Royal Ascot

Re: Royal Ascot I suppose for me its that "if" your selection actually wins. I think Frankel will probably win but he is no certainty as is no horse. In this race in particular, your going to at least nearly double your money if you get your horse placed plus there's that slight chance of you actually turning over Frankel.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Royal Ascot

Just looking at the Queen Anne and it looks like Cape Blanco will be running in this. I don't really understand why they are running this horse in this race against 2 superstars in Golidkova and Canford Cliffs. Surely he will get outpaced? Am I missing something? He is a top class horse in his own right and should be racing over a suitable distance such as 10f or 12f. I know they have other horses in the yard but Cape Blanco is too good a horse to be put in the Queen Anne to take on 2 top class miler's. I may be totally wrong and obviously the trainer knows better than me but its just seems a very strange decision' date=' if he does in fact go for the Queen Anne. Or am I alone in thinking this?[/quote'] Definitely looks a runner. Strange one for me as well. I hope Goldikova wins, she is one of my favourite horses

Re: Royal Ascot RoP definately out Backed Bewiched the other day for Saturday. She really impressed me LTO winning easily and there should be more to come. She has course form too and their is rain forecast and any cut would be a bonus. Got 12s EW with Skybet and that is still available.

Re: Royal Ascot Just looking at the QA..........as of now there's 8 runners and Cape Blanco is 6/1 3rd favourite, with everything apart from the big two at huge odds Might be an interesting EW or place bet if you try and pick one to finish 3rd !

Just looking at the QA..........as of now there's 8 runners and Cape Blanco is 6/1 3rd favourite, with everything apart from the big two at huge odds Might be an interesting EW or place bet if you try and pick one to finish 3rd !
It is quite interesting because after Dick Turpin flopped against Goldikova the trainer said it would now wait for soft ground. If it does not rain for Tuesday I can see Dick Turpin being a non runner, we can hardly expect it to turn over Goldikova and Canford Cliffs after being well beaten by them both. That would leave 7 runners and only 2 places. Cityscape might also need cut and if it is on the firm side that could easily get withdrawn too. What is interesting is that Dick Turpin is ridden by Ryan Moore yet I am sure Aidan O'Brien would love to use him on Cape Blanco, at this moment in time Cape Blanco has no jockey booked according to the Racing Post site. How annoying would it be for Hannon if Dick Turpin didn't run, Ryan got on Cape Blanco and then turned over Canford Cliffs??? Can't see that happening but see if there are any developments until Tuesday in terms jockey booking on Cape Blanco. :ok

Re: Royal Ascot My fiendish plan for an EW steal would disappear if Dick was a non runner..........:D I think he might run on the basis that he's just going to run in all the group one mile races and hope to get lucky It's possible that he could win one if he gets an easy lead and slips the field he might even be in as a pacemaker......or to hassle Goldikova if she goes to the front early like last year.......:unsure

Re: Royal Ascot current ground at ascot being advertised as good/firm (9.2) so if rains and ends up good this is how iv erated the queen anne : goldikova 170 good canford cliffs 157 good to date goldikova is the fastest horse over 1 mile ,thats not to say that canford cliffs cant win but goldikova is considerably faster than canford cliffs so the latter will need something extra to win (or something to go wrong ) :unsure canford cliffs is 4pts greater on good/firm goldikovas superiority improves 3pts on good/sft so depends on ground

current ground at ascot being advertised as good/firm (9.2) so if rains and ends up good this is how iv erated the queen anne : goldikova 170 good canford cliffs 157 good to date goldikova is the fastest horse over 1 mile ,thats not to say that canford cliffs cant win but goldikova is considerably faster than canford cliffs so the latter will need something extra to win (or something to go wrong ) :unsure canford cliffs is 4pts greater on good/firm goldikovas superiority improves 3pts on good/sft so depends on ground
I'm not sure how speed ratings differ from one to the other but RP Topspeed has Canford Cliffs as 138 and Goldikova as 141 but they have Canford's best speed rating on good as 138 (Ascot) with Goldikova's best speed rating on good at 148 (Deauville) :ok Canford has never raced on ground softer than good. If it pisses down with rain Goldikova will become an odds on chance for me.

