** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Golf The Masters

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf The Masters I placed a bet quite a while ago on Goosen @ 67s and then @ 51s (both e/w, 1/4 1-2-3-4-5, with Sportingbet). He's come Top 3 in his past 3 outings at the Masters and prior to that he was T13, T13 and then another top 5 finish. It's clearly a course that suits him well and I am hoping this will be a psychologial boost for him as I believe he has been suffering a bit after laser eye surgery. His result at the WGA OC was certainly promising though.

Re: Golf The Masters Ogilvy is showing some consistent form coming into this tournament and I will be having a small nibble on him at 25/1 with Betfair, though looking at his driving stats this year I would have preferred him to be somewhere around 35's. Justin Leonard seems too big a price at 209/1. Has been having a great season so far and his driving accuracy/gir/putting average looks more than good enough to put him in the frame here. 33/2 for a top 5 finish. Will also be having a few notes e/w on Cabrera, purely because he is so much fun to follow, and badeley a my dark horse.

Re: Golf The Masters Goosen e/w at 33's a while back. Ogilvy e/w 25's Goosen- Finished 2nd last year and is showing consistent form coming into this event. Ogilvy- Has turned in an ideal warm-up for this week's US Masters, crafting a 68 to finish in a tie for second place at the Houston Open. Ogilvy travels to Georgia with his confidence high, having ended Tiger Woods' six-month unbeaten streak at the World Golf Championships-CA Championship in Florida. Good Luck People!

Re: Golf The Masters my mate has been going on about ogilvy for a couple of weeks now, says he's in great form, I backed Goosen last year and got a good run for the collateral so given his record at augusta I'd be inclined to strongly agree with above posts, he knows his way around here. Good thing about golf betting is the e/w prices available Woods is around 2/1 to win it yet a more than decent player can be around 20's to finish in the top 5. Going to have a look at the current GIR stats, these are critical for Augusta.

Re: Golf The Masters My reasons for my above bets are as follows , J.Rose , Good masters record and verg good majors form last year ,good putter and ball striker , a bit worried about him if in the mix on sunday night ,as can be a bottler ,but every dog has its day !! L.Donald , Same reasons as Rose but his putting has improved this year ,and playing like he was in 2006 H. Mahan , I think his game will suit this track, finished 28th in 2003 his only appearance in the Masters. S.Cink , Has a decent Masters record and playing some great golf this year , H.Stenson i dont think has the short game for this track. Adding KJ Choi , Has a reasonable Masters record and seems to have stepped his game in last 2 years ,so expect a big week from him . GL ALL

Re: Golf The Masters

My reasons for my above bets are as follows , J.Rose , Good masters record and verg good majors form last year ,good putter and ball striker , a bit worried about him if in the mix on sunday night ,as can be a bottler ,but every dog has its day !! L.Donald , Same reasons as Rose but his putting has improved this year ,and playing like he was in 2006 H. Mahan , I think his game will suit this track, finished 28th in 2003 his only appearance in the Masters. S.Cink , Has a decent Masters record and playing some great golf this year , H.Stenson i dont think has the short game for this track. Adding KJ Choi , Has a reasonable Masters record and seems to have stepped his game in last 2 years ,so expect a big week from him . GL ALL
Nice stuff mate. Good luck with these :ok.
all thoughts and bets are on the one thread JJ I dont think you had to explain yourself.
There was no reasoning in his 1st post other than for the Rose bet. We always encourage reasoning on here as you well know :ok

