** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Just a quick live in play one for me. Sharapova -8.5 handicap- 10/11 Bet365 (6/10) Just taken the first set 6-1. So anything better than a 6-2 will do. Doubted her but her opponent has got a knee injury and can barely run but looks like she's continuing. Should be okay for Maria here.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January)

Just a quick live in play one for me. Sharapova -8.5 handicap- 10/11 Bet365 (6/10) Just taken the first set 6-1. So anything better than a 6-2 will do. Doubted her but her opponent has got a knee injury and can barely run but looks like she's continuing. Should be okay for Maria here.
Never say it's over till it's over for a bet, but yeah that's over. Horrible from Sharapova, as soon as I thought her serve was okay for a bit against what is an essentially handicaped opponent, she throws in another bunch of DF's. Oh well.

So far the tournament is great for live betting in my opinion. Unfortunately it is basically impossible to share opinions on those :\
'So far' lol, tournament only got under way a couple of hours ago :lol. On a side note, Brands couldn't force that tie break, Sharapova couldn't do the job so not the best of starts. Looking at the matches, some shocks already. De Bakker, Hanescu and Kubot all looking good.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) I regret taking the overs on Fish/Hanescu already...was thinking about the handicap, but then decided to pull the trigger. Hopefully Fish recovers after the first set. Edit: Not the livescore thread though, so I will stop commenting the matches here I guess :D. Anyway, Hradecka is the first victim of the WTA syndrome...4-2 up in the first, lost 4-6. 5-3 up in the second, lost 5-7. Talk about mental toughness.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) "Back Davydenko @ 130 >Betfair to Win Aussie Open 2011" Im speechless, losing to Mayer despite the German in decent touch was not expected at all! Think Davydenko is blacklisted until he goes deep in a slam again. US Open it was the return from injury but this is poor, from a solid showing in Doha to this. :@

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Could have been a great day with solid profit, but it ended with a loss somehow. Fish/Hanescu went over quite comfortably as Fish recovered from 0-2. :ok Lacko never had a chance, Federer wanted an easy win and got it. :@ Mahut had a very easy match, Dabul was never in it. :ok Groth missed some good chances to break in the decider and lost in the end :@ And the match that decided whether I will end in solid profit or in loss was Kamke-Kohli. Kamke went 2-0 up and had some early break chances in the third. How the heck did he lose in the end is beyond me. That was a 4.00 shot that should have definitely won :sad. And Henin thankfully through, I am sure she will improve, first matches can be tough (remember Nadal in Wimbledon this year? He was a set away from losing to both Petzschner and Haase). Edit: Did not find anything new for today, so I am only on Hewitt, Date and Schwank outrights. And Soderling too, although that is a long-shot outright winner tip.

im thinking of laying monfills against gill monfills must be tired from this 5 setter with the de bakker so ill wait till pinnacle give the handicap lines and then backing with handicap gill what do you think guys?
I would probably advise against that. Gil also had a mammoth match today, going 9-7 in the fifth with Cuevas. He is also an extremely average hard court player who was lucky to get an even worse one in the first round of the draw. Monfils should tear him up for toilet paper. He probably won't, but he ought to win. Would be a massive surprise if Gil prevailed.

WTA AO R1 Groth to beat Wickmayer @Pinnacle 2.050 LOSS WTA AO R1 Wozniacki vs Dulko: Dulko +6.5 @Pinnacle 1.935 WIN
Small loss today. Jarmila missed billions of breakpoints in the decider, so Yanina won despite caughing after each serve:sad

Looks an interesting draw to me but will wait for the handicaps before taking any match outrights to see where the best value lies. Taking my first one early though. Sergiy Stakhovsky vs Daniel Brands- Tie break to be played in match- Evens William Hill- (5/10) Both players involved had shocking results at the end of last season and Brands' poor form has continued into this year. Stakhovsky started this year okay, but the level of his opponents were hardly world class. This is shown through the man from Ukraine needing 2 tie breaks to beat Becker. I'm taking this bet on purely because of the German though. He seems to be one of those players, win or lose, in good form or bad, that will be involved in at least a couple of lenghy sets. If we look back to his last 2 slams, he was involved in 2 tie breaks in his defeat in the US open, and an incredible 8 in his matches at Wimbledon (at least 1 in each match) Stakhovsky is no stranger to the tie break form either which would indicate that a tie break could well be on the cards. They've played eachother twice before, where a tie break has been played in the first set on both ocassions. Decent price for the tie break here, considering the price for the overs is skinnier.
LOSS Risk didn't pay off on Brands. Lack of match practice meant he never really kept up with the Ukranian.