Re: Royal Ascot i think if both canford cliffs and goldikova turn up 100% then canford cliffs can only beat goldikova on good/firm ,any other ground and the latter should win (easier as the ground gets softer also so any rain a definate +) and the present price might be value ....as been said i would expect goldikova to go off fav on good or good/sft

I'm not sure how speed ratings differ from one to the other but RP Topspeed has Canford Cliffs as 138 and Goldikova as 141 but they have Canford's best speed rating on good as 138 (Ascot) with Goldikova's best speed rating on good at 148 (Deauville) :ok Canford has never raced on ground softer than good. If it pisses down with rain Goldikova will become an odds on chance for me.
i have goldikovas fastest as the one at longchamp lto where she was absolutely flying at the 8f pole recording 2.1 faster than the standard .if thats true then goldikova is actually improving whereas canford cliffs seems to have reached a plateau around the 160 mark (+1.2) so if running true to that goldikova would win by 4 lengths on good ground.6 of the 8 races that day were slower considerably than the standard with only the listed race breaking the standard so the ground seems t have been riding slow that day making goldikovas perfromance even better and ive actually undervalued it as it could be 175 so taking that into account 5/4 goldikova is the value price anything less is poor value so 13/8 is huge !!!

Re: Royal Ascot going is 8.3 which is good ground at present ,and any more rain would strengthen goldikovas chances further .normally i wouldnt back a mare against a colt as 90% of the time the latter would win (just seem to find more) but goldikova is the female equivalent of frankel so i think she'll brush aside canford cliffs and it would be nice if those 2 came up against each other at some point.not super confident but 4pts at 13/8

Re: Royal Ascot kings stand 305 asc: wow this is a hard race to rate!!!! sole power 165 is close with prohibit 163 and group therapy 161 ,ratings which they could all achieve on good .prohibit can handle cut (already posted earlier on the thread at 25/1.....now 16/1) kinsgate native is 164 and looks decent value at 9/1 ,mar adentro is a consistent sprinter and regulary runs around the 160+ mark in these types of races so forgiven his last run on soft ground (previously ran 161 on good) 66/1 is totally ridiculously overpriced so has to go on the shortlist for me . war artist has a best of 170 on good and comes out top rated in this but hasnt run to that mark for a while but collateral form lines with jj the jet plane could suggest he has the beating of most of these which means his 16/1 price is huge sweet sanette ran 5f in approx 55 secs at sha tin which looks well above average for the course and booking of jamie spencer eye catching (rode group therapy lto ) so could be dangerous and hard to weigh up lots of others all in with genuine chances...including astrophysical jet (160 at best) this is the superstar sprint race of the season so far so im going to go: mar adentro 1 pt e.w 66/1 prohibit already advised 25/1 war artist 1pt win 16/1 good prices and should get a good run for my money in whats a wide open race

Re: Royal Ascot 345 asc st james palace stakes : the re appearance of frankel ,as the form was hard to weigh up lto (was it slowed by the wind making it special ? we shall see ...... frankel ??? wooton bassett 156 dubawi gold 153 dream ahead 152 7f the value bet in this race is an e.w bet on either dubawi gold 14/1 or wooton bassett 14/1 ,personally i like the latter wooton basset who ran tin horse (a decent french type) to 3 lengths first time up .......natural improvement would suggest that he could cause an upset if frankel isnt the wonder horse everyone thinks at 2/5 on so 1pt e.w wooton bassett 14/1

