** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final A few stats for the quater final stages of the last 3 tournaments; - 4/12 games have ended in draws. (All went to penalties) - 5/12 games have been over 2.5 goals. - Only 4/12 games saw BOTH teams get a goal in 90 minutes.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal -1,-1.5 Portugal had rested most of their team in their loss to Switzerland while Germany had to use their players to scrape a win over Austria 1-0 to go through as Group B runners-up behind Croatia. In doing so, Germany are now counting the cost of those Monday night exertions, with top scorer Lukas Podolski, who has a calf injury, and Torsten Frings, who has broken a rib, fighting to be fit in time for the match. The Germans have been disappointing after their win over Poland in the first game and without the service of their manager from the sidelines, they will be pressed to beat a Portugal side that has displayed some quality football, and as Croatia showed, Germnay can be broken down quite easily with some patience and insightful passing. Portugal to do this relatively easy as their backs should contain Klose and Gomez while Germany's midfield will be overrun by Ronaldo, Deco and Simao.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I have no idea who's going to win this one guys, but Germany at 9/4 (Bet365) is value in my opinion, despite Low's situation. Germany will play a waiting game and Portugal will get frustrated. Germany in 90 mins is my pick.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I want to back Portugal, I really do, but its the Germans and everytime someone writes them off they prove everyone wrong. They just seem to peak at the right time and in the past it has been the case that the teams that do well in the group stages and really impress, don't do it in the knockout stages. Spain have been a classic example in the past. No bet for me.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Anyone have an idea of the starting 11s of the 2 sides? Is there going to be any obvious doubts over players? Guessing the Germans will play with Lehmann, Friedrich, Metzelder, Mertesacker, Lahm, Frings, Ballack, Podolski, Fritz, Klose, Gomez... do you think that's likely side? And for Portugal - Ricardo, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Pepe, Carvahlo, Ronaldo, Deco, Simao, Moutinho, Petit, Gomes....?? Just curious as want to be sure before I make any bets today.... thanks!

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I'm going for a few bets on tonights game: Portugal 3-1 Germany @25/1 Portugal 2-1 Germany @9/1 Joao Moutinho to score anytime @10/1 I can see a well-rested Portuguese side overpower the tired Germans, especially without the influence of the manager Low, who seems to be a big part of why they are where they are now. Ive also got a small double on Portugal & Croatia both to win, at around 4/1

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal v Germany German fans could be forgiven for doubting the national team's credibility as tournament favourites to lift the continental crown. There was nothing their fans could shout about based on their performance in the group stages. The Germans showed promise against Poland, and it proved to be just a rouse as they found it hard to contain a spirited Croatia. Only a Michael Ballack freekick gave them the 1-0 victory over Austria that booked them a date with Portugal tonight in the quarterfinals. The German style can be summed up in one word - INEFFECTIVE. The Portugese on the other hand, secured qualification by the end of the second round of group matches and could afford losing their final match against the co-host, Switzerland. Tonight, it would be their strongest eleven starting against the Germans, and you just cannot talk about Portugal without ever mentioning Cristiano Ronaldo. Jens Lehman, the German keeper, commented in the press that he has a recipe of containing the goal-den boy and he has informed his players about this so-called tactic. Let me point out that, Arsenal, the club where Lehman plied his trade last season, did not come close to beating Ronaldo's Manchester United in 3 attempts. The two matches in which Ronaldo played, finished 2-2 (Emirates) & 2-1(Old Trafford), and in both matches, the Portugese winger cum striker was heavily involved in any move going forward. Lets just take this Lehman talk as bull crap. OK, that was irrelevant, but I just had to say it. In my opinion, it is not possible to contain Ronaldo. The only way to stop Ronaldo is for Ronaldo to stop playing. One could only hope that he has an off day. Unlikely to happen tonight, given the circumstances of his year so far. 42 goals in all club competition, a second successive English title, a first European Champion League medal, a strong favourite for FIFA Footballer of the Year and captain of the Portugese team in the absence of Nuno Gomes. Ronaldo is a player on form, and I doubt the Germans have any prayer of stopping the Portugese tonight with him playing. Ronaldo is not Portugal, I agreed, but Portugal with Quaresma in place of Ronaldo, will not get far. The German beat the Portugese 3-1 in the last World Cup, but in the 2000 edition of the European tournament, the Portugese handed out a 3-0 beating to the Germans. Going into tonight's match, the Germans are sweating on the fitness of Lucas Podolski & Torsten Frings, who both picked up knocks in their last match. This is a real worry for the Germans as they had struggled to perform even when these two players were fit. And herein lies the key to a Portugese victory - midfield. If the Portugese manage to boss the midfield tonight, which looks very likely, given that Michael Ballack, the German captain, have not really played well in the tournament so far. The likes of Deco & Joao Moutinho are more than capable of controlling the midfield and tempo of the match. Germany are also finding it hard to find an effective strik partnership with Klose-Gomes proving ineffective in their first two matches. Lucas Podolski was pushed up to partner Klose against the Austrians, but that also did not prove fruitful. Nuno Gomes have not found the net for the Portugese as well, but the the five goals scored so far have been coming from midfield and beyond. Germany, lethargic & uninspired to say the least. Portugal to win by two clear goals. Total goal over 2.25 Both teams to score, scoreline 2 - 1/3 - 1

