks like a bore draw to me with Fulham content with a point.
I saw some of Odense's Danish Superliga game on Saturday when they lost at home to Midtylland. They looked very poor, and the crowd were booing Uttaka, their star forward. I've got a feeling Fulham or low goals would be some value here. OB have lost their last 3 games, and they are in the bottom half of their league - that's probably why the crowd is getting restless - http://www.soccerway.com/national/denmark/superligaen/2011-2012/regular-season/

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September I think unders is the call for the Spurs game. I reckon we will play a mixture of kids and squad players, possibly with a couple of bigger names on the bench. We have played our kids/squad players three times so far this season, each time it has finished 0-0! The problem is that we have been resting Adebayor and Defoe for this games, and Van der Vaart is not even in our European squad (IMO because he is not fit enough to play two games in a week). This means we have Pav on his own up front and he looks disinterested in these games (he can be ineffectual even when he is interested, tbh). Shamrock Rovers will look to get men behind the ball, and sneak a historic draw. Unders is 2.88 with Coral.

Stoke v Besiktas HOME WIN @ 1.90 Hesitated over this but Britannia on autumn night, just what the local working class want round these parts. The turks often greet the opposition with 'welcome to hell' banners well wait til they turn up at Stoke against 11 6fters breaking their legs (almost). In seriousness, after the Kiev performance i can't see Stoke taking this lightly and as we all know they can match anyone at home.
I had Besiktas in a reasonably high stakes double on Sunday and they were very lucky to win, played an extremely high defensive line and God only knows how they didn't concede, looked very dodgy to me defensively, keeper looked solid though. Attacking wise, Simao looked the only player with any quality, I'm waiting for likely team news from Stoke but would not hesitate to back them based on what I saw.

I think unders is the call for the Spurs game. I reckon we will play a mixture of kids and squad players' date=' possibly with a couple of bigger names on the bench. We have played our kids/squad players three times so far this season, each time it has finished 0-0! The problem is that we have been resting Adebayor and Defoe for this games, and Van der Vaart is not even in our European squad (IMO because he is not fit enough to play two games in a week). This means we have Pav on his own up front and he looks disinterested in these games (he can be ineffectual even when he is interested, tbh). Shamrock Rovers will look to get men behind the ball, and sneak a historic draw. Unders is [b']2.88 with Coral.
Actually that looks like great value :ok - I've noticed when Shamrock Rovers play in Europe it's often unders. Shamrock Rovers last five away games in the Champions League and Europa League - Champions League Flora 0 Shamrock 0 Copenhagen 1 Shamrock 0 Europa League Bnei Yehuda 0 Shamrock 1 Juventus 1 Shamrock 0 Partizan 1 Shamrock 1 http://www.soccerway.com/teams/ireland-republic/shamrock-rovers-football-club/ Not a lot of goals there. I think they like to set things out defensively, and are obviously quite successful at it.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Rubin Kazan (-0.5; -1) @ 1.75 I am all over this game. I think its not a news that Rubin is one of those teams who takes European games seriously, so motivation is high as usual. Sometimes it's not so much about Premier league as much as about European games. In the last 13 european games at home they have lost only once and won 8 games, drawing 4. This shows how hard is actually to play at Rubins stadium for european teams. In the first game they beated Shamrock pretty easily - 3-0. I watched that game and to be honest the result could have been even 4-1 or 5-1, because Rubin and Shamrock both didn't scored penalty and Rubin also missed some other good chances. Watched the review of PAOK against Tottenham and as experts stated, this was one of the most boring matches for a while,.... PAOK created some 2-3 good goalscoring chances of the whole game and that was against Tottenham who was playing with B squad and had no intentions for European league whatsoever. As for this game, PAOK left two important middlefielders - D. Salpingidis and P. García - at home because of the Sunday's big clash against Olympiakos. So it's quite questionable how important for them is this UEL game. Imo if they will conceed early then I don't see them fighting back and will probably safe their best players for the Sundays game. High stakes for Rubin for me.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Hitting this one early as my instinct says the market will move with the Italians... Celtic v Udinese: Udinese (0AH) @ 1.833 with Pinnacle (5/10) Have to agree with much that has already been said about Celtic. I don't see them as being anywhere near equipped to compete at this level and reckon they could be in for a very hard night on Thursday. That they kept a clean sheet v Inverness Caley on Saturday was a minor miracle. The defending, in particular from Majstorovic and Loovens, aspired to be amateurish. If they're even as half as charitable with a striker of the ilk of Di Natale around, the only reason he won't score will be that he's too busy pissing himself laughing. Celtic have a big problem tactically - and they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. They're at their best in an attacking 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, playing open, expansive football. Do that on Thursday, and they'll be punished by a better team. Revert to a 4-5-1, then they'll invite pressure, and they simply haven't been able to get to grips with that system under Neil Lennon. I won't pretend to be an expert on Udinese, but I saw bits of them v Arsenal and they looked well equipped to dismantle a Celtic side that's a million miles away from the one that reached the final of this competition in 2003. Good luck if you play :ok

