UEFA Champions League 26/27 July

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July

I agree with this to a point, I don't watch a huge amount of Eredivisie but I have watched Twente a fair bit and they often struggle to break down defensive sides. They have largely come unstuck when playing teams of quality although they held their own in a tough CL group last year, obviously playing the match away from their stadium is a negative and personally I wouldn't back them to beat handicaps etc. I do think there is value on Twente to win to nil which looks a bit overpriced to me at 2.2 (coral), they are pretty strong defensively and don't concede many against the weaker sides in the Eredivisie, think the bookies have been swayed by the goalfests they were involved in at the group stages last year but they are not playing a side of the quality of Werder, Spurs or Inter here and even then 3 of their 6 games were under 2.5. I note the comment above about Twente now having a more offensive coach but they were hardly defensive before were they? As you say Vaslui are likely to be defensive, it makes sense they are massive underdogs, and while you would expect Twente to break through I don't think they will run up a cricket score it's difficult when you are still in pre season against a side of half decent quality, when you consider their missing players and the fact they are not playing at their home ground I think the under 2.5 has a bit of value but I prefer the better price for Twente to win to nil. Twente to Win to Nil - 2.2 - Coral - 2 points
I decided to follow you on this and it was an excellent call.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, didn't lose anything, but it goes to show you that you need a bit of luck....The four draws started well with 0-0 in Lithuania. Litex Lovech scored in the 80th minute to draw the match but the goal was disallowed. Then Genk scores in the final seconds to kill the draw.....:@. Finally, Rangers had about 70 minutes to draw the game and couldn't get it......:\ On to Wenesday's matches then.....
that's a shame indeed Betting on draws is always risky business of course (a goal can happen anytime). More luck next time :ok I on the other hand was full of joy when Genk made the 2-1, as it completed a double for me (needed >2.5). Lost 2 bets today, won 1: slight loss this evening, too bad. Thanks to Ogunjimi I managed to limit the losses.

They started off last season like an express train and murdered sides at home, they were very impressive, the new additions should only strengthen them, expect a fluid attacking side that create numerous attacking openings. They are a side I very much like the look of.
I don't think you're referring to last season Hastgill, but rather two seasons ago. Benfica had a very poor start last year, losing out to Porto in the Portuguese Super Cup, then conceding 3 losses in the first 6 matches if memory serves me right to all but ruin their title ambitions altogether. I wouldn't touch Benfica with a bargepole at these prices. I would be happy to take Trabzonsport +0-5 if I knew a little more about them which unfortunately I don't. But I know enough about Benfica, they're been having a relatively poor pre season showing, their captain Luisão has only just arrived from Copa América saying he wants to go, Maxi Pereira due to arrive tonight and scheduled to start tomorrow (!)... Fábio Coentrão is gone and these are too many defensive problems in my eyes. Of course they are strong at home but going with them at 1.3 on kind of form? Stay away from Benfica is my advice.

Well, didn't lose anything, but it goes to show you that you need a bit of luck....The four draws started well with 0-0 in Lithuania. Litex Lovech scored in the 80th minute to draw the match but the goal was disallowed. Then Genk scores in the final seconds to kill the draw.....:@. Finally, Rangers had about 70 minutes to draw the game and couldn't get it......:\ On to Wenesday's matches then.....
Wached Litex, Rangers and Partizan. Really unlucky here, Genk shocked scoring late goal. Rangers was disappointing, especially Naismith who had two misses from 6 yard box in couple of minuts. Despite 3 misses, good picks mate. You just needed that bit of luck.

