Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge yeah i played quite a few of the nl hilo games earlier this year and i have a few tips. 1 watch for the holdem players. usually they are easy to spot as they will push with top pair or 2 pair on a board with a possible already made flush/straight(they still think you might draw a fourth suited/running card for a flush/straight:lol)also usually the low side of their hand can be lacking so you should be less afraid to call with a less than nut lo. spotting these players should help to decide who to target,i reckon at least 50%of the players on here have very little idea how to play omaha let alone hilo and its probably 75%. 2 dont be afraid to start pushing but you can also do a suprising amount with a short stack ,so dont be afraid to fold to big bets. so dont worry about folding a lot more on the mid levels100-200 blinds etc. dont worry till your stack gets to around 3-4x the bb, unlike holdem a lot more hands have possabilitys ,so you can wait and push most hands if needs be.usually unless i have a big stack i turn to push or fold at that point. also you have a double chance of winning a hand and although it will only keep you at a similar stack if you win one way ,it will keep you in;). 3 watch out for players that fold too much to bets they should be calling whatever the hand. if a player is repeatedly not making correct value calls(this should be more obvious in omaha with more family pots ,so better pot odds) these players should be bullied with pretty much any hand pre flop. even if they call ,you will pretty much always have a decent shout against whatever they have, if they fold a lot then you should be picking a decent amount in blinds. 4 bully if your the big stack. again same as above ,you will have outs and if their tourneys on the line they will likely fold especially nearing the bubble. 5 always try to get top 2 as the money difference is quite big. on either the 9 or 18 seaters the payout for 1st/2nd is a lot better than 3rd or 4th. if you creep into the money then the payout is about the buy in so if you are near the bubble its best to try to be as aggressive as possible to get those higher spots.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Great tips Uber :cow I tried to keep aware of them when playing my sessions yesterday and had a really strong start .... consistent (although not winning any :cry). Things went a bit pear shaped though later on .... tiredness got to me so was the wrong time to multi table SnGs .... maybe I should re-type this thread "How not to build a bank roll" ...... but I was still doing ok until a computer crash knocked saw early exits all round as my stacks disappeared ..... But I'm not naive :\ I shouldn't have been multi tabling in the first place .... it was late in the day and I'd only got in at 5am so there is no way I could have been on form. So, end result, $1.30 down for the day ...... EDIT : For some reason the table won't paste properly so no breakdown of games. Played 16 for total loss of $1,30. 5 cash finishes, no wins.

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge End of week 2 and not a happy report :sad Below is a table of my finishes since my last post. Open Balance1st2nd3rd4th5th - 9thOthersClose BalanceMTT Notes9.6.2008$55,90011133$54,5510.6.2008$54,55000026$32,55Incl 3 x MTT, no cashes11.6.2008$32,553004311$25,80Incl 2 x MTT, no cashes12.6.2008$25,8023031014$20,35Incl 1 x MTT, no cash13.6.2008$20,35000004$13,3514.6.2008$13,35000105$2,25Incl 1 x MTT, no cash So, what I have learnt from this .... ? I need help :\ These stats make me a bad SnG player :$ I never claim to be a great player, but I have had enough success in the variant games previously to believe I can play a little ...... clearly I'm missing something. A few general points on the games I have been playing in the past 2 weeks. 1) 95% of the games I have been playing are 2 table, TURBO with a $1.50 + 25c buy in. 2) 2 thirds have been in NL Omaha Hi-Lo 3) Best results have come in HORSE and STUD Hi-Lo, cashing about 40% of the time in both. Any other info that may help give me advice ?? Not busted yet, still one game left in me. Given the results so far I will invest my last buy-in in a HORSE game. Let's hope I cash otherwise I'm re-depositing and starting again ..... :dude EDIT - as you can see, still having trouble posting a table. GAF can you help ? To summarise, 9th June, Played 9, 3 cashes 10th June, Played 8, 0 cashes (yes zero !) 11th June, Played 21, 7 cashes (3 x 1st) 12th June, Played 32, 8 cashes (2 x 1st) 13th June, Played 4, 0 cashes 14th June, Played 6, 1 cash

