BBOTD 21st May

15.00 Haydock Overdose - 1pt win @ 2/1 >Bet365 its exciting to see the "Budapest Bullet" Overdose the top Hungarian sprinter who has only lost once here come to the UK for hes first race it will be hes toughest test yet but if hes really on it today he will blitz the field apart like he did abroad and will be no surprise to see him do that here

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3.00 Haydock Sole Power 12/1 William Hill Looked back to form last time out and could run a massive race here. This horse was a shock winner of the Nunthorpe at 100/1 last year and I fully believe he can win this. I think the race will be run to suit if the jockey chooses to hold the horse up which he did when winning the Nunthorpe. There are plenty of front runners in this race which should set it up for something coming from off the pace. The likes of Rose Blossom, Markab, Tangerine Trees, Overdose and a couple of others could all help set a quick pace. This should play in to the hands of my selection. He showed when winning the Nunthorpe that he is capable of running very quick and he also broke the track record at Dundalk (which would not have taken much). Overdose looks too short for this race on his first outing in the UK. He may well look a great 2/1 shot come the end of the race but there are too many if's regarding this horse so I think he is one to watch. One of the strongest trends of this race is that you must have won in your last 4 starts which removes Rose Blossom, Prohibit, Kingsgate Native, Group Therapy and Hamish Mcgonagall. There has only been one 8 year old winner of this race dating back to at least the 1980's so I am happy to remove both Markab and Borderlescott. Of the four remaining I am happy to remove the 2 3 year olds in New Planet and Stone of Folca which leaves just 2. Tangerine Trees is improving at a rate of knotts but I feel he will be one to help force a fast pace which will hopefully set it up for the other horse we are left with in Sole Power. I think Sole Power can prove that his Nunthorpe win was not a fluke by taking this today. He is drawn in between Rose Blossom and Overdose so should be able to sit in behind them 2 and hopefully pick them off towards the finish. He is still young and there could be more improvement to come from him. A return to the tactics that brought him that shock group 1 win should see him go close here. On his 2 outings since that win, he has raced up with pace which hasn't suited. He has plenty of group entries this season, so they will be hoping for a big run from the horse today.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 2.45 Goodwood - Harlestone Times 11/4 Paddypower 1pt win Struggling to choose between the above and Overdose as my BBOTD. Would love to see Overdose win but its his 1st time in the UK and the qulaity of opposition is probably the best he has faced. The selection however seems a decent prospect who is improving and a won over distance, course and on the going. Beachfire seems the biggest threat. Lets hope my poor run comes to an end

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3-40 york -bajan tryst e/way as long as the rain stays away i think this horse as a very good chance here,last term he was only just beaten in the portland off a 4lb lower mark he as a good jockey on top and hes won 1st time out for the last 2 yrs and he could well do so for 3 yrs in a row so he will do e/way for me good luck whatever you bet today

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3:40 Hotham @ York - Course and distance winner that won here twice last year in two hot handicaps.No problem with the ground and is now down to its lowest mark since October 2009 where it won at Pontefract.Can get involved at a huge price if the race pans out the horses way 0.5 pt E/W @ 50/1 William Hill

Re: BBOTD 21st May Prospect Wells 3.10 York 14-1 Boylesports (BOG) (EW) Has to prove it gets the trip but I feel the extra 2f will suit the horse, seemed outpaced at times over shorter but decent seasonal debut last year at Ponty in a listed race so no worries about the break. 6 year old but lots of problems and injuries meaning it has only run 13 times. Has some Group 1 form in the book, behind Vision D'Etat and Montmartre. Gets an 11lb pull with Times Up and probably has Theology to beat but 14-1 looks a big price and now out of handicaps and back off level weights I give it every chance.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3:00 Haydock - Overdose - Back He will either look a brilliant price or way too short depending on his performance here. It is always difficult to translate Central European form literally but any horse that can win 15 from 16 over sprint trips, including Group races, is clearly not one to be messed with. I understand that 2/1 probably doesn't tempt people but I think it could actually proce to be a great bet and if he wins everyone will think to themselves 'god, that was so obvious!'. There is an obvious chance that he may not be at his peak for his first run in the UK. However, many of these are not at the top of their game and Kingsgate Native is likely to need this race as part of his Royal Ascot prep. I hope Overdose does win, it'll give the sprinting division something to get really excited about 1pt win @ William Hill BOG

