** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rio's Racing Diary

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thanks for that guys. Coconut Ice is in the first at Kempton tonight, a claimer which will be her last run before going to the sales. I have been working nights & had a quick look this morning but there were only the exchanges pricing up & she was around 10.0. Since then three have dropped out including two that would have been somewhere around second favourite. On her best form she would have a chance but would still need to find a bit to beat the favourite Chevise. She has a good draw but so does the favourite & I have no idea if she will go on the surface. The major concern is the stable form, its been 31 days & 33 runners since they had a win. I really would like to have seen her run one more time as I'm very fond of her, I've had a small bet just in case. She's generally 7's but there was still a bit of 10.0 at Betfair which doesn't inspire hope, the place terms are slightly better too. Bet. Coconut Ice 5pts @ 10.0 & 10pts place @ 2.76 Betfair. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Coconut Ice ran ok to be fourth & that looks like it for her & Press Release who are both heading for the sales it seems. Sunrise Safari won prize money of just under £2k & has he will be an 8yo next year it is now to be decided if he too will be sold or will he run more in claimers next season. Arabian Spirit is to try a novice hurdle it seems & we have been promised some news about the jumps as well. Its to be hoped thats not it because we only have Saharia who will probably run on the aw during the Winter which would mean runners would be thin on the ground. Racing Club bets W/R 19/75 Stakes 2024pts Returns 2147.08pts P/L +123.08pts I have decided to take myself off to Aintree today, no race over the big fences though, I've had a few early price bets as usual. 2.10 Mille Chief is expected to go places but would need to win this well to do so, hardly looks chucked in & Westlin Winds is closely weighted with him on Kempton running at Xmas. I like Nearby from the in form Hobbs yard. Up 10lb for a win at Bangor two weeks ago but looks progressive & the runner up has won since. Bet. Nearby 15pts win, 10pts place @ 10/1 Bet365 BOG. 2.45 This looks between Fortysecondstreet, Big Burrows & Safari Adventures. I'll go with the latter who won over C&D LTO in June. Bet. Safari Adventures 20pts @ 9/2 Coral BOG. 3.25 Theres no doubt that at the weights Tartak is well in here on his last run behind Albertas Run over C&D in April. He did though flop in this race last year but the trainer is reported as saying they have him much fitter this time. With Poquelin still open to improvement & Monet's Garden a twice winner of this I'm inclined just to watch this race. 4.00 The top one here Bescot Springs used to be owned by the club. He won at Ludlow in the Spring but was generally a bit of a let down & he left Philip Hobbs. Won first time up for his new connections :eyes but still doesn't look straightforward. In a wide open race I'll risk a bet on Daring Origyn who at least is open to improvement at this trip. Daring Origyn 15pts win, 10pts place @ 12/1 Bet365 BOG. 4.35 Some interesting oldtimers in this & a few with course form but I'll take Our Jasper who's another thats not straightforward but ran well under an amateur on his return at Ludlow & AP takes over. Bet. Our Jasper 20pts @ 15/2 Coral BOG. I'll give the last two a miss I think. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 That turned out to be quite a good day in the end. Nearby won the first, always nice to have an early winner. Safari Adventures came a cropper at the first in the back straight. Cheered home Monet's Garden in the feature race, great stuff. Daring Origyn wasn't going to win approaching the last but looked good for the place & then nearly ended up on the floor, Young Jake Greenhall got him going though & just held on for fourth to sneak the place. Even better the SP was 16/1 for a bit more off the BOG. Our Jasper was always up near the lead but was fading when he tipped up & almost put AP into orbit. It looked nasty but on the big screen he seemed to walk away ok. 90pts staked returned 250pts. Racing Club bets W/R 21/79 Stakes 2114pts Returns 2397.08pts P/L +283.08pts Pics attached are, Nearby winning the first, Monet's Garden in the parade ring & the winners enclosure & the bronze of Red Rum. Rio.