I don't think you're referring to last season Hastgill' date= but rather two seasons ago. Benfica had a very poor start last year, losing out to Porto in the Portuguese Super Cup, then conceding 3 losses in the first 6 matches if memory serves me right to all but ruin their title ambitions altogether. I wouldn't touch Benfica with a bargepole at these prices. I would be happy to take Trabzonsport +0-5 if I knew a little more about them which unfortunately I don't. But I know enough about Benfica, they're been having a relatively poor pre season showing, their captain Luisão has only just arrived from Copa América saying he wants to go, Maxi Pereira due to arrive tonight and scheduled to start tomorrow (!)... Fábio Coentrão is gone and these are too many defensive problems in my eyes. Of course they are strong at home but going with them at 1.3 on kind of form? Stay away from Benfica is my advice.
Lol, I was referring to last season actually..;) Although admittedly you are right about the first few games, I was perhaps looking a bit broader than the first 5 games so so. I respect your opinion because you are from Portugal and know more about the domestic league, and the sides in it than I do, you are right about the very start of the season they did lose a few but to be fair they won 26 out of their first 35 games of the season in all comps which is pretty decent I would say. I will still say the signings they have made this summer are very impressive..
Benfica have been very active in the transfer market this summer, lost Coentrao to Real Madrid but the Euro30m they picked up has been well invested, Nolito arrived on a free from Barcalona and could be a very good bit of business, tricky little player who will probably line up on the attacking left side, able to cut in and has quick feet and an eye for goal. He turned down Barca's offer of a contract and chose Benfica for the chance of first team football, he could be a star of the team this year.. Capdevilia has also arrived from Villareal, Garay from Real Madrid and Axel Witsel from Anderlecht who starred in their midfield alongside Defour, a busy summer for them as they try and keep pace with Porto. Cardozo hasn't been performing that well for Paraguay so wasn't selected for the Copa America which is a good thing for Benfica as he will be fresh, the side has plenty of flair and attacking threat.
Most times when I watched them at home last season I was impressed with the way they moved the ball through midfield and up to the attackers. They do have defensive problems I agree, which is why I have backed over 3 goals at 2.5 with an equal stake to what I have backed Benfica with, I would say there is a good possibility of a 2-1 or 3-1 scoreline, if its 1-0 or 2-0 or something I will take it on the chin, for me the reasoning behind the bet is solid enough, maybe its too early in the season to expect the new signings to gel but they have enough quality and this is a huge game for them, it's never easy going to Turkey and I don't think Turkish sides have been too strong away in recent years in Europe, they are certainly regarded as stronger at home, so to take a home advantage over there is essential..thanks for your opinion though.

Good call Otium
Thanks pal. Got a bit of 10/1 as well and a good night as i had other results in. Sorry about the Valletta call last week but they were another 10/1 shot who were actually unlucky. I mostly back draws but if a price is too big..... I will post up about Vaduz tomoz. Another big price this week who won money for me last week. I love these games where the bookies struggle, the edge is in the work and knowledge. Are Rangers 20 times better than Malmo? Thats what the match odds difference was, 1/2 or 10/1.

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July For Wednesday's CL Qualifying (3rd round) I'm going to tip 2 home wins that have good odds. Helsinki - Dinamo Zagreb: Helsinki @ 2.89 (Pinnacle) 10/10 A few considerations lead to this bet. First, Helsinki has a higher level of match readiness given that the Finnish league is well underway and in its 17th round of matches whereas the Croatian league played its first round just last weekend. Helsinki has a comfortable 9 point lead and has complete focus on its CL involvement. Zagreb won its first match but this doesn't speak any volumes about its readiness. Second, Helsinki has an artificial grass pitch which it is familiar with and Zagreb isn't. I believe an artificial pitch makes the play faster and this may spoil any plans the guests may have about playing a tight match with the aim of getting a draw. Third, Helsinki has shown itself to be a scoring machine. This, when combined with its greater readiness and the artificial pitch may cause a lot of problems for Zagreb's defense. In the end, the odds are just too high for a home win for a team that is in good form that also benefits from a pitch that is unknown to the opponents. Odense - Panathinaikos: Odense @ 2.39 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Odense should have better match readiness than Panathinaikos. Odense has played 2 league matches to Panathinaikos' none and have started the season well with a win at home (2-0 against Nordsjaellan) and an away draw (2-2 against perenial Danish powerhouse Copenhagen). Panathinaikos hasn't added any significant players to its roster and has lost its two highest profile players (Cisse and Silva). This was evident in the guests' friendlies where they failed to impress especially in offense including 0-0 draws against Sivaspor and Atromitos (weak Turkish and Greek teams respectively) and a 2-1 loss to Cologne. The odds for the home win are pretty good given the readiness of the teams and may trickle lower.

