** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix

The final Sky major of the year begins on the 4th October. It's the Grand Prix with the unique double start/double finish format. As always carnage is likely to ensue in this event with the 1st round just the best of 3 sets. Usually always a decent betting heat after that though and the draw looks to have set up a few good matches as we go through. Bodog.com World Grand Prix Draw Bracket Phil Taylor (1) v Brendan Dolan Andy Smith v Jamie Caven Ronnie Baxter (8) v Gary Anderson Kevin Painter v Mark Dudbridge Terry Jenkins (5) v Vincent van der Voort Adrian Lewis v Alan Tabern Mervyn King (4) v Wayne Jones Steve Brown v Steve Farmer Raymond van Barneveld (2) v John MaGowan Denis Ovens v Mark Walsh Colin Lloyd (7) v Wes Newton William O'Connor v Barrie Bates Simon Whitlock (6) v Paul Nicholson Dennis Priestley v Andy Hamilton James Wade (3) v Mick McGowan Colin Osborne v Co Stompe

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix COLIN LLOYD 66/1 ew, to win the WGP, for me a tad overpriced, Lloydy has been looking better and better as the year has gone on he was desperatetly unlucky to be edged out by Wayne Jones in the last televised evnt the EC at the semi final stage and he also snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when he took on Painter at the matchplay, so why back him, well he is a previous winner here, and when he is on form he is superb on the doubles, i reckon Lloyd is due some luck, he deserves it as he is working very hard at his game with a renewed dedication i have a feeling something is due to click for Jaws and i see no reason why i should'nt be this week, he is in a decent qtr, yes Barney is there but if it is the Barney we saw for 18 months of being a shadow of himself then Colin will have no fears, no one else in that qtr will worry an on fire Lloydy so i am taking him each way here. PAUL NICHOLSON 100/1 ew, at the risk of Kevshat wrath i'm taking Paul at this price, i am sure even kev woukd agree that the Geordie is too long priced at 100s. after winning the PC in January Paul has not taken off like he should have dissapointing in the Matchplay and EC, he has no current form however as the saying goes, "form is temporary, class is permanent " and make no mistake this lad has it, a near perfect technique, he is excellnt on doubles when he has one dart left a handy weapon in the double start game, one of the best checkout hitters in the game also shows his prowess on the doubles and he has an excellent qtr no one there will worry Paul he has Whitlock in round one and the winner there could well go to the final