post-484-14429283503769_thumb.jpg

post-484-14429283504077_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Arabian Spirit ran at Ayr on Saturday, I had intended posting that morning but after working Friday night I could hardly keep my eyes open. He ran much better than at Newcastle & came third. Thats it for the flat this season but he is going to have a go in a novice hurdle with Musselburgh the likely venue later this month. Both the 2yo's have left the club. Press Release has gone to Michael Owen's wife Louise just as a riding horse & his racing career is over. Coconut Ice went to the sales & was bought by the Grove stud in Ireland, I wish her well. Saharia has left Jeremy Noseda & gone to Ollie Pears with a view to running on the aw during the Winter. We had been promised some news about the jumps but I was begining to think it wasn't going to happen. However it has been announced that we have two new horses. Red Merlin has been bought from Clive Cox's yard & has gone to Donald McCain's to go novice hurdling. This one has some useful form on the flat at middle distances & won the Old Newton Cup at Haydock in 09. The other one is a 3yo called Plenty Pocket & is part owned by Clive Smith who owns Kauto Star & Master Minded & other top jumpers. He has gone to Paul Nicholls so the first thing is lets have a stable vist ASAP. I've got a bit of time off coming up soon so I'm looking at getting off to a track or two I haven't been to yet. Rio.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 The problem with this getting about lark is that when it goes quiet it's bloody boring. Very little as happened over nearly three weeks & last week when I had some time off I was close to climbing the walls. I suppose I could have gone to Cheltenham but getting somewhere to stay for whats the most popular meeting there after the festival would have been hard at short notice. I half toyed with going to Wetherby on Saturday but the card was poor. Anyway as suggested Arabian Spirit goes to Musselburgh tomorrow for his first try over hurdles. So I'm typing this in my hotel room some 200 miles from home & looking forward to what tomorrow brings. However I have gone the wrong way & find myself just to the west of London in the same hotel that I have stayed in for my Kempton trips. I don't think I've lost the plot, I had looked at making this trip before Arabian had been entered. I'm going to Ascot for the first time tomorrow & am staying over for Saturday as well, then on my way home on Sunday the plan is to call in at Towcester. I've had a quick look at the Musselburgh race but will try to delve a bit deeper later. On first impressions it doesn't look the strongest event & I have the feeling that the law of sod may strike in that I'm some 400+ miles away & he may decide to stick his head in front, there are though plenty of unknowns in the race. I'll take myself off for a bite to eat & get stuck into the Ascot card later, more to follow, if not tonight then in the morning. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 No thoughts yet from the Timeform mob on Arabian's chances at Musselburgh. The one with form is Michelle's Express who has a win & a second from the last two runs & has to give us 7lb because of the win. Changed trainers as well & is now with Tony Martin so that would be the one to beat. That'll Do Nicely has run some good races on the flat this year & over a bit further than our lad but we are rated at least 10lb better than him on the level. Dhaular Dhar is another with decent flat form & was a fair second over hurdles at Donny last December but weakened quickly at Aintree on his other start over timber last month. There could be something lurking in the rest thats yet to try jumping of course. Arabian is a best priced 2/1 just now. Is that a fair price given that we don't know if he'll jump or stay, it looks a weak race though. As for Ascot The first race looks between Frascati Park who has form over hurdles but looks less than straight forward & the stable is entering it's usual early Winter dip. Made in Time who won nicely at Stratford LTO but has to give 6lb for that & Sprinter Sacre who's won two bumpers, is from an in form yard, although they have needed a run some of them. That one would be the choice but 11/10 is skinny. In the 1.35 Master of the Hall is similar in that it's from the same stable, is first time over fences & is a bit short at the same price to get involved. Fredo ended last season with a pulled up & a fall but ran ok FTO behind the promising Tell Massini. Pause an Clause has the best hurdles form but doesn't look a natural over fences. Megastar was a fine 5th in the Cheltenham bumper & then won the Aintree version. Ought to dot up here but 1/2, no thanks. The four runners handicap chase looks the trickiest race on the card & a case can be made for them all. The three mile chase looks to be between Den of Iniquity, Far more Serious & Quinz. I just prefer the latter, who at 6yo is open to improvement & looks to have got his jumping problems ironed out when winning at Exeter on his return. I took the 15/8 with Paddy but I see Sportingbet are going 2's however they are not BOG. Bet. Quinz 40pts @ 15/8 Paddy power BOG. Another hotpot in the last with Aegean Dawn who's due to go up 21lb tomorrow for his win at Cheltenham last Friday & gets in here with no pen as that was a conditionals race. Again it ought to dot up but not for me at around 1/2. Right I've just taken the 2/1 Arabian at Paddy's, the only other bookie going that price are Sky & they're not BOG. Bet. Arabian Spirit 40pts @ 2/1 Paddy Power BOG. Time to get ready, Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I would think thats the end of any NH career for Arabian Spirit & a rest before a return to the flat on turf next Spring beckons. Quinz did the business in the other bet, jumped superbly & came home 14l clear. 