** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Asian Cup

Re: Asian Cup

AUSTRALIA -2EH @ 5/6......PaddyP............I'm well aware of the unpredictability of football and the danger of everyone backing the favourites etc but I'm happy to take on a biggish handicap on the socceroos ranked 26th to beat India ranked joint 142nd today.Lets just talk about rankings for a start.India have been beaten in the last year or so by Yemen(126th),who put 6 past them and Hong Kong(146th) just to name two.They failed to beat the Maldives(162nd) and beat Nepal(172nd) and Banledesh(159th) both by a 1-0 scoreline. Today they will miss their playmaker and experienced skipper Bhutia and the in-form Sushil Singh is suspended.That leaves them with 2 recognized forwards Yadav and Chetri(Sporting Kansas city). They recently played UAE in a friendly and got thumped 5-0.The aussies drew 0-0 with the same gulf opposition without 5 of their key players who were rested. I'm afraid I can only see one winner today and I feel the margin could be quite large.I've looked at the different range of bets,like HT/FT and to win both halves etc but for now I'm happy to go 6/10 stakes on the the aussies to win by 3 or more.......
4-0,bet won and Cahill scores last as well......could've been a few more only for their goalkeeper....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Asian Cup Thinking of having a punt on UAE tommorow - I can't believe they are that long out against a North Korea side ranked below them in the world. UAE have plenty of experience in this tournament and although they have been poor for the last year, their recent results are showing they are getting it together defensively with four clean sheets out of the last six games. I can't help but think a lot of goodwill is being shown to the North Koreans on the basis of that spirited display against Brazil. Thoughts?

Event Iraq - Iran
Selection Iran
Strength 10/10
Date 11/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.29
Reasoning Explosive game in Asian Cup. The two teams are big rivals, due to the history of the two countries. I think we will have a open game, a derby game. Iraq was on 58th position on FIFA Ranking but they fall to 108th position due to the so many problems that affected the country. On 2007 they won the Asian Cup, but in three years many things changed. Iran is a good team that plays good football. I believe that Iran can fight for the title and they are better side than Iraq. They will make everything to start the tournament with a win over their big rivals.

Thinking of having a punt on UAE tommorow - I can't believe they are that long out against a North Korea side ranked below them in the world. UAE have plenty of experience in this tournament and although they have been poor for the last year, their recent results are showing they are getting it together defensively with four clean sheets out of the last six games. I can't help but think a lot of goodwill is being shown to the North Koreans on the basis of that spirited display against Brazil. Thoughts?
It's hard to say because North Korea don't appear to have played any games. I honestly have no idea what they'll be like. Might be worth a punt, but it would be a punt.

Re: Asian Cup hi all, im new here. Opinions only below. On the North Korea - UAE game, I feel that North Koreans are favored only because East Asian teams have shown a willingness to attack (think Japan/S. Korea, and maybe even China), where-as the middle eastern teams generally sit back to counter. Also, Bochum striker, Jong Tae-Se has gained quite a following since the World Cup, so it could also be part of the reason. I admit that i'm not too familiar with UAE, despite watching them in action before. Like the other middle-eastern teams, they play deep, relying on counter-attacks. I'll try my luck with Under 2 goals. I don't think either side can score more than 1 goal.

Re: Asian Cup For Iraq-UAE, again, i'm taking Under 2 goals. I agree that Iran is the favourite, but only slightly, so i'm not comfortable in giving the 0.5 handicap. Bear in mind, the latest result between this 2 teams ended 2-1 in favor of Iran. I'm taking this bet because I feel that with the history between the 2 sides, and this being their first match in the tournament, they will play very carefully to avoid any embarrassment. 0-0 is possible.

Re: Asian Cup Norht Korea - United Arab Emirates Selection Under 2.5 goals Strength 10/10 Date 11/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Betsson @ 1.52 Opening matches are in principle very hard and the teams are particulary careful in this matches. Especially in this game between Norht Korea & United Arab Emirates i expect a very tough match with less goals. That's why I opted for this option.

