** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Only 1 for me tomorrow (I think). Not many prices around, but think this will settle lower. GABASHVILI @ 2.50 bet365. I backed Gabashvili @ 3.50 when these two met last October indoors in Russia and he came through a final set tiebreak. Youzhny just seems like a complete mess at the moment, with a very poor display against Koubek at the Aussie. Gabashvili hasn't started the season too well either, but he struggled early last year before playing well in this part of the season.

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Good evening guys after the drama of the Aussie open it is back to the usual less glamarous but profitable (hopefully!) atp tour. I used to back tennis alot a few years ago but lost interest in it because stopped watching it due to lack of sky and getting a job instead of lazing about watching it all day haha! But got back into during Aussie open watching on Eurosport and had a very profitable tourney so gonna try and get back into it! Anyway on to the tennis, my pic for Zagreb 1st round is: Ljubicic v Rochus --- 2-0 Ljubicic @ 8/11 Boylesports Many may agree or disagree as i said im basically going on aussie open performances iv seen and Head to Heads etc. So Ljubicic ranked 55 beat 43 ranked Kunitsyn in 1st round of aussie open, I watched Rochus against Nadal, yes its Nadal so hard to compare but Rochus basically offered nothing Ive never rated him ever always found him to be a player who could never win anything, bin a pro since 96 and never won a title. Ljubicic was runner up here last year and winner back in 2006 not a player iv really liked before as saw him play at wimbledon few years back and his body language was terrible but think he will have more then enough to easily knock rochus out here, Ljbucic used to be a consistent top 10 player but not anymore but still think he can bring out the goods when needed. Also the 2 have met on hard court once before 2 years ago with Ljbucic winning 6-1 6-3. Big + point is also this is his home tournament with him being from Croatia so he will be eager to impress and give the fans something big to cheer about! Good Luck All :ok

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Slightly off topic, but what does everyone recommend for tennis stat sites? I've been using Wettpoint, Matchstat and the ATP site, but would really like something that would allow you to filter based on surface and whether it was a best of 3 or 5 set match. For tonight I've taken Cilic 2-1 @ 4.80 - Betchoice. Clement leads the H2H 2-0 so should challenge Cilic and perhaps bring a mental edge over the Croat. However Cilic has improved a lot over recent months and I think the improved Cilic will take it out in a decider.

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Two more pics for me today gonna put them in a double Anderson v Baghdatis - 2-0 Bahgdatis Cilic v Clement - 2-0 Cilic Double 1.83 @ Blue Square Basically goin on the ranking of Anderson here which is currently 1564, you would have to think that Baghdatis with his form in the Aussie will despose of Anderson fairly comfortably. Cilic is starting to hit form with an impressive 8-1 record so far this year and already one title in the bag (Chennai), currently ranked 22 in the world and got to the last 16 in the aussie open which included an impressive straight sets victory over Ferrer (11th seed) also playing in his hometown of Zagreb so will be eager to impress. Clement was once a very handy player but now has dropped down the rankings currently lying 80th not in great form has beaten only 83rd and 77th ranked players so far this year while losing convincingly to Roddick(8) and Verdasco(15) also lost easily at sydney to 157th ranked Luczak.