Re: Golf The Masters Ok, when it comes to the Masters, I certainly believe previous course form is essential & i look at the record over the last 4 years I have ended up with a list of bets which some may think is a bit excessive however some of the longer prices are being taken to perhaps lay back for a small profit during the 4 days. Top 10 finishes over 4 years Woods 3 Goosen 3 Singh 3 Mickleson 3 Couples 2 Donald 2 Top 20 finishes over 4 years Woods 4 Goosen 4 Singh 4 Mickleson 3 Cink 3 T Clark 2 F Couples 2 Donald 2 Wier 2 Casey 2 Appleby 2 betfair win prices - 2pts (total 12pts) only taking the long ones which hopefully will come down over the 4 days T Clark 160.0 Couples 150.0 Wier 160.0 Casey 170.0 Appleby 95.0 Cink 90.0 I personally will only be backing the others in the w/o Woods market as the guy is in such great form & not worth taking him on. W/O woods - Goosen 18.5 - 20/1 Corals 1pt EW 1,2,3,4,5 Singh 14.0 - 12/1 Tote 1pt EW 1,2,3,4,5 Donald 38.0 - 30/1 PaddyP 1pt EW 1,2,3,4,5 Mickleson 10.0 - No bet Appleby 60.0 - 50/1 Tote 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4,5 Cink 55.0 - 50/1 Skybet 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4,5 Weir 85.0 - 60/1 Tote 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4,5 Casey 85.0 - 70/1 Tote 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4,5 T Clark 90.0 - 75/1 Bet365 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4,5 Couples 60.0 - 50/1 Betfred 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4,5 Always worth considering the nationality markets & my 10 selections are priced up as follows : Top European - Donald 9.4 - 8/1 Ladbrokes 1pt win Casey 16.5 - 16/1 PaddyP 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4 Top Rest of World - Singh 5.0 - 6/1 Sportingbet 1pt win Goosen 6.6 - 8/1 Sportingbet 1pt win Weir 18.5 - 20/1 Betfred 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4 T Clark 19.5 - 33/1 Betfred 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4 Top South African - Goosen 3.1 - 2/1 Bet365 2pts win T Clark 9.0 - 7/1 Bet365 1pt win Top australian - Appleby 6.6 - 7/1 Bluesq 1pt win Top US w/o woods Cink 19.5 - 20/1 Betfred 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4 Couples 23.0 - 22/1 Betfred 0.5pts EW 1,2,3,4 Top 10 finish - 2pts (total 2pts) Only backing 1 of mine here to finish top 10 F Couples 6.2 - 5/1 Boylesports 1pt win ok, there is quite a few bets there & i need to get an understanding of staking system. i have 58pts worth of bets however I have bet in 8 different markets. Amended to 37pts in total!!!! Went EW on most of the selection as some nice prices around. Off to ponder the above to ensure i come out of this with a profit one way or another. Hope to get these uploaded onto Sports Punter as well before the big off. :ok

Re: Golf The Masters jay jay nothing against cink but I wouldn't be so eager to oppose stenson. The first year he played the masters he made the cut then last year was tied 17th, which is quite respectable I think for a two year spell and see no reason why he can't improve his position further this year. outside a disappointing wgc he has had a very good year with numerous top 5 finishes. good luck with your play though but it wouldn't be one I wanted to get involved on:)

Re: Golf The Masters Golf isn't my thing punting wise, but I took K.J Choi earlier in the week at 40/1 ew and have had a few quid on Ogilvy -bad sp? - at 25/1 ew........ so hopefully one of them should give me a run. Goosen at 20/1 ew Winner W/O Woods with Coral also looks a decent bet from my uneducated perspective, considering his record here......

