** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

The Quackers school of thought...

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Quackers school of thought...

I should have said might and not would. Looked unlucky though. Do all you guys meet up at the races? You ever go to York?
thought it was unlucky also mate we meet at some southern tracks but some of the northerners meet up at places like york, mowgli i think normally looks at the dante meeting

Re: The Quackers school of thought... Was very tempted by REDFORD at CHANTILLY as my BBOTD but I'll go with this one. 3.10 Bath BATELEUR 1.5pts e/w 11/2 William Hill I am going to be safe and go each way with this horse as there are plenty in here with chances. This horse finished third behind WELCOME APPROACH and METROLPITAN CHIEF last time out so is not guaranteed to reverse that form. Add to the mix the impressive all weather winner REBECCA ROMERO and the old boy THE TATLING and you have yourself and very competitive race, not to mention the others! BATELEUR has never gone very well first time back from a break which wasn't the case this year. He ran very well finishing 3rd behind 2 horses that came into the race in good form. I think this run just emphasises how far forward the Channon horses seem to be for this time of the year. After 5f of that race my selection was in front and battled on well all the way to the line so should come on for the run. Charles Bishop who claims 7lb is back on board today after giving the horse a perfectly good ride last time out. BATELEUR also has a course win to his name and often runs here which is another positive. That win came over 6f off a mark of 64 with the jockey taking off 5lb so was effectively running off 59. Today he actually runs of 59 with the jockey taking off another 7lb so should be able to get involved off this mark. I think WELCOME APPROACH will definitely run well again and should be thereabouts along with REBECCA ROMERO. Hughes rides the latter and if transferring the form she showed at Lingfield to the turf she would have a massive chance. METROPOLITAN CHIEF has never won over 5f and won't get much assistance in the saddle so I am happy him over. The only other horse I can see getting involved in the finish is THE TATLING who is opposable for win purposes. SPIC N SPAN is a Southwell horse and DECIDER hasn't won on the turf in 18 attempts. Quite happy to stick with BATELEUR to come on for his seasonal debut and go 2 places better to win this :hope

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 2.20 Perth RUMBLE OF THUNDER 2.5pts e/w 9/2 Bet 365 Having a max each way bet on this horse today. Was going to just have the one bet today but I have been looking for horses from this stable to run and this one looks likes it has a good chance. This horse was consistent and decent enough on the flat with his best performance arguably coming when finishing close up behind the classy ALAINMAAR. He didn't show much on his first 3 starts over jumps but absolutely hacked up last time out after being well backed. He beat JUKEBOX MELODY that day who is a decent yardstick and had won his previous race. Maybe now the penny has dropped, this horse can progress over hurdles. The stable are still in cracking form with their horses in both codes so this must be given a chance here. PLAN A won well yesterday but this is much tougher and Mccoy is replaced by a 5lb claimer. SOUNDS OF THUNDER comes from the same stable but looks the second string, although all Gordon Elliot horses have to be respected when running here. The only other danger looks to be RENARD D'IRLANDE who has been very impressive in his last 2 wins but has gone up a massive 15lb for his last win in a weak looking novice hurdle. That may just prevent the hat-trick. RUMBLE OF THUNDER does encounter different ground conditions today but handled good to firm on the flat so he should have no problem with the quicker surface today. R McGrath has rode the horse on every start and he rides this track well. The horse jumped well last time out and I think there is definitely more to come over hurdles.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... - 1.15pts RUMBLE OF THUNDER ran a good race but was beaten easily by the gordon elliot trainer horse - 3pts BATELEUR ran well enough but is probably better over 6f Looking at Ireland for another bet tonight. Plenty of good looking favourites there tonight.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 6.55 Tipperary FINICIUS 3 pts win 10/3 VC Bet This one improved greatly from his return from a break to chase home FAMOUS NAME in a listed race last time out. He likes to be held up so I think this track will suit. There should be plenty of pace in the race for him to run at. The favourite looks highly progressive but has gone up 13lbs since his last win which came under a 7lb apprentice who isn't on today. So effectively 20lbs higher today, he might just struggle against the selection. FIGHTING BRAVE is very interesting at this trip and BLAZE BRIGHTLY would be of more interest had he already had a run this season. FINICIUS doesn't win often but conditions are in his favour tonight and he has a good chance of turning over the favourite. Murtagh on board which is also a positive!

