** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Franklin Templeton Shootout

RussP

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Accenture Matchplay I can't find a bet in the Matchplay so will be cheering 40/1 shot Donald for PL followers:hope. Good luck Kev. Having looked at the Mayakoba Classic, I think there's some final round value so am taking 4 at big prices. Mayakoba Classic Outright The final round sees the top 19 separated by just 4 shots so this really is anyone's event. As a 'secondary' event, we're not really blessed with the top players and therefore there's plenty of players not used to winning. This suggests that we should steer away from those in the final couple of groups and look for players who could post a clubhouse score. Key stats at this track are away from the carpet and it's the ability to play well tee to green, something that will be even more important in this pressure filled final round. Therefore, I've decided to go with 4 players who have excellent tee to green this week and all sit -9 or -10, with the lead at -13 and 3rd/4th place at -11. A good start for any of the selections will see odds drop dramatically and I think a 'back to lay' strategy could come into play tonight. All 4 players sit inside the top 20 for both driving accuracy and GIR, so the bets are: J.Quinney, 1pt EW @ 28/1 Bet365 (1/5 odds 1,2,3,4) B.Baird, 1pt EW @ 25/1 Boylesports (1/5 odds 1,2,3,4) C.Howell III, 1pt EW @ 28/1 William Hill (1/5 odds 1,2,3,4) K.Jones, 1pt EW @ 55/1 Bet365 (1/5 odds 1,2,3,4)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Accenture Matchplay Sport Golf Event Donald v Kaymer Selection Donald Strength 10/10 Date 27/02/2011 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.00 Reasoning Quite like Donald here, although it's a tough match. He's playing extremely well this week and on form he's the choice. Kaymer is top quality and just become world number 1 after his semi win. Perhaps a little let down after acheiving that, wouldn't be a surprise. This should be good to watch, but I'll take Donald to get the job done.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Accenture Matchplay +15.66 after Watson's routine win over Holmes :lol. One for today to compliment the Donald pick. 4pts B.Watson to beat M.Kuchar Evs VC Match tees off at 19.05 GMT. Bubba Watson's been brilliant most of this week. Ok he tired towards the end of the semi final but that's understandable given what had gone before. Today is a new day and his length could just kill Kuch here. Kuch had a bit of a shocker against Donald who had him under all sorts of pressure with birdies in the opening 5-6 holes and Bubba's going to have him under that sort of pressure with his length on the opening 6-7 holes. Kuch is a fantastic putter and entitled to go well in matchplay on most courses but on this one against this sort of power I don't think it's to be. I very much think Bubba wins this but of could motivation could be an issue hence the smaller 4pt stake.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Accenture Matchplay Well done to the Donald backers on here, he look assured all week and looked a good bet a long way out! Managed to get on at 10s on Friday afternoon so pleased myself! If Buba had have played any golf today he would have beaten Kuchar i feel!:ok

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Accenture Matchplay Bit pissed with the amount i lost on Kaymer. Should have perhaps kept the stakes down considering how tough a match it was to call but nevermind. Great shout kev, especially with it being your only outright. :clap And Crouch's pick Briny Baird @ 125's deserves a mention. Unlucky being only 1 shot away from the full e/w payout, but still a return and a very good call nonetheless.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Accenture Matchplay

