Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - BMW Championship 8-12 Sep

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Byron Nelson Classic 20 May - 23 May Jimmy Walker Top 10 @ 10 Extrabet Walker is a Texan so like all Texans likes coming back home. He finished 3rd last week which is his best ever finish on the PGA Tour and another big week could pretty much secure his card. He was impressive in contention last week and has finished 35-23 since the renovation on this course including 5 rounds in the 60s in the last two years so can play the course. The price for a Top 10 finish just looks a little too big! GL:hope

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Byron Nelson Classic 20 May - 23 May Looks like the 1st round will not finish today - play due to resume 3.30 pm (8.30 GMT) local time after lightning storms! There is still possibilities of more rain and lightning. Half the field have yet to tee off and nobody has yet finished their round who have been out on the course. James Nitties sits pretty on -4 after 9 holes.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Byron Nelson Classic 20 May - 23 May I just want to point out the young amateur Jordan Spieth. I'll probably jinx him but he's only 16 and a local Texan; he won the US Junior and is the No1 ranked junior in the US at the moment. After 10 holes in his 2nd round he is currently on -3 and lying in 16th. He's also hitting the ball over 300yards on average off the tee and hitting over 70% of greens. Clearly a very special player. Definitely one to keep tabs of in the future...the next big thing much like Ricky Barnes, Ryan Moore, Michael Sim or Rickie Fowler?!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Byron Nelson Classic 20 May - 23 May Outright - 1/4 odds 1,2,3,4 places DA Points EW @41.00 Sportingbet Points is currently standing on -6 after 2 rounds and is on course for another good finish here just like last year when he finished 3rd. He has followed the exact same scoring as last year with a 68 for his 1st round and a 66 for his 2nd round. :ok

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Byron Nelson Classic 20 May - 23 May Hi guys, Few early ones for me : Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial pga-tour.jpg First pick for me, Bo Van Pelt win @ 56.00 (Bet365) Bo Van Pelt E/W win @ 56.00(Bet365) Bo comes into this tournament in Texas off the back of two comfortable qualifying rounds for the Open. He shot 10-under in the qualifying for the Open to tie 2nd place and this is not surprising given the form he has been on this year. It could be argued that he is one of the most form golfers on tour at the moment, with T-3rd at Hilton Head, 5th at Quail Hollow and T-4th at the Players Championship, he has shown form this season that he has never produced on tour before. In this even itself, Van Pelt has some solid form from previous years to take into this years event. He has not missed one of the six cuts, last years he finished with three 69's, in 2006 he finished twelth, he was seventeenth in 2005 and managed to get tied fifth on his debut in 2004, so the course obviously is not a problem for him. One thing that has been a probelm for him in the past was his putting, but that is truely a problem of the past as his putting has improved ten fold this year. By his own admission he has had problems with his putter, trying various new putters out and spending silly amounts of time trying to forve the issue, when in reality all it took was for him to go back to a putter that he had used for four and half years a while back - the phrase dont fix it if it is not broken seem to be appropiate here. However since he has resorted back to his old putter he has putted more solid and has managed to improve that part of his game. With his good form already this year and the high odds on offer, not to mention his solid past form at this course I am happy to take him on the outright line and on the E/W line both @ 56.00 with Bet365 :hope Second pick for me: Ryan Palmer E/W win @ 151.00 (Bet365) Siding with the local here at high odds and by local I mean local. The Colonial Country club is his home course. When he is home he plays this course 3 or 4 times a week not to mention his caddy is also a full member here and actually has won the Club Championship a few times. Palmer is quoted as saying - "When I'm home I play it three or four times a week. My caddy, James, is a member here, and quite a few times club champion, so we know every break and bounce on these greens because we play so much" Now while this does not mean he will definatly be there or thereabouts come Sunday, I feel it gives him a great advantage over most of the feild because he will indeed know the course and the greens like the palm of his hand (No pun intended). Now onto his actually golfing ability, he has already won a par 70 this year at Waialae in the Sony Open so his ability around a par 70 is certainly sufficient. His form has been patchy this season but with one win already in the bag I think he can go close on his home turf and at odds of 151.00 with Bet365 I am happy to take him E/W for a top 5 finish.:hope Might be back with some more but these are my two picks for now :ok:ok Goodluck everyone.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May Going for a couple of First Round Leader bets and a few more outrights... First Round Leader: Jason Day @ 56 ew Bet365 Day obviously won last week and I dont expect him to win this week due to this, however, I expect him to be on a high and having hit 3 rounds of 65 to lead after 3 rounds here last year, he will feel good coming back here straight after his first win. Kevin Na @ 67 ew WillHill (4places) Nas record here is excellent, however, again he isnt much of a finisher having had a number of runner up finishes. Nas first round record here is very impressive at 4-1-34-8. His game fits the course and I feel he's over priced. Outright: Tim Clark @ 22 ew StanJames Now that Clark has won a tournament in America I have a feeling he may add a few more and if he's going to win another tournament soon, it could definitely be this one. He has hit 2 rounds over par in his last 20 here and has finished runner up here the last two years so he clearly likes the course. Hopefully the first win can bring another one this week! Brian Gay @ 41 ew Coral Brian Gay has been a bit off the boil this year, the groove changes seem to have affected him; however, he hit a fantastic round of 63 to end last week to finished 2nd and coming to a course that suits his game it could be the week this multiple winner gets back in the winners circle. He has played at Colonial 10 times with 4 top 14 finishes including a runner up back in 2001. Jeff Overton @ 71 ew Bet365 Jeff Overton is another young guy who hasnt won, however, he may be inspired by the break throughs and performances of McIlroy, Day, Spieth et al in recent weeks. In his last four tournaments, he has 2 runner up finishes and another top 30 finish so is clearly playing well. Last year at this tournament he finished 13th with a 10 under par score, coming off a missed cut a couple of other disappointing finishes so the fact that he is playing so much better this year and played well at the course in worse form is a good sign. Additionally, his GIR figures are so far superior to last year (5% better) which is probably the reason why his form this year is much better than previous years. A fair price but I wouldnt consider much lower than 66s. Jason Bohn @ 101 ew BoyleSports A guy who has won already this year, relatively recently too in New Orleans, with a great game for this course. He hits it straight, hits greens and putts well. He hasnt played since the PLAYERS so should be well rested coming to a course he likes (4 appearances, 4 made cuts, and 2 top 25s) and at 3 figure odds it'd be rude to say no! GL:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May Experience is the key to this week's Crowne Plaza Invitational. In 60 years of this tournament there has only ever been 8 first time winners and since 1996 all the winners have won an average of 10 PGA Tour events. Accuracy in driving is also an important stat along with scrambling - because of the firmness of the greens, balls tend to roll off the back and sides. So scramblers always do well at Colonial.