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix SIMON WHITLOCK 10/1 ew. we all know the capabiliites of the wizard, he can easily be expected to make a good run at this tournament, he starts out against his old rival Nicholson (see earlier post) and Simon and him are two of the best at taking out big finishes, Whitlock has grown since his WC runner up spot. he got better as the Premier league went on and as i've stated on here before set play suits some and Simon is one of them. he has a half that contains Barney and Wade but he has beaten them both before and see no reason why he can't repeat that, and he won't have to worry bout Taylor till the final. CO STOMPE 100/1. what you may say, backing Co well i am surprising myself too! but he has been impressive since coming across to the pro side. WC qtr finalist, he had a good run at Blackpool too and it needed a top form Barney to stop the former tram driver, a very decent doubles hitter and if he is flowing he can hammer the maximums too. as i said he has shone on the Sky cameras, and you would argue he is due a good result. so i'm taking him ew at avery tasty price.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix I've not got the greatest record in this event personally but off the back of a good 2010 so far hopefully we can have a good week this week. Just the one outright and then a quarter bet. 1.5pts ew J.Wade to win World Grand Prix 12/1 Paddy Power (1/2 1,2) I've already collected on a James Wade outright punt already this year and I see no real reason why I can't do so again here. He's a previous winner of this event and I believe this is an event which is very much a horses for courses type event. Since winning this in 2007, Wade's actually not won a match at the event. If this was the world championship or the matchplay that would be a concern but it's not as much of a concern here as anyone can beat anyone over 3 sets and Priestley was off his tits against Wade last year. At the end of the day though, Wade hits doubles as well as anyone in the game and with a tricky looking quarter with the likes of Whitlock and Priestley around that should keep Wade's mind sharp from the off. Barney could await in the semi final but Wade beat him 5-1 on his way to the title in 07 so that's not such an issue. Wade's in decent form having won a players championship event a couple of weeks ago and a Championship League group the week after. I'm happy enough to pick just one in this section of the draw and that one is James Wade. 2pts T.Jenkins to win Quarter 2 11/2 Sportingbet Terry Jenkins is a very big price to win this quarter in my eyes. He's twice a finalist in this event and made the semi finals last year before walking into Taylor in that round so with a nicer draw he could so easily be a 3 times finalist in this event. Doubles are something Jenkins is very underrated on. He has the occasional mare which gets remembered but when clutch doubles need hitting they usually get hit. An advantage we've got here is Taylor isn't a potential opponent until the semi final by which time this quarter will be won. Mervyn King and Adrian Lewis are rated better than Jenkins in the market and while King's record in the event is good, recent form isn't so good and Lewis is way too inconsistent on his doubles to warrant support in an event like this. Jenkins lost to Wade in the PC final 2 weeks ago so he's throwing the dart well enough and at 11/2 I'm more than happy to be getting this price on someone so consistent in the event.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix 2 more outrights for me from the specials list. 4pts Zero Irish 1st round winners 11/10 Skybet I really like this price. Really and truly I think this bet will come down to William O'Connor vs Barrie Bates, last up on Tuesday night. The other three Irish qualifiers - Brendan Dolan, Mick McGowan and John Magowan have got the 3 best players in the world in Taylor, Wade and Barney and with the best will in the world it's hard to see either of those 3 winning their matches. So if that goes to plan then we're getting 11/10 on Barrie Bates to beat the youngster William O'Connor which I think would be a fair punt. O'Connor's far from a bad player and definitely one for the future and was talked about by his impressive showing in the UK Open but he's picked out a Bates arguably in the form of his life at the minute and unlike some in the draw, Bates isn't one who is going to have a mare on his doubles, not is he one of these who'll be put off by a raucous crowd. He'll just throw his darts, hit his doubles and move on. Even if we were of the opinion that this is a 50/50 match then we've still got the value. Other than in all Irish battles there hasn't been an Irish win since 2006 here so I'm happy to be on this at 11/10. 3pts No 170 checkout 11/8 Blue Square In the data I have on highest checkouts which dates back to 2005 here, there hasn't been a single 170 checkout so I'm not overly sure why it's odds on we get one this week. Personally I think it's harder to leave the 170 with the double start as the natural scoring patterns leave unnatural numbers to leave 170. Even then when it's left it's still got to be hit and if someone's having trouble on their doubles in they won't be as fluent as usual on the trebles. Even if this was a straight start, 170 checkouts aren't regular occurances. If we think how many legs are played in the UK Open and the World Matchplay, there wasn't a single 170 out there. This is the lowest format of the majors in terms of potential legs barring tie breaks so in theory we'd have the lowest chance of seeing it at all in this event due to fewer legs. I know the likes of Whitlock like teeing it up but without a 170 in the last 4 years here or the last 2 Sky majors then I don't think no 170 checkout should be odds against. With that in mind I'm happy to take no 170 this week.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix

Monday 4 October 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Smith, A v Caven, J (18:00 BST) 2.56 1.68 98.59 %
maximize.gif Jenkins, T v van der Voort, V (18:40 BST) 1.74 2.37 99.58 %
maximize.gif Brown, Steve v Farmer, S (19:20 BST) 2.12 1.9 99.55 %
maximize.gif Lewis, A v Tabern, A (20:00 BST) 1.72 2.42 99.22 %
maximize.gif Baxter, R v Anderson, G (20:40 BST) 2.56 1.65 99.67 %
maximize.gif Taylor, P v Dolan, B (21:20 BST) 1.05 14 102.38 %
maximize.gif Painter, K v Dudbridge, M (22:00 BST) 1.67 2.5 99.88 %
maximize.gif King, M v Jones, W (22:40 BST) 1.66 2.5 100.00 %
Tuesday 5 October 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Priestley, D v Hamilton, A (18:00 BST) 2.5 1.67 99.88 %
maximize.gif Ovens, D v Walsh, M (18:40 BST) 2.5 1.66 100.00 %
maximize.gif Osborne, C v Stompé, C (19:20 BST) 2 2 100.00 %
maximize.gif Lloyd, C v Newton, W (20:00 BST) 1.85 2.2 99.51 %
maximize.gif Wade, J v McGowan, M (20:40 BST) 1.17 7 99.76 %
maximize.gif Van Barneveld, R v MaGowan, J (21:20 BST) 1.13 7.8 101.32 %
maximize.gif Whitlock, S v Nicholson, P (22:00 BST) 1.44 3.25 100.00 %
maximize.gif O'Connor, W v Bates, B (22:40 BST) 2.28 1.72 101.75 %