Re: BBOTD 21st May 16:50 York I was at Newbury when Baptist got in front on debut, it was a taking performance first time up, especially against a few well touted horses. The form of that race over 7f (the trip he encounters today) has worked out fairly well, with the runner up now rated 91 and the 3rd placed horse also winning. He was allotted a handicap mark of 85, but instead went straight to a Group 3, running over a mile at Ascot. He was beaten 10 lengths but it wasn’t a bad performance at all. The ground was soft that day and I don’t think he enjoyed it, and the extra distance at that point in time may have been a little bit too far, too soon. He was raised 5lbs for that run in the ratings, but this may be justified, especially as the form has been franked by Masked Marvel getting in front in taking fashion earlier this week. Baptist finished ahead of that horse, so it was definitely a decent enough race. Today’s contest is much easier. It’s quite wide open looking, with no real favourite in the market, and perhaps Fahey’s is priced on connections. Even so, I think a mark of 90 is well within the range of Baptist, who is well regarded by Andrew Balding. He has a couple of decent chances on the Knavesmire this afternoon, and not surprised Jimmy Fortune has chosen to come here to ride them. It isn’t a race to get too heavily involved with, but I feel that the current price of 7/1 for Baptist is a nice one. I believe if he goes the right way, he’ll be easily a 100+ rated horse, and is probably a few lbs in the front of the handicapper at present. Baptist; Win @ 7/1 Bet365 (bog)

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3:40 York - Mon Brav - 1pt @ 14/1 (Boylesports) Flying for new yard, having landed handicaps off marks of 75 (5f) and 81 (6f) since leaving Declan Carroll to join the in-form Brian Ellison stable. Whilst it would look a tough task to see Mon Brav notch up his hat-trick in a class 2 0-105 handicap, he's clearly in the form of his life and may be capable of defying a mark of 85. He had plenty of outings at 3, 13 in total, but his career best effort was victory in a 5 runner handicap off a mark of 78, so he's already surpassed what he achieved for his former trainer in just 2 runs for his new yard. He's also won over 6f for the first time, and although he now steps back to the bare minimum, the likely good pace should help see him in a good light. The removal of his usual headgear has also contributed to the recent surge in form and Mon Brav no looks a lot more straightforward than previously. It's typical of sprinters to take off and improve rapidly in a short space of time, so hopefully it's more of the same for this lively animal. He's still only 4 years old, so it's not beyond him by any means. Brian Ellison seems to have his stable in fine order of late, with 5 winners (and 5 places) in the past fortnight, from 27 runners. His record at the track isn't great, with just 6% of his 130 runners winning, but he's booked Paul Pickard to ride, and he's 2 from 6 over C&D, with the winners coming 7/1 & 16/1. He takes off a handy 3lbs to leave Mon Brav carrying just 8st 5lbs, in a race that low-weighted runners have done well in the past 10 years (8/10 carried 8st 12lbs or less). 9 of the last 10 winners have been aged 4 or 5, so he also fits into that category, although so do many of the rest. Mon Brav is drawn down the middle in stall 10, which shouldn't pose any worries, and with most of the pace being drawn low, he should be able to get over to keep close enough order on them. There's plenty of potentially good horses lining up, with the likes of Humidor, Doctor Parks and possibly even Taajub looking like they'd be able to get involved. Claims could be made for many more too, possibly the whole field, but Mon Brav is an improved horse and could be capable of defying a 4lb rise despite lining up in a much tougher race. He ran OK over C&D as a 2 year old, but won over C&D last year, so the track holds no fears, although he bombed out on his 2 most recent outings here (has reasonable excuses). I think he'll run a good race and I'll play small each-way stakes again. Hopefully his winning streak won't end here.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3.40 York Masamah 14/1 e/w Corals Masamah ran a cracker on his return to action from the worst stall at Chester. Did well to finish placed that day and there is every chance the horse will come on for that run. He is a CD winner and the stable remain in good form so he must have every chance in what is an extremely competitive event.

Re: BBOTD 21st May Rigolleto - Haydock 2.30 (0.5ew; 22/1 CORAL) Highly tried as a 2YO and made a promising seasonal reappearance behind today's rival Sikeeb. Mick Channon has been improving his older horses 2nd time out, and this one has a good fairly low draw. Obviously lots of good horses in this race, but still a decent punt at 22/1.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3.20 goodwood Forte Dei Marmi ran really well lto but was never going to get near the smart winner. Drops back in trip slightly here and has won here before. With Fallon booked for a stable that is red hot I fancy this one to go very close. 1 Pt win 4/1 Hills

Re: BBOTD 21st May 5.25 york Mica Mika - was impressed with this one on Musidora day there the other week, showed commendable battling qualities when the well handicapped Sud Pacifique came to win the race in the closing stages. As a front runner this track is expected to suit and a bold bid looks on the cards. 3/1 bet 365, 1 pt win

