** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Snooker: UK Championships

Re: Snooker: UK Championships

Good call Russ and sneej :clap I'd pretty much echo what Russ has said. Hendry has no real form whatsoever and is in danger of losing his top 16 place before the Crucible if he doesn't start putting some runs together. White has been playing very well in qualifying, but he does tend to suffer a bit in front of the cameras these days. I think it takes him such an effort to get there that he puts extra pressure on himself to perform and his form suffers as a result. All of which makes this match a no bet for me as well.
Couldn't agree more with these sentiments. If anyone was to have a play on this match, in-play would be the way to go.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Have decided to leave the in running matches alone, a watching brief for me. Saying that, I was close to taking Dott/Gould on the over 15.5 frames, but it's based on who starts the best. If Gould comes out of the blocks, it could be all over so at a shade of odds on, I've left it alone. Instead, I'm taking 2 in the afternoon matches and should be back with some for the evening. M.Williams v M.Davis, over 14.5 frames 4pts @ 5/6 Paddy Power We need a 9-6 or bigger either way for this to come in and I'm pretty confident we'll get it. Admittedly, Williams is favourite here and should prevail but I'm a little worried by his absence from the last 2 PTC events as well as last year's experience here, where he was knocked out by the relatively unknown Peter Lines 9-8. Saying that, he is a cool customer but I think he's got a tough task in the improving Mark Davis. All of a sudden, Davis has started to fulfil his potential and is up to 17 in the provisionals, battling hard for a top 16 place. He struggled to get over the line in qualifying after leading Joe Swail 7-1 (I think) but winning just 9-7. However, it's evident he can win frames early doors so this bet, where I'm not too worried whether he can finish off opponents, is ideal. Ignoring the short format of the World Open, this 2 are pretty well matched on their performances in the other ranking event this term. Williams beat Walden 5-3 in round 1, before being edged out to Dott 5-4 in the last 16, whilst Davis had a great run, beating Fu 5-4, Maguire 5-3 before losing 5-4 to Jamie Burnett, after being 4-1 up. All results there are close giving me even more confidence we will see a close game here. A.Carter (-3.5 frames) to beat M.Joyce 3pts @ 9/10 Boylesports The Captain is in really decent nick this term, already winning the Shanghai by beating Harold, Bingham, Stevens, Selby and Burnett. Didn't play too much on the PTC circuit but doesn't need too when his cueing arm wins him the first ranking event of the season. Plays a young lad who did remarkably well to get here, winning 4 matches just to get here, including the Nugget 9-2. Despite the result there, he only hit 4 50+ breaks and just 1 over 65. That won't be enough to worry Carter here. This match is a completely different kettle of fish for the lad ranked mid 50's and it wouldn't surprise me if he took some time to settle. If that happens, Carter could have this sewn up by half time and I feel it will be some achievement if Joyce can take 4 or 5 frames off him. For this bet to fail, Joyce needs 6; that, to me, looks unlikely against a very solid player in winning form.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Just the one for me today and I'm with Kev. 4pts - Barry Hawkins to beat Marco Fu @ 2.3 with Betfair There's not much to add to what's already been said - it's been a while since Marco performed in a major tournament and past head-to-heads show that Barry certainly has nothing to be afraid of here. Hawkins is another of the PTC converts who seems to be benefitting from playing regular snooker and he sits just 9 places below Fu on the official ranking list. I'd have this match a pretty much 50:50 on current form, so to get Barry at 5/4 looks decent value to me.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships 10pts R.O'Sullivan -3.5 Frames to beat S.Bingham @ 4/5 Paddy Power Really surprised we are seeing this line, I just don't see Bingham taking 6 or more frames in this one. If anyone caught the Premier League last weekend Ronnie looks in fine form, he was relentless in beating Murphy in the final. Saftey game was impressing me the most, I expect him to continue that and it doesn't matter who he is facing, they don't get much of a look in.

G.Dott to bt M.Gould @ 3.25 Betair 3/10 Dott was rightfully favourite before the start, but at 3/4 behind i really don't think he should be this big in what i think will be a very close match so i think there is definately a bit of value in the Scotsman here.
TBB, he's 5-3 down and not 4-3:ok