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix 3 bets for me on the opening night. 3pts S.Brown to beat S.Farmer 11/10 Boylesports Boyles are a standout on the Bomber here but I can't be having him odds against. Sure Farmer's started PDC life well and has made 2 PC finals in the last 6 weeks, winning one and losing one but that's floor stuff, this is TV and a big stage which is something Farmer generally struggled on in the BDO barring a couple of decent showings at the World Masters. Steve Brown took to tele like a duck to water when he wiped out Terry Jenkins at the Matchplay and nearly sent Whitlock packing with him. A very level headed player who hit his doubles cleanly and scored well when he was in. This is one of those matches which with the format could go either way but TV and longer term PDC experience could be the difference in this one so I'll take the younger player from Bristol to move into round 2 here. 3pts R.Baxter to beat G.Anderson 6/4 Sportingbet Anyone who backs Gary Anderson to win a match where hitting 2 doubles per leg is involved needs their heads testing. He struggles enough to hit the one at the end of a leg without hitting one to begin too :lol. He's picked up a tough 1st round draw here too in Ronnie Baxter who when he's on form hits tops like it's as big as a barn door. He is in form too having made the final of the PC event in Dublin on the eve of this event, losing in a last leg shootout to Jamie Caven. Anderson can be an explosive scorer but Ronnie's scored well all year and now that he's hitting his doubles his results have improved beyond all recognition. Anderson will take a PDC major before too long but it's never likely to be here. I'm firmly on the Rocket in this one. 3pts W.Jones to beat M.King 6/4 Sportingbet Got to be honest, there's a little bit of the price attracting me here but I still don't think Woody's without a chance in this one. King hasn't pulled up too many trees in recent TV tournaments and yes ok he's got a decent record here being one of the better double hitters in the game, he's not a solid favourite in my eyes. Jones has improved beyond measure on his doubles. In the Euro Champs he was hitting that D16 like it was a mile wide. That run to the final should've given the Wolverhampton man plenty of confidence coming into this week. In truth if this was over 7 or 9 sets I'd probably see King as most likely to win but the best of 3 sets opens it right up as a much more 50/50 match. With that in mind I'll take the 6/4 all day long so it's Jones for me here.

3pts R.Baxter to beat G.Anderson 6/4 Sportingbet Anyone who backs Gary Anderson to win a match where hitting 2 doubles per leg is involved needs their heads testing. He struggles enough to hit the one at the end of a leg without hitting one to begin too :lol. He's picked up a tough 1st round draw here too in Ronnie Baxter who when he's on form hits tops like it's as big as a barn door. He is in form too having made the final of the PC event in Dublin on the eve of this event, losing in a last leg shootout to Jamie Caven. Anderson can be an explosive scorer but Ronnie's scored well all year and now that he's hitting his doubles his results have improved beyond all recognition. Anderson will take a PDC major before too long but it's never likely to be here. I'm firmly on the Rocket in this one.
Couldnt agree more here, Im nearly sure Boyles had Ronnie at 2/1 a few weeks back. 6/4 is still looking tasty.