For Wednesday's CL Qualifying (3rd round) I'm going to tip 2 home wins that have good odds. Helsinki - Dinamo Zagreb: Helsinki @ 2.89 (Pinnacle) 10/10 A few considerations lead to this bet. First, Helsinki has a higher level of match readiness given that the Finnish league is well underway and in its 17th round of matches whereas the Croatian league played its first round just last weekend. Helsinki has a comfortable 9 point lead and has complete focus on its CL involvement. Zagreb won its first match but this doesn't speak any volumes about its readiness. Second, Helsinki has an artificial grass pitch which it is familiar with and Zagreb isn't. I believe an artificial pitch makes the play faster and this may spoil any plans the guests may have about playing a tight match with the aim of getting a draw. Third, Helsinki has shown itself to be a scoring machine. This, when combined with its greater readiness and the artificial pitch may cause a lot of problems for Zagreb's defense. In the end, the odds are just too high for a home win for a team that is in good form that also benefits from a pitch that is unknown to the opponents. Odense - Panathinaikos: Odense @ 2.39 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Odense should have better match readiness than Panathinaikos. Odense has played 2 league matches to Panathinaikos' none and have started the season well with a win at home (2-0 against Nordsjaellan) and an away draw (2-2 against perenial Danish powerhouse Copenhagen). Panathinaikos hasn't added any significant players to its roster and has lost its two highest profile players (Cisse and Silva). This was evident in the guests' friendlies where they failed to impress especially in offense including 0-0 draws against Sivaspor and Atromitos (weak Turkish and Greek teams respectively) and a 2-1 loss to Cologne. The odds for the home win are pretty good given the readiness of the teams and may trickle lower.
I gre on Helsinki.i like it so much I might go full stakes on the DRaw NO Bet option. Im not sure about Odense, greek clubs are very good in Europe and i just dont trust Danish teams. Does anyone feel the attacks in Norway could galvanise Rosenborg along with aelesunds and valarenga who play in Europa on Thursday to give mighty performances?

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July Standard-FC Zurich line ups: Standard: Bolat, Opare, Kanu, Felipe, Pocognoli, Goreux, Camara, Buyens, Van Damme, Nong, Tchité FC Zürich: Leoni, P.Koch, Béda, Rodriguez, Magnin, Margairaz, Aegerter, Mehmedi, Schönbächler, Alphonse, Djuric Mangala (Standard) is injured. The question is Steven Defour will play because he wants to leave Standard.

I gre on Helsinki.i like it so much I might go full stakes on the DRaw NO Bet option. Im not sure about Odense, greek clubs are very good in Europe and i just dont trust Danish teams. Does anyone feel the attacks in Norway could galvanise Rosenborg along with aelesunds and valarenga who play in Europa on Thursday to give mighty performances?
Greek clubs are okay in Europe, but they haven't registered any serious distinction in European cups for a while....although Panathinaikos seems to do best when they are underdogs...but they just don't seem very prepared at the moment. The teams from Norway may be galvanised but they also may be seriously affected in a negative way by the recent tragedy. So, its probably not a good variable to consider since it could go either way or just not have any bearing at all. In fact, it might be a reason to just stay away from the matches that involve Norwegian teams.

Standard-FC Zurich line ups: Standard: Bolat, Opare, Kanu, Felipe, Pocognoli, Goreux, Camara, Buyens, Van Damme, Nong, Tchité FC Zürich: Leoni, P.Koch, Béda, Rodriguez, Magnin, Margairaz, Aegerter, Mehmedi, Schönbächler, Alphonse, Djuric Mangala (Standard) is injured. The question is Steven Defour will play because he wants to leave Standard.
True, Defour wants to leave and playing Champions League would mean he can't play Champions League for his new team I guess.. So we'll see I got a lot of questions with Standard. They are not that great and Riga is a terrible coach if you ask me... I think this could be a dark season for Standard. I don't know how strong Zurich is but in Belgian Super Cup Standard played awfull! even with a man more on the field!

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July Riga isn't a terrible coach, just not suitable for a club like Standard I think. Also, I'm not impressed by the transfers Standard made so far. Henkinet, Belhocine, Buyens (he's really not THAT good. His workforce is superb, but football qualities rather limited). If he's the one who should replace Defour I have my doubts ;) Standard should be very happy if they reach playoff1 this year. I don't really know much about FC Zurich. I guess they will want to keep things tight and we won't see lot of goals this evening. I guess 0-0 or 1-1.