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Oscar Hernandez - Martin Vassallo-Arguello To lose the first set and win the game: Hernandez @ 6.00; Vassallo @ 7.00 both William Hill Too close to call for me this one. Hernandez leads the H2H 2-1 but both his victories came in Challenger tourneys whilst Vassallo triumphed the only time they've met in an ATP tourney. In 2 of the 3 previous meetings however the person to win the first set has gone on to lose the match 1-2, so I am going to have a little split stakes on that happening once again. Paul Capdeville - Eduardo Schwank Eduardo Schwank @ 1.40 Bet365 Surprised at the odds on this one. Schwank is improving, having just really arrived on the ATP scene last year, he has a 7-5 record on clay. Meanwhile Capdeville is 9-12 lifetime on clay in ATP tourneys, and over the last 2 years has 4 wins on the surface agianst such notables as Fraile, Armando, Hartfield and Zverev. I'd be surprised if Capdeville takes a set here. Agustin Calleri - Nicolas Massu Agustin Calleri @ 1.83 William Hill William Hill are going 5/6 each of two in this match, and I find that some way out of line with my own views. Calleri holds a 6-2 lifetime H2H verdict over Massu, 2-1 on clay. The one on clay that Massu won was back in 2002, and Calleri has subsequently won 2/2 on clay and 6/7 overall. Simone Bolelli - Viktor Troicki Simone Bolelli @ 1.80 var Both these guys lost to the eventual winner, Stakhovsky, in last year's event - Troicki in the first round, Bolelli in the semi final. Bolelli holds a 2-0 H2H record over Troicki, and whilst I can certainly see Troicki providing the Italian with problems (indeed both those H2H victories have needed a deciding set), I see Bolelli extending the record to 3-0 if his serve is on song. Marc Gicquel - Florent Serra Marc Gicquel @ 1.73 William Hill This surface suits Gicquel much more than it does Serra, whose defensive game is more at home on the slower surfaces. Gicquel holds a 2-1 H2H record, but noticably the 2 Gicquel wins have come on hard surfaces whilst Serra's came on clay.

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb With all the past controversy other match fixing this could well be investigated with such a huge drop in odds. Anyway iv managed to get him on now in a double Gicquel to beat Serra Vliegen to beat Hutchins 2-0 double is: 1.96 @ Bet365 Hutchins has been playing doubles over last few years and not singles and never fancy any low ranked british player espcially against a capable player like vliegen who sits around the top 100 most of the time and beaten plenty of top 100 players over the past year. Good Luck all!

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb

Slightly off topic' date=' but what does everyone recommend for tennis stat sites? I've been using Wettpoint, Matchstat and the ATP site, but would really like something that would allow you to filter based on surface and whether it was a best of 3 or 5 set match.[/quote'] http://tennis.matchstat.com/

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Easy winner to start the week. BOLELLI @ 1.84 Pinnacle. Everyone knows Bolelli is one of my boys and this looks like a reasonable price on him. He reached the semis here last year, played well late last year indoors, and has played OK so far this year. He's also the higher ranked and has a 2-0 H2H both indoors (quite meaningless as Troicki was much lower in the rankings) and it's add up to him being a decent fav for me. I'm not sure about Troicki at the moment, he's won some matches this year but had some pretty poor loses and some markets really move against him amidst shoulder injury rumours so he's not to be trusted at the moment. GIL @ 1.68 Pinnacle. I quite like Gil, and I see him as a solid fav here. He played a bit on hard courts last year, with some reasonable success (won a challenger) and I think importantly he came down for the East London tournament and did retty well making the semis. Koellerer has less success on hard courts, and doesn't show up often apart from trying (and failing) to qualify for slams. He did play Chennai this year but lost to an injured Davydenko in the first round. I think Gil's a better player anyway, and I'd have him around 1.50. Will look into Vina del Mar sometime tomorrow when more prices available.

:clap :clap Looking good :ok
Thanks man 2 out of 3 for today bit gutted about Gicquel thought with the odds being reduesed so drematically that he was a guarenteed win! Only really went on him because of everyone sayin his odds had been cut gonna just go on my own pics from now on as been 100% with them since aussie open and todays other games.

Only 1 for me tomorrow (I think). Not many prices around, but think this will settle lower. GABASHVILI @ 2.50 bet365. I backed Gabashvili @ 3.50 when these two met last October indoors in Russia and he came through a final set tiebreak. Youzhny just seems like a complete mess at the moment, with a very poor display against Koubek at the Aussie. Gabashvili hasn't started the season too well either, but he struggled early last year before playing well in this part of the season.
Great pick there mate :nana

