** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) I will have one from the WTA..hopefully it will not end as that Kamke...that will haunt me for some time to come. Kinda like my Schwank over Mayer tip. 10pts (4/10) L.Tsurenko to bt. P.Schnyder @ 3.25 at Totesport (around 3 in various) Value for me. Schnyder had health problems and skipped tournaments so far, waiting for the Grand Slam. Tsurenko played against some solid players in the qualies and so I can see an upset in making here. She is young and talented, which may be enough against the experienced, but not fit veteran.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) By the way, can anyone shed some light on why llodra's price has dramatically dropped from being 1-3 to 10-11, and also how nadia petrova is 4-6 against a completely unproven ksenia pervak.... radwanska's price plummeting is also interesting...just how fit is she i wonder...by the way , my question mark button isn't working on my laptop in case anybody is wondering.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Hard to believe Klara was underdog against Oudin in Hobart. I have no doubts she's the better player here.As you say serve is not the best but same for Oudin really. Can see a few breaks in that one. Was thinking about Barrois to beat Amanmuradova too, neither in any sort of form but as the underdog with 2-0 h2h I think Barrois is slight value there. Not hugely confident in that though. Value gone on Chela, Schwank and others too.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

I will have one from the WTA..hopefully it will not end as that Kamke...that will haunt me for some time to come. Kinda like my Schwank over Mayer tip. 10pts (4/10) L.Tsurenko to bt. P.Schnyder @ 3.25 at Totesport (around 3 in various) Value for me. Schnyder had health problems and skipped tournaments so far, waiting for the Grand Slam. Tsurenko played against some solid players in the qualies and so I can see an upset in making here. She is young and talented, which may be enough against the experienced, but not fit veteran.
yeah, i agree with you here. Tsurenko's results in qualifying are very impressive....beating voegele, korytseva and most impressively heather watson ...all in straight sets. those 3 players are much better than your average qualifiers. schnyder is hit and miss these days and her recent record at the australian open is poor enough. the injury doubts doesn't bode well for her either...so yeah...let's give tsurenko some support.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Why are people backing chela against llodra....that's what i want to know....the price has changed so dramatically yet I don't recall anyone posting any chela tips here...or maybe i am wrong. I fancy llodra now to be honest but I'm wondering if the price change is to do with an injury scare or just a big fancied move for chela...what do you think

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Carsten Ball around 1.60ish is laughable really. Riba is a clay-courter and average one at that but 50:50 match i'd say, definitely winnable for Riba against that brainless clown. Smeg......yeah seems like people have pounded Chela's price....was value at 2.50 a few days back, cant get involved now. Radwanska is a dodgy one......only coming back from injury so its up in the air. Grandma Krumm is a tough cookie at times but if Radwanska is fit she should take it. Petrova on the other hand I think is backable...very tempted. I like Pervak, talented player but match all depends on Petrova for me. She could crush her. I'm guessing her poor recent matches have brought her price up....but if I remember right she tends to have real troubles in these early year events in Oz in the build up to the slam....but she can turn it on in the main event. Tempting price definitely.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Cannot see much else myself, so I have these bets now - Date (2.29), Hewitt (2.18), Schwank (1.80) and Tsurenko (about 3.00). Schwank has dropped below value, Hewitt can still be found above evens and I still fancy him, as well as Date. May follow some of your bets guys, but that is it for me. Good luck :hope BTW: The only thing I am afraid about with Tsurenko is that it is her first real experience in Slams if I am correct. However, the match will be played on Court 19, so the atmosphere will be more like the qualifiers than the main event in my opinion.