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July HJK Helsinki - Dinamo Zagreb under 2.5 @ 1.70 centrebet Helsinki cruised through the last round where they won 3-0 away to Bangor and then smashed them 10-0 at home. Dinamo will be a much tougher game for them, as they too were good defensively where they won 3-0 at home to Neftchi Baku and then drew 0-0 away in the second leg. Expect Dinamo to play it very tight at the back and not do much when going forward like they did in Baku. Helsinski will tak the game to them as they will look to press the advantage they have playing at home and on artificial grass, but Dinamo is tactically smart enough to keep it tight at the back and not let much through. Can see this being a low scoring game with Dinamo confident enough that they can win it at home in the second leg. Maccabi Haifa - Maribor over 2.5 @ 1.94 pinnacle Maccabi won 5-1 at home to Borac Banka Luka but then lost 3-2 to them in the second leg, so while they were good going foreard, they had their problems in defence. Maribor will like their chances of scoring on them as they won 2-0 at home to Dudelange and then won the second leg 3-1. They have won both of their games in the Slovenian league 2-1 so their games have been going over. Also Maccabi will have hot dry conditions to suit their game, and can see them scoring at home as well, as their attack is their strength. Doubt that the goals will end their and can see at least another goal being scored by either side Benfica -1.5 @ 2.04 pinnacle Benfica reached the semi finals of the Europa League last year and generally are a very good side and have made some good signings which have bolstered their squad. They have some creativity and attacking ability in Aimar, Cardozo and Saviola and like them to cause Trabzonspor plenty of problems - they are, on paper, the better side, and they will be looking to take a good lead going into the second leg in Turkey, which can be a tough place to go to in order to win a game if they do not do it here

Sport Football (Champions League)
Event Benfica - Trabzonspor
Selection Benfica(-1.5)AH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 27/07/2011
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.10
Reasoning Trabzonspor is a different team from last season. Many first team players left like Jaja or Cale. In their place came a bunch of mediocre players, and their results in summer friendlies have been rather dissapointing. Benfica is a top team in Portugal. A team loved by many, and with a full stadiume expected here. They have a lot of quality in their side, and are always entertaining at home. They made it to the semi-finals of the Europa League last season, and I can't see them bumping into Trabzonspor here. Should be an easy home win with handicap covered.

FC København -v- Shamrock Rovers Shamrock Rovers showed over the two legs -v- Flora Tallinn that they are a very very tight team, as they won 1-0 on aggregate, and drew 0-0 away in Tallinn. Tonight they are up against a much better team than Tallinn, but whom have only begun their season. I believe Shamrock Rovers will play for the draw, and try as best they can to grab an away goal from set pieces. But they'll most likely play a 4-5-1 formation and work hard to hold onto a 0-0 for the 90 minutes. Shamrock Rovers have only once conceded twice in the league this year, otherwise conceding once or not at all. They also are struggling for goals, but realistically they aren't going to score tonight. I would recommend two bets tonight: Under 2.5 goals @ 2.46 odds on Betfair and Shamrock Rovers +2.0 AH @ 1.8 odds on Betfair. I've made four predictions on this forum so far during the European campaign for Irish teams, and all four have been right. Tonight I am confident both the tips above will pay off again.

FC København -v- Shamrock Rovers Shamrock Rovers showed over the two legs -v- Flora Tallinn that they are a very very tight team, as they won 1-0 on aggregate, and drew 0-0 away in Tallinn. Tonight they are up against a much better team than Tallinn, but whom have only begun their season. I believe Shamrock Rovers will play for the draw, and try as best they can to grab an away goal from set pieces. But they'll most likely play a 4-5-1 formation and work hard to hold onto a 0-0 for the 90 minutes. Shamrock Rovers have only once conceded twice in the league this year, otherwise conceding once or not at all. They also are struggling for goals, but realistically they aren't going to score tonight. I would recommend two bets tonight: Under 2.5 goals @ 2.46 odds on Betfair and Shamrock Rovers +2.0 AH @ 1.8 odds on Betfair. I've made four predictions on this forum so far during the European campaign for Irish teams, and all four have been right. Tonight I am confident both the tips above will pay off again.

Easy tiger, setting yourself up for a fall! :lol..looks a good call to me on paper, Copenhagen have undergone wholesale changes over the summer, key players have left for better teams in Italy and Germany, Coventry old boy Nilsson is now in charge but with the wholesale changes it doesn't look likely to me that they will run up too much of a score.. Goalkeeper Alan Mannus has now left stepping up to play for St Johnstone in Scotland, replacing him is inexperienced Jamaican keeper Ryan Thompson, who has played one competitive game which would be a significant concern for me as he has done nothing of note during his career, key midfielder Chris Turner is also suspended. Think Copenhagen are a daft price, they will probably win to nil, just depends how long Shamrock can hold them out, and that will probably if your bets win! Good luck..

Goalkeeper Alan Mannus has now left stepping up to play for St Johnstone in Scotland' date=' replacing him is inexperienced Jamaican keeper Ryan Thompson, who has played one competitive game which would be a significant concern for me as he has done nothing of note during his career, key midfielder Chris Turner is also suspended. [/quote'] The loss of Mannus is without a doubt the biggest weakness in the Shamrock Rovers team. However, Ryan Thompson has actually played three cup games as well as the one league game he has played. Plus, he's been at the club a year now too, so I don't think it's as big an issue as you present. Chris Turner's suspension is definitely another issue, but Stephen Rice is an able replacement, who is a first team regular for Shamrock Rovers and who missed the last two games -v- Tallinn.