How the winners have scrambled in past seven years:
Year Player Scrambling stat/rank
2009 Steve Stricker 12 of 16 (75.00%) ranked T14th
2008 Phil Mickelson 14 of 20 (70.00%) ranked T16th
2007 Rory Sabbatini 19 of 24 (79.17%) ranked 3rd
2006 Tim Herron 15 of 22 (68.2%) ranked T26th
2005 Kenny Perry 14 of 16 (87.5%) ranked 1st
2004 Steve Flesch 20 of 26 (76.9%) ranked T2nd
2003 Kenny Perry 7 of 9 (77.8%) ranked 6th
2002 Nick Price 20 of 28 (71.4%) ranked T9th
2001 Sergio Garcia 212 of 17 (70.6%) ranked 10th
Predictions: EW 1/4 odds - 1,2,3,4,5 places Phil Mickelson EW Outright - @9.00 Paddypower EW 1st Round Leader - @15.00 Paddypower It's only a matter of time when Phil Mickleson ovetakes Tiger Woods for the No1 spot in The World Rankings. If he wins here then he becomes No1. Phil has a good record here winning it in 08 & 00, 2nd in 01, 5th in 94, 11th in 99 and 13th in 03. Mickelson also has a very good key stat for here being 13th in scrambling. Jim Furyk EW Outright - @17.00 Paddypower EW 1st Round Leader - 23.00 Paddypower Furyk is on a crest of a wave this season having been in Golfing mediocrity for several years, after winning 2 events already this season. His key stats are very good for the season being 5th in scrambling and 7th in driving accuracy. Furyk has also a decent record here having finished 2nd in 07 & 98, 5th in 03, 8th in 00 & 97 and 9th last year. Sean O'Hair EW Outright - @41.00 Totesport EW 1st Round Leader - 46.00 Skybet O'Hair has only played here twice before - last year when he finished 18th and in 08 when he finished 26th. He also has a good key stat for scrambling being ranked currently at 23rd. O'Hair's season has been steady so far with a 4th at The Mercedes and a 12th at last weekends Byron Nelson. Brian Gay EW Outright - @46.00 William Hill 1st Round Leader - @46.00 William Hill I've picked out Brian Gay here because his key stats are: 2nd in driving accuracy and 8th in scrambling. He's played well here before coming 2nd in 01, 10th in 08, 12th in 06 & 14th in 04. Gay advertised the fact he's coming here in decent form after a 2nd place finish last weekend in The Byron Nelson. Pat Perez EW Outright - @81.00 Totesport 1st Round Leader - @71.00 Skybet Perez has also played well here before although he never competed last year he finished 6th in 08 & 4th in 07. He is another who has a decent key stat for scrambling being ranked at 26th. His form could be better however it is positive he comes here having not missed the cut in his last 2 outings. Charlie Wi EW Outright - @126.00 Totesport 1st Round Leader - 126.00 Skybet Wi is another who has played well here before - in only 2times that has played this tourny he finished 13th last year & 15th in 08. He also has a good key stat for scrambling, being ranked 11th. :hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May Going to add a couple more 1st round leader bets purely because those going off earlier will have an advantage of less heat. In the afternoon here in Fort Worth Texas the temperature will be 90+ and with that sort of temperature comes the added risk of thunder storms so players could get caught up in some gusty winds making shot making more hazardous. The early morning tee times should see the temperature at a more managable 70 + thus giving a greater possibility of lower scoring. Steve Marino EW @51.00 Paddypower (1/4 odds - 1,2,3,4,5 places) I tipped up Marino on here last year for 1st round leader in an event and he obliged at 100/1 odds for me! (although there was a tie split 2 ways). Although I don't fancy him for the outright for this event he was a notoriously fast starter last year, however this year he's not recorded the same sort of 1st round scores. He's played here every year since 07 and has recorded 3 x 1st round scores sub 70 - 09 he hit 66 - 08 he hit 68, 07 he hit 69 for his 1st round scores. Marino also has the benefit of going out on an early tee time 7.41 am which should be much more manageable to achieve a lower score in the less hot and humid conditions that other players will experience in the late morning and afternoon. Kenny Perry EW @46.00 Bet 365 (1/4 odds - 1,2,3,4,5 places) Perry has been slow to get into his rhythm this year, however last weekend in The Byron Nelson he improved significantly enough to finish 16th. Last year here he hit a 64 for his 1st round and he was also a notoriously fast starter last year as proven when he lead from start to finish in The Travelers recording a 61 for his 1st round score there. He importantly also goes off on an early morning tee time at 8.04 am. :hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May

