** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: England vs India ODI Series

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Hmmm, India win thanks to the bowling of the two spinners and England's decision to omit Monty. I'm actually more convinced by England after this loss than at the Rose bowl though as there were contributions from all the way down the order which hasn't happened for ages. Yes, India missed their best bowler in Zaheer, but chasing a mammoth 329 under lights and coming so close albeit on a small ground is not bad whatsoever. pLenty of food dor thought before the next game.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series

Hmmm' date=' India win thanks to the bowling of the two spinners and England's decision to omit Monty. I'm actually more convinced by England after this loss than at the Rose bowl though as there were contributions from all the way down the order which hasn't happened for ages. Yes, India missed their best bowler in Zaheer, but chasing a mammoth 329 under lights and coming so close albeit on a small ground is not bad whatsoever. pLenty of food dor thought before the next game.[/quote'] I agree with a lot of that. Obviously pleased from a betting point of view that India won but also that England are starting to look more of the real deal at ODI. Just a few things for England: Tremlett was poor and Panesar clearly would have been the better option and I also felt that Bell even though he played a good knock could have been a bit more aggressive as I felt his strike rate when chasing 330 was too low and put too much pressure on those around him.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I can remember us being mystified by the continual absence of Panesar in the Windies series aswell Woody. Tremlett went round the park for Hants in the FP final and I don't think has enough variations to bowl in an ODI. It ammused me greatly to hear Sky Sports start off saying it was a good decision as they thought the pitch was hard and bouncy and slowly change their tune to 'poor decision to leave out Monty on this pitch' only Atherton said at the start he'd ahve played Panesar!

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Edgbaston has always been a happy hunting ground for England over the years. Despite losing the last match they again put India's attack to the sword and will be confident of doing so here. The bookies cannot split the pair, but if Andrew Flintoff passes his fitness test I'd favour England, otherwise their attack looks dangerously weak. Let's see what the team news is tomorrow...