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Thinking of something Fred said to me on thursday, my silence has not been due to the poor results !! It's taking me a while to play and record my results so decided I will post an update at the end of each week from now on :ok

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Would it be worth sticking to just one game (such as HORSE) and getting consistent at that before trying other games? I find that I struggle a lot more when I chop and change (anything - 1 table/2 table - turbo/deep cheap/less cheap buy in etc) - by focusing on one variant, one skill (and I know HORSE is a range of games, but it's one tournament type) I can find it easier to focus on what I need to do. That rake must hurt - how high do you have to go to get to a standard 10% rake?

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge

That rake must hurt - how high do you have to go to get to a standard 10% rake?
Yes, while an extra 10c rake doesn't seem much on any individual game, the difference between 10% rake and 16.67% rake could easily be the difference between making a loss and making a profit in the long run. I'd seriously consider going up to a level that only charges 10% if that's not too big a jump. Money management is certainly important, but there's a balance to be struck between increasing your ROI and reducing your variance, and that level of rake will be seriously hurting your ROI. Or even better, maybe consider switching to a site where you can play at the same level for a more reasonable rake.

That rake must hurt - how high do you have to go to get to a standard 10% rake?
$6 tables have a $0.5 rake on Stars Sticking to one game and table type is a good idea. Only problem I find is the time it takes for tables to fill up. It limits the number of games I can play as I cannot always plan long sessions ... but maybe that is not a bad thing :)
I'd seriously consider going up to a level that only charges 10% if that's not too big a jump. Money management is certainly important, but there's a balance to be struck between increasing your ROI and reducing your variance, and that level of rake will be seriously hurting your ROI. Or even better, maybe consider switching to a site where you can play at the same level for a more reasonable rake.
I may have been a bit naive as I never even thought about the impact rake would have at such low levels .... :$ If I'd have been paying closer attention to ROI (rather than simpl P & L) I may have realised ..... :\ Going up a stake may also help me take the money more seriously. I know you should treat all games with the same attitude (to win someone else's money) but playing at $1.50 games almost makes me feel like I'm not playing for anything. Not good, I know, but that's honestly how I've been feeling ..... :dude If I have to start again I will certainly consider a slightly higher game (with a more reasonable rake) and, going back to some earlier posts, maybe try some cash games. Will have to think carefully though. Only ever play cash profitably in Omaha8 so if I stick to the HORSE in tourney play will this help or hinder me .. ?? Quick question : I am considering the pocker tracker software. How does this cope with playing HORSE games ??

It doesn't :tongue2
Not totally true, in does track the Hold Em part ..... but that's not really use nor ornament. I also downloaded the Stud Version of PT - but all the Poker Stars hands errored - maybe its not supported anymore ?? Never tried the Omaha Version of PT

NL Omaha Hi/Lo seems like madness :loon Isn't that meant to be a limit game? What are your results like in this game alone? I'd imagine it'd be fairly hard to achieve consistent results?
Madness isn't the word ..... most of my bankroll went on these games. :wall I figured myself to be an ok player having played PL and Limit Omaha8 with some small successes (more so in PL) but the game was definitely a bit more like a bingo freeroll at times - although those who have seen me play NL Hold Em might say I should be right at home !! Don't get me wrong, I learnt 2 other important lessons from these games. 1) I get frustrated and impatient far too easily when I feel like I'm surrounded by idiots - there were some better players, even at such low stakes, happy to take advantage of this. 2) Sometimes you can make too many moves. If they don't (or can't) see it coming they won't lay down and move aside :ok Simply playing your hand isn't the worst thing you can do ..... sometimes anyway :dude When I first started playing poker, limit games were not much fun for me - I got bored not being able to lump all my chips in when I felt like it ! But in the 2 weeks I have to say my performances (not just results) felt so much more controlled and my play stronger in the limit games. My last buy in went very easily - so a disastrous 2 weeks all in all. Got off to a bright start but lost my focus in a matter of days. Failed in my first attempt So adjustments as I continue (taking on board some of the advice posted). 1) Re-deposited $50 on Stars - new balance $50.54 2) Playing $3 + 0.40 and $6 + 50, single table sit and go 3) Playing up to $3 + 0.30 MTT 4) Only 1 game type at a time - HORSE until further notice Next update on sunday :)