2 more outrights for me from the specials list. 3pts No 170 checkout 11/8 Blue Square In the data I have on highest checkouts which dates back to 2005 here, there hasn't been a single 170 checkout so I'm not overly sure why it's odds on we get one this week. Personally I think it's harder to leave the 170 with the double start as the natural scoring patterns leave unnatural numbers to leave 170. Even then when it's left it's still got to be hit and if someone's having trouble on their doubles in they won't be as fluent as usual on the trebles. Even if this was a straight start, 170 checkouts aren't regular occurances. If we think how many legs are played in the UK Open and the World Matchplay, there wasn't a single 170 out there. This is the lowest format of the majors in terms of potential legs barring tie breaks so in theory we'd have the lowest chance of seeing it at all in this event due to fewer legs. I know the likes of Whitlock like teeing it up but without a 170 in the last 4 years here or the last 2 Sky majors then I don't think no 170 checkout should be odds against. With that in mind I'm happy to take no 170 this week.
I like your theory on that one :)

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix Taking two for tonight's play Sportsbet Australia Baxter to beat Anderson - $2.45 Considering the format is hitting a double first up, I think $2.45 is pure value for a top 8 players against Gary Anderson who struggles at doubles Jenkins to beat Van der Voort - $1.70 Well according to stats, Van der Voort hasn't been past the 1st round in this tournament and the Bull has had good runs in years past. So on that alone along with Kevshat's confidence in winning his quarter draw. Will take him on As always happy punting

Ronnie... Ronnie... Ronnie... a set and 2-0 up..... i'm calling you rodney from now on...
:sad:sad:sad. Hopefully Jones can beat an "injured" Mervyn King tonight. Although if I recall the last injured person as prescribed injured by Rod Harrington never broke sweat to win :lol. Just one which interests me tomorrow night which is good because I don't like this format and I'm at the Luton game. The Irish bet will be settled tomorrow night so there's enough interest to keep us entertained. 3pts C.Stompe to beat C.Osborne 10/11 Blue Square I like Co Stompe in this match. I don't know what it is with Osborne but he's gone to pieces in TV tournaments in recent events. Stompe has revelled in the TV environment making the quarter finals in both the world championship and the matchplay. He could and should even have taken Taylor closer in the Euro Championship. Osborne used to be super cool on the doubles but now I sense his confidence on the outer ring couldn't be lower. Stompe has a weird style and I think he's a D14 man but he's pretty reliable wherever he chooses to start. Stompe's as heavy a scorer as there is in the game and Osborne has only really been scoring in patches at the minute. Reputation wise I can see why this is priced up so close but I really think Stompe should be a much bigger favourite. If it weren't for the fact this is only best of 3 sets then I'd be having much more than 3pts on the Dutchman but given that it is only 3 sets then I'll stick to my usual 3pts on the Dutchman sending the Wizard home.

Old Harrington was Slating Barney for not arriving in the UK till tomorrow morning.. Hope he is proved wrong... At the end of the day it's only a few hours travel from Holland anyway...
Rod Harrington in talking rubbish shocker eh :lol. Lets face it, Barney could walk from Holland to Ireland today and should have way too much for 69 year old Mr Magoo. He just wants to hype it up and highlight Phil Taylor even more than sky do already IMO. With Jones winning I'm +4.8pts for the event with Stompe and the Irish bet going for me tonight.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix I think that the first match is worth a small punt (4/10). Priestley has been in better form lately, while Hamilton seems to be struggling. He is also the more experienced one, which should help him in this format. Hamilton can miss quite a lot of doubles and the price (2.310 at Pinnacle, for example) is too good to ignore.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix Watched a few of stompe's matches recently in the championship league darts (CLD) and wasn't too impressed with what i saw. He was very erratic. On the other hand as kev has said already osborne has done f**k all in tv tournaments for a good while. There are no fans at the CLD so perhaps that had an effect on stompe as he does like interacting with the crowd. I'm going to go with stompe but with small stakes. Good luck all :hope