Few handicaps out and about now, and taken another early one. Yen-Hsun Lu vs Gilles Simon- Simon -6.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Happy to take this handicap early as the price is likely to fall rapidly. Simon as we've seen this week has had good practice and prep for the slam with the win in Sydney where he looked very solid and failing to drop a set. He actually played Lu in the first round there and beat him at the expence of 3 games. Even without the third set, the handicap was covered and Simon appeared to go from strength to strength as he played his next match finally rounding it off against a strong Troicki in the final. Simon missed the Aussie Open last year, so he will want to make amends this year and make up for lost time. Quick word about Lu, a very hot and cold player. Was beaten by a qualifier last time around down under, then was the suprise package in London by beating Roddick, and had some good results on the hard courts last year, but can't ignore the fact that Simon is a class above him, echoed by his 3-0 H2H record against him. 2 of those have actually been rather close but as shown last week, Simon is playing some good tennis at the minute and fancy him to win this with some style.
WIN Only win on first day, meaning with the Sharapova in play bet, loss but not a significant one. Really tough day to call the matches.

im thinking of laying monfills against gill monfills must be tired from this 5 setter with the de bakker so ill wait till pinnacle give the handicap lines and then backing with handicap gill what do you think guys?
But against Gil who played 3 qualification matches and a 5 setter against Cuevas I don't think Monfils is the one who is most tired. Gil will be quite tired and it means the handicap is probably a bad idea. Monfils should finish him quickly.

But against Gil who played a 5 setter against Cuevas I don't think Monfils is the one who is most tired. Gil will be quite tired and it means the handicap is probably a bad idea. Monfils should finish him quickly.
true i didn t think on it thanx:D

Roddick vs Hajek UNDER 28.5 games @ 8/11 (Bet365:4pts) Rezai vs Zahlavova Strycova OVER 21 AH games @ 1.909 (Pinnacle:4pts) Karlovic vs Dodig OVER 38.5 games @ 1.80 (Bet365:4pts). OVER 3.5 set Double Mannarino/Harrison & Fognini/Nishikori @ 2.410 (Bet365:2pts)
WIN WIN WIN LOSS Happy with that, good start.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Cheers Fishy. Gutted I missed the gift on overs in the Wickmayer/Groth match....3 setter all the way. I was put off by reports that Wick was sick in recent days. Usually would have gobbled that up. Not too many shocks it seems....Davydenko aside. Monfils and Kohli should be gone but their opponents choked.

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Del Potro -5 Vs. Sela (5 pts) 2.02 at pinnacle This is a very good price in my opinion. Del Potro is a way better player even when he is not playing in his best level. He has proven he is willing to fight (defeating Lopez 6/7 7/6 7/6 last week). Then he lost to mayer but the german is playing very well and delpo might have suffered the lack of rest between matches. After taking a break, i´m sure he won´t have problems defeating sela, a player that can´t serve at all and is worse in every single shot than the argentinian. Delpo might not be prepeared to play many matches in a row since he has played very few matches in the last year, but i don´t think he will have any problem here in 1st round. It should also be considered that Del Potro really likes playing Grand Slam events and has defeated players like Nadal and Federer in this kind of tourneys, while sela has not done anything at all compared to the argie. Fingers crossed my friends, it is good to be back! :hope

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) One more for the time being... - Denis Istomin -1.5 sets AH (vs Jan Hernych) @ 2.13 with 188bet (5/10) This is basically a bet on either Istomin to win 3-0 or 3-1. Recent stats don't really favour this bet - Hernych won their only meeting last year in Cincinnati and won his three qualies, while Istomin has started the season horribly - but I still think there is a big class difference between the two. Istomin really came on leaps and bounds last year. He's always been a crafty player who can bring power to the table but last year he found some consistency. He's an established Top 50 player now, despite a shaky start to the season, losing to Ebden and then being spanked by Seppi last week. This is a winnable tie though. Hernych is a Challenger player at best ranked outside the Top 200. He's 31 now, and his best days are behind him. He's played three matches through the qualies already and I expect a little bit of fatigue to creep in at some point in this match - he was taken to 10-8 by Roger-Vasselin in the opening session too. The odds are good because of Istomin's recent problems on court but he has a fair amount to play for here, having made R3 last year. He's a few notches above the Czech in terms of quality, and I expect him to pick up the winning touch in this one. I can only see Hernych taking at the most a set, but that's enough for this bet. Usually the recent form and stats would be enough to put me off but often it's best to go with your gut instinct, and for me that's a fairly routine Istomin win. :hope

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) One for round 2. Malisse -4.5 games vs Montanes @ 1.806 (Pinnacle:4pts) Think Malisse is good to cover this handicap.....he's in good form at the start of the year reaching final in Chennai, dispatched average Andujar in 3 sets last night. In general I think he's a level above Montanes on a hard surface. Montanes is consistent on the ground, moves well but he doesnt seem to be at his best right now and he needed 5 sets to beat Brown in rd1...his record at the AO is not the best either....4-9 record here and although he got to rd 3 last year he couldnt have asked for a better draw with Oscar Hernandez and Stephane Robert. Fancy Malisse to get the job done here. GL!

