Tennis - June 7-13

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - June 7-13

What does everyone think of Davydenko beating Greul on his return tomorrow?
Davydenko's got a poor record on grass - ball bounces too low, his volleying/net play is sketchy and his serve gets punished. I will be looking to pounce on him going out at some point. He's rusty just coming back from a bad wrist injury. but I think he might squeak past Greul, who has not been playing well of late and is better suited to a hard court. Not sure this match is worth the hassle though.

What does everyone think of Davydenko beating Greul on his return tomorrow?
I believe that davydenko should get through this match but it will be close, grass is not a preferred surface of his and he limits the amounts of matches he plays, however he is a highly skilled player that seems to perform better at at warm up events, i feel Greul is suspect on grass and playing a player of lower class odds of around $1.70 is nice for davydenko

Four bets for me in the tennis today... Rajeev Ram has had a pretty poor season, considering he won his maiden ATP Tour event in Newport last year. I can't quite put my finger on why he hasn't kicked on but it's clear from his past results that grass is a surface he enjoys playing on. That aforementioned Newport title was on grass, where he beat Sam Querrey to win that tournament. He takes on Karol Beck in the first round of Queen's and I feel he is attractively priced at 1.833 to get the job done. These two met on grass last year in Nottingham, with Ram prevailing 6-3 6-3. Ram lost to Alex Bogdanovic in three last week on the grass but that game will have prepared him for the grass here. Beck has yet to play on the grass and like Ram, he's not experienced the best of years. He beat Feliciano Lopez in five sets at Wimbledon last year, which is form to be wary of, but I feel this grass match might come a bit to soon for him. Ram has a big serve and loves to come to the net and volley. This surface is tailored to his game and I can see him being able to take this against a limited opponent. The match at Queen's between Taylor Dent and Kevin Anderson screams overs to me. Yes, the line is high at over 23.5 games at a price of 1.877, but I can see this one being a serve fest and a very tight match. Both men are huge servers and rely on that part of the game. Anderson perhaps has the faster serve because of his height, but Dent's is more accurate and he likes to come in on it a lot. Dent is not the player he once was but after his horrific injuries, I suspect he's just glad to be back playing tennis. He was truly dreadful against Robin Soderling at Roland Garros but clay is not his surface and he'll be happier on the grass. I feel the same can be said of Anderson, who will enjoy getting plenty of cheap points here. Neither man is a great server so I can see at least one tie-break and potentially a three setter. I feel the overs are the way to go here. Another American that I fancy to prevail at Queen's is Jesse Levine, who takes on Ryan Harrison. Much is expected of Harrison in the States and although he got one round further than Levine in the Nottingham challenger on grass last week (R3), I still feel Levine should have the edge here. Levine won their only previous encounter last year on a hard court and has a bit more experience of main tour events than his teenage counterpart. He's also a lefty and that could unnerve Harrison, who is still not used to playing many of those on the Tour. I expect Harrison to be a big player in time but for the moment, I feel Levine, a journeyman tennis player at best, has got more experienced and should be able to come through this. The -2 game handicap is attractive at 1.901 and I'll be playing that. Igor Kunitsyn and Illya Marchenko meet at Queen's too and I feel the bookies have priced this up incorrectly. Kunitsyn is currently 2.06 and I feel he should be the favourite for this match. Both men aren't vastly experienced on the grass but I feel Kunitsyn has the better game to adapt to it. Both men serve well enough but Kunitsyn is quite adept at the net - the Russian plays a lot of doubles and will know how to volley. Marchenko is still making his way on the Tour and has proven that he is a good indoor hard court player. I still question whether he is good enough yet to make inroads on other surfaces, however, and this match is therefore very winnable for Kunitsyn. Both men are on poor form but I feel the Russian should have the edge in this one. I'm happy to back him at over 2.00 to get the better of a less-experienced grass courter. Selections: - Rajeev Ram at 1.833 with Pinnacle (4/10) - Over 23.5 games between Taylor Dent and Kevin Anderson at 1.877 with Pinnacle (4/10) - Jesse Levine -2 games AH at 1.901 with Pinnacle (3/10) - Igor Kunitsyn at 2.06 with Canbet (3/10) :hope
Full house. Might as well not bother the rest of the week, not going to get any better ;)

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Here are my tips for Halle June 08. Have decided to pick just 4 matches which I genuinly believe can go the way Im predicting.