Re: Golf The Masters Woods is the obvious pick but Im not backing him at his price, I would rather do a few other e.w picks who appear in good form and will do them on a combination of outright and without woods as it would be most frustrating if someone won the whole event and you have only picked them without woods or to a lesser degree they finish second to Woods and you have concentrated only on the outrights. So trying to a combination of both with PP offering specials which work out at much bigger prices than the without woods market and I already have the win and place covered if that occurs. 26 pts staked: Goosen 28/1 2.5 pts e.w and Woods to finish first, Goosen second 40/1 3 pts Goosen has a terrific record here (4 top 3s in the last 6 years including 2 seconds.) Last year he was 1000 in running having just made the cut and then went on to trade odds on when on the finally day he stormed to the lead and nearly won it. The course clearly suits his style of golf, he remains a pretty long driver and he putts exceptionally well here and on the faster greens in general although reports indicate they will not be as quick this year as last. I would not have backed him a month ago as he looked a player in decline but his second to Ogilvy at the World Golf Championship the other week was very much a welcome return to form. the twice US Open champion is very dangerous round here. Stenson 66/1 2 pts e.w and Woods to finish first, Stenson second 80/1 2 pts Has not got the Masters record yet nor really the major record but Stenson is a player who seems ready to take the next step forward into major winner and this could be the year although I thought that last year. What he did show last year was that he could handle Tiger when beating him in Asia and then he won the WGC matchplay beating Ogilvy in the final so there is no question his ability. This year he has a string of top 6 efforts (4 in his first 6 events) so he arrives in good form, unquestionably he has the long game for Augusta and if he keeps his head on, he could have his best week in a major so far. Appleby 80/1 2 pts e.w and Woods to finish first, Appleby second 80/1 2 pts Been around quite a long time, the nearest he got to a major was when he lost in that 4 man play off for The Open in 2002 but he has numerous PGA titles and often starts of the year well, this year is no exception as he posted 5 top 10s in his first 5 starts including a second round rout of Mickelson in the matchplay which shows the level he is playing at. Was leader here going into the last day last year before falling away and has a stack of top 20 finishes so the course is no problem. He is quite a long driver (top 30 pga tour) and also is in top 20 on the putting stats, could go close again. Cink 80/1 2 pts e.w and Woods to finish first, Cink second 80/1 2 pts Cink is perhaps not the man for a finish over the last three or four holes but what he does do is play steady consistent golf which has seen him rise the rankings and recently he has seemingly added extra distance to his game (top 25 pga tour) and he never used to have that. Traditionally he was not that long and more a fairway and greens type player suited to the US Open perhaps which he messed up in 2001. However with that extra distance and I admit I was surprised to see it and perhaps should treat it with more caution he can build on a decent if unspectacular record here, 4 top 20s last 2 years, he is a very hot putter when he gets it going, he was twice second on the tour already this season and may be another outsider.

Woods is the obvious pick Goosen 28/1 2.5 pts e.w and Woods to finish first, Goosen second 40/1 3 pts Goosen has a terrific record here (4 top 3s in the last 6 years including 2 seconds.) Last year he was 1000 in running having just made the cut and then went on to trade odds on when on the finally day he stormed to the lead and nearly won it. The course clearly suits his style of golf, he remains a pretty long driver and he putts exceptionally well here and on the faster greens in general although reports indicate they will not be as quick this year as last. I would not have backed him a month ago as he looked a player in decline but his second to Ogilvy at the World Golf Championship the other week was very much a welcome return to form. the twice US Open champion is very dangerous round here. Agree with you there Woody, I am on Goosen too at 22/1 without Woods. Goosen is back to his old self eversince his laser treatment to his eyes early this year. He should have a field day and options are definetly there to trade later. BOL. :dude

Re: Golf The Masters Just two for me, already mentioned by others Geoff Ogilvy - outright - e/w Geoff Ogilvy's performance in leading the WGC at Doral from start to finish was hugely impressive, with a who's who of golf chasing him down over the final two rounds he kept his game together superbly. Ogilvy lead the field in birdies here last year and would have finished much higher had he not taken 9 on the 15th in his 3rd round when he sat just two off the lead. With his confidence high and his putter firing he should improve considerably on his last two finishes at the Masters, T24 & T16. Retief Goosen - outright - e/w The Goose has slipped off the radar a bit since last years Masters but he came roaring back at Doral where he tied 2nd and looked back to his old self. Eye problems after some laser surgery pretty much scuppered his early season programme but he's a man for the big occassion. T3 here in 2006 and T2 last year, he's said in interviews that he's pretty happy and confident with his game and who am I to disagree.

Bloody hell Bowles you've got a few bets there!!! GL mate, I think your certainly wise taking a most of your outrights W/O Woods. The man could tear everyone apart here!!
Cheers, I am going to sit back & enjoy, just updated my original post with my final staking which amounts to 37pts. I have gone EW on a number of markets as they should pay back.

