** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Snooker: UK Championships

Re: Snooker: UK Championships One for me tonight. Going against my outright bet. 3pts M.Joyce to beat M.Williams 11/5 VC These two renew battles at 4-4 this evening but the good lord only knows how. Mark Williams was awful in that 1st session and really he should be 6-2 behind at least having burgled a couple of frames off Mark Joyce. Joyce played very well from 4-0 down and with the momentum on his side he'll fancy the job tonight. He put in a 109 and a 90 odd in the session which was by far and a long way better than anything Williams produced. It's no surprise really I guess. Williams has played rotten all week. Of course he has the class to pull this one out of the bag, especially if nerves catch hold of Joyce should things get tight this evening but the way the 1st session has gone Joyce could easily win this 9-5 or 9-6. Even if Williams does suddenly find his best game, Joyce is playing well enough so this would be a value bet. If he doesn't find that game though Mark Joyce has a much better chance of winning this match than the odds suggest.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: UK Championships

he was probably right not to touch that black though, positionallyt fooked as he was. whats your reckoning on how the game will go later Broon?
I'm not so sure mate. Position wasn't the problem as he could easily have screwed into the pack. But if he missed the black he was leaving Murphy right in to possible take the frame, and took the more conservative option of touching up behind the black for the snooker. Whether it was the right shot or not, i'm not sure there is a definitive answer, but considering how aggresive Robertson is, i was surprised he didn't take it on.

ANyone any thoughts on how the game will go this evening? Murphy currently 2.24 with roberston favourite' date=' based on ranking i suppose[/quote'] Well, I wanted to get on Robertson -1.5 this morning, but the odds were too short. I still think it's not a bad bet, but there's every chance this could come down to a decider now, so I'll leave it. Personally, I think Robbo will win. He has the air of a World Champion and world no.1 about him now and, for me, Murphy still misses too many balls that he would have potted with his eyes shut a few seasons back. Having said that, it's still a tough one to call. So tempted to follow you in on that Kev. Really don't know what's happened this week but Williams is playing worse than he did when he slumped down the rankings. Just wasn't expecting that based on his previous form this season and it's hard to see him winning when other players are in such good nick. On balance, I'll let it ride because I just think that Williams might have enough in the tank to see this one through and Joyce could find the prospect of a ranking semi-final a bit daunting the nearer it becomes. :hope

All bets now settled' date=' am currently [b']+9.81 pts for the tournament so far... Just the one for tonight: Williams V Joyce 6pts Joyce +3.5 frames h'cap @ 5/6 Will Hill :ok Quite surprised to see this line given, was expecting only the 2.5. Joyce has really impressed me this tournament and tonight will be the biggest match of his life yet. He has been playing some great snooker and putting in some big sessions at the table. Williams on the other hand hasn't impressed me a great deal. You look at his results which may suggest otherwise but when you think about it, he beat a very out of sorts Davis and beat Hendry 9-6 who played the worst game of his career (think he had a 76% pot success which is truly shocking for him.) Joyce has already come out and said he will be rallying up the crowd to get behind him and am sure he will be able to get the 6 frames required. Gl all.
Nicely done joycey, +14.81 points now

Re: Snooker: UK Championships At last. A couple of winners tonight, especially pleased with Joyce at 15/8 for the high break. Still massively in deficit at -9.63pts, however have Murphy at 11/1 for the title, just one match away. On what I've seen, I do fancy him to see off Mark J and at 11/2, he looks a good price.

A couple of quick bets for tomorrow..... S.Murphy v N.Robertson, over 14.5 frames 5pts @ 4/6 Paddy Power I'm really confident this will be very close. Robertson has looked in fine fettle so far and is rightly favourite but I never ever write off Murphy. He's a super match player and will undoubtedly up his game for this match up. I expect a high quality match and one that neither player will run away with. No surprise if these 2 excellent players went the full distance so 4/6 on 9-6 or better looks a very good bet. M.Joyce highest break v M.Williams 3pts @ 15/8 Victor Chandler Mark Joyce has been the surprise package of this tournament seeing off both Ali Carter and Judd Trump but he hasn't been lucky. He's played some really good stuff whilst Williams has been average at best. It wouldn't be a surprise to Mark J up his game and take this in a canter but, at the prices, that would be a massive risk. I'd rather take the big odds that Joyce hits the highest break and, considering current form, this price is way too big. This week, he's hit breaks of 70+ on 6 occasions (97,103,87,100,79,96), all of them highest that Mark's biggest run which is just 71, his only 70+ break so far in 18 frames he's won.
Great stuff Russy boy - particularly the Joyce shout, top draw matey