Why are people backing chela against llodra....that's what i want to know....the price has changed so dramatically yet I don't recall anyone posting any chela tips here...or maybe i am wrong. I fancy llodra now to be honest but I'm wondering if the price change is to do with an injury scare or just a big fancied move for chela...what do you think
Llodra's not played competitively this year and is actually a fairly average player away from indoors, especially when not in France. He struggles in five-set matches as eventually, players get a read on his serve and he can't keep it up. Remember him against Monaco last year, completely crumbled in R1 after winning the first two sets. Chela is no mug, and I think he's got a better H2H record but couldn't say for sure. Value has gone completely though. Same with Schwank. Mayer should win that one if he was 100%, but he's not so a completely different ball game.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) It should. However, I can see Hewitt winning it easily, but I cannot see Nalby winning it easily. I think Hewitt's mentality will be too much for David, especially if he plays like in the final few days ago. If he starts making mistakes, Hewitt will surely pounce and the crowd will always push him forwards. He never gives up - I can still remember how he beat Federer last year after going a set down.

It should. However' date=' I can see Hewitt winning it easily, but I cannot see Nalby winning it easily. I think Hewitt's mentality will be too much for David, especially if he plays like in the final few days ago. If he starts making mistakes, Hewitt will surely pounce and the crowd will always push him forwards. He never gives up - [b']I can still remember how he beat Federer last year after going a set down.
...as can I, I had Hewitt at 15.00 to win Halle! Incredible guts. One thing about the Kamke match, and this is only a piece of advice, so please don't take it the wrong way, and feel free to disregard it. I always feel the plus (which I think was +6AH for Kamke) is the best way in most situations. Sure, a 4.00 winner is marvellous, but they are those odds are there for a reason. They don't happen that often. A plus offers that added security, and I always feel that's the best way to go, as 75% of the time you'll get success out of it if the match is close. The best way to beat the bookie is to take the safest and what you deem to be the most likely option at the best price. Everyone has their own way of doing it though. What I've suggested isn't obviously fool proof, nor indeed gospel, but I sometimes think a lot people forget about the handicap and go for the big price. Just my tuppence's worth. At the end of the day, I want to see us all beating the bookie, not lose.

Llodra's not played competitively this year and is actually a fairly average player away from indoors' date=' especially when not in France. He struggles in five-set matches as eventually, players get a read on his serve and he can't keep it up. Remember him against Monaco last year, completely crumbled in R1 after winning the first two sets. Chela is no mug, and I think he's got a better H2H record but couldn't say for sure. Value has gone completely though. Same with Schwank. Mayer should win that one if he was 100%, but he's not so a completely different ball game.[/quote'] cheers atko. i was going to back llodra. he has been to the fourth round at the australian open before and the fourth round of the french open twice before.i think chela is a bit one-dimensional...a solid competitor for sure and a good match -player...certainly no mug but for me llodra has enough variety in his game to take chela out of his comfort zone.chela does have a winning record yet alright but the last time they oplayed was 2005 when llodra was predominantly a dobles player.However, i think the point you made about the 5 set format could be telling...llodra does tend to fade out in 5 setters..especially if there is heat..his collapse against monaco last year was a horror show....and also the fact that he has no form coming into the match is enough to put me off backing him. As for the mayer match, i agree....but it's a match to avoid i think...unless you were to back the unders...as if mayer is fit and healthy he wins easy...or if it is the same hopeless player that mayer was after the french open for the past 9 months...swank wins easy...so maybe that's a thought.