TBB' date=' he's 5-3 down and not 4-3:ok[/quote'] Fckin bbc had him 4-3 down:wall Should have known though with first sessions being 8 frames, so it's really my own fault for not checking it on World snooker. Definate value then if it was 4-3 then!:lol Thanks for the heads up Russ :ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Ive had a double 11/5 for hendry and hawkins double. ive been impressed with the whirlwind and his form as of late, but this where it stops for me. Hendry is a far superior player. I think Stephen will go far in this tournament, while jimmy is unfortunately still playing for fun and cash, he knows he cant compete anymore. Altho the bookies have made made fu favourite, and hes above him in the rankings, i see hawkins winning this match. Last season FU lost 4 out of 6 major tournament first round matches.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Marco Fu to beat Barry Hawkins @ 1.77 Betfair 5/10 Was going to take the minus 1.5 but i'll take the safer option here. I still rate Fu to be a superior player to Hawkins, and whilst i don't read to much into Premier league form compared to the usual longer formats, we know Fu's game is in good shape and if he can take that form into this tournament i fancy he will have too much class for his opponent and take this match at more than fair odds.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Interesting views on the Fu/Hawkins match. A couple have gone for Barry, TBB for Fu. I can honestly see this going either way, Hawkins had a cracking win over Fergal O'Brien to qualify whilst Marco's been out of touch for some time now. However, I do think that the PTC circuit will have helped Marco, he seems to need table time and did get to the semis of the Premier League. Barry's one of those frustrating players, languishing not far outside the top 16 and one day will make the breakthrough. Being away from the TV table (assuming they are) will suit Marco, I feel, and if I was pushed, I'd take Fu to shade it but not at the price. Another thing to note, they are 3-3 in the H2H. With so many other betting opportunities this week, I'll leave this one well alone along with the Whirlwind / Hendry match:ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championships I hope someone can help me with this. As all live stream's online have some delay behind official live score is quite annoying when you know what will happen. I'm looking to get subscription on Eurosport so would like to know if maybe somebody use this to confirm that is really real time. it should be real time but just to check. Sorry for off topic and tnx

3 for me on the opening day. 6pts J.Higgins (-2.5 frames) to beat S.Lee 3/4 Boylesports 4pts N.Robertson (-3.5 frames) to beat R.McLeod Evs Paddy Power 3pts S.Maguire vs K.Doherty - Over 14.5 frames 4/5 Blue Square
I think that's what's known as a 'brilliant start'. Full house on day 1, for over 10pts of profit:notworthy:notworthy
G.Dott to bt M.Gould @ 3.25 Betair 3/10 Dott was rightfully favourite before the start, but at 3/4 behind i really don't think he should be this big in what i think will be a very close match so i think there is definately a bit of value in the Scotsman here.
Easy mate:clap. Good old BBC, eh;)

I think that's what's known as a 'brilliant start'. Full house on day 1, for over 10pts of profit:notworthy:notworthy Easy mate:clap. Good old BBC, eh;)
Aye cheers mate :D Whether i would have bet him if i knew the correct score i honestly don't know, but as usual the odds on Betfair were much better than the bookies and we all know how much of battler Dott is so i'm delighted with the win, even if there was perhaps a bit of luck involved. Top stuff again Kev :clap

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Not great starts to the afternoon matches for me. Carter is plain awful. Anyway onto tonight and I'm taking 2 more. J.Cope to beat J.Trump 3pts @ Evs Skybet Jamie Cope is a player I rate that has now broken into the top 16. Tonight he faces Judd Trump, a player with so much potential but as yet unfulfilled. He seems to be stuck in the lower 20's in the rankings and is struggling to make much of an impact. Played well in the PTC's but I'm worried about his recent form, losing 4-1 to Adam Wicheard in the last EPTC event and struggling to get over the line 9-7 in the qualifiers against Xiao Guodong. Not exactly a glowing reference for this. Cope, meanwhile, played much better in the most recent EPTC, reaching the 4th round before losing to eventual winner Michael Holt. In the only ranking event of note, Trump went out in round 1 to Maguire 5-3, whilst Cope went all the way to the semis, losing to Burnett but beating the Nugget, Ding & Dott along the way. I prefer Cope when he plays more attacking players so Judd as an opponent will be perfect. The bookies have this priced up at all sorts of prices so the Evs on offer looks nice. M.King to beat R.Day 3pts @ 5/4 SportingBet I can hear you asking why on earth anyone would back Mark King. Well, he's actually a player I have time for. He'll never set the world alight but, when facing players lower ranked than himself, he's a pretty good bet and a very decent match player. Proving that point, he reached the quarters in Shanghai beating Joe Delaney and Ebdon, before a much higher ranked and better player in Selby saw him off 5-1. Ryan Day is completely out of sorts and is sliding down the rankings at a rate of knots. He's now forced to qualify for these event when, just 12 months ago, he was in the top 10. Had a decent qualifying win against Jamie Burnett but I think the hardened match play of King will be too much, and how the hell he's such a short price, I'll never know. Because of that, I'll take Mark King to prevail.