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Time on the PC has been short due to "quality time" with the missus and a long Finnish weekend ..... if you've never experienced "Juhannus" it's much like a boozy night out, except in a quiet, scerenic environment with your mates, BBQ and fishing for 4 days solid and 24 hours daylight (near enough) .... a must if ever in Finland :cheers For those following there will be a full update soon ... it's not all going well :wall But we live and learn (a lot of learning in the next 12 months I hope :ok).

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge So, over the past week not a lot to report. Took all but a dollar and change from the site and been playing freerolls and FPP satellites. Had a lot on so almost feel like Ive been taking a break .... plenty of time for a real finnish session at the weekend though :beer I did play the HORSE and NL OH8 freerolls today (finally at a decent time for me :D) on Stars and made the final 10 tables each time so have 2 Weekly round 2 tickets ...... does anyone know if these freerolls are always NL HE ?? Usual freerolls but with field of 5400 and 3200 I felt I made some good plays (and rode a little luck) to plough through the field. Once we were down to the final 10 tables everyone won the same ticket so no practice at "final stages" play. Have downloaded poker tracker Omaha and been taking a look at that to help with any cash OH8 I play ..... it's all a bit technical for me :loon Sure I will get the hang of it soon but if anyone has any beginners tips for the Omaha Tracker would be appreciated ..... if it helps me will purchase a copy. Right now my balance on Stars is $2.30 - when my head is clear of other distractions and I can plan some proper play time, I will put some money back on and think carefully about the limits I decide to play, time to give the cash games a go I think :ok In the meantime I have added another tourney as a goal .... I plan to play in Event 11 of the WCOOP on Stars .... PL OH8 buy in $320 :drums .... ideally I'll qualify through a satellite so Im gonna play a few of their cheap satellites to collect some tourney dollars (as they dont seem to have one for this event outright). You can get some rebuys at $2-4 (unfortunately in NL HE), but the fields tend to be quite week and I've done ok in these in the past .... :dude

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge they do omaha and stud occasionally on a sunday [weekly rnd 2]. ive got over 30 weekly rnd 2 tickets from ages ago when i used the freerolls to learn razz,horse and stud h/l i should use them up but i can't be bothered to do the holdem ones and im usually busy on sundays. best of luck with the rest of your challenge

they do omaha and stud occasionally on a sunday [weekly rnd 2]. ive got over 30 weekly rnd 2 tickets from ages ago when i used the freerolls to learn razz,horse and stud h/l i should use them up but i can't be bothered to do the holdem ones and im usually busy on sundays. best of luck with the rest of your challenge
Used to play these freerolls all the time when I first started (many moons ago :)) and in over a hundred I did not win a single Round 2 ticket :cry Put me off poker for a while but I like to think this shows I play better "bingo" if nothing else :lol Cheers for the tip ... like you not sure I'd use these tickets in the HE round 2 :ok