Re: Asian Cup Kuwait - Uzbekistan over 2.5 @ 2.16 pinnacle Kuwait may have lost 2-0 to China but they had their chances to score but like them to get at least one here against a Uzbeki defence that were somewhat fortunate not to concede in the 2-0 win over Qatar. Uzbekistan looked good going forward in the win over Qatar, and Kuwait showed that they too can be fragile at the back with some ordinary defending. Kuwait need a win so they will go for it, while Uzbekistan are looking for the win to see them through into the next round. Like goals to be score here Qatar - China over 2.5 @ 2.74 pinnacle Qatar were a bit unfortunate not to have scored against Uzbekistan in their 2-0 loss to them, and the home team will be looking to ensure they get the win here otherwise they are out of the tournament. China may be making some changes to their line up to rotate some of their players, which may give Qatar opportunities to score, as China looked pretty composed and structured at the back in their 2-0 win over Kuwait. Maybe some overconfidence from the Chinese if that is the case, which may give the Qataris a sniff at the goals. China will like their chances of scoring on Kuwait after seeing some of their defending, and with their advantage at the set pieces, figure they will have some chances to score themselves

Re: Asian Cup I watched the first round of games - can't understand the price on the Qatar. With only one game gone, qualification or elimination is not assured, therefore I don't see why players should be rested at this stage. China looked pretty good to me and have warmed up for the tournament with some good wins over European opposition. Against a similar standard of opposition to Kuwait, they have just a little extra quality I feel. Qatar have some good results too - beating Estonia and Egypt but in this direct match up, I would make China slim favourites with the advantage of already having a win under their belt.

Re: Asian Cup I was wrong about Qatar in the end, and I'm wondering if the same can be said about Saudi Arabia. They sacked their coach after the shock defeat in the first round match, and this is a game they really have to get something in. Anything other than a win is likely to send them out. Qatar showed a lot of urgency from the off, and I would expect the Saudis to be the same. Jordan will be missing their skipper Atel after injury in the first match. Despite Japan scoring a last-minute equaliser, I felt they were pretty weak down the flanks and potentially this is something to exploit. Gulf in class between the teams but this will be a Jordan side high in confidence, although I believe they will be looking not to lose as their first priority. It'll be interesting to see how they will cope with pressure from the off as Saudi have to go for it, I believe they'll win and odds of 1.8 are tempting enough.

Re: Asian Cup Jordan - Saudi Arabia under 2 @ 2.08 pinnacle Jordan played pretty well against Japan and were unlucky not to the win as they conceded a very late equaliser to them. No reason to suggest they cannot do a similar performance here against a Saudi Arabian side that lost 2-1 to Syria and just sacked their coach. While SA have a good squad of players, they will be playing with plenty of pressure and would not be surprised they struggle again to play the way they can. If they do score, doubt that they will look for the second given that they need a win, and will be looking to keep out the Jordanians. Japan - Syria under 2.5 @ 2.10 pinnacle Japan found it difficult to break down Syria a few days ago, and it does not get any easier here, as the Syrians showed with their win over Saudi Arabia that they are a decent side. Also like the Japanese to keep things much tighter at the back than how Saudi Arabia were against Syria as it seemed they did not give them much respect at all. The Japanese will be much more wary of them, so like this to be a low scoring game

Re: Asian Cup Bet on unders initially then took insurance for overs @ 4.5 10 seconds later the first penalty came And then the next Thank god for in play markets... -------------------------- Still unders seemed like the correct call - one penalty shouldnt have been given and the second probably came off the back of the first. Congrats bacardirun

Re: Asian Cup Cheers :ok

Bet on unders initially then took insurance for overs @ 4.5 10 seconds later the first penalty came And then the next Thank god for in play markets... -------------------------- Still unders seemed like the correct call - one penalty shouldnt have been given and the second probably came off the back of the first. Congrats bacardirun