Re: The Quackers school of thought... - 7.15pts on the day. Finicius never got a run but probably would have never got near the winner 4.10 Doncaster Patavium 2pts e/w 13/2 Paddy Power This looks a very competitive race with just 2pts separating the first 6 in the betting with the outsider being Bedouin Bay. Patavium comes here on the back of a solid run last time out where he pulled hard and didn't quite get home finishing 3rd. If settling better today he could go close. He is the only CD winner in the field and that came on his only visit to this track. He won off a mark of 67 that day which came July last year and is effectively off 67 here today with the jockey taking 3 off his back. So he is on a winnable mark which can't be said for a few of these. The stable are in good form with 2 winners from 4 runners in the last fortnight. The favourite here has gone up 1lb for finishing 2nd at Beverley but that came under a 5lb claimer so this horse has an extra 6lb to carry here today which must just prevent him winning. The stable have also been struggling for winners so I am happy to take Red Kestrel on. Fourth Generation, Bullet Man and Incendo are all back from a break and may just need the race. Of these 3, Incendo is the most interesting for the Fanshawe yard. He would go close if ready to go first time up and recapturing the form form that he showed when winning at Leicester last year. The biggest danger could come from the race fit Archie Rice, who has been running over hurdles recently but was competitive off this mark on the all weather when last seen on the flat in January. If Patavium can settle better here today, he must have a good chance against rivals who lack race-fitness. His only run at the course resulted in a win and he is back here on a winnable mark for a trainer in a good form. The young jockey on board has shown himself to be pretty useful, most recently when getting up on Snow Dancer at Pontefract the other day in a good race. Plenty in this horses favour today, so hopefully he can show these younger horses how its done.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... There are quite a few horses at short prices that I fancy today so have put them in a yankee. 1pt Yankee Coral 4.45 Doncaster Halfsin Evens The main danger has come out of the race and the maiden this horse won looks quite strong with the placed horses coming out of it and running very well. 4.25 Leicester Hong Kong Island 5/4 This horse won well last time out and runs off the same mark here today. Beat a horse called Tenhoo who came out of the race and won easily the other day off the same mark so surely this one can follow up here. 5.10 Perth Trendelenburg 15/8 Trendelenburg has won 3 out of his last 5 starts in Ireland and comes over to Perth today for a trainer who loves having winners here. 5.20 Doncaster Bosambo 6/4 This hose ran a good race first time up over a mile last time out getting beat by a progressive hose in Buzz Law. They both pulled clear of the third so this horse should be up to wining this today.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... An early one for tomorrow 2000 Guineas Saamidd 0.5pt e/w 33/1 Ladbrokes Taking Frankel out of this race, I think you could have anything fill the places. This horse was hugely impressive on his first 2 runs winning by 7 lengths in a maiden at Newbury and then winning quite easily in a group 2 at Doncaster by over 2 lengths. That was only the second run of his career so it was impressive how he travelled and then put the race to bed. The horses he beat that day in Approve and Waiter's Dream are smart animals in their own right and he beat them with ease. Saamidd's next run in the Dewhurst was so disappointing and surely this was not his true running. I am willing to forget about that run as it was too bad to be true. Godolphin do appear to have a much better chance in the race with Casamento and Frankie has chosen that one over the 2. He doesn't always make the right decision however and the young French jockey that takes over from him on Saamidd is very talented. I think I am right in saying that Saamidd is bred to be better over this longer distance being by Street Cry. Street Cry has produced multiple group 1 winners in the USA and none other than the amazing Zenyetta. I am hoping Saamidd can be another one. I had to have a small interest on this horse at 33/1 which I think is a massive price. Taken from the Godolphin website about Saamidd... Saeed bin Suroor revealed: "Saamidd works nicely at home and he is ready to go. "He ran well last year and he has matured through the winter into a stronger, heavier, more relaxed horse, so we are looking for a good run from him. "He is a Group Two winner, so we know he has class and the mile will suit him." Simon Crisford commented: "Nothing ever came to light to explain Saamidd’s poor run in the Dewhurst. "But the colt had a difficult disposition on the day - his attitude seemed to change and he didn't like the ground very much. Even saying that, he was disappointing but he has been working nicely this year. "Obviously, he has a lot to find with the principals on Saturday but we have been very pleased with his progress over the last few weeks." :hope

