** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rio's Racing Diary

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thanks chaps. There is now talk of entering Miss Zooter in the Sandringham Handicap at Royal Ascot :eek She would need to be rated around 90 to stand a chance of getting in & ran off 81 on Saturday. I can't see her going up that much & while I would like a trip to Ascot I'd rather see her with a winning chance than just a big day out. Off early to Musselburgh in the morning. Tom says Press Release is in good order & should go close if he starts owt like. There are a couple fancied in the unraced ones & they could be anything (or nothing) :hope He's just under 2's on Betfair & I'll wait till I get there before having a bet. Marsool is expected to go to Kelso but the final decs aren't till tomorrow. He seems to have lost his way a bit but he's dropped in the weights & might run well at a biggish price. Rio.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I enjoyed the trip to Scotland however both horses ran a bit below expectations. Tom was very confident about Press Release but there were noises that the unraced Bryan Smart horse was fancied also. This turned out to be the case & it dotted up by 5l. Press Release was about 7.5l behind in fourth & at first Tom was very disappointed. Richard Kingscote said that he was feeling the ground a bit & indeed he is reported as been a bit sore since but after we saw the race again we decided that he hadn't run that bad. He took the winner on & was with him for a long way but he paid the price for trying to go with him & faded in the last furlong. Held up a bit he might have got second but the winner is clearly useful & apparently heads for the Norfolk Stakes at Royal Ascot. Didn't manage a winner either, couple of near misses with seconds & just one would have been nice. Stayed overnight near Holyrood Park & then headed for Kelso. Marsool was owned by Hamdan al Maktoum & trained by Marcus Tregoning. He only had two runs for them & then was bought to go hurdling by the club. He started off with a good second at Bangor last August & then won a maiden hurdle at Newton Abbot. Next start I was at Huntingdon on Arc day & watched Sea the Stars win the big race on the big screen & a few minutes later Marsool won again. He made hard work of it though & has not been right since. The ground was very firm that day, he ripped a shoe off during the race & had sore shins after. He's run six times since & looks to have lost the plot, different tactics have been tried & he had cheekpieces on the other day but when asked for an effort he soon dropped away. It's hard to say whats in his head but I think he may be remembering that day at Huntingdon. Theres a couple of pictures of the pair in the parade ring & one of the Crags in Holyrood Park attached. The favourite system has two runners today so it's two singles & a double for the bet. Bet. Canford Cliffs 1.77pts @ 100/30 Bet365 BOG Serena's Pride 1.77pts @ 9/4 Stan James BOG 1.18pt double @ 100/30 & 2/1 Bet365 BOG Rio.

post-484-14429283497233_thumb.jpg

post-484-14429283497495_thumb.jpg

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A good day for the favourite system yesterday with both selections winning. Canford Cliffs was well backed & went off at 9/4 but Serena's Pride went the other way & ended up at 100/30 which I could not believe but I'm not complaining. The 4.72pts staked returns 37.5pts, half to the bank & the rest spread over the next five weeks. Fav System Bank 22.346pts Week 6 stake 8.47pts. Possible trip to Newcastle on Thursday evening. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Off to Newcastle this afternoon for the evening meeting, we have a runner in the 8.40 called Sunrise Safari. He's a 7yo gelding trained by Richard Fahey & he won FTO at Leicester two runs back as mentioned in a previous post. LTO he was sixth at York but he really needs to come off a strong pace & they went a bit steady early on whats a sharp enough track & he goes well at Newcastle which is pretty stiff. On three starts here he's been first, second & third & he won't mind the going. He has a Timeform squiggle which I think is a bit unfair, like a lot of these sprinters that need to come from behind getting through in whats usually a biggish field is never easy & he just needs it to fall right for him. He's off 86 tonight which is about his limit, he did win off 88 once but that was in 2007 & his win at Leicester was off 84. Mullglen & Leonid Glow look two progressive ones but the former looks more a 5f sort. Leonid Glow is another that comes off the pace, won at Thirsk two runs back then met trouble when second at Donny. Ishetoo has some fair form from a while back & won from 5lb higher this time last year, blinkers on today but not shown much in three runs this season. Damika ran well LTO having dropped back to a winning mark but would usually need it a bit easier underfoot. I think he might run well tonight & I've had a small ew bet. Bet. Sunrise Safari 10pts ew @ 7/1 Bet365 BOG. Having had a look at the card I like the look of Tagseed in the 7.00. He's only had three starts despite being a 4yo & looks progressive. I'll be backing him tonight I think. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I'm not very happy. Not with the running of the horse, he does have a mind of his own & can throw in a shocker, there were other things last evening that left a nasty taste in the mouth. I won't go into it here I need to speak to people first. On a better note Tagseed won & paid for the night out. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Apparently Sunrise Safari struck into himself & ripped a shoe off which is why he ran so bad. It's not serious & he should be ok in a few days. I had seen that Transvaal Sky is in the last at Haydock but I think she needs fast ground & I'm a bit wary as they've watered the track & heavy rain is forcast. This could be one of those days where the going ends up completely different to whats in the papers. There are three selections for the Saturday favourite bet this week. Bet. High Standing 2.00 Haydock 15/8 Alrasm 2.15 Newmarket 2/1 Main Aim 3.30 Haydock 11/4 2.12pt trixie, William Hills, 8.48pts staked, all BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 As if often the case the Saturday before the start of a big meeting can be less than appealing. Having worked last night there were a possible three bets for the Saturday favs but no bookies had odds this morning & a look on Betfair suggested that two of them would be odds on which proved to be the case. The other one is Kakatosi in the 8.20 at Lingfield this evening which is just odds against, however there is strong support for the Gosden newcomer Space War & I am inclined to leave the bet alone this week. Next week sees me working & unable to post so it will be the Saturday after for further bets from this angle. On the racing club front the 3yo filly Miss Zooter looks like she has got into the Sandringham at Ascot but we are now told the the filly who was leased from the trainer & his wife as been sold & will not now race for us again. I need to be careful what I say about this but suffice to say I am far from happy for several reasons & believe it does the club no good whatsoever & I'd better just leave it at that. On the footie front most will know I bet on this as well & will be looking to back Slovenia & Serbia tomorrow, good luck to England tonight :hope Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I've made a deliberate effort to cut back on my usual betting & just go in when I really fancy something. I like Byword for the Prince of Wales's stakes today. He looks an improver & ran a blinder LTO when half a length second to Goldikova over 9f in a Group 1 at Longchamp. Back up to 10f today & goes on the ground, he must go well. Cavalryman would be better at 12f & seems to have lost a bit of form since his switch to Godolphin ( not the first to do that ) Twice Over would be a danger on his Champion stakes form but needs to come back from his trip to the desert. Mawatheeq was last seen when second in that Champion Stakes & has had a setback since, might need this. Wiener Walzer is held by Byword from Longchamp. Previs might run well but then again he might not & the rest don't look good enough. Bet. Byword 100pts @ 100/30 Totesport BOG. I've sat & thought long & hard about backing Miss Zooter in the last. I'd love the horse to win, for her not for conections. She has a bit to do being 5lb out of the handicap but she is improving. I've had a small bet just to soften the blow if she does score. Bet. Miss Zooter 10pts @ 12/1 Ladbrokes BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010

Nice one Rio:ok
Thanks BH. The 100pts returned 433.33pts & the horse was backed to 5/2. The young jockey had him in just the right spot & he got first run on Twice Over who was closing at the line. Miss Zooter ran ok to be about 8l seventh. She had gone up 7lb & was 5lb wrong in the handicap so it was a rise of 12lb in total. If she was still ours & I had gone I would have been quite happy, although as I said before I'd rather have gone elsewhere for a better chance than just to say I'd been to the Royal meeting. Still it was not to be & I wonder what her new owners are thinking this evening? I'm going to have to work out the profit/loss angle, next week when I have more time I think. Working the next four days but I've had a look at Ascot for tomorrow & under the new policy of not betting unless I really fancy one I'd not be playing anyway. Be nice if Henry Cecil were to win another Gold Cup though. Sunrise Safari is declared for Redcar on Friday but as I say I'm working, I'll take a closer look at the race tomorrow evening. Rio.

Evening Rio Just enquiring about Sunrise Safari tomorrow, should get a strong pace that you say he needs and a 3lb claimer on board seems to make him well weighted. Timeform says 'flat track not ideal here'. How do you rate his chances?