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb My pics for 2moro: Vliegen v Hutchins - Vliegen to win 2-0 Tsonga v Alves - T'songa to win 2-0 J Melzer v Korolev - Melzer to win Treble = 2.23 @ PaddyPower & Skybet As said before when i put this with the Gicquel bet Hutchins has been playing doubles over last few years and not singles and never fancy any low ranked british player espcially against a capable player like vliegen who sits around the top 100 most of the time and beaten plenty of top 100 players over the past year, T'songa is tsonga 5th seed in aussie open and 14th in world rankings against 124th ranked Alves who has only ever beaten 1 player in the top 100 and only played 18 atp tour matches in his career with a 5-13 record. Melzer the austrian got to the last 32 at the aussie open and lost to murray but only lost 1 set in the previous 2 rounds also lost to murray at US open in same round so doesnt regulary go out in 1st round. Korolev ranked 115 in the world, did beat Moya at aussie open 1st round but taking that as a fluke as didnt even get through qualifying for Sydney or Brisbane. Also gone out in 1st round in 7 of last 11 tourneys in 2008.

Oscar Hernandez - Martin Vassallo-Arguello To lose the first set and win the game: Hernandez @ 6.00; Vassallo @ 7.00 both William Hill Paul Capdeville - Eduardo Schwank Eduardo Schwank @ 1.40 Bet365 Marc Gicquel - Florent Serra Marc Gicquel @ 1.73 William Hill
I genuinely think I have hit upon a bombproof system :nana Look at the match, the H2Hs, the form, the surface stats, all that jazz. Consider it carefully, come to a logical reasoned decision for who I think will WIN. Then LAY the arse off that person!! :sad :puke Capdeville :eek wtf

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Melzer v. Korolev @ 1.5 Melzer has shown great play at the start of this season,getting some very unexpected victories this year,beatin Fish in Brisbane,on AO beat in 7 sets both Nishikori and A.Beck,so i must back him this time! Korolev failed to qual. in Sydney and Brisbane this year,loosing in straight sets from Dancevic and Anderson as fav.Looked good against out of form Moya in Melbourne,before he faced Federer. H2H is 1-0 in favour of lefty Austrian and Korolev is 3-7 in his last ten matches vs. 'left' opponents! Gil v. Koellerer @ 1.6 Gil loves playing on hard courts,he even won a challenger in August last year,dropping only one set on his way to the title. Koellerer had ankle injury by the end of the last season,has only one match on hard in 2008 and lost it in straight sets.H2H is 1-0 for Koellerer,three years ago on clay,what don't cuts down my confidence of Gil's win today. Istomin v. Ventura @ 1.4 Ventura has lifetime record of 12 wins and 33 losses on hard courts and lost 8 of his ten matches on this surface. Won some qual. matches in Melbourne over much lower ranked opponents,but failed to make the main draw. Istomin is much better player on hard,i think.He won over Spadea in straight sets in the first round of AO,before faced Gasquet in the 2nd. He also rached second round in Chennai earlier this year. Istomin is in good form and he shouldn't have problems to won over 'hard court' Spaniard ! :hope

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb Damn it got a crap one from Bolelli. PASHANSKI @ 2.58 Betfair. Don't think I'd have Max Gonzalez as this much of a fav. Both are ranked down in the 100's but to be hoenst I think both are better than that. Gonzalez has started the season well, winning a challenger and qualifying here, but he did have a tough 3 setter in his last qualifying match. Pashanski reached the quarters of the challenger Gonzalez won, and come through qualifying here including a comfortable win over Decoud who is decent. Overall I'd say Pashanksi is a slightly better player, he's got more experience at ATP level, but Gonzalez is in better form so I'd have Pash at around 2.20. CUEVAS @ 2.10 Skybet. Clear market move for Cuevas who opened at around 2.50. I hope everyone remembers the fun we had with him in this part of the season last year, in this tournament backing him in wins over Coria, Verdasco and Acasuso, and nearly getting a hit at a big price over Fernando Gonzalez in the semi. He struggled late on in the season but I'm hoping he can find the form again. He did OK coming through qualifying and I'm willing to have a go while I can still get odds against. Not much to say about Lapentti, he can still put in some decent performances but lacks consistancy. FOGNINI @ 1.50 Skybet. Stand out from Skybet so let's hit it! Fognini is another player I like, and he's by far the superior player here. H2H is 2-0 with a couple of easy victories on clay, and Fognini reached the quarters here last year. Only concern is that Decoud is a lucky loser, so has had a couple of matches in qualifying.