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Just a little Udinese team news; No Di Natalie, Domizzi or Torje (not in the Europa league squad anyway) in the squad. Di Natalie and Torje have been the prefered front two for Udinese so far this season and Domizzi is one of the first choice defenders. They may be able to cover Domizzi's absence ok, especially with not much threat in Celtic's attack. I would guess that Fabbrini will play up front on his own and they will replace Torje with a midfielder and go for a more straigthforward 3-5-1 (its normally a 3-4-1-1). From what Sprit of 67 said Celtic best players are the midfielders and with Udinese likely to pack that area of the park can see these two cancelling each other out, with a draw and unders likely. Yet to decide what bet's i'll be taking on Thursday but these are on the shortlist.

Actually that looks like great value :ok - I've noticed when Shamrock Rovers play in Europe it's often unders. Shamrock Rovers last five away games in the Champions League and Europa League - Champions League Flora 0 Shamrock 0 Copenhagen 1 Shamrock 0 Europa League Bnei Yehuda 0 Shamrock 1 Juventus 1 Shamrock 0 Partizan 1 Shamrock 1 http://www.soccerway.com/teams/ireland-republic/shamrock-rovers-football-club/ Not a lot of goals there. I think they like to set things out defensively, and are obviously quite successful at it.
Agree with most of this. However the bet I am considering is time of the first goal. It is set at 20 mins with Paddy Power. Think I would rather be on that than unders, incase Rovers open up if they go one down.

Europa League - 29th September 2011. Celtic vs. Udinese. Celtic are poor in Europe, there's no doubt about that, and are only still in the Europe League because FC Sion were kicked out. Unfortunately for Celtic, they got a very tough group featuring Atletico Madrid and Udinese. Udinese are unlucky to be in the Europa League - they were unfortunate to draw Arsenal in the Champions League qualifiers and probably should have beat them. Udinese are a class above Celtic and have started well in the Serie A. Celtic, on the other hand, are sitting four points behind Rangers in what is a two-team league. Celtic have lost their last two games against decent opposition - 2-0 against Atletico Madrid, and 4-2 against Rangers. Udinese certainly have the quality to exploit Celtic's weakness in defence, as they did against Arsenal. I am also not impressed with Celtic's goalkeeper and feel their is a lack of trust and communication between him and the back four. However, Di Natalie, Domizzi, and Torje will not feature for Udinese, so I'm hesitant on backing them outright. I am quite happy to take them on the DNB line @1.90 with Paddy Power. Udinese DNB @1.90. Paddy Power.