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Another really hard game to predict at the Euros with such even teams. Germany has many match winners in its team and although they have been playing poorly in there first three games the individual brilliance of players like Ballack and Podolski have lifted them in the past three games. The problem with Germany i think is they don't have wingers that will pose threats to the Portugal wingers of Ferriera and Boswingwa. On the other hand Portugal have been faultles with there first team on the park of course excluding the last game against the Swiss. Portugal has strengthened there backline during this Euro campain compared to previous international tournaments this is why i think the game is so hard to predict since this is the case im going to go for a small put on a draw at full-time at 3.00 on bet365. Interesting stats-Portugal drew at full-time against England in the Quarter-Finals during the Euro 2004. Germany drew at full-time against Argentina in the Quarter-Finals during the 2006 World Cup. Goodluck to all.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal Vs Germany I fancy Portugal to reach the final, so therefore I am backing them whoever their opponents. Fear others but do not fear Germany, they are struggling to score, and seem to rely to heavily on Klose, who has had a shit tournament so far, and this Gomez is absolute balls, did anybody see his miss from a yard out when he put it over the bar?? Podolski is carrying the Germans on his back, and Ballack doesn't really seem to be very inspiring, yes great goal the other night but other than that all he does is moan at the ref, that aint gona help you! Also Germany without their manager is a huge blow, with Scolari leaving the Portugese at the end of the tournament, they will be more determined than ever to show that they are not affected by this and to repay him in all his hard work. You have to fancy Portugal to qualify for the next round at 1.72. The German defence as we all know is slow, with Lehmann well past his best. The likes of Deco's magic, and Ronaldo, Simao, Moutinho, Quaresma and Nani, all I see here is too much power, pace, and magic for the Germans to handle. I will be playing Portugal Qualify Next round 1.72 for £500 Also Portugal win in 90 mins at 2.37 for £150 :ok

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal @2.54 5/10 Fancy Portugal here, Germany have been less than impressive in this tournament and were lucky to be in such a poor group with Poland and Austria. Podolski apart their front men of Klose and Gomez haven't been firing and Podolski himself along with midfielder Frings is a doubt for tonight. Portugal in their 2 meaningful games were impressive and Deco has been back to his best in this tournament. I think from midfield to front Portugal have more quality than Germany at the moment and their fast passing and movement of Deco, Ronaldo, Simao and Moutinho can create chances against a slow German backline ( Lahm apart). Also feel Scolari is a better manager than Low and Portugal also have the advantage of being able to rest most of their first XI against Switzerland while Germany played a tough match against Austria on Monday. Extra time is always a threat in such a big game so I'll have a small cover Portugal to win in Extra Time 11/1 1/10

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final

Anyone have an idea of the starting 11s of the 2 sides? Is there going to be any obvious doubts over players? Guessing the Germans will play with Lehmann, Friedrich, Metzelder, Mertesacker, Lahm, Frings, Ballack, Podolski, Fritz, Klose, Gomez... do you think that's likely side? And for Portugal - Ricardo, Bosingwa, Ferreira, Pepe, Carvahlo, Ronaldo, Deco, Simao, Moutinho, Petit, Gomes....?? Just curious as want to be sure before I make any bets today.... thanks!
DJ, Scolari confirmed that the starting 11 will be the same as in the previous 1st and 2nd group games. His not the type of manager that will change many players (unlike, for example, Donadoni). so the team you mentioned is most likely the one that will start for Portugal. JC

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final I took Portugal AH 0 just because they played better than Germans and against stronger opponents. Germans will try to slow the game down and wait for fastbreaks to Podolski and Klose. Portugal on the other hand is likely to seek their chances through wings and individual skills of C.Ronaldo. Nevertheless I won't writte Germans off - they tend to play their best in games in which nobody is expecting them to win. GL :hope

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal should win this on current form, think Deco, Moutinho and Ronaldo should run at the two giant German centre-backs who dont look the most mobile pairing in the competition, with the manager banished from the bench and Frings/Podolski struggling for fitness, Portugal are the pick @ 7/5 to take the Germans out in 90 mins.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal: Ricardo, Ferreira, Bosingwa, Ronaldo, Petit, Moutinho, Simao, Pepe, Carvalho, Deco, Nuno Gomes. Subs to follow. Germany: Lehmann, Friedrich, Rolfes, Schweinsteiger, Klose, Ballack, Hitzlsperger, Lahm, Mertesacker, Podolski, Metzelder. Subs to follow.