cheers atko. i was going to back llodra. he has been to the fourth round at the australian open before and the fourth round of the french open twice before.i think chela is a bit one-dimensional...a solid competitor for sure and a good match -player...certainly no mug but for me llodra has enough variety in his game to take chela out of his comfort zone.chela does have a winning record yet alright but the last time they oplayed was 2005 when llodra was predominantly a dobles player.However, i think the point you made about the 5 set format could be telling...llodra does tend to fade out in 5 setters..especially if there is heat..his collapse against monaco last year was a horror show....and also the fact that he has no form coming into the match is enough to put me off backing him. As for the mayer match, i agree....but it's a match to avoid i think...unless you were to back the unders...as if mayer is fit and healthy he wins easy...or if it is the same hopeless player that mayer was after the french open for the past 9 months...swank wins easy...so maybe that's a thought.
I decided a few days ago that they were best watched. So easy to play God on so many matches, that's the sure fire way to eroding your profits. I have a feeling Chela will win but it's probably 60-40 and there's no way I could entrust serious cash in that. I think Schwank's a really poor hard court player but if he's fitter than Mayer and has his eye in, he should win. Worth the risk though? No danger. Always better to not take the bet, watch it win and not lose anything, than take the bet, watch it lose, and go 'oh well, wish I hadn't done that, I wasn't certain'.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) I don't fancy getting too heavily involved in the Australian Open yet, but I've gone for the following tonight Tsonga to beat Petzschner 3-0 @1.83 - Coral Petzchner won his first game in ages when he beat De Bakker in Auckland, but then got badly beaten by Nalbandian in the next round. Even when at his best, the German is barely a match for the top players and at the moment, he's way off that. Tsonga is coming back to the top of his game and just looks like being too strong today. There's always a risk Tsonga will do something daft, but I'll take that risk tonight. Radwanska, Schnyder & Ivanovic treble @3.2 - Coral I fancy Radwanska to be too good for Krumm, even with question marks over the Pole's foot. She's seeded 12th here, while Klumm has only won one of her last 7 Grand Slam first round matches. That too me is too big a gap to be bridged by a lack of fitness. Besides, 40-year-old Krumm hardly looked sharp when losing to Kerber (who went out in round 1) and Bondarenko. Adding in Ivanovic, who I expect big things from this year. She sounds like she has things back together again and her form at the end of the year was excellent. Makarova tends to get beat when she plays against those better than her and former number one Ivanovic is definitely that. The Serb won in straight sets at the US Open and I think something similar tonight. Finally, Schnyder was to me, a no brainer against the qualifier Tsurenko, who came through qualifying, but has played 2 top 100 players in the last 2 months and lost to both (Bondarenko and Garrigues). One of the posters above me made a case for Tsurenko though and has me slightly worried.... Schwank, Ebden, Dolgopolov treble @4.3 - Coral This is a risky one, but I placed the bets at a local bookie, so it's more about interest at the moment and I couldn't decide which of the first two I liked better. Schwank, as someone said, has been playing poorly, but he's lost to decent players, whereas everyone beats Mayer at the moment. I think Schwank has enough about him to take what could be an ugly match. Matthew Ebden should give Australia at least one player in round two. The 23-year-old played really well last week and is a decent challenger player, who hasn't quite done as well as he maybe should have. Michael Russell is simply too old for me and he's on his way out. He retired against Harrison last week and I just don't think he'll handle best of 5 against a hungry player cheered on by a full house in Melbourne. Dolgopolov should simply be too good for Kukushin. The Ukrainian is in good form and his last five losses have been to Federer, Baghdatis, Simon, Roddick and Tursunov. Only the latter is a bad result. Kukushkin has been losing in qualifiers to challengers recently and he lost twice to Dolgopolov last year, so won't exactly go into the game confident of winning. :hope

One thing about the Kamke match, and this is only a piece of advice....
Of course, the handicap was always worth it, but the value was definitely there - I think you cannot disagree with that. He was nowhere near 4.00, that is for sure. Another way was, of course, to lay Kamke off when he was 2-0 up, since that would guarantee a solid profit either way, Kohli's price was quite high - if I had done it when it was going to the breaker in the third set, I would be a much happier man. I think we had a little bit of discussion about this last year and I still cannot change my opinion. The odds were just too good to pass and while the handicap was a good bet too, I think that if Kamke lost the first two sets, he would go down in fire and would not cover it nonetheless. It is a single match, so I am not worried about that much - the long run is obviously more important. The bad feeling is there, but life goes on. No need to take this loss too seriously, I think I made the right choice there and I would make it again given the chance.