Cheers guys. +61.66 for the week for me. Now, who do I contact on the PGA Tour to get matchplay tournaments staged every week :loon.
I'm gutted... :( Usually follow Kev like a bad smell... his tips anyway... not stalking just yet.... but for some reason I thought I'd try and think for myself.... proof if needed... it doesn't pay... :spank:wall Congrats though mate.... its like youve got a crystal ball sometimes! A few good place picks on the Mayakoba as well... unlucky with Lyle, Hornet... one more birdie over the week wouldve made for a tasty EW payout.... unfortunate to settle for a 6 way tie for 5th! Having said that, I think it was only a bogey in the last group from Gates that snuck him into 5th! Cest la vie... onto next week!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic A few for me in the Honda Classic. Mostly going off course form here. Robert Allenby @ 34 Sportingbet 3x Top 5 finishes in his past 4 outings in this tournament. Has had a full week's rest after an early matchplay loss and should enjoy playing a course where he's had strong success. Frederik Jacobson @ 67 Sportingbet Put together a couple of really strong rounds last weekend but not the full four day effort. He's got a 6th and a 5th in his last two outings in this event and I like the combination of his promising form and a venue where he's had some success.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic One so far for me at the Honda Classic. 4 of Europe's finest dominate the top of the market for this tournament. Which might mean a bit of value in backing a homeboy. One "good ol' american" is Brett Wetterich. The original JB, has been showing glimpses of his mid 90's form since returning from injury. He finished in a solid T13 last time out in Mexico, and only a poor final round sent him tumbling down the field in Phoenix. He still hits it miles, and whilst his driving accuracy can be iffy, his iron play from 150-200 yrds is superb. Ranked 1st between 150-175, he is 3rd at 175-200. I have secured 200/1 (still around with Extrabet and BWin), and also backed him Top10 and Top5 on Betfair, it is speculative but I think the books that have him around 125 are more appropiate to his chance. 200's just too big....

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic DA Points - top ten finish @ 8.0 Betfair DA Points is a bit of journeyman golfer but he's now got a PGA Tour win on his cv and he should be full of confidence after winning the Pebble Beach Pro-Am 3 weeks ago. You need to be accurate to do well around this course, Points is 12th on the total driving stats and 24th on GIR, indeed he's well up on the stats in all the rankings (1st on the all-round ranking) He's also got form here after finishing 9th in 2009.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Seems like I'll be jumping on some band wagons...but I did actually place the bets Monday night (so early that I was on Ben Crane before he withdrew!!). I looked for a pattern for the winner and the only thing I could find was that none of them had missed a cut by the time they came to this tournament, and Villegas (university), Els (home), and Yang (coach) all had links to Flordia so I am going to stick to that general theme. Vijay Singh @ 22 ew BlueSq - (I took him at 28s so wouldnt be happy to go any lower than the 22s on offer) Singh has playing great this year and said that it was the best putting performance of his life a couple of weeks ago...if true these odds look fantastic. He has played here once and finished in the top 5. He has made all 5 cuts this year - with two top 3s in his last 3 tournaments. Additionally, he lives in Florida. Should have a good chance this week and I feel has just as good credentials as many at the top of the market. Jeff Overton @ 81 ew Bet365 Big price on someone who was playing in the Ryder Cup just a few months ago. Shaky in contention but he will still give a very tasty ew payout! Without shining he has quietly made all 4 cuts this year in stroke play events and has a top 10 here already from 2009. Made the top 3 five times last year so clearly has the game to win on the PGA Tour and at this price I'm happy to keep him on side. Brett Wetterich @ 151 ew Bet365 Much like Elcaker, I took the early 200s on offer, however, I feel he's still worth keeping on side at this price. A very streaky player but played well last week with 4 rounds in the 60s in Mexico, and has a top 10 here from 2007 so knows how to play the course. He lives in Florida and also has a 2nd at Doral so clearly knows how to play in the area; at this price, he's worth a dabble but I wouldnt go putting the mortgage on him! Jimmy Walker @ 67 ew ToteSport Cracking bet for me. Walker lives in Texas so deals well with the wind but actually studied here in Flordia so should have decent local knowledge. Doesnt have a great record here but has thrown in a few goods rounds of 66 last year and 67 in 2008. More to the point, however, he believes he is playing better than ever and has shown that with 5 made cuts including 3 top 10s (two top 5s). This is a very good price on a guy in excellent form. DA Points @ 71 ew Bet365 The one guy who goes against the no missed cuts rule, however, as it was after his maiden win I'll forgive him. As mentioned by Dougal, he is currently top of the All Around Rankings and has a win and another top 5 to his name in 5 starts this year. Finished top 10 here in 2009 where only a 3rd round 74 kept him out of the mix. Lives in Florida so will be used to the conditions and has local connections. GL:ok