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 2.30 Newmarket Dandino 5 pts win 11/4 Boylesports This horse is in my ten to follow and I expect a massive run from him today. He was one of the most progressive horses last year winning a maiden at Redcar off 77 and going to finish rated 113 at the end of the season. He went very close in a group 2 at Goodwood before finding the St Leger too far. He had the St Leger winner in behind win finishing second at Goodwood. I have no doubt that this horse will continue to progress this year and he won on his reappearance at Ripon by 11 lengths. He should come on far that run and at least give Laahab a good battle here. Dandino has plenty of group1 and group2 entries which shows how highly they think of this horse. I see Laaheb as the only danger and surprisingly this horse goes very well for Richard Hills. All career wins have come under this jockey plus he is already a group 3 winner. Laaheb ran a cracker in Meydan to finish close up behind Rewilding in a group 1. Campanologist is another horse who has to be considered as he has already won at group 2 level. He also goes well fresh and should run a good race here. The stable mate of my selection Inidan Days ran well last time out to win his first group race but this is much tougher. I think James Given's best chance in this race lies with Dandino. Dandino is the youngest horse in the field and gets a very small weight allowance from the others. I see Dandino as one to continue progressing this year into a consistent group horse. Hopefully he can get the better of Laaheb today.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... - 7.15pts yesterday - 4pts Patavium who was very disappointing + 21.32 pts for my yankee. would have been nice to get the 4 winners but 3 will do :) Not sure how to add the Yankee into my bet history so I have put it down as 1 winner. Is this right? Bets - 21 Wins - 6 Losses - 12 Placed - 3 Bank - 165.47pts P/L - +65.47pts

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 3.45 Newmarket Group Therapy 2pts e/w 15/2 Bet 365 As much as I like the favourite here I can't not back this horse. He runs for my favourite trainer and has been purchased by the sponsors of this race so surely they will be expecting a big run in their own race. This horse returned last year a very much improved performer winning on his return and finishing in the places on his next 3 runs in group2, group3 and listed level. On his final start he was bumped at the start and was given too much to do in a race where he was sent off second favourite. Like all big sprint races, these horses will beat each other throughout the year so I am hoping its this horses turn today. He will have plenty of assistance in the saddle from Ryan Moore and goes well fresh which is a positive. I think David Barron is a great trainer of sprinters and he will have this one ready to go first time up. As for the dangers, well there are plenty. Like I said before there are a few in here who are all capable of winning this on their day. The favourite was beaten by 2 of these before going on to land 2 group 3 races at the end of last season so must have a big chance here. In what is a competitive sprint I am going to take a chance with Group Therapy to win it for the sponsors of the race Pearl Bloodstock.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 2.00 Newmarket Proponent 2pts e/w 9/1 William Hill Was going to leave this race alone as I am pretty rubbish at trying to find the winner of these big field handicaps but I like the look of this horse here. Proponent is a regular in these types of races and ran with plenty of zest on his return in the Spring Cup at Newbury. He didn't get the best passage that day and was always travelling well. When he did get the gaps he ran on well. He should come on for that outing and the extra distance should play too his strengths. He is a CD winner and has Frankie on board who is 1 from 1 on the horse. I see this as a big positive as Frankie is one of the best big race riders in the business and should be able to stay clear of trouble through the race. That win under Frankie came in October 2009 and was the horses last win but he has had plenty of near misses and hard luck stories. Hopefully today will be the day that he gets his head back in front. He has never won off a mark this high but is definitely capable as he showed when an unlucky 3rd behind Ransom Note at York last year off 97. He won this race back in 2008 off a mark of 90 so with that run at Newbury under his belt, I expect a good run from this horse. The favourite here Green Destiny could well turn out to be much better than these and should go well under Michael Hills but I am happy to take him on!