Of course, the handicap was always worth it, but the value was definitely there - I think you cannot disagree with that. He was nowhere near 4.00, that is for sure. Another way was, of course, to lay Kamke off when he was 2-0 up, since that would guarantee a solid profit either way, Kohli's price was quite high - if I had done it when it was going to the breaker in the third set, I would be a much happier man. I think we had a little bit of discussion about this last year and I still cannot change my opinion. The odds were just too good to pass and while the handicap was a good bet too, I think that if Kamke lost the first two sets, he would go down in fire and would not cover it nonetheless. It is a single match, so I am not worried about that much - the long run is obviously more important. The bad feeling is there, but life goes on. No need to take this loss too seriously, I think I made the right choice there and I would make it again given the chance.
I'm not sure the value was there on the outright, and I thought the handicap was a bit skinny too, but that's not really important. Value is a completely personal thing and what is value to me is not necessarily value to you, and vice versa. That's something that we must respect as fellow punters as we all have different rules and perspectives. What's actually important is that you are happy to stick by your opinon and your system. If it is making you profits and you are happy with it, then that's the vital thing. I wish that Kamke bet had come in for you but that's not to say that your next 4.00 bet won't if you use the same logic. I suppose I'm perhaps a more conservative punter than you and that's why I don't chase a price, but that doesn't make it right. I suppose I feel it means you have a better chance of beating the bookie, in terms of taking the plus, albeit at smaller odds. No right or wrong though. Anyway, enough about betting philosophy, let's hope for some winners tonight :ok

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Not a great start yesterday but hope for better today. Agreeing with Atko with regards to Ferrer and Dolgopolov. Was also hoping to take unders on the Soderling match but the price is terrible for what the bet actually is. Alexandr Dolgopolov vs Mikhail Kukushkin- Dolgopolov -4.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Dolgopolov has really came of sorts in the last year, leading to a top 50 spot for the Ukranian. Already had a couple of warm ups down under, so he'll certainly be settled and raring to go. IMO, he's the kind of player who will beat other guys around the same ability level or slightly lower 9/10 times now as he's matured in the past 12 months. It's only where he'll play the top 20 players where he struggles, but he's still young enough to develop his game further. As Atko pointed out, he does prefer the clay but he certainly is no mug on other surfaces, shown by impressive wins over Baghdatis and Youzhny last year. Kukushkin is a good draw from Dolgopolov here, as he's only played two matches in Australia to warm up, with indifferent results against players well below Dolgopolov's standard. Last season, Kukushkin barely beat anyone of note on the outdoor hard courts, which are slower. H2H is 2-0 in Dolgopolov's favour, he should make it 3 without much trouble. Jarkko Nieminen vs David Ferrer- Ferrer -6.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (5/10) Terrible odds if compared to what Atko got for what is ironically a slightly riskier bet as well but still happy to take it. Ferrer is one of those guys when looked at, you wouldn't expect him to be any good at catching a ball let alone tennis but what I really like about him is he's clever. He knows he's not going to serve ace after ace, nor winner after winner but what he will do is gradually grind down his opponent into making mistakes which is what has made him such a good player. Coming in with good form as well, winning in Auckland beating 4 guys who are certainly no pushovers. The Fin on the other hand is likely to be struggling with fitness concerns here. Had to retire against Gil last week due to a knee injury, which is far from perfect preparation for a grand slam. This could be perfect for Ferrer as he'll make Nieminen run all over the place and monouevre the ball cleverly. Feel it might be a close first set, but if Ferrer gets throught this, it could be all one way traffic. Just to show I'm not copying all of Atko's picks with a different write up with poorer odds :lol : Rui Machado vs Santiago Giraldo- Giraldo -7.5 handicap- Evens Bet365- (4/10) Took a handicap last week with Giraldo against Montanes and he came through so will back him once again here. Although it's a big handicap for someone outside the top 50, Giraldo can certainly cover it if he plays like he's done for the past 2 weeks. Impressive wins over Simon, Montanes and Bellucci will give him alot of confidence going into this week. A year ago, he produced a fine display in the first round knocking out Robredo in straights so he'll not be scared of the ocassion. His opponent only played a total of 5 matches on the hard last year, and those were all qualifiers against lesser players. Then in preparation for this week, he lost both his matches this year against Falla, who is not fo Giraldo's quality, so don't see how Machado is going to seriously trouble the Colombian here. This isn't clay and Giraldo is no qualifier, so hoping for an easy win for him here. Bojana Jovanovski vs Kai-Chen Chang- Jananovski -4.5 handicap- 10/11 Bet365- (4/10) Have to favour the young Serbian here after the strides she made last week. Won 7 matches on on the trot, including wins against Kanepi, Rezai and Pennett before narrowly falling to Li. She played some really impressive tennis though and looks like she has worked hard over the off season to improve her game. Last season she was getting through the qualifiers but mostly getting hammered in the first round by a seeded player. She should have some confidence though from last week and in the women's game, confidence plays a large part. Chang hasn't played a match this season and was playing carpet events at the back end of last year. This is a complete contrast to what is in store today against a very much in form Jovanovski. They've played eachother twice, with the Serbian winning both, last of those coming last year where she covered this handicap. Hopefully she'll carry her good form into this week and take this one with the handicap.