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series This may not be a bad toss to lose as the pitch may be lively at first with the early start. India have pretty much said they will bat. Flintoff looks less than 50/50, and with Zaheer (very useful) coming back for Agarkar (usless) I'll take Corals evens on India while it lasts. Problem is, back to a test ground (size) India are pretty much starting with a 25 run handicap on fielding. they'll have to hold their bloody catches. :hope Ganguly is favoured over Dravid in 'my matchmakers' presumably because he gets a bowl. But only bowled 3 overs last game and don't expect much more here. He will be batting in the trickier conditions if India do bat first. Ganguly here 40-24-0; Dravid played Edgbaston also 3 times and over 50 each knock... and in sparkling form. SELL perf Ganguly/Dravid @ 7.5 at 1.5pts India win @ evens at 25pts Dravid MoM @ 14-1 at 5pts Dravid MoM would make it two in a row but with my taking India the 14-1 looks good compared to 4-1 for top India bat. -144 pts on this series but long way to go yet.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Been out most of the weekend but had a look at the prices for the 3rd ODI and there wasn't really anything I fancied so decided to leave the game alone and hope it strengthened my outright positions, which it did. England go 2-1 up and I can't see us losing the series from here. A little bit more luck at Bristol and we could be 3-0 up now. We're clearly playing better cricket and I'm confident we'll see this through. Anderson is now 2 clear of Flintoff in what looks a 2 horse race and the 5-2 is still on as well. Will keep an eye on the markets for Thursday's game.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series 4th ODI on Thursday is a day/night match at Old Trafford. England have been dominant in the series thus far and I expect that to continue despite our relatively poor record here. 10pts England to win 4th ODI 4/5 Bet365 England head to Old Trafford with a 2-1 series lead thanks to some really good cricket which they played at Edgbaston where they thoroughly outplayed and outclassed this poor India side. An Indian win here will be essential really else at 1-3 the series will be all but gone and the plane home will look all the more appetising. England had a scare over the fitness of their captain Paul Collingwood who missed Wednesday's final training session through illness. He should be fit to play though. If he isn't the captaincy will be between Flintoff, who is back after missing Edgbaston, and Pietersen. Dimitri Mascarenhas faces a fitness test but it's hard to see how he'll get back into a winning team although Tremlett hasn't bowled too well but a couple of wickets at Edgbaston could keep him his place. India know they have to improve. It's particularly the fielding where they have to improve because in the 3 games so far their fielding has been nothing short of pathetic. England are getting too many free runs and that has to stop. Improving here though won't be easy with the outfield not at it's best after rain and an Artic Monkeys concert in recent weeks. With Old Trafford being a good pitch usually an extra batsman may play here. That would be Robin Uthappa I think but I'd expect the same lineup for India in truth. England have bossed this series in the main. Even the game they lost they nearly chased down 330. They have bowled and fielded so much better than India in the series and I think they'll all but wrap up the series with another sound display here. 10pts R.Bopara's Performance Pts - Under 30 10/11 Boylesports Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Ravi Bopara is a class act but he isn't seeing much action at 7 in this side. He's come in twice towards the end of the innings which doesn't guarantee him 30 runs and he has hardly bowled, and even when he has bowled he's gone round the park. England strengthen their side with the inclusion of Flintoff here so once again he may not bat or may not bat long enough to score the necessary points. If he doesn't bat he'll need 2 wickets with the ball but I don't see him bowling enough (if at all) to get them. The under looks the safe call here. 10pts England Most 6s 11/10 Bet365 England have dominated the 6 hitting in the last 2 matches. India sneaked a 3-2 six hitting win in the 1st game at the Rose Bowl but since then England have won 8-3 at Bristol and 5-3 at Edgbaston and yet they are still odds against. England strengthen their potential 6 hitting in this game with the return of Andrew Flintoff and Kevin Pietersen hasn't caught fire yet either. If he lights up the 6 hitting won't be a contest. India are dangerous though, Dhoni and Yuvraj can clear any boundary but given the ease we've outsixed India in the last 2 games I'll side with England to make it 3 on the bounce. 10pts A.Cook's Runs - 41&Over 11/8 Blue Square Alastair Cook has shown he can be a 1 day player in this series. He averages 40.50 in his 1 day career and in this series has scores of 102, 36 and 40, and on all 3 occasions he has got himself out playing unnecessary shots. This pitch is likely to be an absolute belter though and Cook is clever enough to know he has to play normally and take advantage of that in order to propel his side to a decent total. He's having a good series and on a good deck against a cannon fodder bowling attack I think he'll pass 40. 2pts K.Pietersen MOM 12/1 Blue Square Kevin Pietersen hasn't really done much in ODI's since the World Cup but he's far too good a player not to show up at some point in this series. He's actually played ok in this series but just when he's looked like getting going he's misjudged a wrongun from the young leggie Chawla. I can't for one minute believe the young guy won't have been worked on by KP though and on a good deck against a bowling attack lacking potency I'll chance KP getting a big score and nailing the MOM award.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Think India will bring in a batsman. Surely there's 10 in Ganguly, Sachin and Yuvraj? Hope India win to square, otherwise this 392 match series is going to fizzle out very quickly. But hard to have much confidence. Ball should come on a bit more than at Edgbaston. With Bell now able to clear the rope, KP to come good, and maybe Dhoni moving up the order there could be sixes in this. Although I could see an India collapse under lights. Oh well, give it a lash. BUY multi-sixes @ 16 at 7pts

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I have just seen England at Evens to win the toss :loon, looks like the safest bet of the day for me!

Today 02:07
2hcbI'm on England to win again. Might go with KP aswell simply as a law of averages bet! Good luck everyone.
Yeah it definatly looks like a KP night tonight, he hasent done nothing all summer in ODI's and looks like he will be out to try and perform well. I would suggest Ian Bell, but can he be top run scorer 4 times in a row? I doubt it. If Karthik gets pushed up to about 3 for India I can definatly see him playing well, if he has not actually been dropped for the game because he is due a score (1 and 0 so far this series) Top England Batsman - Kevin Pietersen - 3/1 @ Skybet Top Indian Batsman - Dinesh Karthik - 11/2 @ Skybet :hope GL all