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge No proper poker for a week - played a live home game on saturday so managed to get my "fix" one way or another :lol Home games in Finland are just the same as the UK with one big difference ..... the sauna is on the whole time so when you crash out, you just grab a 'sauna beer' and chill for a while. I'm thinking that's why they are all so aggressive :ok While not playing, I have been looking around at some of the tournies and have found another that I want to add to my list. So far it is at 3 ..... 7th August 2008 - Full Tilt FTOPS Event 2 - $240 + 16 PL Omaha Hi/Lo (Knockout) 10th September 2008 - Poker Stars WCOOP Event Event 11 - $300 + 20 PL Omaha Hi/Lo 2009 - Live WSOP any $1500 - $2000 PL Omaha Hi/Lo For the first online event, I will try to qualify, but if that doesn't work I will buy straight in. Hopefully these bigger buy-in tournies will; a) give me a chance to play against some of the better players b) any cash finish would be a nice little earner ;) There is also a weekly game on Stars ($215 buy in), that would be ideal to play once a month. On the resource side, defintiely going to get a full version of Omaha Tracker - now that I have tried it, I think there is definitely value in the information for the cash game play. There are lots of weak cash game players in Hi/Lo so if I can just find them ...... :cheers Also have drawn up a list of titles on amazon that I will read (and maybe review for the forum) ..... not sure how useful they will be. Tend to find with poker books these days, a lot are basic stuff with little or no depth. Then there are others that are so poorly written you (or I !) give up a few chapters in. If anyone has any reccomendations for books on Omaha Hi/Lo, 7 Stud Hi/Lo or Razz, would welcome the suggestions. May save me some wasted time and money :ok So, not a lot of poker to report on but play another HORSE freeroll in about 30mins ..... 313 days to go Challenge Fund = about -$100 :sad

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge 300th out of 3188 in today's HORSE freeroll. Had a specific strategy for this and it seemed to work well. Definite holes in my play are Stud and Limit HE (to a lesser extent). Played more aggressively in my stronger games once the blinds got high ..... found it's easier to steal pots in Razz especially when people are relatively short stacked (5 - 10 big bets). But exit hand was in Razz, started with 2-3-5, then hit a 6 against 2 callers both showing 10 high ... big stack won the hand with 7 high, I didn't improve Half my chips (4k) were in on 4th st .... was this too aggressive ? I had 8k and big stack holding 50k .... should I have played more cautiously or was it correct to push what I considered to be the strongest hand ? EDIT : At this point big bet was 1200 I think.

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Can you find the HH for it Myrie? :ok btw, I'm planning on playing the WCOOP Razz event. Same as you, I'll try and sat my way in, but if not I'm going to buy-in for this. My strategy may seem simplistic, but I find it works well against those who try and bluff with strong upcards. Basically I start with 8 high. and play as long as I can beat what I'm looking at PLUS thee strongest possible downcards. If I'm in with a chance then I let them take the lead, but its amazing how many people can see you are showing 6 high and think that you're playing with paint. It surprises me how many people raise with a hand like TA[3], only to be forced to fold when they get dealt 2 paint cards, after they've been the aggressor.

Can you find the HH for it Myrie? :ok My strategy may seem simplistic, but I find it works well against those who try and bluff with strong upcards. It surprises me how many people raise with a hand like TA[3], only to be forced to fold when they get dealt 2 paint cards, after they've been the aggressor.
It may sound simplistic, but I bet it works :ok With so much info around you sometimes best thing to do is play what you see ...... (is there a poker version of catchphrase ??) :lol Will defo rail you in that one :ok. HH ?? (Here is where you tell me an obvious answer and I feel stupid :$) EDIT : Hand History !!! Now Im with it ! Will try and dig it out, sure I got the tourney number still ...