I think that the first match is worth a small punt (4/10). Priestley has been in better form lately' date=' while Hamilton seems to be struggling. He is also the more experienced one, which should help him in this format. Hamilton can miss quite a lot of doubles and the price (2.310 at Pinnacle, for example) is too good to ignore.[/quote'] Good luck mate. Thought about Priestley myself because I have the same thoughts about Hamilton's doubles as you do but looking back over the last two years he's made the semi final and quarter final here losing to Barney and Taylor respectively. So he seems to like it over here and that put me off a bit really. Yep I did too but I'm happy to swerve the CLD in terms of a form guide as other than a few quid and a bit of match practice it's a nothing tournament really. If it carried a route into the Premier League like it's snooker equivalent that would be different but it's purely a prize money only event. The only events I'm worried about are genuine tour events which Stompe is performing much better than Osborne in :ok.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix I'm going to take Nicholson to beat Whitlock. Nicholson hasn't kicked on since winning the Players earlier in the year, but in that event proved he can hit doubles when the pressure is on and over this short format that's all these first round games boil down to. Whitlock, as good as he is has shown he can chuck in the odd sloppy performance as he did in a few premier league matches. Best odds I found for Nicholson were 5/2 with Sportingbet... But found Bet365 have correct score odds of 5/1 for Nicholson 2-1 and 7/1 for Nicholson 2-0... So a 1 pt stake on each will return 5/2 for the 2-1 and a bonus 7/2 if he can do it convincingly!

Wednesday 6 October 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Jones, W v Brown, Steve (18:00 BST) 1.33 4.2 98.81 %
maximize.gif Jenkins, T v Lewis, A (19:30 BST) 2.2 1.81 100.70 %
maximize.gif Taylor, P v Smith, A (21:00 BST) 1.04 24 100.32 %
maximize.gif Anderson, G v Painter, K (22:30 BST) 1.55 2.8 100.23 %
Thursday 7 October 2010 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Van Barneveld, R v Walsh, M (18:00 BST) 1.5 2.75 103.03 %
maximize.gif Whitlock, S v Hamilton, A (19:30 BST) 1.28 4.33 100.85 %
maximize.gif Wade, J v Osborne, C (21:00 BST) 1.26 4.52 101.49 %
maximize.gif Newton, W v Bates, B (22:30 BST) 1.53 2.92 99.46 %

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix Up and down night last night. Was +4.80 coming in and +4.40 for the Irish bet but -3 for Stompe and -3 for the 170 which rounded off a pretty miserable night all in all. So +3.20 overall now. Onto tonight and it's a tough card really. Just one which takes my fancy. 4pts P.Taylor's Total 180's - Over 3.5 5/6 Paddy Power Phil Taylor hit 2 180's in a complete and utter stroll against Brendan Dolan in the opening round but in a match which might have a bit more meat on it I think there's room for Taylor to double that tally. He'll be a bit more relaxed now he's through the opening round. He knows he's never been beaten in this tournament from this round onwards so I'd expect to see a real decent performance from The Power this evening. Andy Smith is no mug though and he scores well so Taylor will need to score well to stay in some legs and keep the pressure on the Pie Man. Taylor beat Smith at the Euro Championship but it was only 10-5. It wouldn't surprise me if Smith wins a set here. He'll keep a couple of the sets close too so there's enough scope for there to be enough legs for Taylor to pop in at least 4 maximums tonight.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix Rotten night for me tonight. Only 2 180's from Taylor although he missed quite a few others with T20 T20 and either T5 or single 20. Jenkins played like a twat and lost too. -2.80 going into tomorrow. Have to say though I like the cards from here on in so I'm hoping this can still be a pretty decent week.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix 2 for me tonight. 3pts M.Walsh to beat R.Barneveld 7/4 Skybet Mark Walsh was really impressive the other night in despatching Denis Ovens. I accept consistency is something we can't really associate with Walshie on TV but the way he was pinning that double top against Ovens gives us room for optimism that a good performance can come out here. Barney was a bit sloppy against Mr Magoo. That's understandable of course because Magowan's a nice fella and it was the 1st round and he's a really slow player which doesn't suit Barney. In fact had Magowan not miscounted on 49 to go 2-1 in the 2nd set he might have given Barney even more trouble than he did. In his post match interview Barney spoke about chronic back pains for the last 2 weeks which can't be good for a darts player heading into a big match. Walsh has a fair record against Barney. They've met 4 times on the circuit in the last 18 months and Walsh has won 3 of the 4 meetings. Barney's only win being a 13-11 success in last year's matchplay. However Walshie seems to have his head right thanks to this sports psychiatrist he's seeing and if tops goes in for him tonight like it did on Tuesday then I think he'll beat the Matchplay runner-up here. 3pts W.Newton (-1.5 sets) to beat B.Bates 11/10 Boylesports For me, Wes Newton was the best of the 1st round winners. Colin Lloyd came here in fair touch and never got a look in as the Lancastrian took him apart. His mid 80's average equates to almost 100 in a straight off format which is very good arrers. Barrie Bates was in cruise control in the 1st game against the disappointing Irish lad, William O'Connor but he was far from perfect. Maybe now he kows he's got to play well will boost him but Wes is in decent nick and I think he'll have too much for his Welsh mate. Wes has had plenty of match practice coming in here having won Group 5 of the Championship League and that looks to have given him a lot of confidence ahead of this week. Newton has won 4 of the last 5 between these two and I think he'll win this one as well and I think he can take this no worse than 3-1.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix MARK WALSH 6/4 V BARNEVELD 1/2. i don't know how stan james can make Barney odds on for this game he has'nt thrown a dart in anger for the two months previous to his last round game. and Walshie is a class player he is easily a top ten player and one opponent others hate to play he has no real weakness, consistent scorer and finisher, good technique, and does'nt buckle under pressure, Yeah Barney is a class act but i am not sure he has the same hunger he used to as i have stated here many times before, on form he can give Taylor a real fight but that Barney is rarely seen nowadays, and i thought he was very ordinary against Magowan and had it nit been for a silly counting error by John, i would have fancied him to take it to the third set and we would have seen whether Barney fancied it. well Walshie is going to push Barney hard tonight and i backing him to just edge this tonight.