I have to say I find the "flat track not ideal" comment a bit ludicrous, he does not like going up & down, indeed he has run several times at Ripon which is flat enough & the excuse is he doesn't like the undulations over the first 2/3f. To be honest I don't know, the lad thats on him is 0 from 4 on rides. He is a law to himself, he has the talent to win this but I just feel no somehow & I'm not playing, if anybody wants to back him keep it to a minimum which is all I have done before with him anyway. I've had a look at Ascot tomorrow & fancy Mark Johnston's Corsica in the Queens Vase. He's won this race several times before & he looks the ideal type for this. The O'Brien trained Mikhail Glinka is the danger & Corsica is a bet tomorrow. Bet. Corsica 100pts @ 7/2 Stan James BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Been a bit tied up these last few days & I haven't had chance to update my figures as yet. Off on my travels again today. Coconut Ice makes her return from injury this evening at Hamilton & I'm heading off to Scotland again soon. It's a fair old drop in class for her after her last start in the Listed Lily Agnes & she has only four rivals. Roodee Queen has had eight starts already & looks quite exposed but she did run well over this C&D on her first try at 6f LTO. I'd be a bit disappointed if we can't beat her though. Sophie's Hero ran well at Newcastle FTO but then didn't seem to go on next time at Carlisle, fading into fourth after leading. The ground might have been a bit soft there but again I'd fancy us to beat this one. Mr Shifter hasn't shown enough on two starts to win which leaves the unraced Heartbreak from the Richard Fahey stable. He can get one ready to win FTO but theres not much to go on as the sire Iffraaj is in his first season & from the limited results so far it looks like his offspring need fast ground which we have tonight. At the moment theres only three bookies with odds up & Coconut Ice is best priced 15/8 fav with them & on Betfair. Heartbreak was 3's early but is now in to 5/2 & slightly less on Betfair. I'll see if I can get some 2's or better a bit later I think. She's also been put in a much better race at Chester on Saturday with the intention to run if she goes well tonight which at least makes me think she should be ready for it tonight. Sunrise Safari ran ok at Redcar in fourth & is in the Newcastle race on Saturday that he was third in last year. I can't go to either on Saturday as I'm working the afternoon as a favour :sad I'll be back with a few thoughts before then. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Enjoyed the trip to Hamilton, nice track & managed a winner to go towards the expenses, picture of the grandstand from across the parade ring attached. Unfortunately the winner wasn't Coconut Ice who was fourth about 2l back. After the race Tom was saying it was his fault for telling the jockey to hold her up & we would have been better bowling along but I don't know it's stiff track with the last 4f all uphill & she might not have got home. She doesn't run today, she got stuck in a traffic jam on the M6 on Friday & Tom was a bit doubtful about the draw at Chester anyway (7 of 9). She's entered at Redcar in a 6f nursery next week, Press Release is in a 5f nursery on the same card & the idea is to see what mark they both get. Sunrise Safari is in the 2.30 at Newcastle. The track suits & he should get the fast pace he needs to come off. He's 3lb higher than when third in this race last year but the jockey takes off 7lb. He is not an easy ride & I'm a bit worried that the lad on top might not be strong enough & I think he needs to drop 2 or 3lb to win again. I have backed him but only to a small stake. Tom was quite keen on Jonny Mudball in this but the yard is not in form & I'm waiting till they show signs of turning the corner before backing any. Bet. Sunrise Safari 5pts ew @ 16/1 Stan James BOG. One I do fancy today is Deauville Flyer in the Plate at Newcastle. I saw this win at York a couple of weeks back & thought they might go for this early closer. The 5lb pen just gets him in at the bottom & gives him a mark of 89 here & after that York win he has gone up to 95. He looks a big improver at this trip, goes on the ground & has a single figure draw which is a big plus. Bet. Deauville Flyer 100pts @ 4/1 Hills BOG. Two runners for the saturday favourite bet this week. Dr green in the 2.25 at Windsor & Jaahiz in the 6.40 at Donny. Bet. Dr Green 4pts @ 11/8 Bet365 BOG Jaahiz 4pts @ 11/10 Bet365 BOG Double 2.674pts. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Right I've finally got round to sorting out my figures. I've only had two bets from the list of horses from the Tom Dascombe stable vist. Pity I didn't take note when he said Jonny Mudball would win on Saturday as the damn thing bolted up at 5/2 & there was at least twice those odds available in the morning. Rather like Blue Jack earlier in the season I fear I've now missed the boat with this one, he's up 9lb to 99 & he's entered in the Group 3 at Sandown on Saturday & handicaps look off the agenda for now. T D List W/R 0/2 Stakes 50pts Returns 0pts P/L -50pts Racing Club bets W/R 2/11 Stakes 240pts Returns 355pts P/L +115pts I've included the bet I had on Miss Zooter in here but if I ever back her again it won't be as a Racing Club bet. Flat Season bets W/R 1/3 Stakes 300pts Returns 433.33pts P/L +133.33pts I've been kicking myself for backing Deauville Flyer, too short a price in that sort of race & handicaps are now off the agenda for these bets. Finally the Saturday favourite system had one winner from the two selections which returned 9.5pts. As usual half is banked & the rest split over the next five weeks. Fav System Bank 39.996pts Week 9 stake 11.624pts. Coconut Ice & press Release have been declared for Redcar tomorrow evening, both making their handicap bows in 6 & 5f nurseries. I will be going & will post some thoughts before setting off tomorrow. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 It seems the Timeform boys don't fancy Coconut Ice, She's been given a mark of 74 & they have her as the lowest rated on their figures. I reckon she ran 7-8lb below her Chester/Ripon form last week & she should improve for the run. However the one that won that Hamilton race Roodee Queen is also in here. She beat us about 2l giving us 1lb if you knock our jockeys claim off & tonight we have to give her 6lb + the 5lb their lad is claiming, if we take that form at face value we have no chance. I'm hoping she runs better & expect tonight that we'll be up near the pace, I've had a small bet just in case. Looking at the race I quite fancy the top one Mappin Time. Got no run LTO at Thirsk & should like the step up in trip & I've had a bet on this one. Bets. Coconut Ice 5pts ew @ 18/1 Stan James BOG Mappin Time 20pts @ 8.4 Betfair. Again Press Release is not well rated by the Halifax mob but this looks a tight affair with the field on their numbers covered by 2lb except for Madam Markievicz who's rated 4lb clear of the rest. That ones been running in sellers & claimers & I think our lads a bit better than that. With more restraint he'd have been a bit closer to Excel Bolt at Musselburgh & that ones done the form no harm. I think if he settles a bit better he could go quite well tonight. Bet. Press Release 20pts @ 7/1 Stan James. Looking at the rest of the card I like Philosophers Stone in the 8.20. This one won a Catterick maiden two runs back & then improved on that on his handicap bow over 5f at this track LTO. Step up to 6f should suit & is off the same mark as that last start, must go well here. Bet. Philosophers Stone 20pts @ 5/1 Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Not a good night at Redcar. Coconut Ice was sixth beaten nearly 9l, she again broke well & was up there for 4f before coming under pressure & weakening through the last furlong. Afterwards the jockey Richard Kingscote said he thought she didn't stay which is how it looked but she seemed to get the stiff 6f at Hamilton last week. It looks like the plan now is to drop back to 5f & into maiden company again. Tom says theres a race at Folkestone next week & she could go there. Mappin Time plugged on for third, the winner looked quite useful. Press Release looked well after his break & Tom thought if he ran up the Chester form he would go close. He broke well which was good because he didn't get away the first couple of runs & was bang there to the last furlong but when asked to go on he again hung, this time left away from the other runners. In the end he was also sixth beaten 2.5l. Afterwards Richard said 'still weak, a big baby, who didn't know what to do when I asked him to quicken' Asked if headgear was the way he said not yet, give him a chance. Tom was more damning, noting that it was the colt's fourth run and frankly he should have learnt by now. At this point gelding was suggested but that would mean two months off & it looks like headgear will be tried next, possibly at Lingfield next week. Theres no doubt that it's not going well for the yard & they need a change of luck. Just to round things off Philosophers Stone finished last of the ten runners to leave me 70pts down on the night. If I try to keep these bets when I go racing separate from the club bets I'll end up losing track. Racing Club bets W/R 2/15 Stakes 310pts Returns 355pts P/L +45pts We did have Arabian Spirit in the last at Haydock today but he's a non runner, the ground is too fast. I'm back at work next week so no trip to Lingfield or Folkestone for me, we might have one at York next Friday. I was looking at Haydock with a view to something to pay for the day out. Roger Charlton looks to have a few with chances. Berling ought to win the opener but is odds on. After last week I'll leave the big handicap alone & I'd decided that I'd go with Genki in the 4.35. This one won the Stewards Cup last year & then ran ok after. Two races this season & he's run really well from poor draws at Newmarket & when first home on his side in the Wokingham in sixth. Still looks to be improving, the stable is flying. Bet. Genki 100pts @ 15/8 Totesport BOG. The Saturday favourite bet this week has three selection so it's a trixie with the stake rounded down even so slightly to make it easier. Bet. Nellie Ellis 2.30 Leicester 6/4 Twice Over 3.10 Sandown 9/4 Beachfire 5.25 Sandown 15/8 2.9pt trixie @ Bet365 BOG. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A good day which would have been excellent had Nellie Ellis not flopped at Leicester after being backed into 8/11. However Twice Over & Beachfire won & the bet returned 24.28pts, there was a rule 4 of 15p for Mawatheeq who wouldn't go in the stalls. Half goes to the bank & the other split by five to the next five weeks stakes. Fav System Bank 52.137pts Week 10 stake 13.708pts. Genki got up late at Haydock to land the other bet & return 287.5pts. Flat Season bets W/R 2/4 Stakes 400pts Returns 720.83pts P/L +320.83pts Back to work on nights next week but I'll have an eye on the 2yo's should they run & the July meeting, otherwise it's York on Friday :hope Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Just a quick post, worked last night & ready for bed. Press release is in the first at Lingfield. Only six runners & he has stall 6 & a first time visor, the jockey takes off 5lb. No idea how he'll take to the headgear or the surface or the track, looks a poor lot though. He's about 4's on Betfair & I think I'll give it a miss. Miss Zooter is in the first at Newmarket which looks a hot handicap & I'm not backing her either. Rio. :zzz

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 "If he can't win this then we're in a spot of bother" I guess we're in bother then, Press Release was third beaten just over 2l & again it seems not putting it in at the finish. I suspect a vist from the man with two bricks looms. Miss Zooter was seventh the form comment on Sporting Life reading, "in rear, not clear run 1f out, switched right and ran on towards finish under a hand ride, not reached leaders" However I've just watched the race & she was slow out, held up & asked for an effort after the 2f marker & ran on at one pace for me. I've only just found out you can watch Racing Uk races on Sporting Life by clicking on the little camera at the side of the result, most usefull. Having looked at the race tomorrow if Coconut Ice doesn't win that then we're in more than a spot of bother. The Channon horse was fancied on debut but was last of eight so is probably better than that. It looks like Loved to Bits won't run, the rest that have run have shown little or nothing which leaves the Cowell FTO filly. She traps well so if she pops out, makes it at a good sensible pace she should have enough left to score. The only betting at this time is Betfair who don't have Loved to Bits as a runner, the overround is 150%ish & Coconut Ice is around 1/5. She'll be odds on & I won't be playing but I will rise from the pit to watch. Saharia has been declared for York on Friday & has copped stall 20 of 20 which I wasn't sure about but looking at the last ten years a high draws done well. Don't know if I've got a paddock spot yet. Rio.

:clap I got evens this morning which looked a great price seeing how easily she won.
I'm very pleased for her & hope that will have done her confidence the world of good & the stable as well. I have a paddock place for York tomorrow but am working tonight I'll try & put up something before I go but will be pushed for time. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I have to say that was a shocker, Seb Sanders got off after & said he just felt like a tired horse. Hopefully something comes to light in the next day or so to explain the run because he's got to be better than that, at the moment though it's a mystery. Racing Club bets W/R 2/16 Stakes 350pts Returns 355pts P/L +5pts A potential six runners for the Saturday favourite system this week but one is not the actual fav & three are odds on. Lord Shanakil just qualifies at evens with a couple of firms but I don't like betting at Chester & he's easy to leave alone. The one left is Catalinas Diamond in the first at Nottingham. she's run well in all three starts despite seeming very green, probably should have won at Bath FTO when not fancied & the two that beat her at Leicester looked quite useful but nothing has come out & won from both those races since. Her last run was in the Queen Mary which looked like a day out for the owners but she ran a blinder to finish fifth which is far better form than owt thats run has shown so far. However there are a few making their debuts here including one from Cecil, another from Swinburn & the McMahon filly thats halved in price since this morning. It's a system but nobodys got my arm up my back telling me I have to bet so I've decided not to play this week. The York card looks a minefield, I don't fancy anything in the Summer mile & the rest of that cards nothing special & I've already said I don't bet at Chester so it looks like a watching day for me. Rio.