Re: Royal Ascot 4.25 asc coventry stakes : another wide open race with lots of improvers (so stick a pin in ......lol) st barths 152 power 150 + brocklebank 150 camponolgy 145+ italo 145+ gatepost 145+ power for the powerful aiden o brien and ryan moore team will be hard to beat in this and 5/1 isnt a bad price but it might be worth looking elsewhere not least because the ground has changed to good and brocklebanks ,gatepost and italos ratings were all achieved on good so that boosts their credentials ,lots of value so for me : 2pts win gatepost 7/1 brocklebank 1pt win 20/1 italo 1pt win 16/1 add 1pt win camponolgy 28/1 to that list as i only just noticed he ran extremely green lto and vast improvement could come

The Japanese horse must have an e/w chance? One of the best milers in Japan.
his form is all on very fast ground (firm) and now its good so ground has gone against thet one also cant weigh up what he's actually achieved ( not saying he cant win ) just looks better bets elsewhere to me

345 asc st james palace stakes : the re appearance of frankel ,as the form was hard to weigh up lto (was it slowed by the wind making it special ? we shall see ...... frankel ??? wooton bassett 156 dubawi gold 153 dream ahead 152 7f the value bet in this race is an e.w bet on either dubawi gold 14/1 or wooton bassett 14/1 ,personally i like the latter wooton basset who ran tin horse (a decent french type) to 3 lengths first time up .......natural improvement would suggest that he could cause an upset if frankel isnt the wonder horse everyone thinks at 2/5 on so 1pt e.w wooton bassett 14/1
Can I ask if you genuinely feel that Wooton Basset has a chance of actually winning the race? Frankel has everything in his favour, beaten other horses in the field more than once, has won over C&D, has won on the ground and is also lightly raced enough to still be improving. I wouldn't dream of backing him at the prices available and im always on the look out to try and get short priced fav's turned over. But there are occassions when there just is nothing in the field to take him on with and be reasonably confident of a decent run for your money. To me the betting w/o Frankel or the place only market are the only sensible markets in this race.

Can I ask if you genuinely feel that Wooton Basset has a chance of actually winning the race? Frankel has everything in his favour, beaten other horses in the field more than once, has won over C&D, has won on the ground and is also lightly raced enough to still be improving. I wouldn't dream of backing him at the prices available and im always on the look out to try and get short priced fav's turned over. But there are occassions when there just is nothing in the field to take him on with and be reasonably confident of a decent run for your money. To me the betting w/o Frankel or the place only market are the only sensible markets in this race.
frankels last 3 speed ratings on pure times are 130,140 ,135 ,so that suggests that hes just had things his own way when hes run recently ,the guineas is hard to weigh up as because the field was so strung out its not clear as to whether there were other factors at play as some people have said the headwind could have slowed the race by an extreme 3 secs which would make frankels run 160+ or it may be it was only slowed by 1 sec which would make his rating 140 again in line with his other ratings ....... wooton basset is proven at 156 and could improve so until frankel actually proves he can run a fast time ......im happy to take him on any day as i dont do hype only value ...... most likely you are probably correct and frankel will come out and pound them into the ground and prove hes a superstar but until he does actually do it on the clock then hes done nothing

Re: Royal Ascot 4.25 weds royal hunt cup : pintura 147 leviathan 145 lord aeryn 145 kaygeebee 145 mont agel 143 fareer 142 stick a pin in it time again .........tough race....to crack this i need a team effort so im going to chance : pintura 20/1 kaygeebee 25/1 lord aeryrn 25/1 leviathan 33/1 1 pt on each ......tagteam