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Thanks mate but, to be honest, after all the crap that's gone before, that's the least I should be doing:lol. Well done to everyone else in here, there's been some super winners. Onto tomorrow and just 1 for me. J.Higgins (-1.5 frames) to beat M.Allen 5pts @ 4/5 SportingBet I was very close to taking the -2.5 frame line but wanted to play it safe. There are a couple of reasons that make me want to take this bet. Firstly Higgins is in touch of the final on his first ranking event back, he'll want to make sure of it whilst Mark Allen is still to make a ranking final despite a few semi appearances. A fired up John Higgins is the last thing he needs. Secondly and more importantly is form. Don't be fooled into what everyone's saying Higgins not playing as well and Allen being in tip top form, it just ain't true. Rather than argue the merits of beating an upcoming Tom Ford, the reigning champ Ding and Ronnie-conqueror Bingham, we just need to look at the stats. Of the 27 frames Mark has won, only 5 of them have been won in a single scoring visit, 3 of those in round 1 and 1 apiece in each of his last 2 matches. One thing he won't get very often against John is 2 chances. Higgins meanwhile has won almost half (13 of 27) in a single visit, evenly split 5-3-5 in each of his 3 matches. No surprise to see Higgins take this 9-4 or 9-5 but I'll play safer and go for the 9-7 or better scoreline to bring this bet in.

A loss of 4.64 units on the day, although i would have been well in profit had there been at least one more ton in the Higgins/Maguire match. Having watched the whole match i still can't believe my luck with this one, but its part and parcel of the game and i can deal with it. Still + 22.59 pts going into tomorrow, were there's only one bet for me but will be my strongest of the tournament so far. S.Murphy v N. Robertson Over 9.5 Total 50 Breaks @ 4/5 PP 7/10 Tomorrow the current world champion meets a former winner of snookers greatest prize. Robertson is showing this week that he is imo the best player in the world right now and has been scoring ridiculously well so far this week even though he has yet to meet any of the games elite. Tomorrow that will change though in the shape of Murphy and although he is not quite at the top of his game at the moment, he is still a great player and extremely high scorer when he is cuing well and his eye is in. Both players will be relishing this match as we get to the business end of the tournament, and again i can see this being a very close match with a minimum of 15 frames in it. With this in mind the fact that Robertson scored an astounding 8 breaks over 50 in his first match and 9 in his 2nd round match is reason enough to back this alone, whilst Murphy has had 5 and 4 breaks over 50 respectively in his 1st two matches. This match will be a fast paced, open and exciting game with lots of breaks being won in one visit, and i cannot believe the odds for the line they have set this at, so much so i will be visiting a few shops tomorrow.
Comes in after the 13th frame and puts me +28.19 for the tournament. One for today but i have to be quick and it's +14.5 frames in the Higgins v Allen match. Allen is a fearless young player with a huge amount of talent and won't be fazed by facing higgins, but will relish it and up his game. he's clearly in good nick anyway, so much so and i wouldn't be surprised if he beat the Scot who as much as commentators are saying it looks as if he's never been away and is in top form, i'm not convinced he's anyway near his best, but still has the class to grind out results, but young Allen will push himm all the way. Gutted i missed out on a fair amount last night @ about half 10 by minutes. Still left money in over night and was matched for a tiny amount @ 1.81....... Took the small amount available @ 1.8 just minutes ago and will hope to get matched by the full amount at that price(doubt it) that i have left in, but will take anything down to 1.74 on betfair. Won't be online though so it will be over the phone or with them or Paddys, but i doubt the price will last at that. 6/10 on this one :hope

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Higgins tb Allen Murphy tb Williams DOUBLE @ 2.44 Sporting Bet Seems pretty straight forward barring Allen playing a blinder or Williams finding some form which hasn't been apparent for his last two matches. To be honest i think the stage is set now for a Higgins V Murphy final who have both played well this tournament. Had my doubts about Murphy coming through against Robertson yesterday (after Robertson's exceptional performances in the first two rounds) hence was a no-bet for me. But, Murphy played really well and got the job done - his safety game was top notch and when he was in the balls just seemed to played so confidently, especially his ability to get on/move balls into play which were causing him a problem. I'd be very surprised if these two don't make the final and in my honest opinion, if Murphy continues as he left off yesterday i actually think he can go onto win this (fingers crossed for you outright backers at very nice prices.) Really looking forward to these semis, gl all.