Oscar Hernandez - Martin Vassallo-Arguello To lose the first set and win the game: Hernandez @ 6.00; Vassallo @ 7.00 both William Hill Too close to call for me this one. Hernandez leads the H2H 2-1 but both his victories came in Challenger tourneys whilst Vassallo triumphed the only time they've met in an ATP tourney. In 2 of the 3 previous meetings however the person to win the first set has gone on to lose the match 1-2, so I am going to have a little split stakes on that happening once again. Paul Capdeville - Eduardo Schwank Eduardo Schwank @ 1.40 Bet365 Surprised at the odds on this one. Schwank is improving, having just really arrived on the ATP scene last year, he has a 7-5 record on clay. Meanwhile Capdeville is 9-12 lifetime on clay in ATP tourneys, and over the last 2 years has 4 wins on the surface agianst such notables as Fraile, Armando, Hartfield and Zverev. I'd be surprised if Capdeville takes a set here. Agustin Calleri - Nicolas Massu Agustin Calleri @ 1.83 William Hill William Hill are going 5/6 each of two in this match, and I find that some way out of line with my own views. Calleri holds a 6-2 lifetime H2H verdict over Massu, 2-1 on clay. The one on clay that Massu won was back in 2002, and Calleri has subsequently won 2/2 on clay and 6/7 overall. Simone Bolelli - Viktor Troicki Simone Bolelli @ 1.80 var Both these guys lost to the eventual winner, Stakhovsky, in last year's event - Troicki in the first round, Bolelli in the semi final. Bolelli holds a 2-0 H2H record over Troicki, and whilst I can certainly see Troicki providing the Italian with problems (indeed both those H2H victories have needed a deciding set), I see Bolelli extending the record to 3-0 if his serve is on song. Marc Gicquel - Florent Serra Marc Gicquel @ 1.73 William Hill This surface suits Gicquel much more than it does Serra, whose defensive game is more at home on the slower surfaces. Gicquel holds a 2-1 H2H record, but noticably the 2 Gicquel wins have come on hard surfaces whilst Serra's came on clay.
had each 1 in 100$ multis... and both lost... :drums

GIL @ 1.68 Pinnacle. I quite like Gil, and I see him as a solid fav here. He played a bit on hard courts last year, with some reasonable success (won a challenger) and I think importantly he came down for the East London tournament and did retty well making the semis. Koellerer has less success on hard courts, and doesn't show up often apart from trying (and failing) to qualify for slams. He did play Chennai this year but lost to an injured Davydenko in the first round. I think Gil's a better player anyway, and I'd have him around 1.50.
Not sure what's going on with this one, market is dodgy as hell, Gil 1.20 when a break down:unsure

Re: ATP Johannesburg/Vina del Mar/Zagreb 2nd-8th Feb In all seriousness nothing to do with Sambas selection. MASSU @ 1.79 Betfair. Market has moved a bit in Massus favour and it's no surprise. As I mentioned at the Aussie Open Calleri is on a shocking run, and he hasn't actually beat a top 100 player since the start of July! I think he's really going to struggle to get it back at 32 years old and he could be close to finished. Massu too has fallen down the rankings but ranked 84 is a bit higher than I thought he was. He did fairly well in some challengers in the last 2 months of last year to get himself back in the top 100 and he took Almagro to 5 in the Aussie which isn't too bad. He has a good 13-7 record in his home event, and should be looking for a better performance than last year when he lost a tight 3 setter against Roitman. H2H is 6-2 to Calleri but all were a long time ago and quite a few on quicker surfaces where Calleri is better (2-1 on clay).