Remember When.....

Silks were not printed in the Sporting Life or Racing Post - perhaps one meeting was but never all. Under each horse there would give a decription of the silks. If you didn't know the jargon I imagine it could've been a nightmare. Drab (the colour) Frogging Cross of Lorraine Maltese Cross George Cross Crazy Quilt Yoke Seams Braces Diablos Harder than reading the form at times. Today's whippersnappers don't know how lucky they are.

Re: Remember When..... I can remember the Sporting Chronicle, that was in the days before the Racing Post and we had two daily racing papers, the Life was the other of course. I remember very well the old extel commentaries and the boardmarkers in the shops too!:lol

Re: Remember When..... race sheets went up at 11am (opening time) prices came through race by race with possibly only 3 or 4 races with early prices and this was the 80's open counters in some shops No roulette machines! 1 TV if you were lucky in the corner 10% tax on bet or winnings !! frosted glass so no-one could see in :rollin 2 page bet slip, you kept the back slip

Re: Remember When.....

I remember having to decide if to pay tax on your bet or risk paying it on your winnings' date=' always paid my 9p in the £1 or whatever it was. :ok[/quote'] sods law it worked the other way, tax was changed from 10% to 9% and lower i think I used to actually have a 90p bet sometimes so i could keep my bets to a £1 stake if you know what i mean ! imagine now winning a grand and having to give back 100 - criminal !

I remember when every bookies shop you went into allways had a mad bastard shouting at the screens ' date='kind of miss that stuff now i bet on line:)[/quote'] You should have seen them shouting at the Extel speakers !! , now that was funny ...............................................................oooops........ it was me :$

sods law it worked the other way, tax was changed from 10% to 9% and lower i think I used to actually have a 90p bet sometimes so i could keep my bets to a £1 stake if you know what i mean !
Yeah I used to have all sorts of odd stakes. £2.25 EW's etc. :lol I remember when it changed to 9%, 1995? 96?

Re: Remember When..... I remember when for writing our bets out we had a few pens dotted about the shop attached to (at best chain but usually a bit of string) the boards that held the newspapers or to the top of the betting slip counters. You rush from the pub run in to get your bet on in time grab the piece of string and half the time there would be no fecking pen at the end of it.

Re: Remember When..... This thread takes me back! Remember the board markers that they used to employ to mark up the prices? Red for the fav, blue for the other runners. In our local independent bookies all you had to do was keep the young girl chatting and she'd miss some of the market moves so you could get the higher price. It was a much better atmosphere all round in those days!

Re: Remember When..... I know the staff at my bookies so they used to give me best prices just as they changed, if it went from 10's to 8's I'd put 10's on the slip and it would get accepted. :tongue2 When I was in the police we arrested a bloke that turned out to be the manageress's ex hubby, he got CS gassed and locked up for being a prick, she hates him and said we should have kicked fcuk out of him. :lol I was also given the number of a woman that worked there that wanted to go out "for a drink" with me, I was 25, she was 35 but I'd just started seeing someone so declined. A shame really cos she was well tidy and had a 16 yr old daughter too and that could have worked out well, if you know what I mean. ;)

Re: Remember When..... When betting shops first opened - yes, there once was a time when they didn't exist - the legislation was only forced through on the basis that they must not be too "comfortable" a place for people to remain for long periods. Hence toilets were not allowed. And that remained the case for some years. I remember, as a very little boy, being out with my aunt, who wanted to try a betting shop for the first time when they had only just started (she had previously only bet on course, or my uncle would put it on over the phone). I accompanied her inside, and recall the conversation to this day. She went up to the counter and asked what she had to do. The man gave her a betting slip and said "You write the name here". My aunt took the betting slip away and wrote on it and returned it to the man. "But you've written your own name on it," said the man "I thought that's what you told me to do," replied my aunt.

Re: Remember When..... I remember the days when I used to get home from work and ring up the Racings Results Service on the phone.......... And if you could wait they had a full Racing Round Up at 6.45 on Radio 2 probably at that time Then teletext came in.................:loon

Re: Remember When..... I might be imagining this.......... In the olden days the betting shops used to pin up the papers on the wall, which they still do of course !..........but I seem to remember that one of the papers was the Licensed Victualler's Trade Paper which covered racing in depth !

I remember the days when I used to get home from work and ring up the Racings Results Service on the phone.......... And if you could wait they had a full Racing Round Up at 6.45 on Radio 2 probably at that time Then teletext came in.................:loon
yep Teletext was a godsend, as waiting for that result t come up from the odds page, with the words 1st, 2nd or 3rd. When PHOTO came up it was a nightmare I used to ring the racing lines all the time when they were cheap to listen to commentaries etc and the results round up bloody hell how things have changed

And if you could wait they had a full Racing Round Up at 6.45 on Radio 2 probably at that time
and when the evening meetings were on and the bookies shut they used to have a results service at 10:00 at night just after the news i think . So if you missed that you had to wait until the next day to find out how you'd got on .....:eek These youngsters today don't know the half of it , and probably don't want too either :rollin.

Re: Remember When..... The video recorder was another huge step forward.......... I used to set the video to record the afternoon racing, put my bets on at lunchtime at work, get home and watch the racing 'as live' ! Course.........if you had a Yankee and the first one came up, forget about watching 'as live'...........fast forward button ! :D Another thing that's changed massively is availability of 'form'. In the old days the Life and Post only gave details of a horses last 3 runs. No 'lifetime' form to look at ! And you couldn't study tomorrows races the night before - you had no form until you bought the paper on the day of the race. The old 'Weekender' used to publish some form for the big Saturday races and it was published on a Thursday - that was your only chance to study in advance..............:loon