ARGGHHH... what would you do?

GeordieGaz

This is the situation... £15 freezeout, 8k starting stack which I have manage to get up to around 9k! 91 Players, blinds 50/100(level 2)... Earlyish position raises to 325 which is called by a player in Mid postion (stack size 16/17k) and I look down at AJo/s in the cut off and elect to call... Flop: 8d 2h Jd... Early position bets out 750 which is called by mid position and I raise to 2750 to try and take it down there and then... Early position folds and mid position pushes all in which covers me... What would you do? :unsure

Re: ARGGHHH... what would you do? Seems like a play with a drawing hand is my first thought. Think we can discount JJ, 8,2 and J,2. Leaving the hands you're behind to 22, 88 and J8. I think these 3 hands are definitely in his range. Seems like a straight/ flush draw as he might be seeing your raise as a squeeze play so feels it's a good opportunity to semi-bluff to put you all in. So really you're either crushed or in a race vs his range. Without more info. on the player i'd fold.

Re: ARGGHHH... what would you do? I would fold... I think it has 22 written all over it. Saying that, if he was a loose player he could just have limped pre flop with KJ or QJ.... I would still fold 9 times out of 10, however as I said above, if the player was pretty loose I maybe would think about calling.

Re: ARGGHHH... what would you do? I'm not very keen on gambling at this stage of a tourney... save that for much later on. Unlike a few others, I don't mind the preflop call with AJo from late position. You're so deepstacked that you can easily make a few of these, without denting your stack too much. However there's also a good argument for reraising preflop, with position. Personally, I think you over bet post flop. If my calculations are correct, you bet just over the pot; by about 100 chips. I think you could have found out the same information by betting about three quarters of the pot and saving yourself 1000 chips. Once the villain pushes all-in, a lot depends on how they've been playing so far. If they've been using their large stack to bully the table, then I'm calling. If they've had a good run of cards, and shown down some good hands, I'm folding. From the information provided I'm putting the villain on a set (including Jacks) its about the only hand that makes sense of their play. If they slow played a monster pre flop, then it makes no sense that they checked again on the flop. TBH honest, the more I think about this, the more I'm tempted to call... why is your oppo giving a free card on a draw heavy board??? However, I still go back to my first statement: "I'm not very keen on gambling at this stage of a tourney." Fold.

Re: ARGGHHH... what would you do?

Must be a lesson in there somewere.
That aggression pays dividends? :tongue2 I'm pretty sure Brian Townsend would have called in this position (not that he and I are overly close!) as he seems to be a proponet of "calling down skinny". I've called down a couple of hands like this in cash games recently, and done well out of it :D. However cash games are a very different beast to tournies. (lol donkaments :loon)

Re: ARGGHHH... what would you do? Fold. At best you're facing a coin toss, why risk your tourney on this, there'll be better chances latter. Surprised noone else has mentioned this, I hate your call preflop. Youre hand is marginally playable, against a raise from early position which indicates strength and call I see AJo as junk that needed to be trashed, esp in the early stages of the game. You should never have been in the position to make the decision you are now facing

Fold. At best you're facing a coin toss, why risk your tourney on this, there'll be better chances latter. Surprised noone else has mentioned this, I hate your call preflop Ahem Definitely fold and I hate AJos so much I would have folded preflop. I would have preferred to call pre wth a small pair or 910s and not AJos.

Anyone else got any thoughts? I will post up what happened at about 7.45pm tonight!
Ok, it's a horrible hand to play with AJ..should be an easy fold but once you've chucked the chips in, you start thinking you might have a chance of winning and it's hard to let go! :unsure I'll go for him having 9 10 Diamonds and having loads of outs? :cry:cry And he missed...you won!:nana:nana Hopefully? :hope TQM p.s....it's great to have as long as you like to analyse instead of the 10 seconds you ge at the table!

Quick question... the player who shoved had already doubled up. How did he manage this? Had he been very aggressive and/or bullying the table with his big stack? OK, that's two questions.
It was a self deal tourney.... and he happened to be in seat 1 which meant he was dealer on our table... The very first hand the flop came down 4 4 4.... to cut a long story short all the money went in the middle on the river.... 1 player had pocket Queens and the player in question had slow played his quads!!! He hadn't really been playing aggressive, just resting on his stack but I personally did see him as a weakish player!

Re: ARGGHHH... what would you do? My instant reaction when he came over the top was FOLD straight away, I nearly folded nearly instantly but then decided to have a good think abaout it..... As I started thinking about it my opponent said.... 'oh, so you don't have a set then', I deffo didn't take this as a double bluff as I didn't respect him enough to do that.... so I believed here that I had extra info on his hand! This made my decision even tougher... I'm discounting all sets now so the only hands that are beating me are two pair...... and after the raise pre-flop and the call I cannot put him on two pair! The next stage in my thinking was an overpair to the board... (QQ, KK AA).... but why would he just call the 750 bet post flop on a draw heavy board.... I was well into the tank now.... was deffo the longest I've ever thought about 1 hand in a tourney... and decided that the only possible hand I can put him on is a draw of some kind... probably a flush draw and I decided that I didn't need to gamble at that stage..... I folded showing my AJ.... he showed.......... Ad 4d... flush draw..... he decided to deal out the turn and the river (which I didn't like really) but anyways he would of hit his flush on the river!

I would fold' date=' too many hands are beating me here, trips, two pair, str/flu draws possible but unlikely,all possible with his flat call pre-flop, still have 6K left and very early on to get back up later.[/quote'] This was my initial thought.... Spot on.... I disagree..... it is only a 3xBB bet and 9 times out of 10 I will take down the pot here..... If I miss the flop then I can quite easily get away from it! Thanks for all your comments again... they are all much appreciated!!