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix Hello to everyone, this is my first post and I hope for getting some answers even my questions will probably be "beginner level" for most of you as they are about DARTS. Two weeks ago I was accidentally click on snooker thread during the World Open and from then I followed every match even this sport in Croatia have similar status as basketball or volleyball in your country. Also I made nice profit from the betting and big part of that thanks to your advises (among the others especially Kevshat, theoldmaster, PerryPFC, Spooner). Really great sport and I have to say more aristocratic in compare with atmosphere on darts. So.. my questions.. 1. I have very rich bookmark with sites covering almost all the sports discussed on this forum but as I am completely new in this one I can't find all data I would like to know about head to head statistics, matches from the past, season statistics, etc. 2. I found that Taylor is something like Nadal, Fedex, Messi, Lebron etc., but odds around 1,3 (Betfair) is little bit weird/unacceptable to me. Is the difference between and others so big that he is bigger favorite to win this tournament then Rafa in RG, or Fedex in Wimbledon (before they made grass slower than clay)? I see by the ranking table that he is far from others and he won this tournament lot of times but I don't understand this sport... jet ;) 3. Adding to 2nd point I made little research form the past threads about darts and odds under 1,3 passed in 94% which is not bad at all :) To sum up I wrote this to see your opipinon: Is it better (in sense of P&L) to put outright on Taylor or follow him match by match form now on. Cheers! [url=http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/members/spooner/]

Re: Darts: Bodog World Grand Prix hi Boycie welcome to the darts threads we have had some great successes this year and hope you can enjoy making some good cash from the well informed punters here now to answer your questions. you can find a lot of stats, on the planetdarts website (the site of the PDC) and also just a basic google search can throw up some good results as for Taylor yes you can bet against him but you would need your head examined ! he is that far ahead of the rest of the field there are players though that have beaten him in the past Wade, Barney, King have had him on more than one occassion but his defeats are few and far between in longer games (i.e 7, 9 11 sets) (19 -35 legs) he is almost unbeatable. yeah he gives opponents chances 161s, 164, 170 the difference is they don't hit them regularly he does. IF your going to bet against him do it in shorter form games. hope that was of help and watch this space for some of the best informed darts tipping you'll find anywhere.