80pts returned 115pts. Racing Club bets W/R 22/81 Stakes 2194pts Returns 2512.08pts P/L +318.08pts Early start today so this is short & to the point. 12.55 Royal Collonges gets top weight in a novice handicap for his first go over fences. 1.30 Manele Bay should come on for the run here 3 weeks ago 2.35 Talk that Karabak can turn round last years form in this on 6lb better terms & with stable in better form but I like Zaynar for this. He's goes fresh & this would be a big target for him as I can't see him been quick enough for the Champion Hurdle & not good enough to take Big Buck's crown. 3.10 I'm looking to take on Woolcombe Folly, probably with Cockney Trucker but have not bet yet. Up at Haydock Grands Crus looks chucked in for the Fixed Brush Hurdle but is a skinny price. I have backed What a Friend in the Betfair, if he's going to win the Gold Cup he needs to at least go close today. Bets. Royal Collonges 30pts @ 7/2 Coral BOG. Manele Bay 20pts @ 6/1 Bet365 BOG. Zaynar 50pts @ 13/8 Ladbrokes BOG. What a Friend 30pts @ 7/2 Ladbrokes BOG. Cockney Trucker 20pts on course. Zaynar 50pts on course @ 6/4 or better. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Well that was a shocker yesterday, the only one that made any show was Royal Collonges who jumped quite well for a long way but then faded out of it when I thought he would be staying on. Manele Bay was never going. Zaynar was a major let down & was under pressure very early. Cockney Trucker.... Well I'm speechless. It's a bit galling to watch Nicholls win three on the bounce & then What a Friend is never going at Haydock. 200pts down on the day. On days like those you need a sense of perspective, it could have been worse, I could have had a day like McCoy who ended up on the floor three races running. The last one was a nasty looking fall & he did well to get up. Master Minded was a joy to watch though. Racing Club bets W/R 22/86 Stakes 2394pts Returns 2512.08pts P/L +118.08pts Now the idea was to call in at Towcester on my way home, however having looked at the card I'm not going to bother. Even free entry can't tempt me to watch that rubbish. Rio.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 After a long quiet spell theres some action today at last. Red Merlin makes his debut for the club in the 12.55 at Newbury. I can't go, too much to do at this time of the year & it's a 7/8 hour round trip. There are 22 runners & its a hot looking race of its type with three from Henderson & two each from Hobbs & Pipe in the field. Of those with hurdle form Zarinski has run well but has been off for over a year. Pateese ran ok in third at Exeter on his hurdle debut & its interesting that Richard Johnson is on this one & not the stables other runner Kartanian who has some decent bumper form & makes his hurdles debut here. Minella Class has a first start for Henderson after being bought from Ireland in the Spring for £95k. This is another with decent bumper form from the last two runs but didn't jump well at Downpatrick on a first run over hurdles around this time last year. Pipes Shooting the Breeze has a first start & his other Poole Master is yet another with bumper form but not quite at the level of the others. Of those arriving from the flat Cotillion has form on softish ground at around 14/16f & Clowence House is similar but has been off for 459 days. Red Merlin goes on any ground & his flat form is well ahead of these. He won the valuable Old Newton Cup at Haydock in 09 off a mark of 92 & was as high as 103 after that. He won at Warwick over 11f on heavy in October after dropping back to a mark of 90 & then was beaten under 2l at Ascot five days later with a 6lb pen. That was his last start & he is said to be schooling well for his first go at the jumps. This is not a race I'd bet in normally, too many uknown factors but I'll have a small win bet just in case. Bet. Red Merlin 20pts @ 7/1 Bet365 BOG. Saharia is entered at Wolverhampton on Friday. Again I can't go I have a prior engagement, I'll have a look at that race later. Finally we have another new recruit, again from France & again with Paul Nicholls & co-owned by Clive Smith. This ones a 3yo gelding called Indian Daudaie & hes already run over hurdles in France, winning the second of his three starts at Auteuil this autumn before finishing runner-up to Tanais du Chenet in the Group 1 Prix Cambaceres there last time. He won't be out till the new year like the other one Plenty Pocket. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A good run FTO over hurdles from Red Merlin on Wednesday to finish second. The winner could be quite useful & he had the rest well behind with 6l to the third. I should think he'll out again in about 10 days or so, weather permitting, hopefully somewhere a bit closer to home & when I'm not working. Racing Club bets W/R 22/87 Stakes 2414pts Returns 2512.08pts P/L +98.08pts Saharia goes in the 3.15 at Wolverhampton, a 7f handicap. There are two non runners leaving a field of 10 & it looks a hot enough race of its type. Hulcote Rose looks an improver having won its last two, both here. Whispering Spirit also seems to be running well & is a three time C&D winner. Mr Macattack is also a three time winner round here & the Dascombe yard is finally showing some form with four wins from six in December. Bawaardi should go well too with Eddie Ahern an interesting booking. Saharia was 9th of 11 on his first run for the stable at Lingfield but was only beaten 4l, they've been out of form too but had their first winner since September yesterday. He did win a C&D maiden just over a year ago & he might run well on his first run here since. I'll have a very small ew just in case. Bet. Saharia 5pts ew @ 11/1 Hills. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Thanks, its looking quite interesting just now with Red Merlin & the two new ones with Nicholls. Saharia was fifth & never looked like making the frame, he should drop a pound or two which would mean he could drop in grade a bit & hopefully find a weaker race. Racing Club bets W/R 22/88 Stakes 2424pts Returns 2512.08pts P/L +88.08pts Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 A very quiet time at the moment due to the weather although we nearly had some action yesterday. Having worked nights last week I rose from the pit on Friday lunchtime to see that Red Merlin had been declared for the last race at Catterick yesterday, however a couple of hours later the track failed an inspection :sad I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms, after donkeys years of being a stay at home punter I've got into going to the track & am itching to get back at it. Apparently Donald McCain is thinking of putting Red Merlin in the Tolworth Hurdle at Sandown next Saturday, which is a heck of a step up from the Catterick novice. The plan is to look at the strength of opposition before deciding if he'll run. There's also talk of putting him in the Totesport Trophy & possibly the Supreme Novices at the Festival :eek At the moment I'd be happy with a small race somewhere. I'd quite fancy the Sandown trip, I've not been there yet but it would mean booking a couple of shifts off next weekend & with doubts about him running & maybe the cold snap returning I'll have to give that a miss. The two with Nicholls are said to be going well. Plenty Pocket has yet to make his hurdles debut & the plan seems to be to find a maiden hurdle somewhere at one of the smaller tracks from around the middle of the month. The other one Indian Daudaie has already got some decent hurdle form & is being aimed at the Finesse Hurdle at Cheltenham at the end of the month. I'm off for that so I'd be looking to make the trip down. I've enjoyed getting around & seeing some tracks that I've never been to. The highlights would be Aintree, Ascot, Kempton & Newmarket & I really enjoyed the trip to Ayrshire but theres still a good few to go at yet. I've half toyed with the idea of trying to do all the UK tracks, I'm past halfway at 35 so far but some might take a bit of getting to. As its new year I thought I'd set a target or two. Having been on the Rowley course I'd like to get to the July course this year, probably one of the Friday night, Saturday day meetings depending who the turn is after racing. I'd also like to get to Goodwood at some point & the aforementioned Sandown. A happy new year to all, Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I've just had a look & Red Merlin is indeed entered for the Tolworth on Saturday. Along with Drill Sergeant whose now also with Donald McCain having raced on the flat with Mark Johnston & already has shown some smart jumps form. Also in the race is Megastar who won at Ascot when I was there in November & was then second to Rock on Ruby at Newbury. Two from Henderson, one is two from two since arriving from the flat & the other is Minella Class who beat Red Merlin at Newbury. Theres also two from Nicholls, Toubab who beat Drill Sergeant at Haydock LTO & which had some smart form last Spring & something called Sam Winner, now where have I heard about that? Oh thats right its the current favourite for the Triumph :eek Looks a warm race is a bit of an understatement. What is interesting is that Red Merlin is also in the 12.20 at Sedgefield on Sunday (so is Drill Sergeant) a bit more lukewarm me thinks. So many questions Where will he run, if anywhere? Will Sedgefield be on or Sandown for that matter? Can I get to Sedgefield if he runs there? Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Red Merlin has been declared for the Tolworth tomorrow, the thought was that the race would cut up & indeed there are only five runners. The others are Act of Kalanisi, Megastar, Minella Class & Toubab so hes got a bit on his plate I reckon. Heavy rain last night & more to come so there could be an inspection needed at Sandown, with the weather turning again I suspect that Sedgefield will be off anyway. I'm working tonight so I'll have a look in the morning. I'm thinking that there might be a change in policy with the club in that they may be trying to get runners at the weekend & bigger meetings which while it might attract a few more members means it will probably be harder to get an owners badge. Indian Daudaie is again listed for the Cheltenham trials day on the 29th & Plenty Pockets new target is at Kempton a week tomorrow, a card which is set to include both the Xmas Hurdle & the King George. So much for the minor meeting debut. I also note that both have appeared in the betting for the Triumph but only on Betfair, WBX & 32red. Indian Daudaie is around 20's & Plenty Pocket is mid 30's but only to small money, I'd not be taking an interest just yet. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Scratching my head a bit with this one. I can't see why Red Merlin would turn round Newbury form with Minella Class at the same weights or beat Toubab or even Magastar for that matter. Only two places so I'm not tempted, it's been a long night so I'll watch it when I get up. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Very tough race and as much as i think red merlin will improve on his first run, I see this one as a two horse race between toubab and megastar. Can't really make my mind up between the 2 though. Toubab very impressive last time out and megastar 2nd in the fog against the potentially classy rock on ruby. Anyone have any thoughts on this race? I'm probably edging towards megastar...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I wanted to see what was said on the club web site before commenting on Red Merlins run on Saturday. Reading between the lines I reckon theres a few had a bit of a pop at the decision to run, with comments on plenty of discussion taking place before he was allowed to run etc. The trainers blaming himself for running & the ground for the poor perfomance which would look about right to me. He's said to be physically fine after the run but it remains top be seen if its affected him between the ears. All I'll say if if somebody had made me run 2 miles round a ploughed field & wacked me with a stick when I wouldn't run on it then I wouldn't be right happy. The plan now is to look for better ground & a drop in class. The really daft thing for me is that he was entered at Leicester on Tuesday & also at Catterick on Thursday. I suppose that was in case Sandown was off though. Saharia has been entered at Wolverhampton on Friday. I'm working so won't be going, he's dropped back to 6f & I'll have a look Thursday evening. Plenty Pocket is indeed entered at Kempton on Saturday, again I am working & I'll have a look Friday. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Saharia is declared for Friday at Wolverhampton, I'll have a look tomorrow evening. I won't say I'll see what the Timeform boys think as the info coming out at the moment is sketchy to say the least. Yet again Plenty Pockets target has been moved, yes he's in the first of nine races at Kempton on Saturday but now it seems he's likely to wait for Newbury next Wednesday or Ascot on the 22nd. He's been working with Brampour who's also in that race at Kempton & looks like he will run there. I'll be interested to see how that one gets on. Not bad news that though as I'm off for both Newbury & Ascot & would fancy a trip to either. Ascot would be nice as I'm told the pork scratchings & mucky fat sarnies are top notch in the owners & trainers, we shall see. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Well I've had a look at Saharia's race tomorrow (Wolves 5.10) & a tight looking affair it appears to be & theres plenty with course form. Chief amongst these is Ajara whose won 4 of her last 5, all here & is from the suddenly in form Dascombe yard. Jigajig was just touched off by the former here LTO & at the weights there won't be much between them here. The Timeform boys like the chances of Rapid Water who's having only his second run for Jane Chapple-Hyam & has the blinkers back on. Actually when you look at it you could probably find a case for most of these to run well, including our lad who's going to pop up at a price somewhere. Hopefully I'll know where & when & be able to tip the wink but for now he's 12's & I'll have a small ew just in case. Bet. Saharia 5pts @ 12/1 ew Bet365 BOG. I think he's still very unexposed on turf & it wouldn't suprise me if he popped up in a small race on fastish ground over 7f or so a bit later on, we'll see. Rio.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 First off I should tidy up from Saharia's run last week. The Jockey said he got baulked at the start & lost all chance. The result says that the race as thought was wide open & owt could have won. As I say he will pop up at a price somewhere & the plan is now to give him a break & freshen him up for the new turf season. Racing Club bets W/R 22/89 Stakes 2434pts Returns 2512.08pts P/L +78.08pts So after a few days of wondering whats going on it seems we have a new direction for the racing club. Betfair sponser at every racecourse & club members will have the chance to ask for free tickets at loads of meetings. Any spare tickets are up for grabs for Betfair users, so keep your eyes peeled you might get in for nowt somewhere. It also seems that Betfair are to run comps with the prizes being a chance to have a percentage membership of the club, ie say two months free, so as well as free tickets it might be possible to get in the parade ring somewhere as well. I must say that this is not me promoting the club, I'm happy as it is because I've yet to be knocked back for a parade ring place & long may it continue, however if we need some new members to keep going so be it. Having watched & waited & seen two entries for Plenty Pocket passed over this week he is now declared at Ascot tomorrow. I applied for a owners badge more in hope than owt else as this is one of the Betfair free entry days & all those who applied for that were in the draw for that parade ring. It was with much delight therefore that I had an e-mail earlier today telling me that not only have I got a ticket in but have landed an owners badge in the draw as well. Therefore I am now once again in my favoured hotel to the west of London tapping the keyboard on my laptop & looking forward to tomorrow. I'll post my thoughts for the card in the morning as it was a bit of a last minute thing to get down here & having just had a nice steak & a glass or two of vino I am ready for some kip. Red Merlin is in at Musselburgh next Wedsnesday & is also to be put in at Donny on the Friday, I will see after the weekend about that. I'll ask if Indian Doudie is to go to Cheltenham next Saturday tomorrow. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010