Jeff Overton @ 71 ew Bet365 Jeff Overton is another young guy who hasnt won, however, he may be inspired by the break throughs and performances of McIlroy, Day, Spieth et al in recent weeks. In his last four tournaments, he has 2 runner up finishes and another top 30 finish so is clearly playing well. Last year at this tournament he finished 13th with a 10 under par score, coming off a missed cut a couple of other disappointing finishes so the fact that he is playing so much better this year and played well at the course in worse form is a good sign. Additionally, his GIR figures are so far superior to last year (5% better) which is probably the reason why his form this year is much better than previous years. A fair price but I wouldnt consider much lower than 66s. Jason Bohn @ 101 ew BoyleSports A guy who has won already this year, relatively recently too in New Orleans, with a great game for this course. He hits it straight, hits greens and putts well. He hasnt played since the PLAYERS so should be well rested coming to a course he likes (4 appearances, 4 made cuts, and 2 top 25s) and at 3 figure odds it'd be rude to say no! GL:hope
Hope you did these 1st round leader bets as well!!

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May Last round looks like it's going to be quite exciting here with a congested leaderboard. I'm going to have an outright win on: Brian Davis @5.50 Paddypower **** England's Davis has another chance here to record his 1st win on the PGA Tour and I think he can do it! He was so unlucky against Furyk in The Verizon a few of weeks ago when he called a penalty on himself in the play-off. It shows guts on his behalf to have something like that happen and then become competitive in another event soon afterwards. He has only had one bogey in 3 rounds here so far and that came in the first round. :hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May I realised Tim Clark had been missing putts all over the shop so just checked...in the first 66 holes he has missed 25 putts from 20ft or less - that'll never get you anywhere! Jason Bohn and Jeff Overton still in the running at big odds so :hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May

Last round looks like it's going to be quite exciting here with a congested leaderboard. I'm going to have an outright win on: Brian Davis @5.50 Paddypower **** England's Davis has another chance here to record his 1st win on the PGA Tour and I think he can do it! He was so unlucky against Furyk in The Verizon a few of weeks ago when he called a penalty on himself in the play-off. It shows guts on his behalf to have something like that happen and then become competitive in another event soon afterwards. He has only had one bogey in 3 rounds here so far and that came in the first round. :hope
he is playing ever so well so far, driving and hitting the ball superbly..