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Another long shot pick for me.... It seems that a long forgotten force in the golfing world is Trevor Immelman. Since his victory at Augusta the South African hasn't really threatened with any consistency however word from his coach David Leadbetter is that he is swinging the club as well as he ever has and he has improved on each start this season. At the AT&T he was going along quite nicely before a final round snowman (80) put paid to any hopes of decent finish. A week later around Hogan's Alley, a real shotmakers course, he returns a very respectable T29th again not helped by a poorish final round. His gradual improvement is obvious, and it would appear he is very much trying to get his game in shape for The Masters, but I wouldn't be shocked if he steps up again, a top 5 place is a possible.... 150's with SJ 1pt e/w Two more players at shorter odds...I was all over YE YANG last week and truly began to believe I was onto something as he headed into his q-f match with Kuchar. Obviously things weren't to be but the Korean played very well in the desert and he earned a T5. In Phoenix, a tournament he had done well in before, he finished T8. The Honda was Yang's first PGA Tour victory back in 2009 and it would appear he likes returning to venue's he played well before. He did miss the cut last year after an opening round 79, but he fought hard and followed up with a 70. Swinging very well, I like his chances. 40's widely available 1pt e/w Top Rest of World market 2pts e/w @ 8's Paddy Power (1/5 odds top 4) Final pick is an Aussie who hasnt won on Tour for 10 years.....however that's offset by a very fine record at this tournament. He had 3 straight top 5 finishes between 2007-'09. An excellent shotmaker, Robert Allenby played quite magnificently at Riveira when he finished 4th, 2 starts ago. I wouldn't want to go overboard on a player who evidently struggles to finish off tournaments, but BET£3.65's standout 33's must be taken. 0.5 e/w 33's (1/4odds top 5)

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Just seen Immelman is 9's with Coral's to be top South Africa. He's up against Els (6/4), Schwartzel (5/2), Sabbatini (4's) and Ooooooooosterhuizen (5's). I'm not convinced by Ernie's form at present, he looked pretty uninterested at WGC. Obviously a strong case can be made for any of the next 3 in the market but this will be Schwartzel's first strokeplay tournament on the PGa Tour this year and his PGA National debut. Oooooosterhuizen is another playing the tournament for the 1st time, whilst Sabbatini has been on the go all year and this will be his 8th straight playing week. It would be wrong to suggest he's suffering any obvious effects, afterall he's just finioshed 5th in Mexico, however it will start to catch up eventually and he did miss the cut at Riviera in his penultimate start. Incredibly it is Rory's first start in the Honda since 2004. Immelman, whilst not having a great record at the tournament has at least played in it 3 times and I have to think that 9's is just too big to beat such a select field. Top South Africa 9's with Corals

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Two more: Charlie Wi @ 140 Betfair Two top 10's in his last 2 tournaments here and a T13 a couple years before that. At these odds I'm happy to have a small nibble. Camillo Villegas @ 80 Betfair He's coming back from injury so that might explain the odds here, but his record here reads well. Won last year and a T2 a few years before that. Very much a streaky player but that's okay. If your selection goes well you want it to be really hot, and if he doesn't what's it matter how much he sucked by?

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Mark Calcavecchia @ 600 Couples and Cook showed that the oldies can still compete at this level. The wind could be a real leveller on this tough track. Calcs has some form here T4 in 2008, performs well in Florida & he'll handle the windy conditions.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Hi i am new to this section. I am prone to the odd golf bet so ill just give my own personaly opinion.... I am of the opinion Graeme McDowell will put in a very bold display this weekend. This course is not made for the long-hitters (usually) and more for a very accurate player who has a very good short-game. There are 10 par 4's on this course, more than the usual 8 so that should play to McDowell's strengths who is usually formidable over the past year or so on par 4's.. 10 Points e/w @ 15/1 (Boylesports) My longshot bet for this weekend is Mike Connell who i feel is drastically overpriced. There are not too many players in this field who have a stroke average in the 60's and this man is one of them, who has a 69-odd stroke average. Also this man finished a very respectable 6th in this tournament last season, this term has played well , has a few top 20's and has a decent place chance in my opinion if his game is up to scratch. 2 Points e/w @ 250/1 (Betfred) Best of Luck all!! :beer

