** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: England vs India ODI Series

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Top tips Kev. I must admit before hand I favoured India big time considering how bad we have been at ODI but we were much better today and they were woeful. I still think we could have used the powerplays a bit more but the way Cook and Bell carried through their efforts was superb and I just wish Bell could bat with that intent more as no doubt he can do as shown today. Before I thought Shah was very unlucky not to be playing but Cook and Bell proved me wrong and the key now is to build on that. India were awful in the field and I said they were a bowler short before hand but in truth they are more than just one. England then bowled very well. No four balls from Anderson this time and Broad also impressive. Flintoff looked good and Dimi kept it tight although very suprising India's complete lack of ambition against him. Panesar still a slight concern but overall much better from England and very poor from India. The question now is can England build on this?

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series

great stuff kev' date=' very unlucky not to get more profit.[/quote'] Cheers mate, probably didn't get what I deserved there but hopefully Friday is kinder. Cheers :ok. I don't think it should be a surprise how bad India were though, this is pretty much the same side which failed to beat Bangladesh and therefore had to bow out in the group stage of the World Cup and the same side which hasn't really done much in ODI cricket since their World Cup final appearance in 2003.

Cheers mate, probably didn't get what I deserved there but hopefully Friday is kinder. Cheers :ok. I don't think it should be a surprise how bad India were though, this is pretty much the same side which failed to beat Bangladesh and therefore had to bow out in the group stage of the World Cup and the same side which hasn't really done much in ODI cricket since their World Cup final appearance in 2003.
But before their World Cup performance which really was down to one shock result India had some fairly decent results. For one I recall them thrasing Sri Lanka 6-1 who then did the same to England. England in comparison apart from 4 games in the CB series have barely competed against proper teams in ODI since the ICC Champions Trophy in 2004. I suppose one thing to consider is that this remains very much India's team from a long time ago and they look to need new faces in this form of the game which England have at least made some attempt to include. Still a long way to go in this series.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I tend to agree with you here Woody and I especially thought winning the test series would have an enormous effect on them. I'm not jumping on any England bandwaggons just yet as virtually the same side got taken to the cleaners by Windies not long ago. Perhaps the Indians just had one of those days?

Hmmm... there was something a bit strange about that game. A bit not quite right. -136.5 for me' date=' Ganguly finding a fairly creative way to get himself out. Oh well, back in the saddle for Friday.[/quote'] I can see where you're coming from, it was a very weird kind of game! :unsure funny how we're so used to seeing England perform abjectly in ODIs that when we manage to thrash someone we start wondering if the fix was in!! :lol:lol:lol

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Just a quick message to say that Boylesports have started doing performance bets now using the same scoring system as Bet365, difference being they pay 10/11 either way and their line has been set a lot lower for certain players e.g. Flintoff (46 vs 51) and Prior (37 vs 43). This is good to see as bet365 seem to set their lines pretty well so it's nice to have a second opinion, as well as a bit more money back if we pick a winner!

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Credit where its due... Excellent picks kev :ok Series bet looked the best and it still is. hard to see india win 4 from here. flu and everything, england looks a very good bet for the second ODI. For all those wondering why india disappointed big time. I think its only the batting order. Karthick and Gambir have to open with a license to play their shots. Sachin, Yuvi, Ganguly, Dhoni to follow. Dravid can float as per the need. Get munaf in for Agarkar, who is highly inconsistent. Ramesh powar for RP Singh. Too many bold changes and that too from a captain who didnt have england follow on with a lead of 319. A 2-0 test series would have almost guaranteed india the first ODI. Dont beleive any of the claims that england are a bad ODI team. Not in home conditions atleast.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Agree with pretty much all of that mate. Don't like this 2nd game at all. I still like England, I see no reason to desert them but equally at 8/13 I'm not backing them. India looked value but the flu has gone around their side so I'm leaving the match alone and cheering on England for a 2-0 and potentially series winning lead. There isn't much I like but I've found a couple of nice looking things at good prices so rather than chuck lots of cash away on an even match I'll just take 3 bets. 10pts I.Bell 41&Over runs 11/8 Blue Square Ian Bell is in terrific form right now and he can build on his excellent ton in the 1st game at the Rose Bowl by following it up on a pitch the groundsman describes as a '300 wicket'. That suggests there's plenty of runs in it and nobody is in better form with the bat right now than Bell. He hit a pair of 60 odds in the 3rd test and then his excellent 126 not out on Tuesday. Clearly in the form of his life and against a flu ravaged attack he should be taken to get the necessary 41 runs here. 10pts M.Dhoni to hit a six 3/1 Boylesports Mahendra Singh Dhoni is a much more attacking, aggressive batsman than he showed at the Rose Bowl the other night. Normally he's scoring at a strike rate of 100 or above which signals his quick scoring. The boundaries at Bristol aren't the biggest especially the straight ones which in truth would need nothing more than a flick of Dhoni's wrists to clear. Dhoni already has 70 sixes in ODI's from 69 innings and many of them will have been on bigger grounds than this. Collingwood used Monty, Mascarenhas and himself for a lot of overs on Tuesday night and all 3 could go back over their head if they pitch one on a length. Dhoni's a class act and while I'm not a fan of these special bets, this one is a crazy price and has to be taken. 1pt 2 England centurions 50/1 Skybet This is a very speculative punt but if the pitch is as good as it is being made out to be then it can't be without a chance. England made 288 on Tuesday and only needed 4 batsmen. Flintoff and Collingwood, both capable of hitting a ton never even got a bat. Pietersen looked in good touch and has good memories of this ground. If England bat 1st again and one of the top 3 makes a big score, either Pietersen or Flintoff could just bludgeon a quickfire century which will leave Skybet shaking in their boots. It's a long shot but for 1pt I'm happy to risk it.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Thanks for letting us know Cymro, hope you get better luck with those! Anyway, i have to say that I'm still not completely convinced by England. We've had a few of these false stars in ODI series before. India were priced up @ 5/4 by most bookies this morning to win the series which I'd say is about right but then along came Skybet (who've obviously taken a shedload on England) to plonk down a price of 2/1. The rest have let the indians drift a bit buy Skybet are still clearly the standout price and seeing as I have a freebet that needs using up I'm taking it. India to win series @ 2/1 (Skybet)

