** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

African Nations Cup

Guest Mighty Shrimper

Re: Nice one... Its been a while since I was last posting on here but im back after a long break from betting so lets get started! After Losing £20 on Senegal tonight (How crap were they?!) I'm now looking at backing South Africa tomorrow. Dont have any stats on the two teams at hand so just wondered what everybody thought about the game?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aha Heres a little write up from the bbc web site, not what i read the other day but interesting none the less South African players and officials have finally settled their wage dispute at the African Cup of Nations. Players were unhappy that they were not getting appearance fees at the tournament. But officials have now agreed to pay each player US$21,000 for the first round games. "The players' request was not unreasonable given the amount that was budgeted for," team official Mubarak Mahomed said. "The players expressed their gratitude to the association and are happy that the matter has been put to rest." Earlier in the week, the South African Football Association (Safa) had to borrow US$560,000 from the country's Premier Soccer League to fund the teams' participation at the tournament. Safa's coffers have apparently been drained by the 'golden handshake', believed to be in the region of US$140,000, given to former coach Shakes Mashaba who was controversially fired on the eve of the tournament.

Guest winfrank

Re: Sengal What happen to Sengal only had a small bet on them but what a load of crap will be backing Against this team now :puke Sengal >: Sengal:x Sengal:evil Sengal:cry Sengal :o Sengal:banghead Sengal:moon Sengal:sad Sengal sorry lads a posting to back them but we can not win them all .... With players like Liverpool's >: El Hadji Diouf >: spiting on fans I should of realised they were a bad bet......

Guest winfrank

Re: Nigeria v Morocco :clap Nigeria v Morocco :clap Okocha is Nigeria's only survivor from the team's victory in 1994 Tue 27 Jan, Group D, Monastir, kick-off 1300 GMT Nigeria are hoping the rich form of Jay-Jay Okocha will transfer to the Cup of Nations when they open their Group D campaign on Tuesday. The Bolton forward is expected to start in the match in Monastir, alongside Arsenal's Nwankwo Kanu. Morocco will be led in this difficult group, which also includes South Africa, by Deportivo La Coruna's Noureddine Naybet. "Perhaps it is good to be in a tough group like this," Okocha said. "To win here, we have to beat the big teams anyhow." Coach Christian Chukwu is also keen to focus on the task at hand and not be distracted by talk of a 'group of death'. "I'm not really worrying about how Morocco will play. If they wish they can worry about us," he said. As well as the experienced Naybet, Morocco coach Badou Ezaki can also call on a wealth of exciting young talent for this opening match. The likes of 20-year-old Bordeaux striker Maroune Chamakh, Jaoud Zairi, 21, from Sochaux and 22-year-old midfielder Houcine Kharja, who plays in Italy, are all expected to feature. imo this is a very open game but I think Nigeria have Okocha and the way he has been playing for Bolton he is on fire and will hopefully get a few changes today it's been a long time since Nigeria won which puts me off a bit . Nigeria Latest Matches Date Type Opponent. Res. 2003-08-20 A Japan L - 3:0 >: 2003-06-11 H Brazil L - 0:3 >: 2002-06-12 H England D - 0:0 >: 2002-06-07 A Sweden L - 2:1 >: 2002-06-02 A Argentina L - 1:0 >: 2002-05-18 H Jamaica W - 1:0 :) 2002-05-16 A Ireland W - 1:2 :) 2002-04-17 A Scotland W - 1:2 :) 2002-03-26 A Paraguay D - 1:1 >: 2002-02-09 A Mali W - 0:1 :) Morocco Latest Matches 2003-10-11 A Tunisia D - 0:0 >: 2003-04-30 H Ivory Coast L - 0:1 >: 2003-02-12 H Senegal W - 1:0 :) 2002-11-20 H Mali L - 1:3 >: 2002-08-21 A Luxembourg W - 0:2 :) 2002-01-30 A South Africa L - 3:1 >: 2002-01-26 A Burkina Faso W - 1:2 :) 2002-01-21 H Ghana D - 0:0 >: 2001-09-05 A Italy L - 1:0 >: 2001-07-14 A Senegal L - 1:0 >: Nigeria v Morocco 2.00 3.00 3.40 May be today SouthAfrica is a betterbet? 1.40 home win

Re: Nigeria v Morocco That is some crap results for both Nigeria and Morrocco, can't help thinking the Nigerians are a little bit of value here though......I quite fancy them to get it together for once, when you look at it on paper, they should dispose of Morrocco quite easily :)

