Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EURO 2008 Knockout Stage Thursday, 19.06.2008 20:45 Portugal - Germany 2.40 3.00 3.25 Friday, 20.06.2008 20:45 Croatia - Turkey 1.91 3.20 4.50 Portugal vs Germany Portugal lived up to the expectations regardless of the defeat in the group A last game when they lost to Switzerland, but the match bore no significance result wise. Scolari rested even eight starters so the failure wasn't painful for them. Germany are meeting Portugal in the early stage since they have failed to come in first in group B. Pantzers are relying on their experience but also on the fact that offensive rivals suit them better. Germany don't handle defensive sides well which was obvious in the duel against Croatia. Over the last few days scorer of three goals in this championship, Podolski has trained less but his chances to join the starting eleven are higher. Germany shouldn’t be underestimated nor should we jump to conclusions about the game against Croatia. They will be much more aggressive in the game against Portugal and they will also have much more space. Scolari formed an excellent squad, the back line is especially impressive- Carvalho and Pepe function perfectly. Unlike some earlier generations, even Figo’s, this one seems much more serious in their approach which is coach’s merit. Scolari is sometimes a true dictator but all for the team’s good. Tactical discipline, patient play, insisting on aggressive approach is something that Portuguese traditionally lack. Portugal have huge experience so we won’t be wrong if we say that Portugal probably won’t have such chance in recent history to finally win an important title. In my opinion Portugal are the favourites, however it is hard to bet against Germany. I see open game here, so I will go over 2.5 goals.:hope Tradition: TOTAL OF 15 GAMES – 7 Germany wins, 5 draws, 3 Portugal wins EURO 1984 – Portugal vs. Germany 0:0 EURO 2000 – Portugal vs. Germany 3:0 Last 5 Portugal matches: 15.06.2008 GROUP A Switzerland-Portugal 2:0 11.06.2008 GROUP A Czech Rep.-Portugal 1:3 07.06.2008 GROUP A Portugal-Turkey 2:0 31.05.2008 FRIEND Portugal-Georgia 2:0 26.03.2008 FRIEND Portugal-Greece 1:2 Last 5 Germany matches: 16.06.2008 GROUP B Austria - Germany 0:1 12.06.2008 GROUP B Croatia - Germany 2:1 08.06.2008 GROUP B Germany - Poland 2:0 31.05.2008 FRIEND Germany - Serbia 2:1 27.05.2008 FRIEND Germany - Belarus 2:2 :cheers

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final

Worth noting that Joachim Low can't be anywhere near the team (inlcuding the dressing room) from 1/2 an hour before the match and until 1/2 an hour afterwards. Portugal to go through @ 1.75 seems tasty.
What happens in the case of penalties? Are the players just told before the game who will take them if it comes to it? I think that is one hell of a huge disadvantage suffered by Germany and I would think you're right about Portugal qualifying. I didn't know that managers suspensions counted in the same way as the players though. :$

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final My pick for tomorrow: Portugal-Germany What a great game this should be. Portugal is more rested and is at full strength. Germany has both Frings and Podolsky injured and doubtful for the game. Portugal greatest weakness is the crosses to the box as keeper Ricardo is great between the posts but sucks in the "air balls" and the fact that there's no left back in the team (Paulo Ferreira is an adaptation. He defends well but that cripples the team offensively on the left). Germany greatest weakness is clear to also be its defense. The Centre Backs are tall but suck with the ball on the ground and with fast plays (and this is how Portugal plays). The left back also doesn't seem very good and only Lahm is a top player. Like Ronaldo very well said it, this type of game is often won in a detail...and the huge detail that makes a difference here is Ronaldo himself. I think Portugal will advance and I expect more than 2 goals in this game (regular time). My picks: Portugal to advance to que semi-finals (1.76) and >2 goals (1.92); Good luck! JC