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic

Hi i am new to this section. I am prone to the odd golf bet so ill just give my own personaly opinion.... I am of the opinion Graeme McDowell will put in a very bold display this weekend. This course is not made for the long-hitters (usually) and more for a very accurate player who has a very good short-game. There are 10 par 4's on this course, more than the usual 8 so that should play to McDowell's strengths who is usually formidable over the past year or so on par 4's.. 10 Points e/w @ 16/1 (Extrabet) My longshot bet for this weekend is Mike Connell who i feel is drastically overpriced. There are not too many players in this field who have a stroke average in the 60's and this man is one of them, who has a 69-odd stroke average. Also this man finished a very respectable 6th in this tournament last season, this term has played well , has a few top 20's and has a decent place chance in my opinion if his game is up to scratch. 2 Points e/w @ 200/1 (Bwin) Best of Luck all!! :beer
Hi mate Extrabet definitely are not offering E/W. I haven't checked the Bwin market yet. Whether or not you have backed yourself is irrellevant, but would be helpful if you could ensure a bet is available prior to posting.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic

Hi mate Extrabet definitely are not offering E/W. I haven't checked the Bwin market yet. Whether or not you have backed yourself is irrellevant, but would be helpful if you could ensure a bet is available prior to posting.
Hi mate, i have the bets on from my local bookies since yesterday morning, i dont know what prices they use as they are a small private bookie but i got 16/1 on McDowell and 200/1 on Connell for my money. I didnt want to quote 16/1 and 200/1 from my local bookie , i dont have the bets on with Bwin and Extrabet i never knew they did not do e/w.. I will change the prices mate for the purpose of the thread, thanks for the heads-up.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Incredibly tough day. I think if you're at +3 or better after round 1 you're still in the hunt. I like the look of Derek Lamely who studied in Florida. He made the cut here last year but struggled on the weekend but yet again he's started well with a 72 having hit the most greens on day 1. He won last year in Puerto Rico and the year before on the Nationwide Tour so knows how to finish it off. I think his odd of 150s @ PP look a bit on the large side. GL :ok

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic After the disappointment of Overton finished 6th last week, I thought I'd get a couple of early bets on the WGC event which I think will be my only ones until the Puerto Rico odds come out. 17 of the last 19 winners at Doral have had a top 10 previously (1 of the other 2 had a top 15 there) so course form counts here. Additionally, since this has turned into a WGC event in 2007, it has been won by 4 major winners (Woods, Ogilvy, Mickelson, Els) so class clearly counts in this limited field. Jim Furyk @ 51 ew BoyleSports Jim Furyk fits the trends here. Jim Furyk has plenty of top 10s here with a win here in 2000 and two top 3s in the last 3 years. Furyk is also a major winner having won the US Open in 2003 so again fits the trend here. He also has a good record on the East Coast having won the Transitions Champs last year in Florida - one of his 3 wins on the way to FedEx Cup glory. He has started the season off in solid, if unspectacular, fashion with a Top 10 in the Tournament of Champions and T35 in the Northern Trust Open. It doesnt worry me, however, as his form is generally not as good on the West Coast and at 50s, I'm thinking a three time winner in 2010 and a course winner looks like a good bet. Retief Goosen Top 10 @ 5.5 Skybet Retief Goosen is another who fits the trends; like Furyk he has won the US Open (twice) and has a great record here (with four top 15s in his last seven visits here). The thing about Goosen, however, is that he doesnt really win anymore - just two wins in the last 5 years prove this...but one of these was actually in Flordia which bodes well! The fact that he's still in the top 20 in the world rankings shows his consistency and that is where this bet lies. In his last 39 tournaments, he has finished in the top 10, 19 times which says to me that odds of over 4/1 are on the big side. Mark Wilson @ 126 ew ToteSport Mark Wilson doesnt have a top 10 on the course; however, he has only played it 3 times and has never finished outside the top 25 which shows he likes the course. He has further shown his like for Florida as his first win came at the Honda Open in 2007. Since then he has gone onto bigger and better things and has 4 wins on the PGA Tour with two of those wins already coming this season - both at big prices - and I feel this is an absolutely ridiculous price for someone of the above credentials. Three figure odds should not be on offer for a guy in great form, with a win in Florida and solid course form...but I'll take them with open arms!! GL :ok