I see that Indian Doudie is the horse the 5% share is for in the Nicholls/Betfair Poker tournement on Sunday. Really stepping up the marketing as you say, have a good day, hope jack frost stays away Rio, flipping cold in Leicester at the minute:ok
Bit worried last night as the cars were all frosted up but this morning its all gone & there was a spot of rain in the air when I had a walk to the paper shop. Had a few bets as usual. 12.40 I like Osric for this, looks progressive & has won at the trip, ground should be no problem & stable flying. Forget It had this as 2nd preference but Wincanton are having a second look because of the frost so it may come here anyway & would be the one to beat. 1.15 The news is that Plenty Pocket as done well since he arrived from France & was gelded. Of those that have run Grandouet has very smart form & looks the one to beat & I'd be disappointed not to beat the rest that have run. There could of course be owt or nowt in the others that have yet to run but then our lad is in that bracket as well. He's half owned by Clive Smith & will take alternate runs in his & the clubs colours so today we're in the Kauto Star/Master Minded silks. Cross everything :hope 1.50 Carole's Legacy has smart form at this level & L'accordioniste & Spaky May look the improvers. I'm going with L'accordioniste to go on again at this step up in trip. 2.25 Hoping for another top display of jumping from Master Minded, no bet in this one though. 2.55 The market seems to favour the Pipe runner Notus de la Tour & he has the old boy Lough derg in as well who's likely to bowl along in front & make this a real test which ought to suit Soldatino who won the Triumph when Barizan blazed away in front & he'll do for me. 3.30 If he doesn't bounce after his comeback run then Breedsbreeze would be the one I'd fancy most today. Nicholls sounds quite bullish in his Betfair column & says the horse is going well at home & the 38 days since that last run is just the break he needs. 4.05 When I was here in November I was very taken with Poungach who whatever he does over hurdles looks a chaser to me. He stayed on well for third that day & can go well again today. Bets. Osric 40pts @ 7/4 Coral BOG. Plenty Pocket 20pts @ 4.3 Betfair. L'accordioniste 40pts @ 9/4 Paddy Power BOG. Soldatino 20pts @ 4/1 Coral BOG. Breedsbreeze 40pts @ 7/4 Paddy Power BOG, I'll have the same bet on course. Poungach 20pts @ 9/2 Coral BOG. Right time to get ready. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Back home again after what was a most disappointing day yesterday. In the parade ring before the race the trainer seemed relaxed & confident of a good run, he was not the same after. Amongst a cast of what seemed like thousands that were there, especially from Betfair, there was also the bloodstock agent who had bought Plenty Pocket Anthony Bromley. I arrived where the horse had been unsaddled after the race to hear Nicholls really laying into the unfortunate Bromley & I quote, "Another f!$%ing flat horse that can't breathe" I actually found it quite amusing as Nicholls was bulling him up on his blog only the other week as been the man who buys all the good horses for the yard. Anyway the story is that he jumped ok & despite pulling quite hard but when young Popham asked him go after the leaders he started to choke & was gurgling so he just nursed him home. Apparently he was still making noises when the saddle was being taken of but by the time I got there he seemed to have settled down & at least he didn't seem in distress. Having calmed down a bit the trainer explained that it could be sorted with a breathing op but that even if it was done early next week that by the time he had recovered that the season as such would be over. The alternative would be to run him again in a tongue tie, on better ground & see what happens, even if he doesn't improve try to get a soft handicap mark & do the op in the Summer. So we'll have to see which way they go. As for the rest of the card. Osric ran ok & looked like he was going to take it up between the last two but the front running Rougham would not be passed. After Plenty Pocket things went downhill fast. L'accordioniste drifted & ran a stinker. Master Minded won but nearly got done on the line Soldatino nearly pulled the jockeys arms out going down & again drifted & faded two out. Breedsbreeze also drifted, clouted a couple early & never got in a position to challenge. At this point being a bit brassed of & frozen bloody stiff by the raw wind blowing down the track I decided to bale out & get out of the car park before the rush. Therefore I didn't see Poungach win the last & make it not a total loss on the day. Still a return of 110pts from 220pts staked is not good. Nicholls didn't seem totally committed to Indian Daudie running at Cheltenham next Saturday, he has been entered at Leopardstown on Feb 6th, I'd like a bit of that, we'll see. Red Merlin is in at Musselbugh Weds, ffos Las Thurs & Donny on Friday, again we'll see. Racing Club bets W/R 23/95 Stakes 2654pts Returns 2622.08pts P/L -31.92pts Pictures are Plenty Pocket & Master Minded.