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May The Memorial Kenny Perry E/W @ 36 (Bet365 - E/W 1/4, 1-5) Kenny Perry has won this tournament 3 times, with a further 3 top ten finishes. He seems to be coming into a bit of form after shooting a 2nd round 7 under par last week and with the added mental boost of returning to a course that has brought him much success I think he can be a Sunday contender. Tiger Woods @ 9 Stan James (Enhanced Win) Tiger is a four-time winner here and has a further 2 top 3's and a top 4 finish to boot. Whilst there is legitimate worries about a lack of fitness and form after a missed cut and withdrawal due to a neck injury, I simply can't look past Tiger at these odds on a course he clearly excels on.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May First Round Leader Stewart Cink @ 51 ew Bet365 Cink finally started to hit some form last week with a top 25 finish and he is now at one of his favourite courses. His form here is good but I dont think he'll quite get the win this week, however, he does have an early tee time and his first round form here is very good. In his last 9 years he has never hit worse than par in this first round and this includes 40-2-26-11-13-3-17-20-6 over this time period - he pretty much gives the first round a run for its money every year (7 top 20s, 3 top 6s) so at this price, I prefer it to the outright play. Rod Pampling @ 101 ew VCBet Pampling hasnt shown great form this week but last week missed the cut with two rounds of 70 and the week before was in the top 25 after two rounds so his game isnt in as bad shape as it looks at first glance. He plays this course nicely and in the last 3 years has finished 9(2009)-4(2008)-1(2007) after the first round. With a nice early tee time he should hopefully continue this first round trend and give us a good run for our money at a very tasty price. Outright Ernie Els @ 23 ew Bet365 I think Ernie will go great this week. His time at Wentworth wasnt all that fun as he was bombarded with abuse by his fellow pros but returning back to America and dropping in at home for a bit of rest and working on his game should make him feel a bit better. Despite the abuse, and pressure to play the 18th in 2(!), he still played relatively well finishing a respectable 34th. Compare this, however, to his form in the states and it's pretty pants - 8 top 20s in 11 starts including 2 wins, 2 other top 10s which includes a 3rd last time out in the US in Texas. Coming back to one of his favourite courses where his big drive thrives and his excellent bunker play is key, he should do well. His course form is excellent with 16 visits he has 1 win, a runner up, 4 further top 10s, and 4 more top 20s. He finished 8th here last year when his form wasnt as good (no top 10s in a full field stroke play before this tournament - he had finished top 10 in the Mercedes Champs for the previous seasons winners and the Match Play though) so he should feel very confident especially with Tigers unpredictability and Mickelson coming off a missed cut. Bo Van Pelt @ 51 ew Ladbrokes Bo is still in astonishing form, 4 top 10s in 5 starts - with the other finish a top 30! He has also made the qualifying for the open in this time so is clearly playing well. He is the 5th best driver, top ball striker, 10th all around, 5th on the par 4s and top 25 on the par 5s so is clearly playing awesome golf at the moment. I feel this is time to strike with Bo as his odds are slightly inflated due to a blow out first round last year which meant he missed the cut; however, he finished 3rd here in 2005 and has a round of 65 around the course so can clearly find his way around. At 13.5 for a place, it looks decent value. Hunter Mahan @ 46 ew Bet365 Mahan is not a player I usually bet on as I feel he is generally underpriced, however, I feel this could be a great time to get on him. He missed the cut last week, but he actually hit a 67 second round which wasnt bad at all. Before that he had made 4 consecutive cuts which included 3 top 17s (and a top 10 at the Masters so he clearly thrives at top courses in top company). He finished 14th here and played the all in important par 4s in the best score all week - similar profile to Mark Wilson the week before who came back to lead last year after three rounds before finishing 3rd. Hopefully he can go a couple better. Bubba Watson @ 101 ew Bet365 Honestly, I just have a feeling this is Bubbas time. In 3 of the 4 years he has played here he has been sitting pretty after two rounds only to have a dodgy weekend. Last year he was actually only one shot behind Tiger going in to the final round so he can clearly play the course. Already has two top 3s this season and coming off a few weeks break on to a course that should forgive his errant driving, it seems that 3 figures is a bit too generous IMO. GL:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May 1st Round Leader Matthew Goggin @ 151 (Stan James E/W 1/4 1-5) Goggin shot a first round 65 here 2 years ago on his way to a second placed finish. After a string of missed cuts he made the weekend last tournament out after a 2nd round 66 and I am hoping that this is a sign he is returning to form. Coming back to a course where he has positive experiences can only be an added benefit and at these odds he is worth a go.