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 4.20 Newmarket Forjatt 1.5pts 12/1 e/w Ladbrokes This horse got within 2 lengths of Wootton Bassett on his second start and then went on to win on his next start by 5 lengths. Next time out at Doncaster over 7f this horse finished well down the field but finished full of running and never really got a run in the race, constantly running into the back of horses. His next next run at listed level came on soft ground which did not suit this horse. Returns to the track today for Roger Varian with Frankie on board, and with his ideal conditions. He is the highest rated horse in the field and I expect him to fulfil his potential this season. Hanagan is on the favourite but he believes this is a touch race and his ride will come on for the run. I like the look of Forjatt here and at 12/1 he is worth a bet. He will not be so big come tomorrow...

Re: The Quackers school of thought... - 1pt Saamidd, should have just backed Frankel - 3pts Forjatt, haven't seen the race but sounds as if he was unlucky again! - 4pts Group Therapy, not very good! + 2.5pts Proponent, ended up favourite for the race but the winner was one of them group horses in a handicap me thinks + 13.75pts Dandino, listened to this on the phone and put the phone down when the commentator said it was beat lol Pleased enough with today although would have been nice if Forjatt had got a clear run. Might have one more at Donny...

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 7.45 Doncaster We Have A Dream 1pt e/w 12/1 Bet 365 This looks a good race to take on the top 2 in the betting. Internationaldebut often runs well but doesn't win very often whereas Cape Vale has never won off a mark this high. We have a dream put in a decent enough effort on his return at Kempton and although he has never won off a mark this high, he has gone very close off marks in the high 80's. He should be able to be competitive at the very least off 84. I like the jockey on board and he has won over the distance which can't be said for a few of these. A lot in the field would prefer it over 5f so I am happy to take my chances with this horse to run a solid race.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... I am having trouble logging on so I am posting an early one for tomorrow before the price goes. 3.50 Newmarket Edinburgh Knight 1pt e/w 25/1 Stan James This is obviously a very tough handicap to work out and anything could win this. I do like the look of this horse though who seems to be improving with every run. The stable are in good form and I think they have found the right distance for him now at 6f. He was highly tried as a juvenile in group and listed class but did win very cosily last time out in a good race on the all weather. He has yet to prove himself on turf which is a concern but he has only had 4 runs on the turf. One of these was his first ever outing on a racecourse, one at group 3 level, one at listed level and a competitive handicap at Doncaster where he only he finished 4 lengths behind the winner. This race will be run to suit as he likes to come from behind so hopefully he can transfer his latest form on to the turf. If doing so he would have a chance here.

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 9.35 Sha Tin Ambitious Dragon 4pts win SP As much as I don't want to go against Wigmore Hall or River Jetez, I think this horse could be very classy! Beat Extension comfortably last time out and that horse won last week beating a top class field in a group 1. I don't know much about the other runners but I feel the race lies between these 3 horses and I am hoping ambitious dragon can come out on top.