Comes in after the 13th frame and puts me +28.19 for the tournament. One for today but i have to be quick and it's +14.5 frames in the Higgins v Allen match. Allen is a fearless young player with a huge amount of talent and won't be fazed by facing higgins, but will relish it and up his game. he's clearly in good nick anyway, so much so and i wouldn't be surprised if he beat the Scot who as much as commentators are saying it looks as if he's never been away and is in top form, i'm not convinced he's anyway near his best, but still has the class to grind out results, but young Allen will push himm all the way. Gutted i missed out on a fair amount last night @ about half 10 by minutes. Still left money in over night and was matched for a tiny amount @ 1.81....... Took the small amount available @ 1.8 just minutes ago and will hope to get matched by the full amount at that price(doubt it) that i have left in, but will take anything down to 1.74 on betfair. Won't be online though so it will be over the phone or with them or Paddys, but i doubt the price will last at that. 6/10 on this one :hope
4/5 still available on coral :ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Right, currently standing at -4.77pts for the tournament and frankly I'll be amazed if Williams doesn't add another -2 to that, as I just can't see him beating Murphy and then Higgins/Allen unless his early season form reappears pretty sharpish. I'm with Russ today in taking this one: 4 pts - John Higgins (-1.5 frames) to beat Mark Allen @ 1.81 with Betfair Russ has already flagged up some pretty impressive stats on this one that back up the impression that I have that Higgins has been in much the better form so far this week. He has that steely resolve that we saw when he won the world title in 2009 and is coming through close games that he really could have lost (especially against Dott) in the way that he did back then. These two met in the semi-final that year and Higgins sprinted off to a huge lead before almost being overhauled by Allen. John leads the head-to-heads 4-2 and comfortably beat Mark only a few weeks back at EPTC 6. He seems to have the Irishman's number and I wouldn't be surprised if he got off to a bit of a flyer here as well. Mark has never made it past the semi-final of a ranking event and a determined Higgins is not the opponent you would choose to try to break that duck. Based on everything I've seen and read this week, I see Higgins winning this by no less than 9-7.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Sport Snooker/Pool Event Higgins v Allen Selection Lay Allen (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 10/12/2010 Bookmaker/Price Blue Square @ 2.53 Reasoning 4-4 from the 1st session and this is building up to a good game. I consider Higgins a good choice going into the final session. Think he has a level above what Allen can produce and much more experience in the big matches. He seems on a mission in this tournament first time on TV since his ban and I think is a solid favourite to make the final.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Down to +2 now after a disappointing day yesterday although Murphy refusing the black on a break of 93 cost me heavily in the centuries bet. One for tonight. 5pts M.Allen vs J.Higgins - Over 15.5 frames 8/11 Bet365 After a cracking first session of snooker, these two resume this evening at 4-4 in a match which looks destined to go the distance. Mark Allen will be desperate to win this and finally make his 1st major final while John Higgins is looking to get back into a major final at the first attempt after all the ordeals he went through in the summer. Both are playing lovely snooker in this match and we've seen 6 of the 8 frames won in one visit. High standard snooker. Both have come through some close matches this week. Both have relied on fortune to get here but I can't see either of these winning tonight's session 5-2. There hasn't been more than a frame between them so far. We saw in The Masters at the start of the year that Mark Allen has the game to beat Higgins. We know Higgins has the stamina and ability to beat Mark Allen so tonight it will be a case of the best player winning but I don't expect either to win this any easier than 9-7 either way. Therefore I'm happy with a strong bet on over 15.5 frames now.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Sport Snooker/Pool Event Murphy v Williams Selection Lay Williams (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 11/12/2010 Bookmaker/Price Victor Chandler @ 2.76 Reasoning Higgins cruised through in the first semi final, and I think he'll be followed in similar fashion by Shaun Murphy. Both very good players, but I see a big edge for Murphy. Williams has got back to the top end of the game, bust still appears not close to his early 2000s form. Surely not as clinical and quite a few silly errors. Especially this tournament, doesn't seem to be producing a high level. Murphy on the other hands appears to be playing very well, good scoring and composed in the matches. Think he is producing a high level for long periods and is comfortable in the big matches. Expect him to come through without this being too close. Price has dropped from earlier markets, but I think is still good enough to be taken.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Waiting on Murphy today which would cut my losses if he makes the final, pleased I stayed away from the matches as I would of got a few more wrong, I would of been looking to take on Higgins. Got a feeling the real Mark Williams may turn up but Murphy is playing well.