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Portugal v Germany 1/4 Finals Euro 2008 Championships Here we are now at the knock-out stages - no more 2nd chances from here! This is why these games become even more cautious for all teams concerned. Here we have 2 teams who have had a varied Championships up till now - Portugal have looked good beating Czech Republic & Turkey in their first 2 games and then putting a 2nd string side out for the game v the Swiss. Germany as always scraping through unconvincing and doing what they have to do to get through to the knockout stages where they have excelled so many times in the past! Expect a cagey start from both teams here, weighing each other up. Portugal won't want to get sucker punched on the counter attack early on as the Germans can be a hard side to breakdown and get back at if they have a lead. The mentality of teams changes in this stage of a competition and exerting all energies early is suicidal which all teams will know! That is why my bets are going to concentrate on the belief that each team will cancel each other out and the 1st half stale mate! I'll play in running there after weighing up each teams position. So my bets: Half Time Result = DRAW 5/6 Paddypower Time of First Goal = 30 + mins EVS Paddypower Half Time Correct Score = 0 v 0 11/8 Paddypower If I was asked to give a winner outright in this match it would be Germany but in extra time or pens! They have seen it all before and know how to win ugly! Portugal for all their tricks and skill just haven't got the pedigree of Germany! Will Ronaldo then finally tell us all what he's going to do??? :ok

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final The overall view would seem to favour a Portuguese victory. I can't disagree with that. Plenty of people fancy the overs, but with a strong defence for Portugal and a very dodgy German back line it may be that only one team will score, making the overs a harder goal. Just a word of caution.

Portugal v Germany 1/4 Finals Euro 2008 Championships Half Time Result = DRAW 5/6 Paddypower Time of First Goal = 30 + mins EVS Paddypower Half Time Correct Score = 0 v 0 11/8 Paddypower If I was asked to give a winner outright in this match it would be Germany but in extra time or pens! They have seen it all before and know how to win ugly! Portugal for all their tricks and skill just haven't got the pedigree of Germany! Will Ronaldo then finally tell us all what he's going to do??? :ok
Gone for a variation of the Draw at HT - 0-0 7/5 & 1-1 7/1 PP With more pressure to get a result from this one off game the situation with the German coach will certainly have an effect on their performance. Interestingly the Ref Frojdfeldt has officiated over 2 games that went over in this tournament (Ned 3-0 Ita, Turk 3-2 Czch), he tends to let the game flow as much as possible. So also going for the overs as well. Selection: Over 2.5Goals 11/8 PP

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Few interest bets for me I suppose... Podolski to score first at 8/1 Nuno Gomes to score first at 7/1 Also trying Ballack first goal and correct score 2-2 at 80/1 .... Just going to enjoy the game though, only for a few quid.

Ive taken "Over 2" @ 1.9 Most people are touting this as over 2.5, and I like the security of stake back if exactly 2 goals even if it lessens the odds :)
Always nice when a bets a winner after the first half! Congrats to all on the +2.5 :clap

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final Great game!!! and I couldn't have got it more wrong with it being cagey and no goals!!! Still plenty of twists and turns in 2nd half and i still reckon this could go all the way to extra time and pens!!! ok now some more value bets i'll have: Germany to qualify on pens 17/2 Paddypower and a 4 v 4 draw in the 90 mins 100/1 Paddypower betting in running! that 4 v 4 bet is awesome price! :ok

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final How many times have they mentioned england in this game?? come back motson, all is forgiven!! cant believe when germany scored the 1st, very well orchestrated team goal, they immediately compared it to an england goal. I can quite comfortabley say if all they have to talk about in this time is a completely unrelated knocked-out country, then I know far more about these 2 teams and football in general than these muppets. And both my bets look won (see GH section) :hope

How many times have they mentioned england in this game?? come back motson, all is forgiven!! cant believe when germany scored the 1st, very well orchestrated team goal, they immediately compared it to an england goal. I can quite comfortabley say if all they have to talk about in this time is a completely unrelated knocked-out country, then I know far more about these 2 teams and football in general than these muppets. And both my bets look won (see GH section) :hope
That really annoys me! Its not like they ever mention Wales or Scotland to give it some balance, its all England this and England that, most usually on ITV. Still, not being funny but I'd rather put up with that than actually have England there and have to have all the incessant media hype and flags on cars etc. Its nice to have a tournament off once every decade! Anyway well done Germany. 41-1 to 1 for Germany to win 3-2! Never write off the Germans.