My pick for tomorrow: Portugal-Germany What a great game this should be. Portugal is more rested and is at full strength. Germany has both Frings and Podolsky injured and doubtful for the game. Portugal greatest weakness is the crosses to the box as keeper Ricardo is great between the posts but sucks in the "air balls" and the fact that there's no left back in the team (Paulo Ferreira is an adaptation. He defends well but that cripples the team offensively on the left). Germany greatest weakness is clear to also be its defense. The Centre Backs are tall but suck with the ball on the ground and with fast plays (and this is how Portugal plays). The left back also doesn't seem very good and only Lahm is a top player. Like Ronaldo very well said it, this type of game is often won in a detail...and the huge detail that makes a difference here is Ronaldo himself. I think Portugal will advance and I expect more than 2 goals in this game (regular time). My picks: Portugal to advance to que semi-finals (1.76) and >2 goals (1.92); Good luck! JC
Please also note that both teams have scored in 8 of their last 10 games overall. JC

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I dont know about this one i'm thinking of portugal i think they will win but hard game i need some one to tell me more i need help here mate tell me what to do i cant lose this bet i need this to win helppppppppppppppp. :unsure

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I'm going for draw after 90 mins @ about 3.1 (adding it to a double), 1 -1 wouldn't suprise me here. Both have goals in the the team, but Germany will surely pay close attention to Ronaldo and stop alot of chances by doing this.. On the other hand Portugal boast possibly the best defence in the tournament with the likes of Carvhalo, Bonsigwa, Pepe etc to shut out the likes of Padolski & Gomez.. I think 1 -1 or 2-2 has a decent chance consdering how close in quality the teams look on paper.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I like the look of Portugal @2.40. The Germans would have probably been out by now had they not been put in the same group with the two weakest teams in the tourny. Croatia were able to keep the ball away from the Germans subsequently controlling the match and Portugal are an even stronger side with the ball at their feet. The German defense has looked weak and slow, and I can see Ronaldo really challenging Metzelder and Mertesacker off the dribble. Portugal must be attentive on set pieces because I don't see the Germans mustering much of an attack.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Both teams would definitely score for sure...I'm 100% certain of this! *sweat* Initial pick would be Portugal to win, going for a 2-1, 3-1 scoreline and a saver on 1-0... Tonight, Germany is at +0.25 2 years ago, it was Portugal +0.25...Portugal lost 3 - 1 to Germany then. So I am hoping for a reverse... In matches that I have been involved in, a match tht has a 0.25 adv to either teams, end up having a clear winner (I think only the Austrian-Polish match resulted in a half win/half lost), so this match, I conclude will not end in a draw... Interesting to note that 65% of the results have favored teams that started with a +0.25 handicap Russia +0.25 v Sweden = 2 - 0 Italy v France +0.25 = 2 - 0 Romania v Netherlands +0.25 = 0 - 2 Poland v Croatia +0.25 = 0 - 1 Switzerland +0.25 v Portugal = 2 - 0 Turkey +0.25 v Czech = 3 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Russia = 0 - 1 Austria +0.25 v Poland = 1 - 1 Switzerland v Turkey +0.25 = 1 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Sweden = 0 - 2 Netherland +0.25 v Italy = 3 - 0 Stay tuned for my long winded commentary later today...

I dont know about this one i'm thinking of portugal i think they will win but hard game i need some one to tell me more i need help here mate tell me what to do i cant lose this bet i need this to win helppppppppppppppp. :unsure
I think total goals over looks like a safe bet...:cheers I'll definitely be putting a substantial amount on an over 2 or even over 2.5... That way, you would be rooting for a goal regardless of who is attacking ... hahaha

