** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Franklin Templeton Shootout

RussP

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Hyundai Tournament of Champions Taking 2 here. A word of warning to all those Ogilvy backers, he ain't certain to play. He's cut his finger, withdrawn from the pro-am and rumours suggest he may tee off and then retire:ok E.Els to win Hyundai ToC 1pt EW @ 10/1 Betfred (1/4 odds 1-4) Massive chance for the Big Easy here. Firstly, he's in superb form winning the SA Open when last seen back in December. Won't be rusty at all and that will surely be a big advantage and coupled with the fact he's in top form, he's a must bet. Looked hot with the putter back in South Africa and that's another bonus here where you need to score well to feature. Add to that his excellent record here; he's won once, runner up once and a couple of 3rd's in his 8 starts. If his main market rival Ogilvy is unfit, then the 10's looks a great price especially as the next few in the betting haven't played a whole lot of golf recently. Z.Johnson to win Hyundai ToC 0.75pts EW @ 33/1 SportingBet (1/4 odds 1-4) My longer priced selection here is Zach Johnson, a player I really rate. Had a 6th place finish here a couple of years ago and has plenty of course experience. Isn't the longest hitter in the world but he is straight. The fairways are reasonably wide here but you can hit trouble so his accuracy is a bonus and he's still long enough to reach those par 5's. The thing that attracts me to Zach here is his excellent putting last year on Tour. He was ranked 6th for putting and if he can bring his form with the short stick here, he's got a top chance. He finished last season off very well with top 15 finishes in each of the last 4 events and at 33's, I'll take a chance on him continuing in a similar vein.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Hyundai Tournament of Champions Yeah the bird who presents the golf said he may tee off just to get 34th place prize money but I can't see why he would do that, if he aint 100% he better not tee off so get a refund!!! G Ogilvy 10/1 E/W SportingBet Any 2 time defending champion of a 34 man field event should be shorter than 10/1 even with suspect injury, also considering the fact Ogilvys 2 most recent starts in Australia towards end of 2010 reads a win in the Australian Open & a 2nd place finish losing a playoff so hes bang in form, loves this course alot B Watson 40/1 E/W Stan James Hasn't played this course before, but its strongly suited to the big hitters & Bubba must come into the reckoning becuase of this, a few short par 4s on this course, every par 5 is reachable except the last par 5 & accuracy isnt important as the fairways are very wide so he can give it large with the driver & will only need short wedges into alot of the holes R Garrigus 100/1 E/W Stan James A speculative choice here at a big price, Garrigus won on the final pga tour event of 2010 in Disney, he is the pga tours longest driver officially in 2010 & has impressive GIR with 67.61%, remember this is the guy who led by 3 over Westwood with 1 to play week before us open & blew it so he is a class player, this course seems like its going to play to his strengths.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Hyundai Tournament of Champions

R Garrigus 100/1 E/W Stan James A speculative choice here at a big price, Garrigus won on the final pga tour event of 2010 in Disney, he is the pga tours longest driver officially in 2010 & has impressive GIR with 67.61%, remember this is the guy who led by 3 over Westwood with 1 to play week before us open & blew it so he is a class player, this course seems like its going to play to his strengths.
Top pick mate, leader at halfway. Hope he clings on for a place, beaten by Ernie;)

Top pick mate' date=' leader at halfway. Hope he clings on for a place, beaten by Ernie;)[/quote'] Joint leader with Stricker & Byrd after 54 holes :loon despite being +3 through 2 yesterday he managed to get -4 round including 50ft eagle putt at last, still a chance of the win!!!

Joint leader with Stricker & Byrd after 54 holes :loon despite being +3 through 2 yesterday he managed to get -4 round including 50ft eagle putt at last' date=' still a chance of the win!!![/quote'] My 2 are well out of contention in this. Gawon the Garrigus! Cheering him home for you mate:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Hyundai Tournament of Champions Garrigus is joint leader in the clubhouse...byrd has gotta birdy the last to win...otherwise play-off....Garrigus made a stunning 2nd shot on the 18th to set up an eagle chance that would have given him the outright lead...but he missed it and just got the birdy...good luck to you cosmetic bob...

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open kev when my post was posted last nite,there was no mention of the sony open.the other golf threads were the africian open and the hyundi open.i guess you take a look before opening your mouth when in the wrong.had i seen the sony open thread posted i dont think i would have been so stupid to start another thread on the same event.....:ok

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open

kev when my post was posted last nite' date='there was no mention of the sony open.the other golf threads were the africian open and the hyundi open.i guess you take a look before opening your mouth when in the wrong.had i seen the sony open thread posted i dont think i would have been so stupid to start another thread on the same event.....:ok[/quote'] Be very careful with the way you talk to people:ok We operate one thread for each tour only and update the title on a weekly basis so Kev is actually correct. Maybe an apology from you?