post-484-14429283543494_thumb.jpg

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Red Merlin runs at Musselburgh tomorrow. The race has divided & he is in what looks slightly the harder of the two races. Aikman has some useful bumper form & was still in the race when tipping up here two out in a maiden hurdle. The other one with decent form is Eltheeb but not quite up to the level of Aikman or Red Merlin on his Newbury run. The ground is good/good to firm in places although the going stick is supposed to say 6.1 which has me scratching my head a bit but it can't be as bad as it was at Sandown. If he runs to the Newbury form he must go close although there could be something in those making there debut or are lightly raced. Indeed I note that Dica runs here which is the one that popped up at 100/1 in the race that Arabian Spirit ran in here in November. He has a pen for that & needs to step up quite a bit to score again. I had a good think & decided to apply for a badge which I have got so I'm on the road again early in the morning. No odds as yet other than the exchanges & Betfair have him at around 6/4 to only a few quid. The over round is still a bit big at 125% so he may be a touch longer but the McCain yard have had winners today so we'll see. I've had a quick look at the rest of the card. Copper Gold won the 2.05 last season & can do so again. Ballymacduff should go well in the 3m handicap hurdle. That would probably be it unless I see owt after another look tomorrow when I get there, I'll probably have 25/30pts on those two & 40/50pts Red Merlin depending on the odds. Indian Daudie is in the first at Cheltenham on Saturday, Nicholls wants to see him work Thursday before commiting but I have asked for a badge. He's also put Plenty Pocket in at Ludlow on Monday but I'm back at work then. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Got back from Scotland yesterday afternoon but I've waited till now to post my thoughts as I'm more than a little brassed off at the moment. In the past week I've clocked up about 1000 miles to watch both horses run shockers. It's the game I know but the same happened last Winter & after a while it gets to you so I need to take a deep breath. More news on Plenty Pocket. Having had a blood test it seems he has the same bug as Kauto Star & it makes me wonder how many more in the yard are not right? What to make of Red Merlin? The trainer wasn't there & before the race Jason Maguire said the ground would suit him better than Sandown, that he hoped they'd go a nice pace & he was going to sit handy behind the lead & use his flat speed in the straight. The start is at the bottom of the straight & as they passed the winning post first time he was disputing third and looked to be going well enough. He was in a similar position down the back straight but made a hash of four out, totally lost his place on the bottom bend & then had a coming together before two out at which point he'd no chance. After Jason said he'd lost all chance with the mistake & got done for speed round the bottom bend on a track thats probably too sharp for him!!! He also said we'd have to see what sort of mark the handicapper gives him now he's had three runs & he might need a step up to two and a half miles. On the club site they're saying much the same & theres certainly no talk of Totesport Trophy or Supreme novices anymore. I've watched it again & it's a bad mistake but he doesn't lose much ground to me & it just seems he gets left behind on the bottom bend. I don't know, I get the feeling that he might not be up to it & the race at Sandown has left its mark as well. Obviously I'm no trainer or jockey & you'd think the Timeform boys would know what they're doing but I have been around the block a few times & I don't think things ring true to me & thats as much as I'll say. On the punting front I actually backed the first winner. Copper Gold ran a good race but got caught close home. Ballymacduff was up there in the three miler but was pulled up with over a circuit to go when the saddle slipped, cue my best Victor Meldrew impression. At this point I was ready to chuck the towel in but in conversation with one of the club members earlier in the day he had said he was keen on the chance of Tyrone House. I decided to back that & then scram & was pleasantly suprised when it won quite nicely. In the end I actually finished ahead on the day, although it didn't feel like it. Total staked was 170pts with 250pts returned. My mood was not improved when I went to get