i just found this : THE sight of Frankel destroying the 2,000 Guineas field should have frightened off the most optimistic of trainers. But Richard Fahey will not shirk a duel. And so Wootton Bassett will face the biggest challenge of his young life when he bids to dethrone the mighty horse in the Group 1 St James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot on Tuesday. To watch Frankel at Newmarket was to see racing’s wildest dreams come true. The bare distance, six lengths, could not truly reflect the way Henry Cecil’s colt utterly dominated a top-class field of three-year-olds. People are always lining up to name the next ‘wonder horse’ but, in the Guineas, Frankel lived up to the billing. Striding like a sprinter, he was 12 lengths clear at half-way. The race was already won. Now, Frankel moves on to the Royal Meeting and, on the 300th anniversary of the festival of pomp and pageantry, the punters are expecting another show of brilliance. In his way stands Wootton Bassett, the pride of Malton and the North. While this season has largely gone like clockwork for Frankel, the same cannot be said for Fahey’s son of Iffraaj. A setback in training over the winter ruled out a Guineas effort over the Rowley Mile and, when trainer Fahey and jockey Paul Hanagan went in search of Classic glory in France, circumstance conspired against them. Cursed with a wide draw at Longchamp in the French 2,000 Guineas, Wootton Bassett faded into fifth with Hanagan forced to burn up vital reserves in the early stages in a bid to capture an early lead. Robbing him of an unbeaten record which had brought big money success as a two-year-old at York and Doncaster and then a Group 1 victory in the Prix Jean-Luc Lagardere in Paris, it was hard not to be at least a little deflated. The draw was not the only excuse. Having been fit and ready to run, Hanagan told Fahey that Wootton Bassett had been “ready to explode” just before being loaded into the stalls in the French Classic. So you can forgive that he ran a bit free and, should he get the trip at Berkshire, you can expect a bit more from him this time. Will it be enough to beat Frankel? Whatever happens, Fahey’s horse – frequently described by the handler as the best he has ever trained – will not dodge the challenge with Group 1 honours on the line. “I spoke to Richard the other day and I believe all is on course for Tuesday,” said Wootton Bassett’s part owner, Frank Brady, earlier this week. “We both think he was just too fresh in France and we didn’t see the best of him. “It’s going to be interesting to see how we get on against Frankel. It’s going to be tough to beat him, but stranger things have happened. “I suppose if we run a good race and we’re placed behind him it will be a good run. We’ll just see how we get on.” Put the pair in a field which also includes the English and Irish 2,000 Guineas runner-up Dubawi Gold, and Marco Botti’s touted Excelebration – the German 2,000 Guineas winner who was second to Frankel in the Greenham Stakes – and it could be quite a contest.

4.25 weds royal hunt cup : pintura 147 leviathan 145 lord aeryn 145 kaygeebee 145 mont agel 143 fareer 142 stick a pin in it time again .........tough race....to crack this i need a team effort so im going to chance : pintura 20/1 kaygeebee 25/1 lord aeryrn 25/1 leviathan 33/1 1 pt on each ......tagteam
Obviously there are an incredible number of possibilities in this race. Here are my two against the field: Coral are going 25-1 Pintura, which seems big for a horse who can act in big fields, as shown when he recently came second in the Newbury Sprng Cup. He should be even better on GS going, and Jamie Spencer has won on him before. I also like Brick Red at 33-1 (generally). He is one who certainly acts better on softer going than that which he encountered at the start of the season. I think there was enough encouragement in his last run (4th at Sandown) to suggest that he too could feature in the shake-up. Recently he has been ridden by Jimmy Fortune, but he appears to have been jocked off by William Buick, who won on him in 2009. This jockey change is another plus for me, as is the fact that he has won at Ascot in the past.

I also like Brick Red at 33-1 (generally). He is one who certainly acts better on softer going than that which he encountered at the start of the season. I think there was enough encouragement in his last run (4th at Sandown) to suggest that he too could feature in the shake-up. Recently he has been ridden by Jimmy Fortune, but he appears to have been jocked off by William Buick, who won on him in 2009. This jockey change is another plus for me, as is the fact that he has won at Ascot in the past.
i heard that Probert had got the ride as Fortune cant do the weight, the horse is fit and well from what i have heard about it. The race will be about where the pace is etc