I think that's what's known as a 'brilliant start'. Full house on day 1, for over 10pts of profit:notworthy:notworthy Easy mate:clap. Good old BBC, eh;)
Cheers mate. +9.9pts on settled bets now. Hawkins guaranteed to be on terms going into tomorrow as well. One more for tonight. 4pts J.Cope to beat J.Trump Evs Skybet This should be a pretty exciting match and one which I don't think will contain much safety play. Both these young players like to nail the pots, get in among the balls and win the frame as quickly as possible. However for me I like Cope here. I just feel that he's marginally the more consistent player here. Judd Trump is probably the more talented player but consistency isn't really something that is attached to his game yet which won't help him over a potential 17 frame match. I expect lots of high breaks here and a pretty fast match but with Cope's all round game in slightly better condition than his opponent's coming into this one than as an outsider I'm happy to be on the Stoke man. Only Skybet make Cope clear outsider. I don't I make him a marginal favourite so I'm on at evens here.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Some good and of course some bad suprises today. Higgins showed real class and with this level of play Lee would win against most of other seeded players, shame that he get determined and greedy Higgins. If he keeps momentum it will be hard to beat him imho. As I am not so long in this sport I would like to hear your opinion about today Ronnie's performances. Okay, Bingham played good and throw great safety's but i have feel that result would be 6-2 or at least 5-3 only if Ronnie is just a little bit more patient. In eight frames he didn't stop in even one single shot to think or check something, sometimes it looks like "who cares, I'm to good" when opening the frames (opening reds) for Bingham in two frames. I don't know if he is bribing of self confidence or that slightly outgrows to arogance. I know that is his style but sometimes I can't understand that. For example of something completely opposite I would use Junghui or Robertson, not based only on this two matches from Telford. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm big on fourfold Junghui + Robertson + Williams + Ronnie and I'm thinking to cover my ticket with laying Ronnie, Williams finished his job imo. I would appreciate some opinions from you in case that I am not objective...

Okay, Bingham played good and throw great safety's but i have feel that result would be 6-2 or at least 5-3 only if Ronnie is just a little bit more patient. In eight frames he didn't stop in even one single shot to think or check something, sometimes it looks like "who cares, I'm to good" when opening the frames (opening reds) for Bingham in two frames. I don't know if he is bribing of self confidence or that slightly outgrows to arogance. I know that is his style but sometimes I can't understand that. For example of something completely opposite I would use Junghui or Robertson, not based only on this two matches from Telford. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm big on fourfold Junghui + Robertson + Williams + Ronnie and I'm thinking to cover my ticket with laying Ronnie, Williams finished his job imo. I would appreciate some opinions from you in case that I am not objective...
I didn't see much of Ronnie's match last night, but what you describe just sounds like typical Ronnie to me. Personally, I don't trust him in ranking tournaments these days and, although he should get the job done against Bingham, if I was in your position I'd be laying off to give me a guaranteed win rather than sweating on Ronnie's attitude. GL whatever you decide to do. :ok

Re: Snooker: UK Championships 6pts M.Selby to beat S.Maguire @ 8/13 Totesport Both players came through their first round matches 9-6, for me Selby has been the greater player in recent years and right now you have to fancy him to come through this one. Maguire has been incosistent and Selby could outclass the Scotsmen here , what we do know is that if Selby does have a battle on his hand he can be very strong in the deciding frames.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Neil Robertson E/W 7/1 Paddy Power Won the last two BBC events the World Championship & World Cup, so maybe he loves playing in front of BBC cameras who knows! Should get past Higginson comfortably then he's odds could drop again, he is the strongest player in 2nd half, i suppose only Murphy is the real danger towards another final.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Not doing too badly so far - the double lost but everything else seems rosey. For tonight: Higgins V Dott 5pts Higgins -2.5 @ 10/11 BlueSquare Apart from the first session Higgins played amazing against Lee. Lee like a 96% pot success and still lost - like the commentator kept saying Lee beats 98% of other snooker players today, but Higgins was something else. Fair play to Dott for coming from behind in the first round but if Higgins plays like he did in the first round, will cover this h'cap no problem. Robertson V Higginson 5pts Robertson -3.00 @ 11/10 Stan James This is basically the same as -3.5 h'cap due to the draw option but think that Robertson is more than capable of covering this line. Robertson is playing great stuff at the moment and crushed Rory in the first round. Again, just think he will have far to much for Higginson and should beat the line and i'm all over it at odds against. Final Speculative: Ding V Allen 2pts Allen highest break @ 5/4 Sporting Bet I know this is quite a risky bet because it is difficult to predict who will make the highest break and a lot of variables play a key part but i can just see value here. Allen hit the big numbers as usual in the first round (including 2 centuries) and before i checked the odds was definitely expecting Allen to be favourite for the highest break. To my surprise (was a nice surprise) Allen is the outsider and at 5/4 i'm willing to try this for a little parlay.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships Right, -4pts for the tournament so far, as Hawkins falls 9-7 to Fu. It's always a bit frustrating to have money have on a non-TV table game and this one seemed to go in spurts, with Fu coming from 4-2 down to lead 6-4, then Hawkins taking 3 on the bounce to lead 7-6. On balance, I think I'll continue to oppose Marco for the foreseeable as this looks like it was a bit a struggle. 6pts - Mark Selby (-1.5 frames) to beat Stephen Maguire @ 1.88 with Betfair I already have Selby on the outright but I can't resist having another nibble here. For me, Maguire has flattered to deceive for a while now and his record against players in the top 16 in ranking tournaments has been poor for the past couple of seasons. A kindly draw (Holt, Bingham, & Lines) saw him into the semi-finals of this tournament last year, but I honestly don't think he currently has the game or - more importantly - the temperament to compete with a player of Selby's class. I can't see this one going to the wire either, so 10/11 looks a decent price for Selby to prevail 9-7 or better.