Agree with most of this. However the bet I am considering is time of the first goal. It is set at 20 mins with Paddy Power. Think I would rather be on that than unders' date=' incase Rovers open up if they go one down.[/quote'] The more I think I about it, the more I think there is very good value on unders in the Tottenham v Shamrock Rovers game. By all accounts, Spurs aren't particularly interested in the Europa League, and play their B squad. They thrashed Hearts 5-0 away, but then drew the return 0-0 at home, and drew 0-0 away to PAOK - http://www.soccerway.com/teams/england/tottenham-hotspur-football-club/ Added to a defensive Shamrock Rovers all of whose EL and CL games have been under 2.5 (see my earlier post above) - and I can see no reason why this isn't excellent value - can anyone else?

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Just looking through the prices and see Club Bruges @7.5 with VC to win in Braga. They are as short as 5.0 elsewhere. Looks huge to me. Just a quick look at their away form in this last season. In a very dissapointing campaign which yeilded 3 pts from their 6 group games, they got a 1-1 at PAOK, 0-0 at Dinamo Zagreb, and went down 2-1 to Villareal, but played with ten men from the 26th min when Vargas was sent off. I often struggle with rating Belgian teams in Europe, but 7.5 is BIG!! Any of our Belgian friends got a view on this game.

Just looking through the prices and see Club Bruges @7.5 with VC to win in Braga. They are as short as 5.0 elsewhere. Looks huge to me. Just a quick look at their away form in this last season. In a very dissapointing campaign which yeilded 3 pts from their 6 group games, they got a 1-1 at PAOK, 0-0 at Dinamo Zagreb, and went down 2-1 to Villareal, but played with ten men from the 26th min when Vargas was sent off. I often struggle with rating Belgian teams in Europe, but 7.5 is BIG!! Any of our Belgian friends got a view on this game.
Not an expert, but Club Brugge lose more than they win away in Europe. Braga have a good home record and win more than they lose. I would be cautious about backing Brugge. http://www.soccerway.com/teams/belgium/club-brugge-kv/

Not an expert, but Club Brugge lose more than they win away in Europe. Braga have a good home record and win more than they lose. I would be cautious about backing Brugge. http://www.soccerway.com/teams/belgium/club-brugge-kv/
Thanks MPLouis. Yeah I know they are a bit iffy on the road, but I think they are a better team this season than last. And not sure Braga are as good as last season - they were held 0-0 at home by Swiss side Young Boys, and only went through on away goals after a 2-2 in Bern. True they outclassed Birmingham, but that was well expected. 7.5 is a big price, would they win more than 13.33% of the time?? I already have exposure as have a medium antepost stake on Bruges to qualify, so may not play. Just think it is a big price, Bruges are no mugs imo.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Hello all after a long time :) I will be very short... If Besiktas gets smtg from Stoke, it will honestly be a suprise for me... A team can not change in such a short time and lately Besiktas winning it's local games only by chance... Even at home against Antalyaspor in their mast game, angels of football saved them from losing points... Its a correct bet to place money on Stoke at the moment... Even (-1) should be thought... Good Luck :)

The more I think I about it, the more I think there is very good value on unders in the Tottenham v Shamrock Rovers game. By all accounts, Spurs aren't particularly interested in the Europa League, and play their B squad. They thrashed Hearts 5-0 away, but then drew the return 0-0 at home, and drew 0-0 away to PAOK - http://www.soccerway.com/teams/england/tottenham-hotspur-football-club/ Added to a defensive Shamrock Rovers all of whose EL and CL games have been under 2.5 (see my earlier post above) - and I can see no reason why this isn't excellent value - can anyone else?
Just to point out that the 5-0 win at Hearts was with a full-strength team. This backs up your bet further.

Re: UEFA Europa League > 29 September Be carefull about Udinese, they travel to Glasgow whitout many key players, star striker Antonio Di Natale, Romanian talent Gabriel Torje, defender Maurizio Domizzi....forwards Antonio Floro Flores and Barreto are out injured, meaning Guidolin is likely to press youngster Diego Fabbrini into service as a striker (the other striker available is the inexperienced Davide Marsura > 1994). Celtic is a huge value here (IMAO), odds sure drops again...