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final i agree with OVER !!! Over 2 goals is much safer than over 2.5, the main example i can tell Austria - Poland when penalty was given in 90+1 minute. then i was happy to bet an over 2 goals! Portugal is a favourite of this game? well, a little bit, the odds tell that and nothing more. Law won't be on the bench? well, yes, but at this stage it's not importance. the're not kids, which needs coach help in every second, i agree it's better to have coach on the bench, but it isn't the main thing. Germany was favourites before the Euro 2008, why they now should be underdogs? both teams will play at theyr highest level and motivation, and who will grab that victory hard to say. we have 90 minutes regular time for a two great teams to score 1 goals apeace and we won't lose our money, it looks pretty good, Over 2 goals for me sounds absolutely amazing! also over 2.5 goals with price 2.4 looks pretty good!! gl all! :hope Portugal - Germany OVER 2 goals 1.85@omnibet 8/10 !! :hope

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Not many draws on this tournament, it's kind a strange for me. With my logic I would bet on draw, but after some heavy thoughts I'm not too sure. After watching all games I can say that Portugal is much better team, strong in defence (eventhough some mistakes) and fast and creative in ofence. So I have taken at @2,60 (yesterday) Portugal to win. Portugal win, CS 2:1 or 2:0 EDIT: agree with others, over 2 would be most safer bet.

Not many draws on this tournament, it's kind a strange for me. With my logic I would bet on draw, but after some heavy thoughts I'm not too sure. After watching all games I can say that Portugal is much better team, strong in defence (eventhough some mistakes) and fast and creative in ofence. So I have taken at @2,60 (yesterday) Portugal to win. Portugal win, CS 2:1 or 2:0 EDIT: agree with others, over 2 would be most safer bet.
Well, I could see it as a draw here. Both Portugal and Germany are 2 very strong teams. Now when we are so far in the tourney, neither teams wants to risk anything at this stage. Could see both teams playing safe and wait for the other team to make its move. Draw at half-time and maybe fulltime aswell looks logic for me. But I wont bet on wich team to go trough, that I could see it go either ways. :)

In Portugal's favour is the fact that most of Scolari's players are well rested. While eight of them sat out their final group game against Switzerland, Germany's had to fight for their lives against Austria in Vienna three days ago. Germany have fitness concerns over Torsten Frings and Lukas Podolski. Portugal have no such worries.

Portugal to win 2-1.

6.75pts on Over 2.5 goals @

7/5 & 3.25pts Over 3 goals @ 4/1 BET365, if 1 comes in you return 16.22pts +6.22profit.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final If the Germans can neutralize Ronaldo then it might end up a draw game. I wouldn't write off the Germans just yet but having their coach sent off is a major blow to them. I'll wait for a good price for Portugal on level ball :)

I dont know about this one i'm thinking of portugal i think they will win but hard game i need some one to tell me more i need help here mate tell me what to do i cant lose this bet i need this to win helppppppppppppppp. :unsure
Hi maytab, Well, I'm sorry to say this mate but you should never find yourself in that position and if you are you need a break, need to review the way you're betting and your account. Always remember that good money management is as important as having good picks. Go easy on the game and good luck! JC

Tonight, Germany is at +0.25 2 years ago, it was Portugal +0.25...Portugal lost 3 - 1 to Germany then. So I am hoping for a reverse... In matches that I have been involved in, a match tht has a 0.25 adv to either teams, end up having a clear winner (I think only the Austrian-Polish match resulted in a half win/half lost), so this match, I conclude will not end in a draw... Interesting to note that 65% of the results have favored teams that started with a +0.25 handicap Russia +0.25 v Sweden = 2 - 0 Italy v France +0.25 = 2 - 0 Romania v Netherlands +0.25 = 0 - 2 Poland v Croatia +0.25 = 0 - 1 Switzerland +0.25 v Portugal = 2 - 0 Turkey +0.25 v Czech = 3 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Russia = 0 - 1 Austria +0.25 v Poland = 1 - 1 Switzerland v Turkey +0.25 = 1 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Sweden = 0 - 2 Netherland +0.25 v Italy = 3 - 0 Stay tuned for my long winded commentary later today...
Interesting stuff winningman :ok! :cheers JC

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Everybody speaks about Ronaldo but there's another very much in-form player in the Portuguese squad, Deco who played an outstanding game against the Czechs. I think Portugal are slight favourites going into this match but I'm not betting confidently. We have a weakness in goal (Ricardo is poor outside the posts as someone remarked) though our centrebacks are world class and Petit as a holding midfielder is not he most convincing. These could prove important tonight. However I would still rate Portugal better than Germany going into this match. It will hinge more on midfield (Petit-Deco-Moutinho vs Ballack-Frings) than on Ronaldo against the centrebacks. I hope Scolari will have studied his lesson carefully as we do have some shortcomings but we are better than this current German side. I'm just having a very small nibble on Ricardo Carvalho to score 1st tonight, @34.00 with Stan James.