Right was extremely busy all day yesterday, but managed to phone betfair at 12.05 to see if i had been matched for any more @ 1.8 and to ask the current back and lay odds. The guy said i had i had only been matched for what i had posted which was just left than half a point, and the market had shifted with the odds of 1.62 to back :\ and 1.64 to lay, so immediately cancelled the rest of my bet rather than let it run in-play. Didn't see any of the game and only ckecked the result on my phone late last night so, i've got a bit lucky that i didn't get matched for any more and that the odds were way below what i was willing to take as i posted. I'm sure no one will question my credibility, but i'll post my most recent betfair bets(screenshot) for anyone who does and i'll work out what i'm at for the tournament in a bit when i post my bet for todays match soon. Also any thoughts on how the Higgins match went would be appreciated.:ok

Also any thoughts on how the Higgins match went would be appreciated.:ok
Very high quality first session with most frames won in one visit - Higgins opened up with a 97 then Allen replied with a near total clearance (missed the black). Both players seemed to reckon the 1st frame of the evening session was the turning point. Allen was in on a break of 40 and missed a black off its spot - Higgins cleared and then won the next in one visit, and Allen's head seemed to go down a bit. Very solid stuff from JH all through the match really. I'm now -1.69pts for the tournament after Higgins covered the handicap, so clawing back the early losses slowly. Very tempted to take Murphy to make the highest break in today's match, but I just can't justify it as value at around the 4/7 mark, so I think I'll sit it out and keep my fingers crossed that the real MJW turns up. :hope

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Thanks western. I see Allen said he thinks Higgins win whoever meets him in the final although i'm not reading to much into that. However after looking into it i have Taken Higgins to win outright @ 1.89 on Betfair 6/10 on Betfair as even if Murphy wins i very much doubt these odds will get any bigger and if Williams wins the Wizard will shorten big time. Leaving the Murphy game alone just now, but may get well get involved in-play.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Get in there my son :nana Classic comeback that was........there's been bigger but that's right up there with the best considering how bad he was playing. Unbelievable character and heart got him through and i'm now in a good postion to trade on Higgins who is now into 1.5

Re: Snooker: UK Championships After losing 0.31 of a point in Fridays Higgins/Allen match im now + 27.88 for the tournament. Just reread the whole thread, to have a look for any outrights, so good luck to Western and Kev who are on Williams. I certainly hope he wins even though i'm on Higgins @ 1.89. He's now @ 1.4 to lay so will mull over what i'm going to do over the next couple of hours, have a look at the other markets and post what i've decided before they start. With the amount of mid to long balls Williams has been cueing across and missing all week, its some achievement to get this far, and although anything can happen unfortunately i don't hold much hope for him against the Scot who will punish him for any mistakes. however he still looks pretty good in the balls and with the character he has shown you never know.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Sport Snooker/Pool Event Higgins v Williams Selection Williams Strength 10/10 Date 12/12/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.30 Reasoning Impressed by Williams yesterday, performance was a lot better than in previous rounds. Still Murphy nearly won (traded 1.03 sigh) but then Williams was very strong in the last few frames. Higgins has shown better performances this week but but think this could be a close final. Williams has the ability to improve again and could make this price look silly.

Just reread the whole thread' date=' to have a look for any outrights, so good luck to Western and Kev who are on Williams. [/quote'] Cheers mate. :ok It's hard to see him turning an in-form Higgins over, but to be fair I said the same about Murphy and he proved me wrong there so fingers crossed. Again the only bet I really fancied today was Higgins to make the highest break but the odds are pretty much spot-on everywhere so there's no value on it. Just gonna sit back and try to enjoy the final now. :hope

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Gutted than Murphy lost last night, another cat I've run over:lol. However, hope MJW does it now for Kev & Western, good luck guys. I'm taking 2 bets today, quick write ups sorry. M.Williams, under 0.5 centuries 3pts @ 11/10 Paddy Power Not hit a century all tournament so how this is odds against is beyond me. Even if he ups his game, the Welsh potting machine is more concerned with getting enough points to win the frame; centuries really don't interest him. The added tension of the final isn't going to help either and, although I expect improvement, I don't see him hitting a ton here. J.Higgins, over 6.5 50+ breaks 3pts @ 5/4 Paddy Power Firstly, I expect him to win so I feel we've 10 winning frames for this bet to come in. Higgins will be fired up for this and I can see him hitting top form here so expect plenty of big breaks. So far, he's hit 9-7-6-6 in his 4 wins so far and should have an extra frame here so feel odds against is a shade big today.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships John Higgins to win first session @ 2.06 Betfair 2/10 :hope Just cant see past the Scot in this match and as i type i've been matched for most of the price i'm trying to get on at. As its a session bet over 8 frames and the fact that i'm already on Higgins its just a 2/10 bet. The 3 bookies who surpisingly took the time to price this up all go 1.9, so i'm happy to be on at this price. Williams will take a lot of heart from last nights amazing win, but he will imo continue to miss to many mid to long balls, and Higgins will no doubt punish him. The scot doesn't have to be at his best to win this , and if he continues where he left off on friday night against Allen i'm confident he can take an advantage into tonights final session.