Thanks for letting us know Cymro, hope you get better luck with those! Anyway, i have to say that I'm still not completely convinced by England. We've had a few of these false stars in ODI series before. India were priced up @ 5/4 by most bookies this morning to win the series which I'd say is about right but then along came Skybet (who've obviously taken a shedload on England) to plonk down a price of 2/1. The rest have let the indians drift a bit buy Skybet are still clearly the standout price and seeing as I have a freebet that needs using up I'm taking it. India to win series @ 2/1 (Skybet)
Skybet are a standout price because they include the drawn series as an option. On the 13/8 I've taken on England the draw isn't in play (it was actually 15/8 with Skybet but with the weather being like it is a washout is perfectly possible). The reason India have drifted throughout the day is the flu is going through their squad. I'd imagine if England go 2-0 up, the series will be theirs given that at some point India will have the plane home syndrome.

So for your 13/8 it's DNB? Ok that would make sense. Just a free bet but I think it's a bit of value' date=' we'll see what happens tomorrow![/quote'] Aye I'm DNB. Can't take any risks with the weather, especially over a 3 week period. Plus 13/8 England was perfectly generous. 1 other thing to add to assist people with a decision, England beat Australia here in 2005 which was the last ODI here.

Aye I'm DNB. Can't take any risks with the weather, especially over a 3 week period. Plus 13/8 England was perfectly generous. 1 other thing to add to assist people with a decision, Kevin Pietersen beat Australia here in 2005 which was the last ODI here.
fixed that for you :ok

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series England all the way tomoz :cow:cow Indians have got the shits and look like they wanna go home already.... I'll be seeing you at 2pm tomorrow Kev, arrive at that shithole Luton and its on for a few :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer :cow

England all the way tomoz :cow:cow Indians have got the shits and look like they wanna go home already.... I'll be seeing you at 2pm tomorrow Kev, arrive at that shithole Luton and its on for a few :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer :cow
BANG! :beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Thank you for these excellent bets on the 1st international match Kevshat. I am always watching your thread's with interests. you are the better cricket predictor that I know in any place. thank you and good luck today :ok :clap:clap

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I'm not so inclined to take that stuff on Tuesday as a true line of form between these two sides. It's clutching at straws (in giving a case for India) but they might go a whole lot better with the sun out, as forecast. And warmer. More realistically, the problem is India in the first 15. There's Anderson on-song bowling 7 on the reel at one end and Broad and Flintoff on a slightly shorter length banging it in at the other for 8 overs. It's a sodding good attack, the way they are bowling at the moment. With a strong manager they might promote Karthik to open and go with Sachin at 3 (and play and extra bowler). But the sages' committee thinking will to be not to 'back down', most probably. If India can get a platform, Dhoni at 4 or 5? I think India will bounce back, but they will need to win toss and post 300. Which is a bloody big if thing. :eek

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Look (as Boycott might begin a sentence), that scorecard in Southampton didn't look right to me. Three run outs. All mad. Dhoni not getting after the 4,5,6 bowlers? Dravid putting England in. Two England blokes who couldn't make an ODI ever and both did on the same day. That 1st ODI was influenced by 'outside forces'. The 'bug' yesterday? It moved markets hugely yesterday afternoon. Would bet all are OK today. What do I mean by 'outside forces'? I suggest nothing but the cold weather on the day in Southampton. :unsure

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series This is an awkward game and that was before all this flu stuff. England comprehensively thrased India in game 1 but India barely turned up and as impressive as England were, can they maintain that in particular if the opposition turn up? I am margianally favouring India @ 11/8 even with these illness doubts purely because that is far too big for the team who imo are better at ODI on the whole. India were shocking in the field in the first game and also looked more than one bowler short but I imagine they will change the bowling with Powar coming in who is a fairly decent cricketer if not someone who is going to improve their fielding and Patel has been mentioned as well to possibly come in. Their batting should improve, Ganguly I like for top bat @ 9/2 e.w with Boyles at the minimum as I feel he is in good form probably the best of the Indian batsman just has not translated that to big scores through a combination of bad decisions and being run out by Monty. India improved after the first test and I am hoping (at low stakes) that dodgy stomach or not they will again after that last game.