Tonight, Germany is at +0.25 2 years ago, it was Portugal +0.25...Portugal lost 3 - 1 to Germany then. So I am hoping for a reverse... In matches that I have been involved in, a match tht has a 0.25 adv to either teams, end up having a clear winner (I think only the Austrian-Polish match resulted in a half win/half lost), so this match, I conclude will not end in a draw... Interesting to note that 65% of the results have favored teams that started with a +0.25 handicap Russia +0.25 v Sweden = 2 - 0 Italy v France +0.25 = 2 - 0 Romania v Netherlands +0.25 = 0 - 2 Poland v Croatia +0.25 = 0 - 1 Switzerland +0.25 v Portugal = 2 - 0 Turkey +0.25 v Czech = 3 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Russia = 0 - 1 Austria +0.25 v Poland = 1 - 1 Switzerland v Turkey +0.25 = 1 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Sweden = 0 - 2 Netherland +0.25 v Italy = 3 - 0 Stay tuned for my long winded commentary later today...
Very interesting stuff you got here winningman :ok! :cheers JC

Everybody speaks about Ronaldo but there's another very much in-form player in the Portuguese squad, Deco who played an outstanding game against the Czechs. I think Portugal are slight favourites going into this match but I'm not betting confidently. We have a weakness in goal (Ricardo is poor outside the posts as someone remarked) though our centrebacks are world class and Petit as a holding midfielder is not he most convincing. These could prove important tonight. However I would still rate Portugal better than Germany going into this match. It will hinge more on midfield (Petit-Deco-Moutinho vs Ballack-Frings) than on Ronaldo against the centrebacks. I hope Scolari will have studied his lesson carefully as we do have some shortcomings but we are better than this current German side. I'm just having a very small nibble on Ricardo Carvalho to score 1st tonight, @34.00 with Stan James.
I agree, Deco is in great shape after a very poor season in Barcelona and his greating passing is key to Portugal. Hope he carries on with that today. JC

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Just out of curiosity guys: I've already mention that Scolari's best skil is the way he motivates players. Before the 2002 WC (where he coached Brazil and won the title) he offered the famous book "the art of war" by Sun Tzu (ancient Chinese General) to all the players and staff and asked them to read it before the start of the tournament. He's also known for leaving handwritten motivational messages in the players bedrooms so that they can read them when they go back to their rooms after dinner. And guess what, he did it again last night using, according to reports, a Eleanor Roosevelt quote that goes something like this: Our parents carried us when we had difficulties. May each and everyone of you be there when a colleague is in difficulty to help and say: "don't worry I'm here to help" Hope it works... :cheers to you all and to a great game! JC

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final :cheers

I dont know about this one i'm thinking of portugal i think they will win but hard game i need some one to tell me more i need help here mate tell me what to do i cant lose this bet i need this to win helppppppppppppppp. :cowGermany will win .... it will be a draw till 83' 1-1 score and then Balack will HIT once or twice 1-3 or 1-2 correct score... HT/FT draw/ Germany :unsure

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final :cheers

I dont know about this one i'm thinking of portugal i think they will win but hard game i need some one to tell me more i need help here mate tell me what to do i cant lose this bet i need this to win helppppppppppppppp. :cow :unsure
Germany will win .... it will be a draw till 83' 1-1 score and then Balack will HIT once or twice 1-3 or 1-2 correct score... HT/FT draw/ Germany