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series I must admit to being impressed by England in this ODI series. It appears that England are starting to turn the corner in ODI unlike India who are struggling to find a correct balance in their team (lacking bowlers earlier and now appearing one batsman short especially as Dhoni has not scored heavily at all yet at no.6.) Also their fielding is shocking and was arguably the difference in the last game and could have been at Bristol when they won as the amount of dropped catches continued to let England in the game. Considering the two teams are pretty even this area is crucial in separating the teams at the moment. I am leaving this match alone in betting regards as although England are the form team an India backlash is always possible especially if the big names take off. I like Dravid at 7/2 for top bat. He is in very good form at the moment and scoring quickly as shown in the last two games and will be disappointed to have played on in the last game when looking to see India home. Also another theory is that Old Trafford generally can offer something to the pace bowlers with its bounce. I do not know if that will be the case today but if it is then Dravid copes with that better then others such as Ganguly, Dhoni and even Tendulkar at the moment. Good luck either way.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series England thanks to Bopara and Broad win to go 3-1 up in the series. Broad once again very impressive with both bat and bowl and even though competition for places for the Test squad to Sri Lanka is tight especially given some of the more fashionable names coming back, imo Broad should be on the plane.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series Not the best day for the daily bets. -24pts taking me down to +12.38 for the series but the outright positions are much better thanks to today. The series is all but in as is Anderson and we creep ever nearer to a very lucrative 5-2 scoreline.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series 5th ODI is in the morning from Headingley. We're getting into dead rubber stage here and I fancy England to win this one where we have a superb record but 8/11 when England have no Flintoff isn't anywhere near tempting enough. India are shocking and without Zaheer Khan look like being even worse so I'm not interested there either. Hopefully England can win to bring in the series bet. I'd imagine at 10.15 start time on an overcast day in Leeds that it would be win the toss and bowl so I'll just go with these. 10pts J.Anderson's Performance Pts 40&Over 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Jimmy Anderson is bowling beautifully at the minute, in fact I've never seen him bowl better. He's picked up 11 scalps in the series so far and hasn't really had conditions to suit him at all in the series. If England were to bowl 1st here, conditions should be right up his street and he could have the new ball hooping around. With Anderson bowling at the beginning of the innings and at the death he's ideally positioned to get 2 wickets which would cover this target and with the form he's in he simply has to be backed to achieve 40pts. 5pts ew P.Collingwood Top England Bat 6/1 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Paul Collingwood has had a very solid series with the bat so far and there's no reason to suggest that won't continue here at Headingley. In the series so far Colly has made 27, 44 and 47 and looks in good touch. His 47 the other night was England's top score so he can top our run charts. The captaincy of the side has made him a better batsman I think as he takes responsibility and nurdles the ball around nicely instead of taking unnecessary risks. Colly is one of our best 1 day batsmen and at 6/1 he's worthy of ew support.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series That makes it interesting! England head to The Oval leading 3-2 in the series. If England win the last 2 matches I'll be a happy bunny!! As for today's match, bit disappointed the rain came when it did because Anderson only needed 9 more runs to bring his performance in and with 6 overs left was likely to do it. That was a loser but Collingwood top scored making it a really good day. Collingwood earned me 37.5pts meaning +27.50 for the day and +39.88 for the series. The 6th game is at The Oval on Wednesday.

Re: Cricket: England vs India ODI Series 6th ODI in the morning at The Oval. England lead 3-2 coming in here. I'm going to be disciplined and have only 2 bets. As for the match, it's a tricky call in many ways. India's record here is poor and neither Ganguly or Dravid average double figures from 4 matches. The pitch should turn though which may give India the edge. England could well replace Ravi Bopara with Luke Wright who has been added to the squad although someone will have to tell me what Dimi Mascarenhas has done wrong to no longer be in favour. All in all the match could go either way but I'm delighted with my position in the outrights, in fact 5 games in and all 4 outrights still have a chance so I'm happy to let them cover the baulk of my interest in the match and just take a couple of bets which won't affect the outrights. 10pts Yuvraj Singh to hit a six 3/1 Boylesports Yuvraj is a real hitter and he's having an excellent series with the bat. He's already nailed 4 maximums and has seemed to get better with the bat the longer the series has gone on. I thought he batted excellently in Leeds and should come here on what is always a true batting wicket high in confidence. Yuvraj is usually in when Monty bowls and that allows him a prime opportunity to go aerial. As with a lot of the grounds these days, the boundaries here aren't big particularly straight and with the form Yuvraj is in I expect him to clear the rope at some point in his innings. 5pts ew P.Collingwood Top England Batsman 11/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Paul Collingwood batted very well at Leeds and he's another who has got better as the series has gone on. What's impressed me the most with Collingwood is how he's played the spinners. That tends to be a problem with England traditionally but Collingwood has made it look easy. He top scored for us the other day at 6/1 so despite top scoring his price has only come in half a point. There's absolutely no reason why we should desert him at what is still a very attractive price so it's the England captain ew for me.