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open when i want or need your advice il ask for it,if youve a problem with how you talk or approach people get advice on it.when this dosent concern you dont butt in either.as i said above when i posted the thread you had no thread for the sony open,either you update your golf threads earlier,are dont be commenting on something that dosent concern you.i hope you find that apology up to your standards.:ok

when i want or need your advice il ask for it' date='if youve a problem with how you talk or approach people get advice on it.when this dosent concern you dont butt in either.as i said above when i posted the thread you had no thread for the sony open,either you update your golf threads earlier,are dont be commenting on something that dosent concern you.i hope you find that apology up to your standards.:ok[/quote'] Eamonn, Like you I'm new to the site but i have looked around alot of the threads an see that some of the older member simply point out the way things work to the new guys! Plus if u havnt noticed this is a Forum and anyone is entitled to comment on what they like, so nobody is butting in! :welcome LOL!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open all i done was post a thread mate,kev butted in a said there is already a post for the sony open,there was no post until i posted it.so you say russ asking me for an apology is not butting in,get a life and look up the english dictionary and find out the meaning of the word to butt in.dont be cocky either dessie or this will happen to you not the wall:wall :welcome dessie enjoy punters lounge....

kev when my post was posted last nite' date='there was no mention of the sony open.the other golf threads were the africian open and the hyundi open.i guess you take a look before opening your mouth when in the wrong.had i seen the sony open thread posted i dont think i would have been so stupid to start another thread on the same event.....:ok[/quote']