Re: Golf The Masters I'm going with 4 bets. All outrights w/o Woods are 1st 5 each way :ok 2pts ew V.Singh to win The Masters w/o Woods 12/1 Stan James Vijay Singh knows his way around Augusta very well. He won here in 2000 when it was wet and that could be key as Friday and Saturday is forecasted to rain at Augusta national. Since winning around here Vijay has never been out of the top 20 which in itself is an excellent record and if his putter catches fire this week he could just lead this field a merry dance. Singh has a couple of 2nds, a 3rd and a 5th this season already so he's playing good golf and with all the Augusta experience he could need I think he'll be right up there coming round Amen Corner on Sunday. 2pts ew G.Ogilvy to win The Masters w/o Woods 16/1 Coral Geoff Ogilvy comes in here playing good golf. He steamrolled the field in Miami at the WGC event last month and came 2nd in Houston last week. He also had a top 10 at the PODS Championship so he's in good form. The Aussie finished T24th last year but he was right in contention until a quadruple bogey at the 15th in the 3rd round halted him in his tracks. He's got the game for here though, he hits the ball high and hits it far and his irons usually have pinpoint accuracy. His putting is a strength and it's hard to see how the former US Open winner won't be in contention come Sunday. 1pt ew F.Couples to win The Masters w/o Woods 50/1 Boylesports In 23 Masters, Fred Couples has never missed a cut and he averages a finish of 17.4 over those years. That average finish is bettered only by Woods and Mickelson in this field which says enough as it is. Couples won here in 1992 and has had no less than 10 top 10 finishes, the latest of which came in 2005 when he pushed Mickelson every inch of the way. Couples is with Butch Harmon now and that seems to have improved his game. Freddy had a top 10 at the Buick in January and another one in Houston last week so he comes here in good form and with his record on this golf course the American simply must be covered in some form this week. 4pts L.Donald Top Englishman 3/1 Sporting Odds The market suggests Justin Rose is favourite for this but I disagree I think. Looking at each of their form guides this season I'd argue that Donald has the better form coming in here and at one point last year half way through looked the winner. He finished tied for 3rd on his debut here in 2005 and that bodes as good form with his 10th last year. Rose was excellent here last year and I backed him for this very tournament but he was in good form coming in then. The same can't quite be said now. Donald has had a 3rd and a 2nd on the PGA Tour this year so he is in good nick. Of the others, Ian Poulter can tame this course on his day but the rest have shown it's a tough course to control. Donald's used to these courses and I think he'll come out best of the English.

Re: Golf The Masters 2 plays for me Justin Rose EW I sincerly think that rose will win a major this year thats if tiger decides to have an off week. He was so close to winning this event but for a double on the 17th on sunday. He was up in the mix all week and coped with the experience really well. His form around the course over the last few years is good enough to get competitive. Geoff Ogilvy EW I was really impressed with Ogilvy in Doral where he beat a world class field with Tiger breathing down his neck all weekend. A previous major winner and also won a couple of wgc events so knows how to close out a tournament. The 81 in the 3rd round last year was a disaster and the fact he only finished 10 shots behind the winner shows he was in there fighting for the green jacket.

Re: Golf The Masters The only person who can beat Tiger Woods in the Masters is Tiger Woods. If his game is on – and there is nothing to suggest it isn’t with 4 out of 4 top 10 finishes this season. With good reason he is the shortest price to win a major ever, and I really can’t see past him winning this week.

That leaves us looking for some each way picks who might be there or there-abouts challenging come Sunday evening. So what does it take to master the Augusta course? Zach Johnson proved last year that you don’t have to be a huge hitter – but excellent course management and attacking at the right time is the way forward. This week the course is playing very long due to a lot of recent rain and the course not getting the chance to dry out. That means to have any chance you have to be super accurate off the tee to give you a chance of hitting the greens in regulation.

Someone who might have a shout is Scott Verplank. Playing his 13th Masters he should know the course well by now. Only ever had 1 top 10 in 2003 but he is one of the better putters on the tour and if that is working he might have a shout. He is about 10.0 on Betfair for a top 10 finish.

I also like the look of Steve Stricker at 4.5 for a top 10 finish. He has risen to 4th in the world after a very good 2007. Continued well into 2008 with 4 out of 9 top 10 finishes this season.

At a bigger price I’m having a little play on Bubba Watson again for a top 10. In his 2nd major start he finished 5th in the US Open. He is a huge hitter – averaging about 315 yards off the tee and if he gets that accurate then he could be in with a shout. Available at 20’s for the top 10 finish.

Steve.

Re: Golf The Masters Sorry if it's a bit long but I got carried away with reasoning! The US Masters held at Augusta National is still the most revered golf tournament in the calendar year being a real challenge of driving, ball striking, scrambling and putting. Last year Zach Johnson shocked the golfing world when beating world no. 1 Tiger Woods by 2 shots to win his first major title and the coveted green jacket. The main reason he managed to win the tournament was through his clever course management and playing the four par 5 holes in 11 under par for the week. The key stats for this tournament are hitting greens, putting, current form and, crucially, course form.

