** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

its enough to drive you to drink

Haichan

I have started this thread because I would welcome other players views about how you handle bad beats. I know its part of poker variance, but in the last 2 weeks, I have been deep on 24 occasions in tournaments,where I have been either all-in or pot commited. In every case i have had the best hand on the flop. In 4 cases Kings and every time have lost to runner, runner cards on the turn and river. Typical example is Kings beaten by A/3 with runner, runner 3's Last night it happened twice first on the inside poker re-run freeroll where I had A/9 against KJ on a 3/9/10 rainbow flop and he got 8/ queen to hit straight on river. Then in betfair final table of 1000, I had pair of 9's against 6's and he hit one of the 2 outs on the river. Very frustrating, how do you all deal with it.

Re: its enough to drive you to drink I just swear at my screen, generally just a ''fckoff'' is enough, few seconds of incredulity then I move on. Don't stew over it...beats of any kind can do bad things to your head if you can't let them go.

Re: its enough to drive you to drink Remind yourself that you tend to remember the hands that knock you out of tournaments, and these will generally be hands where you were unlucky. I used to play dice-rolling tournaments. Six players each put £5 in the pot, and drew a number from 1 to 6. You took turns at rolling a die, and whatever number came up, if the player with that number was still in then he got eliminated from the tournament. Last player standing won the £30 pot. I only won these tournaments about one time in six, and the other five times out of six I always went out to a horrible bad beat: a dice roll where I was a 5-to-1 on favourite to survive! That's worse than 9s losing to 6s. (Actually, I'm lying. I didn't used to play these tournaments.)

Re: its enough to drive you to drink I think Glceuds advice is probably best:ok once you've played a ton of hands you either go mental :loonor come to the sudden realisation that shit happens and it's always gonna happen ,so live with it:) getting angry doesnt help,in fact going on tilt is only gonna lead you to a bad place:sad. i would actually be fairly happy that i was going deep regularly,it means you cant be going that far wrong:ok another thing to note is it looks like your playing mainly freerolls:unsure big fields with usually a smallish % of payouts are always gonna be tricky,also your more likely to get bad beat vs players that will push with any 2:tongue2 TQM is spot on as well,checking hand historys/trying to plug any leaks from that is a major part of becoming a better player. just because your hole cards are better pre flop doesn't mean to say you played them well and got unlucky, if the money goes in on the river;)

Re: its enough to drive you to drink It's very easy to get over bad beats when you realise it isn't the MASSIVE game of skill the TV pros like to make out. It's a game of skill, just, with 52 random cards play your cards and hope for the best.

Re: its enough to drive you to drink I just have to laugh it off and be happy I got the money in when ahead, you can't do much more than that. :ok No doubt there have been occasions where the situation is reversed and you hit runner/runner or similar, they just don't stick in the mind as much because its in your favour and you crack on with the game after it happens. When it's against you and it knocks you out it obviously hurts more and sticks in the mind, in any tournement I think you always at some stage find yourself in a race and its swings and roundabouts when it happens. If you let it have a negative affect on your mind it will only produce a negative affect on your game and you probably won't even realise it because you're still thinking about THAT hand from the previous game as opposed to whats happening around you in the game you're currently in. Hope that makes sense. :lol :ok

Re: its enough to drive you to drink I had my longest, running bad streak for 9 months this year. Been on the top of my game all the way. Bad beats were eating my away all the time. I learned to cope with it. I never have a doubt in my mind, it will come good. Some say take a break, change stakes, try different kind of poker. Sorry, thats not for me. Im a grinder. I would probably only stop, if I didnt have any money. When I have day by day my ass kicked from 5-6 MTTs, I play all the time, there's one well said thing, keeps me remainding why I'm doing it. By mindset training guru Sam Chauhan. " If you are in situation in poker where somebody gives you a bad beat, you have to be able to cope with it. In poker they always call it 'bad beat', but I don't believe there is such a thing as a bad beat. Bad beat is perception. A real bad beat is when you are born without legs or when you are born with a terminal disease. That's bad beat.. You lost a match. You can get back up and try again tomorrow. A lot of times our mind perceives things to be worse than what they are. When taken in context, you realize it isn't big deal. You learn to tell yourself it is ok and then you move on to the next hand. Ther is nothing you can do"