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Finally some time for an update .... more bad news on the way :( My aims were really to get back to winning :ok but also to concentrate as much on PL Omaha8 as possible - the Full Tilt tourney I plan to play is next week so countdown time ! Final week of the month split my time across 4 sites. My lack of success on Stars was beginning to get to me so thought a change of site might refresh my game (and maybe bring weaker opponents). Poker Trillion Deposited $20 to play the PL/Blonde tourney, used the rest on Omaha PL cash tables ($0.10/0.25). Never any traffic on the hi/lo so this was my second alternative. In 3 sessions moved it up to $130 :loon Cashed out $100 then lost the other 30 on day 3. Net profit - $80 I don't consider Omaha HI to be a strong game for me, but this is not the first time I've had success on the cash tables. Put this down to some very loose/poor play on these tables - seemed to get callers on all of my big hands up against mainly 2 pair and no draw :unsure Doyles Room Only played freerolls before on here but fancied a change of scenery. Deposited $30 and played only PL Omaha Hi-Lo. Won my first 2 SnGs (1 x $5, 10 seater, 1 x €5 6 seater), can't remember what happened next but on day 2 sat down with $75 on a cash game ($0.50/$1). Session lasted over an hour in which I peaked at $180 and left with $135. One very aggressive player who doubled me up when down to $50 then took the rest of his chips. Table went down to heads up when I had $160 and left because I felt the other guy was getting the upper hand on me - and didnt wanna lose all my cash :) Cashed out $100. On days 3 and 4 I basically wasted the cash playing the first tournies that were available when I was online - all NL HE and lost them all :wall Lesson in that ! Net Profit - $70 Party Poker Deposited $50 and soon doubled that up with a combination of a $5 SnG win and 2 profitable cash sessions ($0.25/0.50). Then it went downhill on sunday ...... halved my bankroll in a $2 rebuy (crashed out after contributing $12), a $25 cash loss in 3 hands and 2 more "no cashes" in SnGs On monday I came back for more and dropped my whole stack + another $50 deposit playing cash tables. :@ With my mind on tilt I deposited another $50 but decided to take a break for a couple of days ..... Net Profit - -$100 Poker Stars Deposited $109,82 friday night, lost $50 within an hour on a $0,25/50 PL cash table. Bubbled in 4 SnGs (2 x $3, 1 x $6, 1 x $16) in a row :cryand felt thoroughly dejected :sad Re-deposited, played a couple of MTTs (incl. 2 Omaha Hi with 1 cash), 11 SnGs (2 x 2nd places in $16 and $6, 1 x 3rd in $6 and rest no cashes) - there were a couple of HU games in this in which I won 1 of 3 .... hmmm End result I lost all $30 again by Monday :sad On the positive side, my 2nd place finish was in an 9 seat LIMIT game. Felt I played this one well, patient in the early stages and only really got involved (due to lack of starting hands) once we were down to 5. Lucky I guess to get hands when the blinds went up - but you must get hands sometimes right ?? Difference I felt was that I actually had chips to play with by the time this happened rather than be out already playing mediocre hands. Came back with $40 more and went through that playing 3 rebuy tournies - 1 Omaha Hi, 1 Omaha8 PL. Wednesday - deposited $40 and focused on HU games. Started by winning first 2, then only 1 of next 5 - $11 except 1 x $6. Switched to 2 table SnGs and a fwe more HU all at $3 - dropped the lot. Friday did not play - same as with party poker, I have put another $50 on there but took the chance of a day off while I contemplate what is going on. Net Profit - -$215 ------------------------------------------------- So in all I have deposited about $265 and have about $100 left ..... 304 days to go Challenge Fund = about -$265 :sad If anyone has any questions or suggestions this might help my work out what is going wrong. Definitely had some tilt issues in the past week. The money doesn't bother me so uch (maybe it should :unsure) but not being consistent and profitable I do not like ..... there are obviously some flaws in my game/approach so I need help :ok I take everything personally so please be brutal with your thoughts if you need to .... I will take even the nicest comment the wrong way sometimes so no point to hold back :lol I have the $240 + 16 tourney on Full Tilt next week and am considering whether I am ready for this or not .... I am prepared to buy-in (will try to satellite in) but don't know whether this is foolish ignorance of what has happened over the past month or valid confidence that I am capable of playing. Either way - it is the weekend :clap And the premier league kicks off in 2 weeks :drums So plenty to be positive about :ok :dude EDIT : sorry for the long posts .... don't often have time to update so you get it all in one hit !