Everyone knows Tiger Woods is the man to beat, but for me at 2.25, he represents little value but don’t be afraid to have a small saver on him, he is Tiger Woods! Strong cases can be put forward for many players including Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Retief Goosen and Fred Couples, however, the first man to catch my attention is Geoff Ogilvy who, after a tough start to the year looking after his new child, has finally hit some form beating Tiger at Doral a couple of weeks to win the WGC-CA and finishing 2nd last week at the Shell Houston Open driving, putting (at one point in 4th round had holed 53 out of 53 putts inside 7ft) and scrambling extremely well. He has finished in the top 25 in both attempts at Augusta and will be looking to improve that record this week. He thrives in the company of the best as well as on hard courses having won the US Open in 2006 and also being only one of three men to win more than one WGC title.

My second pick is a man still underestimated by most including the bookmakers. KJ Choi has climbed into the top 10 in the world unnoticed and will no doubt continue challenging for tournaments. He is currently in fine form with five top 20s in his past five tournaments and lies second in hitting greens in regulation on tour as well as in the top 15 for birdying par 5 holes. He has had some decent past form in this event especially in 2004 finishing in 3rd only three shots behind Mickelson an right now, he is a much better player than he was at that time. He has already stated this is the major he feels suits him the best and after beating Tiger to win two tournaments in three outings last year, he should have the confidence he needs to beat the best.

There are also three outsiders I feel may have a good shot at winning at Augusta this year. First of these is US Open Champion Angel Cabrera. The big hitting Argentinean has been hit-and-miss this year; however, he showed a coming into form in his second round at the Shell Houston Open last week hitting the ball beautifully almost recovering from a disastrous first round. He is a very good putter and tends to thrive on difficult courses, shown by his wins in the US Open and at Wentworth. He is just as likely to miss the cut as he is to win the Masters but with three top 10s in his past 7 Masters, he now has the confidence to go one step further. My second long shot is Rory Sabbatini. While supposedly not well liked on tour, Sabbatini is a very classy player who finished second here last year and by his own admission is a much better player now than when he managed that feat. He is a very good driver who hits a lot of greens and has improved his putting significantly over the past two years. Furthermore, he is in the top 15 for birdie % of both par 4 and par 5 holes on tour. He has further admitted that the use of a RV with his family made his trip to Augusta that much easier and allowed him to concentrate on playing and relax after the round – hopefully this homely feeling will help him to his first major title. The final longshot is one that will seem odd to many but Jonathan Byrd appeals at a massive price. He currently lives in Georgia so should feel right at home in the environment and seems to enjoy playing in his adopted home state with a T-8 on his debut in the Masters and two top 10 finishes in the last two years at the AT&T Classic which has greens comparable to Augusta. Comparable to Zach Johnson in the sense that he is a short, accurate hitter and a very good putter, he has already had four top 15 finishes in 2008 and seems to be coming into some good form with a T-12 finish at the Zurich Classic two weeks ago. In addition, he finished 1st in birdie conversion as well as top 10 in the par 5 birdie conversion statistics from the 2007 season and seems like he could well be ready to add to his three career victories.

Lastly a side bet which would have come through in his last two attempts at the Masters. In both 2004 and 2007 Justin Rose proved he had the game to challenge at the Masters, however, he also proved he doesn’t have the mental fortitude to close the deal. He led the event in 2004 and 2007 after one round and the price of 34.00 seems much to big for the case of lightening striking a third time; he is a quality player who struggles on Sunday but thrives early on.

Best of Luck

RT

Re: Golf The Masters Live feeds guys

Thursday April 10th
DateHome-team Away-teamNext broadcast
golf.gif21:00 - 02:00PGA Tour favourite_off.gifLive!icon_broadcast.gif
us.gif 2008 Masters Tournament favourite_off.gif
Friday April 11th
DateHome-team Away-teamNext broadcast
golf.gif21:00 - 02:00PGA Tour favourite_off.gifLive!icon_broadcast.gif
us.gif 2008 Masters Tournament favourite_off.gif
Saturday April 12th