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May Ricky Barnes propels himself to 2nd with a -10 round! 8 birdies and an eagle!! Reminds me of my round this morning!! :rollin Bo Van Pelt has moved to tied 8th with 2 holes to play in his 3rd round.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May It's been a layer's dream after three rounds these past four weeks. Ben Curtis falls but Corey Pavin and Scott Verplank are challenging as Justin Rose and Bubba Watson hit shots into the water. :eyes

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Crowne Plaza Invitational 27 May - 30 May AT&T National - Brandon De Jonge - Winner @ 90 (Betfair) & 1st Rnd Leader @ 81 (Sportingbet AU/Will Hill) De Jonge has hit form of late with two top tens and top 25's. He has hit a 66 or lower in at least one round of his last four PGA tournaments (excluding the Open, where he was up with the leaders for a period anyway). In a field with only a few of the big names I wouldn't be surprised to see De Jonge put four rounds together and add his name to a list of new winners this year. Certainly his form warrants a 1st Round leader bet at these odds.

• 4 weeks later...

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Greenbrier Classic 29th July-1st Aug Just as with the E-Tour, a new course which is frustrating! Apparently we're looking for similar aspects as last week i.e. decent birdie makers on par 70s. Nick Watney @ 26 ew Ladbrokes A top top player who has finished T7 in high quality events twice in a row. Also finished top 10 in the Masters earlier this year. Top 10 GIR and when he gets hot he can hole birdies for fun. Due a win. Brendon de Jonge @ 51 ew Ladbrokes A hot property at the moment despite his last 4 hole implosion last week to push out of the place positions. 4 top 13s in his last 6 starts says a lot about his form and the fact he is top 30 for both GIR and putting, and 12th for All Around Ranking shows that this is no fluke. Studied in Virginia so will be happy to be back here and may be able to finally break his duck. Charley Hoffman @ 51 ew Bet365 A quality player who finally admits he is fit again. Has won in birdie fests and is clearly playing well. 7th and 4th in his last two tournaments and when this guy gets hot, he hole a lot of putts as shown by his one and only win coming at the Bob Hope (-17). Brian Gay @ 71 ew ToteSport Three wins (all by massive margins) show he can finish the job and he does have a 2nd place finish as recent as May. Finished 16th a couple of weeks ago before a torrid time at St Andrews. Consistently one of the best putters on tour as well as one of the most accurate (if not the most consistent) iron players. All of his wins have come on courses with less than a par 72. GL:hope

Re: Golf: PGA Tour 2010 - Greenbrier Classic 29th July-1st Aug

Just as with the E-Tour, a new course which is frustrating! Apparently we're looking for similar aspects as last week i.e. decent birdie makers on par 70s. Nick Watney @ 26 ew Ladbrokes A top top player who has finished T7 in high quality events twice in a row. Also finished top 10 in the Masters earlier this year. Top 10 GIR and when he gets hot he can hole birdies for fun. Due a win. Brendon de Jonge @ 51 ew Ladbrokes A hot property at the moment despite his last 4 hole implosion last week to push out of the place positions. 4 top 13s in his last 6 starts says a lot about his form and the fact he is top 30 for both GIR and putting, and 12th for All Around Ranking shows that this is no fluke. Studied in Virginia so will be happy to be back here and may be able to finally break his duck. Charley Hoffman @ 51 ew Bet365 A quality player who finally admits he is fit again. Has won in birdie fests and is clearly playing well. 7th and 4th in his last two tournaments and when this guy gets hot, he hole a lot of putts as shown by his one and only win coming at the Bob Hope (-17). Brian Gay @ 71 ew ToteSport Three wins (all by massive margins) show he can finish the job and he does have a 2nd place finish as recent as May. Finished 16th a couple of weeks ago before a torrid time at St Andrews. Consistently one of the best putters on tour as well as one of the most accurate (if not the most consistent) iron players. All of his wins have come on courses with less than a par 72. GL:hope
Well another 59 is shot and Stuart Appleby wins...who coulda predicted it?! Got a good ew payout from Brendon deJonge finishing 3rd so on to bigger and better things next week! :ok