9.35 Sha Tin Ambitious Dragon 4pts win SP As much as I don't want to go against Wigmore Hall or River Jetez, I think this horse could be very classy! Beat Extension comfortably last time out and that horse won last week beating a top class field in a group 1. I don't know much about the other runners but I feel the race lies between these 3 horses and I am hoping ambitious dragon can come out on top.
Wow how easy was that. Nice start to the day :D

Re: The Quackers school of thought... 2.05 Newmarket 0.5pt e/w Nanton 33/1 Bet 365 This horse is so versatile and is very good on his day. Last time out can not have been his proper running as he was beaten over 50 lengths. I don't know if there was something wrong with the horse but I am willing to excuse that run. Just last year this horse was running well in group company off 107. He gets in this race off 102 and his regular rider Daniel Tudhope is on board. The stable had a few winners the other day so maybe they are just coming into form now. The horse is now 9 years old so it could be very possible that his latest result was the start of the decline of this horse but I will give him one more chance today. He is definitely capable of running a big race against these younger horses if putting his best hoof forward! Did not fancy anything else in the race but thought Nanton could well be capable of running a decent race at massive odds. 2.35 Eleanora Duse 2pts win 5/1 Bet365 The Stoute team have taken this race in the last 4 years so they must have a big chance with this horse. Take out her last run and she has some very smart form. Finishing 5 lengths behind Midday in a group 1 contest is very decent form and if she brings anything like that here, she must go close. She has the aid of the best jockey on board in Ryan Moore. The horse has her ideal conditions today so fingers crossed. The biggest danger is Contradense who has shown similar form being beaten by 5 lengths by Midday and I expect these 2 to fight this out. 3.15 Newmarket This is a truly horrible race to try and work out so I have backed 3. I tipped Barefoot Lady up in the Nell Gwyn and I won't ignore her claims today. The yard and jockey say this horse is absoluteley bouncing at home and expect her to improve for the step further up in trip. She should come on for her run last time out and I expect her to give the more fancied runners a good race. Moonlight Cloud is my ten to follow and this horse proved on her return to action this year that she has trained on. She won very easily and the trainer believes this horse is best on fast ground. He also think the world of this horse and the only time she was beaten last year was by the colts. The French have a decent record when coming over from France and I expect a massive run from this horse. The other one I like is Memory. Like Barefoot Lady, connections of Memory fancy her to run a massive race. Richard Hughes has actually come out and said she should win. Her win at Royal Ascot was truly remarkable and then followed that up in equally devastating fashion. I don't think this horse showed her true colours in Ireland, and I expect a massive run! Barefoot Lady 0.5pt e/w 20/1 William Hill Moonlight Cloud 2pts win 11/2 bet 365 Memory 2pts win 11/2 Bet 365 5.00 Newmarket Primevere 5pts win 5/2 Blue Square This horse only won a maiden at Kempton on debut but I know the stable think the world of this horse. It has progressive well over the winter and they fully expect this horse to go close here. This horse has an oaks entry so will they will be expecting a win here if she is to go on and take up that engagement. Plenty of opposition here, but this horse could hopefully be different class :hope

I am having trouble logging on so I am posting an early one for tomorrow before the price goes. 3.50 Newmarket Edinburgh Knight 1pt e/w 25/1 Stan James This is obviously a very tough handicap to work out and anything could win this. I do like the look of this horse though who seems to be improving with every run. The stable are in good form and I think they have found the right distance for him now at 6f. He was highly tried as a juvenile in group and listed class but did win very cosily last time out in a good race on the all weather. He has yet to prove himself on turf which is a concern but he has only had 4 runs on the turf. One of these was his first ever outing on a racecourse, one at group 3 level, one at listed level and a competitive handicap at Doncaster where he only he finished 4 lengths behind the winner. This race will be run to suit as he likes to come from behind so hopefully he can transfer his latest form on to the turf. If doing so he would have a chance here.
This one is a non-runner. 3.50 Newmarket Baldemar 0.5pt e/w 33/1 Bet 365 Not really a strong fancy but if on a going day could run a big race. Has won off higher marks and ran well off higher marks several times last year. Has had a recent pipe opener and could sneak into a place. Stable still in great form so could run a big race