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) One for Round 2 as well, agree with IAG on Malisse line but the price is too short, in my opinion. I'd want a bit more juice. Perhaps it'll go out to -5 games and better odds will be offered. Anyway, here's what I'm on... - Tomas Berdych (vs Philipp Kohlschreiber) x Nicolas Almagro (vs Igor Andreev) @ 2.03 with Stan James (5/10) Think this double has a good chance of coming in. Kohlschreiber is a very lucky man to still be in this tournament. The German was on the brink of losing to his compatriot Kamke, being two sets down, but Kamke choked in a really ugly game of tennis. Berdych won't afford the same generosity. The Czech leads the H2H 4-1 and has all the weapons to break through Kohlshreiber. The German's game looks good on the eye but his beautiful backhand is loose and can't deal with power, which Berdych has, his forehand isn't consistent enough and his serve is really wavering at the moment. He's good enough to beat lesser ranked players but I can't see him taking out someone like Berdych, who isn't 100% yet but will have come on for the match against Crugnola. Almagro is perhaps the riskier of the two but I think he'll have enough to beat Andreev. The Russian leads the H2H 4-2 but most of those were on clay and the last meeting was in 2008, and Andreev is a totally different player now. He struggles with all facets of his game and had some hairy moments against Volandri, which he really shouldn't have had on a hard court. He's got the tools to be a very handy player but he goes missing for large chunks. Almagro isn't wholly at home on this surface but he's improving and did well to hold off Robert today, who played very well in stages after a good week of qualies. Almagro is at the height of his powers right now and made the R16 last year, so plenty to defend. Probably won't be routine but I expect to see the win next to Almagro's name. :hope

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Zvonareva vs Bammer: Bammer +1.5 set @Pinnacle 4,34 (1 unit) Although H2H is 4:0 for Vera, Vera always had problem to cope with Sybille in two sets (with the exception of the last encounter, which ended in the tie break in the second set - won by Vera 7-5). Sybille reached AO 2nd round last year and certainly will try not to sell herself cheap. Adding to this the recent serve problems of Zvonareva (last week loss in round 2 with Pennetta in Sydney), the odds above 4 is a must try. Stepanek vs Gremelmayr: under 35 games @Pinnacle 1,909 (2 units) Stepanek had good run two weeks ago in Brisbane (made it to semis where he lost with Soderling). He loves to play in Australia and finally he feels fit after last year's health problems. Denis Gremelmayr should not be a serious threat to him. The line is comfortably high and even allows a 4-setter like 6-3 6-2 2-6 6-3 if Stepanek decides to tank one set. GL :hope

Stepanek vs Gremelmayr: under 35 games @Pinnacle 1' date=909 (2 units) Stepanek had good run two weeks ago in Brisbane (made it to semis where he lost with Soderling). He loves to play in Australia and finally he feels fit after last year's health problems. Denis Gremelmayr should not be a serious threat to him. The line is comfortably high and even allows a 4-setter like 6-3 6-2 2-6 6-3 if Stepanek decides to tank one set. GL :hope
Quite like this bet mate. Not usually a backer of overs or unders anymore but this seems reasonable, and your reasoning is sound enough. Will definitely have a wee follow (3/10) - good luck :ok

Re: Tennis - The Australian Open (17-30 January) Struggling to see a whole lot for tonight, waiting on Vinci to complete a double with Stakhovsky from earlier. Quite like Zakapolova to beat Oudin, around 1.75. She beat her last week in Hobart as an underdog and is worthy fave IMO. Always a bit wary fading Oudin though, never know what you get with her. Might leave it, not sure.

Struggling to see a whole lot for tonight, waiting on Vinci to complete a double with Stakhovsky from earlier. Quite like Zakapolova to beat Oudin, around 1.75. She beat her last week in Hobart as an underdog and is worthy fave IMO. Always a bit wary fading Oudin though, never know what you get with her. Might leave it, not sure.
feck it...i'd say you should back her. i got her at 4-5. i think oudin is a good match up for her. zakopalova is confident and experienced now...oudin has been all over the shop for about 9 months now. zakopalova played the best tennis of her career since around the french open and especially wimbledon last year. She has a serious forehand down the line...she's the type of player that can appear to be playing passive in a ralley and then all of a sudden she can unleash a winner from nowhere. oudin prefers playing the consistent ballbasher type. Thats not to say that zakopalova doesnt make plenty of mistakes herself....her backhand can be vulnerable and her second serve is awful but i don't think oudin is the type of player that can really pounce on poor serving like a groth, petkovic and of course clijsters and venus can. i wouldnt put huge stakes on as you say....when oudin gets inspired she is very hard to beat but we've been waiting a long time for this inspiration to come now and the maths say the value is with zakopalova. don't shoot me if i persuade you and then oudin wins in straight sets though ...haha