Re: BBOTD 21st May 2:30 Haydock: Mariachi Man 1pt win 16/1 Stan James Mariachi Man had a pipe opener at Ripon when he was well behind Polar Kite. However, if that has knocked some of the freshness out, and he settles better in this big field and with more pace he could go much closer. Last year Mariachi Man's form had a pretty solid look with horses he beat going on to run well. When he won at Newmarket in September Indigo Way was in second and next time out he won, and Indigo Way had won his two previous races too. On his next outing Mariachi Man lost out by a short head to Humdrum who was in a fine run of form. Namibian was back in third and he went on to run well in a big sales race at Newmarket with subsequent 1000 Guineas second Together behind. Throw in a lowish draw and Mariachi Man looks worth an interest.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 345 Curr: Dubawi Gold (5/2 Bet365) The great racing calender shines again with no jump racing on a saturday yet races on the sand at Lingfield and three meetings in the north on the flat? Anyhow, it looks a very tricky Saturday and will side with Dubawi Gold in the Guineas at the Curragh, his price is a bit of value now after being a bit short earlier in the week. He did get trounced at Newmarket by Frankel but at the end of the day he ran up to his best which a lot didnt. His only poor run was in the Racing Post Trophy when he tried to lead, since being held up he has looked a better horse and as long as he settles should be able to pounce late on and take this in the absence of any Irish wonder horses this season.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 2.35 York - Chachamaidee (100/30 Boyles) 1pt Win I think there's more to come from Henry Cecil's filly this season and the fact that connections have kept her training at 4 suggests they think she's capable of winning more races. Decent comeback run in a fillies Group 3 and goes in against the colts today but in my opinion the rest of the field all have questions of one type or another to answer, Awzaan and Palace Moon are both coming back from the back of lay offs and neither ran particularly well when last seen, Kakatosi looks a serious threat with further progression on the cards but it's price is far too short for me on what it's achieved thus far. Wouldn't be suprised to see her set the pace today with the headgear on dropped back to seven furlongs and I think she's well up to winning today.

Re: BBOTD 21st May EVERYMANFORHIMSELF 2.15 Goodwood. 0.5 points each way. Appears a little high in the weights at first glance, but when looking deeper into things, he does have every chance if showing something more like his best. The trip and ground's not a problem and there's plenty of pace to the race, so at the prices would appear a value bet. 20/1 BlueSquare

Re: BBOTD 21st May Bahamian Music 2.55 Chester. 0.5 points each way. A mark of 82 gives him a great chance if getting the run of the race, and with being well drawn in stall 3, I think he'll get a good early position and be involved in the finish. The trip and ground shouldn't bother and so every chance. Bet365 6/1 for comp purposes.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 3.40 York: Taajub 0.5pt e/w @ 20/1 Bet365 BOG On 2yo form this horse is potentially very well in in handicap company from 98. Should come on for seasonal reappearance, ground and trip no problem and could go well at a nice price if recapturing 2yo form.

Re: BBOTD 21st May CURRAGH 3-45...RODERICK O'CONNOR...1PT WIN @ SP -------------------------------------------------------- This horse is very talented, unexplainable run last time out in the 2000gns at Newmarket when tailed off, much better than that. The only GROUP ONE winner in the field albeit on heavy at Saint Cloud. Has Won at the Currach on fast ground when beating MASTER OF HOUNDS, who is a top performer in his own right. Trip, course, ground not a problem, the big danger is DUNBOYNE EXPRESS, I dont think DUBAWI GOLD is a good horse at all. O Brien loves RODERICK O CONNOR (Said it was his best 2yo last year) has put his son up and this can give Joseph his first classic winner.

Re: BBOTD 21st May

3.00 Haydock Sole Power 12/1 William Hill Looked back to form last time out and could run a massive race here. This horse was a shock winner of the Nunthorpe at 100/1 last year and I fully believe he can win this. I think the race will be run to suit if the jockey chooses to hold the horse up which he did when winning the Nunthorpe. There are plenty of front runners in this race which should set it up for something coming from off the pace. The likes of Rose Blossom, Markab, Tangerine Trees, Overdose and a couple of others could all help set a quick pace. This should play in to the hands of my selection. He showed when winning the Nunthorpe that he is capable of running very quick and he also broke the track record at Dundalk (which would not have taken much). Overdose looks too short for this race on his first outing in the UK. He may well look a great 2/1 shot come the end of the race but there are too many if's regarding this horse so I think he is one to watch. One of the strongest trends of this race is that you must have won in your last 4 starts which removes Rose Blossom, Prohibit, Kingsgate Native, Group Therapy and Hamish Mcgonagall. There has only been one 8 year old winner of this race dating back to at least the 1980's so I am happy to remove both Markab and Borderlescott. Of the four remaining I am happy to remove the 2 3 year olds in New Planet and Stone of Folca which leaves just 2. Tangerine Trees is improving at a rate of knotts but I feel he will be one to help force a fast pace which will hopefully set it up for the other horse we are left with in Sole Power. I think Sole Power can prove that his Nunthorpe win was not a fluke by taking this today. He is drawn in between Rose Blossom and Overdose so should be able to sit in behind them 2 and hopefully pick them off towards the finish. He is still young and there could be more improvement to come from him. A return to the tactics that brought him that shock group 1 win should see him go close here. On his 2 outings since that win, he has raced up with pace which hasn't suited. He has plenty of group entries this season, so they will be hoping for a big run from the horse today.
:clap:clap