1) Nicolas Kiefer vs Mikhail Youzhny. Kiefer +1.5 sets. 2.04 @ 188bet

Kiefer has got not only great record in Halle but also against Youzhny. At the moment it's 3 wins each and Kiefer has managed to win at least one set in 5 of 6 matches. He's coming back from injury and this is the best place to do it - at home with his own supporters behind him. Youzhny is a clear favorite here but Kiefer has had very good matches against him in the past. I think the German can win at least one set today.

2) Florent Serra vs Mischa Zverev. Zverev to win. 2.10 @ Ladbrokes

I think bookies have got it wrong this time. Yes, Zverev has not won a match in ages but Serra is not better than the German-Russian player. Zverev is playing at home + indoor conditions will suit him better than Serra. H2H is in favor of Zverev who got to 1/4finals here last year beating Tomas Berdych in the 2nd round. Stats don't lie, I guess Zverev should be favorite here instead of Serra who pretty much sucks on grass. GL!

3) Andreas Beck vs Sergiy Stakhovsky. Beck to win 2.05 @ Pinnacle Stakhovsky has never won a match in Halle main draw. He has played here twice and never got past qualies. Beck was in 1/4 finals a year ago when he obviously was in much more better shape than he is right now. Nevertheless I expect him to step it up because he will playing at home and that is always a massive boost. Both players are struggling for form big time lately but in current circumstances I will back Beck to win. It might be ugly but the end result should be Beck win.

4) Marco Chiudinelli vs Olivier Rochus. Rochus to win 1.67 @ William Hill

Rochus is an obvious choice here without any second thoughts. Chiudinelli prefers faster surfaces which Halle definitely is not. Rochus is a better player here overall and has managed to beat Marco in the past which is always very important. Rochus had a great run in Halle last year getting all the way thru semifinals and losing a close match to Djokovic. Chiudinelli has not won a main draw match on grass for 4 years with last win coming here in Halle... against Rochus. But not Olivier.

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Tomorrow's choice for Queens. Going With Tipsa!

Event Marcel Granollers vs Janko Tipsarevic
Selection Janko Tipsarevic
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.79 (Back)
Reasoning Normally I would pass this one up because of Tipsarevic being involved but Im taking my chances with Janko this time around. The only reason is that he will be playing on grass which he loves more than any other surface. Remember all his great runs @ Wimbledon? Granollers plays on grass very rarely and basically I have no idea why he has entered this tournament as he usually doesn't play warm-up before Wimbledon.

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Already taken Malisse to beat Tursunov at 5/6 (Will Hill:5/10) as I discussed yesterday. And will do a little double aswell with Mahut x Seppi @ 9/10 (Various:3/10) Mahut kills Lu in h2h 4-0 on fast hard surfaces, and on grass he's a better player aswell. Too much game for Lu I think. Seppi plays young Aussie Tomic who is talented, has some similar traits as Murray in his game but on grass his experience is limited. Seppi is a decent player, has a OK record on grass aswell and a good chance to get a win for him here. GL!

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 If Granollers had any sort of decent record on grass I'd give him a shot against Tipsarevic. Tipsa clearly has a good game for grass with a few 4th rounds at Wimbledon but with the shape he's in now, might be worth opposing. And I agree with Psycho on both underdogs Beck and Zverez...think at least one will hit...both winnable matches but gonna leave them.

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 @Psycho: I agree on the Kiefer bet. Worth noting is that he's beaten Youzhny in his last three attempts, twice in straight sets and once 2-1 at Halle. He also generally does well in this tournament, winning in '99 and reaching the final in '02, '03, and, more recently, losing to Federer in the Semi-Finals of '08. The straight win @ 4.42 is tempting, but I'll follow you instead. Youzhny didn't overly impress at the French Open either.