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - Honda Classic Going to follow you on Furyk and Wilson Hornet. Have also included Ogilvy who has a win here and another Top 5 finish. Puerto Rico Open - Derek Lamely @ 110 Betfair Lamely is the defending champion and had a Top 20 finish at the event the year prior. Clearly enjoys the course and though in a bit of a rut I think in a field as weak as this he's got to be better than a three figure chance.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - WGC Cadillac & Puerto Rico Open WGC-Cadillac Open Golf - Ian Poulter I think this man has a good chance of success this weekend. He has been knocking on the door of having a great round, finishing in the top 30 or 40 several times over the past few weeks. I watched him play this tournament last season where he made the cut but had 3 average enough rounds at first but on the final day he absolutely tore up the course and hit a very nice 64, he will be more experienced this year and will know the course better and i have a feeling he will take off from where he finished last season and if he brings his "A" game , the others could be in trouble. E/W @ 50/1 (Betfred) Puerto Rico Open - Stewart Cink This is a poor enough field of golfers so it is best to stick with one of the players at the top of the market, someone who has vast experience, someone who has won at the highest level and that is this man. Before i looked at the prices, i thought Cink would be 10/1 favourite so the 18/1 looks vale to me. E/W @ 18/1 (Coral)

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - WGC Cadillac & Puerto Rico Open Good evening, Not really had a golf wager for a while but thought id get back on the wagon this week. My selections are: Cadillac Open Golf Matt Kuchar Having a decent year so far, his last 3 starts have produced finishes of 32/3 and 17. Did well round here last year to finish 3rd. He also boasts quite a good driving accuracy and he seems to be putting relatively well. Paul Casey Another player having a decent year, a missed cut a few weeks ago the only blemish. Made the cut on his last 3 visits here including a 6th place last time round. Thomas Aiken His last 3 tournements have yielded finishes of 13/6/7 and performed well here last year finishing in 7th. I feel he is massively overpriced given his current form. Any thoughts?

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2011 - WGC Cadillac & Puerto Rico Open Enjoying the golf so far this season, both from a spectacle & punting perspective, and hope to continue the fun this weekend with a few outrights in the WGC event, albeit with brief reasoning. V.Singh, 1pt EW @ 40/1 Betfred (1/4 odds 1-5) Both course and recent form is pretty much required here and on that basis, there's not many fitting the bill better than 40/1 shot Vijay. 7 finishes inside the top 11 in just 10 starts is pretty impressive stuff, with 4 top 3's. Missed the cut last week at the Honda but conditions were tough and the Fijian is at his best when low scoring is the order of the day, which it will be here. His 3 starts before that gave him a 2nd, a 3rd and a 26th. Impressive in anyone's book so with plenty in his favour, I'm keen to have Vijay batting for me this weekend. S.Stricker, 1pt EW @ 45/1 Paddy Power (1/4 odds 1-5) Maybe not the most obvious choice on recent form but Stricker is a lot better than I often feel people give him credit for. Is still in the top 10 in the world, 3rd highest US player behind Mickleson & Tiger, so should not be dismissed. Inside the top 16 on his last 3 starts here and, despite only starting 3 strokeplay events this year, has had a couple of top 10's. Is a danger when a birdie fest is expected so I feel this could be the week where Steve Stricker finally hits top form. YE.Yang, 1pt EW @ 50/1 Betfred (1/4 odds 1-5) I like Yang although he was p1ssing me off last week when I thought he was going to catch Sabba. Hasn't really done anything in this event but couldn't really be in better form. 2nd last week, last 8 of the matchplay and another top 10, I think the South Korean has a big shout this week. Looked in pretty hot form with the putter last week so, with these wider fairways sure to suit him, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go one better this week. J.Furyk, 1pt EW @ 45/1 Betfred (1/4 odds 1-5) Big price on Furyk here. Other than a top 10 at the ToC, he's been nowhere near his best this year but it wouldn't be a shock to see him change that here. Very good on the carpet generally and should be well capable of hitting plenty of birdies. Has a decent record here, including 3 top 4's in the last 5 years. Not many can match that form so I'll take Jim to have another good run in this here at a price much larger than you'd normally get for the world 11.