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open STEVE STRICKER 9/1 E/W Paddy Power Has a great record in this event, finished a very close 3rd last year despite a poor front 9 on the opening day, 4th in 08, 4th in 07, how can you ignore him, also tied 4th last week & due to hes previous record he knows how to handle the wind on this links course & comes from a cold part of usa in Wisconsin. JOHN SENDEN 66/1 E/W Paddy Power Has made his last 6 cuts on the pga tour, 5 of them in the top 12 so he ended last season on a consistant high, ain't the hottest putter as he averages over 30 a round, but is consistant tee to green which is what you need this week, he leads GIR stats on tour with 72.49% & he knows how to play in this forecast wind as aussies are brought up on it, had a couple of top 25 finishes here in the past so could go well! Last but not least!!! ROBERT GARRIGUS 66/1 E/W Paddy Power Huge price still considering he has won & finished 2nd on his two most previous starts, he said after last round last week he took alot of confidence after it, four excellent rounds with -4 being his worst, he shot that twice, 1 of those he was +3 through 2. He hit 91% of the greens last week he was on fire tee to green!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open I'm not a big tipper of any sport, let alone golf but one player ticks my required 3 boxes this week! C.Petterson - 1pt ew Sony Open outright - Various Bookies - (1-5,1/4) I don't do as much research as some of the excellent regular posters on here, but the 3 points that make me pick him are: Current form - 4th last week in Hawaii Course form - 4th here last year in this tournament Proven winner - Not essential otherwise we would never have first time winners but knowing my man can get over the finish line fills me with confidence and at last years Canadian open at the end of July he did exactly that! :hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open 2 pts win Steve Stricker to win Sony Open @ 9/1 Generally Not much excitement to this pick, but with Stricker, I feel he's the type of player that is worth backing when its logical to do so. In many ways, last year was a breakthrough year for Stricker. He recorded 2 very solid wins, and overall, played solid golf. He looked to have picked up where he left off last week, just failing to close out his performance with a poor final round. However, that outing will have blown away the cobwebs, and he comes here as my favourite to win this. In the last 4 years, his form at Waialae reads: 4-4-23-3, and he's not averse to knocking in a low round around here. If he's up there after the first couple of rounds, I have no doubt he will be right in the mix again. 1.5 pts ew Steve Marino to win Sony Open @ 50/1 Generally Steve Marino is a strong outside contender for me here. I have no doubt that this guy has ability, but 2010 was an extremely disappointing year after a good 08 and 09, followed by a good start in 2010. I am hoping he can replicate his good start to the season, and hopefully for his sake, he can take the form into some of the more valuable tournaments later on in the year. His record at Waialae reads 4-7 in only 2 attempts round the course. In 2008, he was up there all the way before just dropping out of it on the final day. A respectable performance, and he then followed that up when hitting a final round 66 to take 7th on the final day in 2009. He missed the tournament last year, but I think he's more than entitled to go close here again, and 50/1 is too big.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open With the delayed start I'm going to take one in this event. 0.5pts ew A.Baddeley to win Sony Open 135/1 Stan James (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) 0.5pts ew A.Baddeley First Round Leader 110/1 Stan James (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) With the Waialae golf club under water yesterday it's fair to say there's not going to be much run on the fairways off the tee. Therefore having originally thought about following shorter hitters this week I'm going to go for a longer hitter of the ball as the course is bound to play a bit longer for the opening couple of rounds at least. Aaron Baddeley was 14th in driving distance on tour last year and he's the one I'm going with this week. He's been 2nd to Els in this tournament in the past and generally Aussies go well on these courses in Hawaii. He's out in the very first group on Friday so he'll get the best of the conditions early doors before the greens and fairways cut up a bit with spike marks. The Australian has had a couple of lean seasons but he's made a lot of cuts over the last two years without getting into contention. Having gone well here in the past he may well be inspired into another good performance and so at these prices I'll take the chance that he can take advantage of his length off the tee and the best of the conditions to challenge at the end of today and keep himself in the mix through until Sunday.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open Good luck Stew with Marino:hope. 2 rounds to be played today and I'll take 2 at big EW prices. J.Overton to win Sony Open, 0.5pts EW @ 66/1 Skybet Overton was one of the stars of last year's tour and finished inside the Top 12 on the money list despite not winning an event. Did come very close though. He's started this week well, is T20 just 3 shots off the places and it could have been even better. Hit 4 birdies and a bogey in the Round 1, followed by 5 birdies, a bogey and a double yesterday. If he can keep those bogeys off the card, he'll go well. Key here is accuracy tee to green as we have narrow fairways so his T14 for driving accuracy and T2 for GIR add weight to his claims. When I see prices of 25/1 on Stricker 1 shot behind Overton, and Els at 16's tied with Overton, then 66's is an insult. R.Sabbatini to win Sony Open, 0.5pts EW @ 66/1 Bet365 Similar comments apply to Rory as those about Overton. Is also on -5 (T20). Improved massively on -1 1st round by shooting 66 yesterday, where he fired in 6 birdies. Was excellent tee to green in round 1 and superb on the short stuff yesterday. If he can combine those 2 elements today and get into an earlier rhythm, I'm really confident he'll make strides up the leaderboard. Has got form in Hawaii too, finished 2nd here in 2008 and was 2nd in the ToC last year when coming from way off the pace shooting a 63 in the final round. A big price, must have a great shout.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open My first post on any of the Golf threads, must say I'm very impressed with the quality of the posts, and also the generally friendly atmosphere. I don't normally get involved in Golf as it seems so hard to call, but the below bet seems worth a punt at small stakes. S. Stricker to win Sony Open, 2pts @ 37/1 Betfair Can't really add much to what Cosmetic Bob had to say about Stricker earlier in this thread, and his observations only add to the main reason I want to take this bet. This is all to do with the fact that the last two rounds will be played on the final day. I remember a tournament last year on the PGA Tour where Stricker came from behind to win in similar circumstances. He shot two great rounds back to back if I remember rightly, and this shows to me that he is entirely comfortable playing 36 holes in one day. Could have taken him EW, but I think the odds for that are quite skinny. As I mentioned earlier, small stakes definitely the order of the day, but worth a shot IMO. :hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Sony Open Thanks Russ. Good luck with those 2, both very interesting and generously priced. Personally, I'm going to add a couple of savers on those I deem the main dangers to Marino. Appleby is obviously a big threat, but is short enough at 4/1. 0.75 pt ew Chad Campbell to win Sony Open @ 25/1 Generally Campbell was tipped up by many prior to the tournament, and is still there with a strong chance. He has shown previously he is capable of shooting low at this course, and isnt far off the pace on -6. Two 67's so far, but I thought he could have gone a couple better yesterday. If he can get a couple of blue scores on the board early, I think he could be right in contention come the final round. 0.75 pt win Justin Rose to win Sony Open @ 9/1 Generally Nice to see Justin up there in America again, and I deem him a massive threat if he can hold it together come the closing stretch. My one issue with Rose is his ability to close out tournaments, but there is no doubting his ability as a golfer. On -7, he is only 3 off the pace, and it wouldnt surprise me to see him in the top 3 or 4 as they head out for their 2nd 18. :ok