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Here's my tuppence's worth for the day... Roger Federer starts his grass court campaign today and he’s up against Jarkko Nieminen, a man who he holds a 10-0 H2H record against. The Finn certainly isn’t the player he once was and I can see him struggling to contain Federer in this one. It is well-known that the Swiss loves grass and loves this tournament – he’s won it many times – and I can see him wanting to get out of the traps quickly for this match, mainly to avenge the poor result at Roland Garros against Robin Soderling. I’ve hummed and hawed between two bets – Federer -5.5 games or under 19.5 games. Either way, I reckon Federer will probably cover both but I’m going to back the unders line as it offers cover for a 6-4 6-3 result, which isn’t beyond the realms of possibility. Just feel Federer will want to make a statement on grass and should have too much for Nieminen. - Under 19.5 games between Roger Federer and Jarkko Nieminen at 1.971 with Pinnacle (4/10) Xavier Malisse used to be one of the highest rated stars on the tour, especially on grass. Injury has curtailed his progression somewhat but he’s always a player that I look out for on the grass. He’s a former Wimbledon semi-finals, has a huge serve and is comfortable on this surface. Today he takes on Dmitry Tursunov, another player plagued by injury. The Russian is just making his way back on to the Tour and came through the qualifiers, so I expect him to be up to speed on this surface. However, I still question many parts of his game. His mentality is fragile and he dropped sets to two lowly-ranked Brits on the way to the main draw. Malisse also leads the H2H 2-1, with all meetings played on a hard court. I feel he’s in a better place right now than Tursunov, so I expect him to prevail here on the grass at Queen’s. Outright price is a bit skinny, so I’ll take the -1.5 game line at better odds. - Xavier Malisse -1.5 games at 1.877 with Pinnacle (4/10) Dudi Sela must be wondering who has cursed him. After seeing off one huge big-server in Chris Guccione, he takes on another lefty in Gilles Muller. I feel Sela once again will have the edge here. He’ll be used to the style of play from yesterday’s match and Muller gave Michael Przyscieny chances yesterday, it’s just the Pole couldn’t take them. Sela’s a decent grass court player – made R4 at Wimbledon last year and seems to be able to read the bounce and flight on ball here better than others. Muller has got the serve to trouble players but he’s getting on now and isn’t as big a threat as he used to be. Sela has also won their encounter in a Davis Cup tie, where he proved he can break the Luxembourg-native’s serve, and one this year in Rhodes, where he won a shade cosily 6-4 6-2. He’s a little short on the outright prices so I’m taking him on -1.5 handicap at better odds. - Dudi Sela -1.5 games at 1.909 with Pinnacle (4/10) Mischa Zverev takes on Florent Serra in Halle and I’ve got to go with the German in this one. Zverev has been out of form of late but that’s been down to injury more than anything else. He’s now got a few matches behind him and he’ll see this tie with Serra as entirely winnable. He leads the H2H 3-1 and has a better record on grass. Former quarter-finalist at this tournament and will have the backing of the home crowd. His game definitely suits grass – likes to come to the net and attack players. Serra, for me, is more of baseliner. Prefers harder surfaces and clay and generally doesn’t really do much on grass. It’s vital to take Zverev with a bookie that voids on retirements, as Zverev does have a history of injury, but conditions suit him more here. - Mischa Zverev at 2.00 with Canbet (3/10) The last bet I like for today is a double. The cornerstone of it is Marc Gicquel, who takes on Michael Russell at Queen’s. Gicquel’s a decent player by all accounts – he’s getting older but has a rifle of a serve and a forehand. He’s done well on the grass in recent times – went a couple of rounds at Wimbledon last year before losing to Andreas Seppi. He’ll enjoy the conditions more than his opponent, who only seems to perform well in America. He’s got no real record on grass and I expect Gicquel, who is priced in the 1.60s, to prevail in this one. I’m pairing him up with another Frenchman in Nicolas Mahut, who takes on Yen-Hsun Lu. Mahut makes his dosh on the grass – huge serve-volley game and has made the final here before. Lu does his best work on a hard court and I don’t think Mahut’s tactics will sit well with the Asian. Mahut came through the qualifiers too so he’s used to the surface here. Might be a tie-break involved but feel the Frenchman has too much on this surface. He also leads the H2H 4-0. - Double of Marc Gicquel x Nicolas Mahut at 2.09 with Pinnacle (2/10) :hope

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Have decided to have a crack at 3 of the girls' matches early on. There will be some choices a bit later. But here is what I've got thus far:

Event Karolina Sprem vs Kristina Barrois
Selection Karolina Sprem
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Expekt @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning Odds are dropping on Sprem which is absolutely right. She is a former 1/4finalist @ Wimbledon and in my opinion favorite in this match. I was very impressed with Barrois in Strasbourg event where she got to the final and was serving for the firs set against Sharapova. She failed and has not won a match since that day. Sprem leads H2H 1-0 and is finally ok after injury so should be counted as a favorite here not Barrois which is the case with most bookies.
Event Ayumi Morita vs Maria-Elena Camerin
Selection Maria-Elena Camerin
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 2.07 (Back)
Reasoning I am very disappointed with Morita lately and going to bet against her today. The reason is that she has been very poor in past months. Camerin is not much better but I see this match in the Italian's favor just because of a slower surface which will let her make better shot selection. Besides Camerin for me has got better results on grass in the past and in current circumstances is just a little bit better than Morita.
Event Michelle Larcher De Brito vs Olga Govortsova
Selection Michelle Larcher De Brito +4.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 1.82 (Back)
Reasoning 188bet is offering extra half game here which Im taking. I was about to have a crack at De Brito win here but with her adventurous style of play you never know... She had a decent match yesterday and should be ok for this one as well. Govortsova has been in poor form for a very long period of time and not sure she will come back in this tournament.

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 3 more choices from me. This time it's men @ Queens.

Event Dudi Sela vs Gilles Muller
Selection Dudi Sela
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.73 (Back)
Reasoning I had a -2.5 games on Sela yesterday and it didn't work against Guccione. Muller is another of those guys ho have massive serve. Therefore Im a bit cautious here again with Sela so Im taking just a win without a handicap. Sela should win there's no question about it but whether he will cover handicap, Im not sure. One bad set could do the damage here. GL!
Event Rajeev Ram vs Richard Gasquet
Selection Under 20
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.88 (Back)
Reasoning This is almost the same bet I had on Gasquet against Nishikori yesterday. It was total of 21.5 games yesterday and today it's pretty good as well. Ram is all over the place at the moment and I have no idea how he managed to beat Beck yesterday. He will have to serve extremely well to get past Gasquet and even massive serving might not help. Richard clear favorite here. Handicap -5 is another choice but Im a bit coy in that. in a 6-4 6-4 case scenario I have my money back.
Event Nicolas Mahut vs Yen-Hsun Lu
Selection Yen-Hsun Lu +3.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.10 (Back)
Reasoning H2H speaks for itself here with Mahut having won all 4 matches they've played. But I think Lu has a bit of chance here at least to cover this handicap. Mahut is all about serve and his receiving games is not the best so this could easily be done in two tie-breaks or smth like 7-6, 6-4 to Mahut in which case the handicap will be covered. I certainly wouldnt take -3.5 on Mahut so have to take the other way round and back Lu on a handicap.

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Right, I've got a bone to pick. Rajeev Ram bashers, why? The guy has won a grass court tournament and came back from losing the first set 6-1 against Karol Beck to win yesterday. I fully agree that Gasquet will take care of him today but from what's been posted here over the last two days would make him out to be the worst player ever to play the game. And no, I am no relation, nor a friend of Ram. But I don't get this constant lamenting of the guy. He's no worse than a Kevin Anderson/Taylor Dent/Gilles Muller etc.

Here's my tuppence's worth for the day... Roger Federer starts his grass court campaign today and he’s up against Jarkko Nieminen, a man who he holds a 10-0 H2H record against. The Finn certainly isn’t the player he once was and I can see him struggling to contain Federer in this one. It is well-known that the Swiss loves grass and loves this tournament – he’s won it many times – and I can see him wanting to get out of the traps quickly for this match, mainly to avenge the poor result at Roland Garros against Robin Soderling. I’ve hummed and hawed between two bets – Federer -5.5 games or under 19.5 games. Either way, I reckon Federer will probably cover both but I’m going to back the unders line as it offers cover for a 6-4 6-3 result, which isn’t beyond the realms of possibility. Just feel Federer will want to make a statement on grass and should have too much for Nieminen. - Under 19.5 games between Roger Federer and Jarkko Nieminen at 1.971 with Pinnacle (4/10)
Great shout - also just to let you know, Paddy Power are offering EVENS on Under 19.5 games, which I am on for a tidy amount :hope

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 2 more matches from Birmingham WTA...