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Brutal? Here goes (although it may be lost on you)......you're playing like Jaded when he's on holiday. :ok Jaded is a teacher and when he is on holiday he likes to play poker....but he likes ALL forms of poker, including 2-7 triple draw and the like. If there is a tournament starting in two minutes of when he fires Pokerstars up, then he is in...giving little consideration for the bankroll management...but this is his entertainment - he plays for the enjoyment and isn't always concerned with the end result. It may be the lack of regular updates, but that is how the post above reads. Sorry. As regards your tactics...its hard to comment on an approach towards your challenge because it seems so vague you'll play all forms of poker and all types of tournaments - maybe this is the problem? You seem to do well playing Omaha hi/lo cash....is that true? If so, then why don't you focus on that strength to help your long term goals? If you suffer a 'boredom' playing cash games for too long and need the thrill of the tournament I can suggest a compromise. Play cash games with the approach that this is funding your tournament play. Take to the table what you were planning on losing (paying for) in tournaments and try and double your buy-in. I hope you succeed in your challenge (apart from the obvious $$ it will bring, but because I think 'us' variant players are thin on the ground.

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Very frank and honest comments ... thanks Valiant. :ok Your summary has rings of truth to it. As I was reading it I looked at the 3 games I have played today - $10 Omaha8 SnG, $20 HORSE heads up and $6 Omaha8 rebuy .... all games I enjoy & can easily afford but no real pattern other than these were available at the time and I am going out for a beer this afternoon :eyes Yes I do well in cash games - both Omaha and Omaha8. In the past I always used to play these to fund my awful Hold Em play ... I would join a HE tourney for fun, with a cash table at the same time to make back the buy-in I knew I would likely lose .... to some this may same silly, but I play HE games online 80% for fun and 20% with a desire to win:nana I decided on this challenge after a month showing more than $2k profit in a variety of MTTs (Razz, Stud Hi-Lo, Omaha and Omaha8). I have always known which games I'm stronger in and hoped (still hope) along the course of the next year I will develop some discipline and improve these games. Other problem I have noticed is that I tend not to plan sessions - I don't know when I will have time so I play as much as I can when I am online. So, I will take your advice and play some cash games on each site with a particular tourney in mind. I will see how I go over the weekend but it is pretty likely I will play the Full Tilt tourney (even if I have to buy in directly). This should also make for shorter posts ! I have not bought Omaha Tracker yet (trying to earn it through a promotion) but once I do I will try to post some stats and HH so you can dissect my play with a bit more info. Thanks again for the input :cheers :dude

I will see how I go over the weekend but it is pretty likely I will play the Full Tilt tourney (even if I have to buy in directly).
If you have a decent game I expect you'd do pretty well there. Regarding your play time I have a similar problem - I can be free all day sometimes but not able to commit to a tournament because at the same time I can be packed off across country at the drop of a hat.
Other problem I have noticed is that I tend not to plan sessions - I don't know when I will have time so I play as much as I can when I am online.
In that case, maybe memorizing the timetable of truly suitable tournaments would be sensible, or allowing yourself a session budget so that when you do play you know that you will only spend X amount. Just thinking out loud. :ok

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Today I am starting by playing PL OH8 cash. Using the $8 profit from yesterday on FT, I wil play the OH $4+0.4 rebuy satellite for FTOPS Event 23 - if I win I will use the tournament $$ for thursdays game.

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge Satellite cost me $8,40 (no rebuy 1 add on) and was 7th of 28. Will post a hand history in the strategy section. After 1 hour, my cash table is showing $5.60 profit so taking a break now :ok

Re: Wsop 2009 Variant Challenge dont know if this is of interest but pokeroom seem to be running a decent omaha/hilo tourney schedule at the moment:nana seem to have a lot of games running and quite decent sized fields and a lot of weak players. also pt omaha works on there as well:ok

dont know if this is of interest but pokeroom seem to be running a decent omaha/hilo tourney schedule at the moment:nana seem to have a lot of games running and quite decent sized fields and a lot of weak players. also pt omaha works on there as well:ok
Definitely of interest :ok Thanks. I don't have an account with pokerroom yet .... any worthwhile promotions / rakeback deals ??