Re: Asian Cup i find this Asian cup so low in quality for now, low tempo, many passing, defending, goalkeeping mistakes, with so little players that can make a difference...knowing that there is always a chance for organized teams to get some result in the end and i know Jordan was called somewhat outsider for this tournament, but there organized play impressed me pretty much knowing that they don't have the talent to play otherwise... The other two teams that shows promise are U.A.E, with great possesion footbal, lovely passing, but they just couldn't convert against DPR Korea, i'm waiting to see what can they show us for the second game...the other team that i like is South Korea, which is similar to U.A.E but with better players in some areas of the team, Lee of Bolton is just outstanding and i hope that 18 year old Hamburg player Heung Son Min will get more minutes in next games as he surely is one to watch for the future... I'm waiting to see what can Australia offer today against serious opponent as India is just terrible.... For todays game i like South Korea over Australia, because they're much more energetic, faster and better technicians than Aussie boys, only think that concerns me is that Koreans can be "bullied" from the pitch as Australians are much stronger and more experienced than South Koreans For the second game i'm expecting easy win for Bahrain, because i rate India two levels lower than any other nation in this cup...it shoudn't be so easy but Bahrain needs the win to keep hope alive into progressing to the next round and have the better quality, but i don't expect any thrashing...2,3, or 4 goals for Bahrain would suffice.

Friday 14 January 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Australia v South Korea (13:15 GMT) 2.7 3.25 3.05 100.59 %
maximize.gif Bahrain v India (16:15 GMT) 1.17 9.6 23 100.23 %
Saturday 15 January 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Iran v Korea DPR (13:15 GMT) 1.9 3.56 4.8 101.30 %
maximize.gif United Arab Emirates v Iraq (16:15 GMT) 3.2 3.28 2.52 101.42 %
Sunday 16 January 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif China v Uzbekistan (16:15 GMT) 2.7 3.3 2.84 102.55 %
maximize.gif Qatar v Kuwait (16:15 GMT) 1.72 4 6.4 98.52 %
Monday 17 January 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Jordan v Syria (13:15 GMT) 2.7 3.25 2.5 107.81 %
maximize.gif Saudi Arabia v Japan (13:15 GMT) 6.5 3.6 1.5 109.83 %

Re: Asian Cup Punting-wise I've had a poor tournament but I am enjoying watching it. Saudi Arabia yesterday was a shocker, but many sides have come to defend and make the most of limited talent, and who can blame them, really? Should be the best game on paper today as Australia take on South Korea, although there was little insight got from the first game against India, I can't help feeling that the pace and tricky of the Koreans will create problems for the likes of Lucas Neill and Ognenovski, both of which I believe aren't the fastest. With players such as Ji-Sung Park and Chung-Yong Lee, you would fancy them if they got 1 v 1 with the full back, I would say they have the better quality here. I do see both sides scoring here. Australia will have one eye on the last game against Bahrain, mindful that they lost 3-0 to Egypt and drew 0-0 to the UAE. Qualification is more or less assured for the Koreans as they have India in the last game. Australia are favourites here, which I don't accept. I believe they won't commit too much forward initially for fear of the counter. Whilst I can see the Koreans playing a disciplined game and pressing for mistakes from the Australians, which I can see happening.

For todays game i like South Korea over Australia' date=' because they're much more energetic, faster and better technicians than Aussie boys, only think that concerns me is that Koreans can be "bullied" from the pitch as Australians are much stronger and more experienced than South Koreans[/quote'] Good insight Simao :clap Australia - South Korea over 2.5 @ 2.68 pinnacle Australia look to be much more physical against South Korea using their height and strength to their advantage. SK has much more speed in their game, and they will look to beat the Australian defence that does lack some pace. With SK missing defender Kwak Tae-hwi, it gives Australia even more opportunity to score from set pieces, while expect SK to target Australia down the flanks and create chances from there. Like goals to be scored here

Good insight Simao :clap Australia - South Korea over 2.5 @ 2.68 pinnacle Australia look to be much more physical against South Korea using their height and strength to their advantage. SK has much more speed in their game, and they will look to beat the Australian defence that does lack some pace. With SK missing defender Kwak Tae-hwi, it gives Australia even more opportunity to score from set pieces, while expect SK to target Australia down the flanks and create chances from there. Like goals to be scored here
Not convinced there will be a lot of goals, I think it's likely to be a low-scoring defensive game, with both sides set to qualify comfortably and more worried about not losing than winning.