Not a great start yesterday but hope for better today. Agreeing with Atko with regards to Ferrer and Dolgopolov. Was also hoping to take unders on the Soderling match but the price is terrible for what the bet actually is. Alexandr Dolgopolov vs Mikhail Kukushkin- Dolgopolov -4.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Dolgopolov has really came of sorts in the last year, leading to a top 50 spot for the Ukranian. Already had a couple of warm ups down under, so he'll certainly be settled and raring to go. IMO, he's the kind of player who will beat other guys around the same ability level or slightly lower 9/10 times now as he's matured in the past 12 months. It's only where he'll play the top 20 players where he struggles, but he's still young enough to develop his game further. As Atko pointed out, he does prefer the clay but he certainly is no mug on other surfaces, shown by impressive wins over Baghdatis and Youzhny last year. Kukushkin is a good draw from Dolgopolov here, as he's only played two matches in Australia to warm up, with indifferent results against players well below Dolgopolov's standard. Last season, Kukushkin barely beat anyone of note on the outdoor hard courts, which are slower. H2H is 2-0 in Dolgopolov's favour, he should make it 3 without much trouble. Jarkko Nieminen vs David Ferrer- Ferrer -6.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (5/10) Terrible odds if compared to what Atko got for what is ironically a slightly riskier bet as well but still happy to take it. Ferrer is one of those guys when looked at, you wouldn't expect him to be any good at catching a ball let alone tennis but what I really like about him is he's clever. He knows he's not going to serve ace after ace, nor winner after winner but what he will do is gradually grind down his opponent into making mistakes which is what has made him such a good player. Coming in with good form as well, winning in Auckland beating 4 guys who are certainly no pushovers. The Fin on the other hand is likely to be struggling with fitness concerns here. Had to retire against Gil last week due to a knee injury, which is far from perfect preparation for a grand slam. This could be perfect for Ferrer as he'll make Nieminen run all over the place and monouevre the ball cleverly. Feel it might be a close first set, but if Ferrer gets throught this, it could be all one way traffic. Just to show I'm not copying all of Atko's picks with a different write up with poorer odds :lol : Rui Machado vs Santiago Giraldo- Giraldo -7.5 handicap- Evens Bet365- (4/10) Took a handicap last week with Giraldo against Montanes and he came through so will back him once again here. Although it's a big handicap for someone outside the top 50, Giraldo can certainly cover it if he plays like he's done for the past 2 weeks. Impressive wins over Simon, Montanes and Bellucci will give him alot of confidence going into this week. A year ago, he produced a fine display in the first round knocking out Robredo in straights so he'll not be scared of the ocassion. His opponent only played a total of 5 matches on the hard last year, and those were all qualifiers against lesser players. Then in preparation for this week, he lost both his matches this year against Falla, who is not fo Giraldo's quality, so don't see how Machado is going to seriously trouble the Colombian here. This isn't clay and Giraldo is no qualifier, so hoping for an easy win for him here. Bojana Jovanovski vs Kai-Chen Chang- Jananovski -4.5 handicap- 10/11 Bet365- (4/10) Have to favour the young Serbian here after the strides she made last week. Won 7 matches on on the trot, including wins against Kanepi, Rezai and Pennett before narrowly falling to Li. She played some really impressive tennis though and looks like she has worked hard over the off season to improve her game. Last season she was getting through the qualifiers but mostly getting hammered in the first round by a seeded player. She should have some confidence though from last week and in the women's game, confidence plays a large part. Chang hasn't played a match this season and was playing carpet events at the back end of last year. This is a complete contrast to what is in store today against a very much in form Jovanovski. They've played eachother twice, with the Serbian winning both, last of those coming last year where she covered this handicap. Hopefully she'll carry her good form into this week and take this one with the handicap.
Good write up on Giraldo. Hard to see past him on current form. Machado is a dirt rat. He's surely here for the cash and nothing more. I know you were saying it in a jokey manner, but we shouldn't be scared of posting the same bets. Just because someone posted it before you doesn't mean your view doesn't count. If anything, it reinforces the feeling on that bet and might (for good or for bad) push people looking for a bet to back it. A prime example was Simon in the final and Troicki in the semis last week - a lot of people foresaw that and a lot of followers got the profit. That's good. Of course, sometimes it backfires, and we all lose out, but that's bound to happen at some point :lol Hopefully that won't be the case tonight.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) alisa kleybanova minus 6.5 games against irina falconi at 8-11. 2 points i like falconi .... i think she has a bright future and did well to qualify. however, i think kleybanova is a huge step up in class for her...kleybanova is in great form and was a couple of points zaway from beating the great clijsters last week. she can be fairly ruthless too when she gets on a roll as ivanovic would have learned at the french open last year.the australian open is alisa's favourite slam and i expect her to be way to good for falconi and win easy.