3.00 Haydock Sole Power 12/1 William Hill Looked back to form last time out and could run a massive race here. This horse was a shock winner of the Nunthorpe at 100/1 last year and I fully believe he can win this. I think the race will be run to suit if the jockey chooses to hold the horse up which he did when winning the Nunthorpe. There are plenty of front runners in this race which should set it up for something coming from off the pace. The likes of Rose Blossom, Markab, Tangerine Trees, Overdose and a couple of others could all help set a quick pace. This should play in to the hands of my selection. He showed when winning the Nunthorpe that he is capable of running very quick and he also broke the track record at Dundalk (which would not have taken much). Overdose looks too short for this race on his first outing in the UK. He may well look a great 2/1 shot come the end of the race but there are too many if's regarding this horse so I think he is one to watch. One of the strongest trends of this race is that you must have won in your last 4 starts which removes Rose Blossom, Prohibit, Kingsgate Native, Group Therapy and Hamish Mcgonagall. There has only been one 8 year old winner of this race dating back to at least the 1980's so I am happy to remove both Markab and Borderlescott. Of the four remaining I am happy to remove the 2 3 year olds in New Planet and Stone of Folca which leaves just 2. Tangerine Trees is improving at a rate of knotts but I feel he will be one to help force a fast pace which will hopefully set it up for the other horse we are left with in Sole Power. I think Sole Power can prove that his Nunthorpe win was not a fluke by taking this today. He is drawn in between Rose Blossom and Overdose so should be able to sit in behind them 2 and hopefully pick them off towards the finish. He is still young and there could be more improvement to come from him. A return to the tactics that brought him that shock group 1 win should see him go close here. On his 2 outings since that win, he has raced up with pace which hasn't suited. He has plenty of group entries this season, so they will be hoping for a big run from the horse today.
Yep Brilliant Quackers, glad I went for my Harlestone Times as my BBOTD, no where near as good as 12/1 though:clap

Re: BBOTD 21st May Already tipped this one up twice and alwasy said its only a matter of time before the penny drops so i'll stick with her again this evening at Newbury. Traine by Roger Charlton and she was VERY unlucky last time out just getting beat by a Barry Hills hot pot. I think she's a wee touch of class and the extra 1f tonight should do her no harm, if anything it should see her better. I know Roger and her Owners think alot of her and i hope they get a great night and their filly gets her first win. The Hannon filly could be a big danger but the pick should put up one of a fight. Newbury 6:35 - SUPREME QUEST 1pt win 7/2 Bet365 & Corals Enjoy your weekend.

Well done, very nice write up, nice horse.

Re: BBOTD 21st May 6:50 Lingfield ADMIRABLE DUCHESS 3-1 Stan James Beaten narrowly a few weeks ago this horse should make a bold bid from the front and hold off any rivals. The horse loves 5f and has won before here at Lingfield. A few horses in this race I disgard for age alone whereas the selection is still improving at 4 years of age and has not only had a recent run but drops in class from 4 to 5. Ajjadd still carries too much weight in my opinion only lower a pound today for 2 defeats over 2lengths+ and Grudge may have won here previously but has been coming close in lower grade races so I don't fear much from him back up in class today. Wooden King remains the danger running back over 5f again but I'm going to stick with the favourite Admirable Duchess for my BBOTD today.

You might even do your accounts now:rollin :clap Great winners for CPO (14/1), Tull, Zenyatta and Calculus too:clap
Lol I will definitely do it after racing tomorrow. I have that many losing bets it's going to take a while to go through them all! Exams are over now and uni is finished until October so have plenty of time to do it :D

Re: BBOTD 21st May 7.05 Newbury - Avon River - 20/1 WH E/W Hannon runner who isnt the easiest to predict but on his day is very capable. Not much pace on here with this one likely to be up there, with Boom And Bust the only other possible front runner im hoping it may pay to sit handy. Won a claimer lto, the beating of Camerrooney that day on unfavourable terms is a decent bit of form considering his run nto in a handicap. Trip or ground not a problem and won handicaps last year off 81 and 87, effectively off 80 here so on his best form is handicapped to go close. Still showed that he retains ability with a few decent efforts on the all weather over the winter. Blinkers not on here but went close without them 3 runs back.