Event Bethanie Mattek vs Maria Sharapova
Selection Maria Sharapova -5.5 (Asian Handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 1.97 (Back)
Reasoning Sharapova has destroyed Mattek all 3 times they played. The only exception might be clay but other than that there have been blowout wins. The last one came in Memphis earlier this year when Masha lost just 2 games. Mattek had a massive escape yesterday against crappy player like Brianti. Can't see her having what it takes to stand tall against player like Sharapova.
Event Aravane Rezai vs Anastasia Rodionova
Selection Anastasia Rodionova
Strength 10/10
Date 08/06/2010
Bookmaker/Price Expekt @ 3.25 (Back)
Reasoning The odds are dropping on this one and I can see why. Rezai is becoming totally overrated after her win in Madrid tournament last month. She has not lived to expectations after that match and the fact that she has never managed to beat Rodionova in 3 matches won't help. Rodionova had a decent performance against good player on grass in Krajicek and for me she has outstanding chance of progressing to the 3rd round here!

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Sport Tennis Event 05:30 PM Frank Dancevic(CAN)(169) - Dustin Brown(JAM)(106) Selection Dustin Brown(JAM)(106) (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 08/06/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 4.00 (Lay) Reasoning In qualifications for this tournament Dancevic played good ,only wins in 2 sets ,and I think he will have first chance to win and here.Brown is on 106th place ATP,but will be first game for him on grass and certainly will be difficult to adapt with this area.Take lay on Dustin Brown. port Tennis Event 04:15 PM Philipp Kohlschreiber(GER)(35) - Radek Stepanek(CZE)(25) Selection Radek Stepanek(CZE)(25) (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 08/06/2010 Bookmaker/Price Betfair @ 2.80 (Lay) Reasoning Will be first match on grass for both players.But I think Kohlschreiber will win here,because he will play this match on his country,in Germany ,Halle City and also Radek Stepanek played few games in last 4 months this year and certainly is in a modest form.Lay on Stepanek.

Right, I've got a bone to pick. Rajeev Ram bashers, why? The guy has won a grass court tournament and came back from losing the first set 6-1 against Karol Beck to win yesterday. I fully agree that Gasquet will take care of him today but from what's been posted here over the last two days would make him out to be the worst player ever to play the game. And no, I am no relation, nor a friend of Ram. But I don't get this constant lamenting of the guy. He's no worse than a Kevin Anderson/Taylor Dent/Gilles Muller etc.
He's got a crap name. I mean, Rajeev Ram? Sounds like doubles specialist. ;)

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Quoting myself: Mahut is all about serve and his receiving games is not the best so this could easily be done in two tie-breaks or smth like 7-6, 6-4 to Mahut in which case the handicap will be covered. Well, that was fun. Next time should go for correct score :lol

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Small profit today with bigger bet on Malisse coming up. Double lost though, Mahut came through but Seppi being a mug as usual blew it. Btw I can't wait to oppose Murray at Wimbledon this year once he reaches 1/4 or 1/2 final.

Great shout - also just to let you know' date=' Paddy Power are offering EVENS on Under 19.5 games, which I am on for a tidy amount :hope[/quote'] Sickener, only half a game out. Federer won 6-4 6-4. He had plenty of chances in that second set too :sad

Re: Tennis - June 7-13 Thinking about Benneteau for tomorrow to beat the giant Anderson......available at 1.94 at Betfair but around 1.7-1.9 at the bookies. Don't like backing Benneteau as favourite but think he wins this one.Grass not his favoured surface but his displays haven't been terrible on it either...mainly losing to higher ranked/better grass-courters and usually with a bit of fight. He played well beating Clement in rd1, Clement not the player he once was but still solid performance on serve from Benny(don't think he faced a break point). Anderson to me is all serve.....so of course he can win 7-6 7-6 tomorrow but can't see him doing a whole lot on Benneteau's serve. Also didn't play so great against Dent(who is out of form anyway) who had match points in that one before falling away. Can see two players winning alot of points on serve, Benneteau better from the baseline and a better returner....Anderson's weaknesses can be exposed if his serve % drops(he lost to young talented Lithuanian Berankis in straights last week on grass). Anderson is 11-8 on grass but a closer look shows that he's beaten nobody of note. Really thinking about Benneteau here(though I'm slightly reluctant to part with my cash thinking about Benneteau's display in Rome against Volandri as a fave.......:puke....though I'll put some of that down to an inspired display from Volandri and a clash of styles)