Good write up on Giraldo. Hard to see past him on current form. Machado is a dirt rat. He's surely here for the cash and nothing more. I know you were saying it in a jokey manner, but we shouldn't be scared of posting the same bets. Just because someone posted it before you doesn't mean your view doesn't count. If anything, it reinforces the feeling on that bet and might (for good or for bad) push people looking for a bet to back it. A prime example was Simon in the final and Troicki in the semis last week - a lot of people foresaw that and a lot of followers got the profit. That's good. Of course, sometimes it backfires, and we all lose out, but that's bound to happen at some point :lol Hopefully that won't be the case tonight.
Jokey manner, me ;)

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) arnaud clement to beat andreas seppi at 6-4 1 point i wouldn't put huge stakes on this one... I just think that clement represents the value here. Seppi has a 3-0 head-to-head record against clement but none of those matches have been in grand slams and clement spends most of his time on tour playing poorly these days in smaller tournaments but he does seem to come alive in the slams and i think if the match gets tight clement is the less likely to make mistakes as he is the better match player.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Dulgheru + Martic 2.03 bet 365 3/10 I follow WTA more closely than ATP so let' s see if I can win this one... There is certainly no other player with a better attitude that Alex. She is a bulldozer that fights till the end and wins most of the games in the third set by making her opponent exhausted. A clay court player that suffers in hard court against ball dashers like Petkovic, Groth etc... who can push her off the court but Morita is not of this type. In fact the japanese is quite fragile. I expect the romanian warrior to win in two tight sets. Martic is a very talented croatian player who has been strugling with injuries for the past couple of years. She looks now fit and healthy, not losing a set during the qualies. I cannot say much about Ferguson but she is not as powerful as the croatian. Martic should win in two...

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Meh, I got myself thinking again about going against Jankovic. She has been so bad lately it is impossible to back her and the odds look solid. But this is a Grand Slam and that only plays to her hands. Any opinions about that one? The handicap is +3.5/+4 if you are wondering, the outright is about 3.00.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) alexksandar dulgheru at 4-7 stan james to beat morita at 4-7 dulgheru is a classy opponent who plays very well in big games, is very match tough and has a plugging style that will seve to frustrate morita who has a fragile temperment , an awful record in grand slams and will likely be forced into mistakes as dulgheru makes her play one extra shot continuously

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) One small proposal, mainly to Atko as big boss of tennis topic. Couldn't we have separate W and M tour at least for Grand slams, it would be much easier to flow through with so many matches on schedule.. IMHO :ok

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Very late but I see no way that Millot can take a set off Melzer - to be fair I've not seen him play but I think he's over priced because he won a game last weekl....double it with no tie break in Rafa's match pays 1.75.....and that's where my early investment is