a taxi afterwards. I'd arrived in plenty of time so I drove pass the track & parked at the hotel I'd booked for the night which was two and a half miles up the road & I had a steady walk back which meant I could have a drink or two. However I thought I'd get a taxi back. I was the only one at the rank & waited 10 minutes before one turned up. When I asked for the hotel he gave me a funny look, thought about it & then said £25. I said its only just up the road & he replied its raceday. I said so that gives you licence to rip people off does it? I walked. Racing Club bets W/R 25/100 Stakes 2824pts Returns 2872.08pts P/L +48.08pts The pics attached are, Attractive bookie, less attractive prices. Red Merlin & Maguire. A view I took looking east down the Firth of Forth as I walked down from the hotel, what a place to stick a power station. I didn't know the Egyptians had been over & stuck up a Pyramid either :tongue2 Indian Daudaie is declared tomorrow in the first at Cheltenham. I had asked for a badge but something has come up & I can't go which may be no bad thing the way it's going, although the bloody thing will probably win by half the track cos I'm not there. I'll see if I can post some thoughts tomorrow. Rio.

post-484-14429283544283_thumb.jpg

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 Meeting goes ahead after two looks. Indian Daudaie is reported to be a galloping type rather than a speed horse of the flat type. It's a bit of a fact finding mission this first run & if it was a case of me just looking at the race I'd pass him over & indeed I have. The damn thing will probably bolt up as I've gone with Local Hero who already has some smart form. I can't see this been run at a furious pace & think we might get outsprinted we'll see. I've had a couple more bets. Shakalakaboomboom looks progressive & the stables flying, got 4's but Ikorodu Road looks like a n/r. Of the telly races the only one I fancy is Backspin in the 3.05. A few progressive ones in here but Backspin has some nice form, the Newbury run LTO looks very good & the second & third have both won since. Bets. Local Hero 40pts @ 9/4 Stan James. Shakalakaboomboom 20pts @4/1 Betfred BOG. Backspin 40pts @ 7/4 Betfred BOG. 5pt trixe with Betfred, prices as above, Local Hero 15/8. Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 An update from the trainer no less on the site. He feels we got outpaced a little at the business end of the race but was pleased that he battled on up the hill. He will come on for the race & for a bit further & softer ground. He wouldn't be worried by taking on the front two again as we were giving them weight from his pen for winning in France. He thinks he's up there with his better novice hurdlers & will be put in the Supreme, Neptune, Triumph & Fred Winter at the festival. He will have another run before, he's in at Leopardstown next Sunday but is more likely to go somewhere else. Red Merlin has a sore back & they're not sure if he did it when he fluffed four out at Musselburgh or before. Any way he has had it looked at and is already moving better. He's been put in a novice at Bangor on Friday but I'm not sure thats the track (galloping) that he's now supposed to need or if the ground would be too soft, we'll see. On the punting front. Local Hero battled well to land one bet. Shakalakaboomboom was a let down, I'm thinking of ringing Henderson up & offering to stop backing his horses for a small fee. He's getting plenty of winners but not when I back them. Backspin ran alright, jumped really well but faded a bit tamely. The 120pt stake returned 130pts. Racing Club bets W/R 26/103 Stakes 2944pts Returns 3002.08pts P/L +58.08pts Rio.

Re: Rio's Racing diary 2010 I've been working nights this week so as usual pretty much all else gets shoved on the back burner. However I've kept an eye on Indian Daudaie & the possibilty that he might go to Ireland on Sunday. Having looked to have taken the race in his stride at Cheltenham he has been given the green light to go to Leopardstown which led to a somewhat frantic scramble to find flights that suit & a hotel etc. All has fallen into place & I am preparing to make my first trip to Ireland. I'm hoping to get on line over there but the vibes are quite strong for a good run, someone called A P McCoy? is booked & it's a cracking card :hope As mentioned Indian Daudaie has been entered for the Supreme, Neptune & Triumph. Plenty Pocket Has also been put in the Triumph & Red Merlin is entered for the Supreme. Right things to do, Rio.