Re: Snooker: UK Championships I should listen you Western... :wall Bingham is almost perfect today but this Ronnie guy... So unbelievably inpatient, just what I wrote yesterday. Two or three wasted chances in each of last two frames just because he is flippant. Even if he get this one no more Ronnie for me until next premier league..

Right, going to get Sunday's selections up early: Just wanted to say congrats to all the winning picks today - have to admit i opposed your bet for Maguire v Doherty to be over 14.5 frames. Just though Maguire would be too strong for him and Doherty hasn't showed me much over recent times that he has the ability to put a decent stint in but nice winner nonetheless. For tomorrow: Carter V Joyce. Williams V Davis. 5pts Carter & Williams DOUBLE @ 31/20 Skybet :wall Seems pretty straight forward. Out of all of the matches tomorrow these are my two most confident picks and should have too much for their opponents. Both Carter and Williams regularly run deep in ranking events and feel they will be hugely disappointed if they don't get their tickets to the 2nd round. Hendry V White. 3pts Jimmy White +2.5 Frames H'Cap @ 8/11 BlueSquare :ok As mentioned above by some of you, Jimmy is in the form of his life in the run up to this tournament whereas Hendry is the complete opposite. Feel Jimmy will make a great game of this and have to admit i am tempted to take him outright but thought better to play safe on the h'cap - can afford him to lose 9-7 worse case scenario. Day V King. 3pts Over 14.5 frames @ 4/6 Stan James :ok Think this is a real tight match up. Both seem to have frequent ups and downs in form but i feel both will fancy their chances and see it as an excellent opportunity to advance to the next round. Can see this being a real hard fought battle getting down to the nitty gritty and just can't see either player winning 9-5 or better. Also kind of fancy taking over 14.5 frames in the Fu v Hawkins match and maybe Trump to edge Cope perhaps but need to look at these in more detail - will post up tomorrow if i end up taking them. Best of luck - let the fortune continue :hope
Good day on the whole, Fu over 14.5 frames and Trump also came through for good measure although didn't post these up. Keep up the good work guys ;)

Right' date=' -4pts for the tournament so far, as Hawkins falls 9-7 to Fu. It's always a bit frustrating to have money have on a non-TV table game and this one seemed to go in spurts, with Fu coming from 4-2 down to lead 6-4, then Hawkins taking 3 on the bounce to lead 7-6. On balance, [b']I think I'll continue to oppose Marco for the foreseeable as this looks like it was a bit a struggle.
Odds dependant of course mate? I see what your getting at and totally agree, but this game was always likely to be a battle of attrition. We can look at breaks, stats etc but there is no substitute for actually seeing a player in action with our own eyes to guage how well/confident or poor etc they are playing which will obviously help us in our thoughts on the right odds and whether to back,lay or leave a match alone. Could easily be Bingham up next for Fu, so i'm looking forward to the odds for that match as the Bingham looks set to shock Ronnie here. Who would you fancy in that match mate?

I should listen you Western... :wall Bingham is almost perfect today but this Ronnie guy... So unbelievably inpatient, just what I wrote yesterday. Two or three wasted chances in each of last two frames just because he is flippant. Even if he get this one no more Ronnie for me until next premier league..
Five in a row, at least two or three of them he must won easily imho.. So genius but awfully arogant.. All congrats to Bingham anyway