Re: UEFA Champions League - 26/27 July

Second match i'm intrested in is: HJK v Zagreb i really don't know why zagreb are favorite here.Zagreb is weak in last few years.last year i think they couldn't even go through Sheriff.Helsinki banging goals for fun at home and @2.90 is a massive value.Zagreb are ver weak away and i just don't see them winning. I took Helsinki +0.5AH @1.53 bet365 with large stake
HJK Helsinki 1 Din Zagreb 2 I saw a lot of this game, which I thought was deservedly won by Dinamo Zagreb. They played a bit better overall and had extra skill which made the difference. Helsinki were fast and strong in the air but couldn't quite match Zagreb overall.

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July Standard: 38 Bolat 4 Opare 5 Felipe 25 Kanu 15 Pocognoli 17 Buyens 80 Camara 99 Leye 37 Van Damme 13 Nong 10 Tchité Without Defour,Witsel and Carcela there isn't a lot of creativity. The played verry poor in the supercup against Genk. It will be a poor game with not many goals. My picks Lay Standard @ 2.06 (6,5/10) Standard under 2.5 @ 1.917 (6/10) GL :hope

Re: UEFA Champions League - 26/27 July

.My pick is Dinamo not to lose larger stake' date='and Dinamo to win medium stake.[/quote'] 1-2:ok Didn't post odds cause I placed this bets today in local bookie who usually have a bit higher odds on matchday,make that 1,55 and 2,80 for the win. Actually we played somewhat bad and still got the job done,says a lot.Credits to Helsinki though,could have got a draw,thankfully didn't,but good effort.

you're definitely on a roll :) that's 6/6 Kopenhagen - Shamrock 1-0 I took one bet of the 2 (u-2.5). I was cursing when Kopenhagen made the 1-0 after 4 mins of playing, but it stayed that way

FC København -v- Shamrock Rovers

Shamrock Rovers showed over the two legs -v- Flora Tallinn that they are a very very tight team, as they won 1-0 on aggregate, and drew 0-0 away in Tallinn.

Tonight they are up against a much better team than Tallinn, but whom have only begun their season. I believe Shamrock Rovers will play for the draw, and try as best they can to grab an away goal from set pieces. But they'll most likely play a 4-5-1 formation and work hard to hold onto a 0-0 for the 90 minutes.

Shamrock Rovers have only once conceded twice in the league this year, otherwise conceding once or not at all. They also are struggling for goals, but realistically they aren't going to score tonight.

I would recommend two bets tonight:

Under 2.5 goals @ 2.46 odds on Betfair and Shamrock Rovers +2.0 AH @ 1.8 odds on Betfair.

I've made four predictions on this forum so far during the European campaign for Irish teams, and all four have been right. Tonight I am confident both the tips above will pay off again.

i wasen't brave enough to follow you on this but still credit due....great work my friend...just wish you could do picks like this will all football leagues:cheers

:ok:ok FC Copenhagen 1 Shamrock Rovers 0 I saw a lot of this game. The second half was dominated by Shamrock Rovers who had several good chances but couldn't score. In the last 10 minutes, Copenhagen pushed forward looking for a second goal. Perhaps Copenhagen's extra skill and experience made the difference on the night and just about justified their narrow win.

Standard: 38 Bolat 4 Opare 5 Felipe 25 Kanu 15 Pocognoli 17 Buyens 80 Camara 99 Leye 37 Van Damme 13 Nong 10 Tchité Without Defour,Witsel and Carcela there isn't a lot of creativity. The played verry poor in the supercup against Genk. It will be a poor game with not many goals. My picks Lay Standard @ 2.06 (6,5/10) :ok Standard under 2.5 @ 1.917 (6/10) :ok GL :hope
1-1 FT :nana Standard was better then Zurich in 2nd half but they didn't score their chances :D

Re: UEFA Champions League 26/27 July Good call BelgianPunter. I didn't follow your advice this time, as I had bets tied up in the Shamrock Rovers and Benfica games, and didn't want to over-extend myself tonight. But if you provide analysis for next week, I'll be more than interested to follow! Also, well done to everybody who took my advice tonight in the Shamrock Rovers game. I don't profess to be an expert, but I know how these Irish teams perform, as I follow the Irish league weekly. :ok