Mauritius... Well South Africa lost in the Cosafa Cup against Mauritius (2-0)... My little paradise island!! But They didn't have all their players... N they played well but were caught two times on the break... Everything has now been settled for their off the field dispute... N their new coach has put serenity in the group... Only trouble is Novemte and Piennar who are out... But the likes of Zuma, Mokoena, Pule should deliver the goods... I will back them to win tonight against newcomer Benin... Can't really see them losing!! As for The Nigerian match this would be some tight encounter Morocco have some good players (Naybet, Chamakh, Ouaddou, Fouhami), but I fancy Nigeria to get back on tracks with Okocha and Utaka to make strong appearances... N perhaps Kanu will shine as he always does in Africa!! Good luck to all

Guest easypunter

south africa - benin South Africa Team News Defender Mark Fish, midfielder Quinton Fortune and striker Benni McCarthy are some of the better known European based and best players that will not play in the African Nations Cup. They choose to play for clubs over country. Key striker Siyabonga Nomvete (Udinese) and gifted midfielder Steven Pienaar (Ajax)are also injured. However South Africa still had some good players in their rank. They had young defender Mbulelo Mabizela to captain the team. He was signed by Tottenham (England)last year from Orlando Pirates. Jacob Lekgetho is also another good defender who is a strong tackler and has good aerial ability. He played for Locomotiv Moscow in Russia. Defender Aaron Mokoena from Racing Genk (Belgium) is alos in the squad. In midfield, they had MacBeth Sibaya, a tough ball winner, Sibusiso Zuma from FC Copenhagen (Denmark) and 38 years old John Moshoeu from Kaizer Chiefs. Benin Team News Benin also has some well know players piling their trade in Europe. They include midfielder Oumar Tchomogo (France, Guingamp), striker Laurent D'Jaffo from Scottish side Aberdeen and Moussa Latoundji of German side Energie Cottbus. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- South Africa record in the qualifying round is W3 D1 L0 F6 A1. Ivory Coast 0 South Africa 0 South Africa 2 Burundi 0 South Africa 2 Ivory Coast 1 Burundi 0 South Africa 2 (last game played) South Africa has an easy qualifying round. While they had only conceded 1 goal, they are lack of goals. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Benin record in the qualifying round is W4 D1 L1 F12 A4. Benin 4 Tanzania 0 Zambia 1 Benin 1 Sudan 3 Benin 0 Benin 3 Sudan 0 Tanzania 0 Benin 1 Benin 3 Zambia 0 (last game played) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Benin had a more difficult qualifying round. They played 1 team more. Sudan and Zambia are also much higher up in FIFA ranking than Benin. Benin also score more goals than South Africa and conceded only 4. South Africa had some internal problem just before the tournament. The coach was sacked and there was some dispute over the players wages. But a new coach had taken over and the wages dispute had been setttled. South Africa will be the favourite to win Benin. They had been to the World Cup and is a regular in the African Nations Cup. This was the first time Benin had qualified for the African Cup. However I think the recent change of coach and the dissentment over the wages dispute may affect the team morale. The wages dispute may had been settled but the animosity is already there between the management and players. The players may not be used to the new coach style of play and will not have enough time to adapt to a change, especially just before the tournament. South Africa may had a good defence but with the absence of European based strikers Benni McCarthy and Siyabonga Nomvete, they will have trouble scoring. Most of South Africa European based players will not play or are injured, with the exception of Sibusiso Zuma. They will lack the experience and competitiveness that Mali has. Benin on the other hand, had did themselves well to qualify at the expense of Zambia and Sudan. They even scored 12 goals in 6 games played and conceded only 4. They were also on the back of consecutive wins before qualifying. Benin also has many players playing in Europe. Their main threat will be their striker Oumar Tchomogo, who plays in France for club Guingamp. The European based players will provide the experience and competitivens. The African Cup had been known to have low scoring matches. Of 4 games played in the qualifying round, South Africa had won only 1 game by more than a goal margin. Benin on the other hand had won 3 games by more than a goal margin. South Africa good defence may contain Benin, bu the lack of experience strikers, South Africa will have diffculty scoring against Benin. I believe Benin can give South Africa a good fight. I think they can get a draw. At asian handicap of +1 1/4, i will back Benin. Even if they lost, I don't see them losing by more than a goal.

. I agree Easypunter. Benin had a v good results in beating Zambia 3-0 at home, zambia are no longer the good team they used to be but they are still better than average and to beat them 3-0 is no mean feat. SA have their problems well documented and their price is no value. Draw @ 4.2

Tough encounters... I'm not sure at all about todays two matches... Think Guinea should confirm against Rwanda as the latter is suppose to be weaker than Congo, and Guinea did show some good build up in that match... Apparently Rwanda will change their strikeforce for this match... They did show a good performance against Tunisia... N they will definitely be out for smthg later on... Tunisia has never lost to Congo, but again Congo would try to pick themself up after their defeat they cannot afford to lose again... Home crowd is very important in this tournament I've notticed... And Santos is eager to get on the pitch... I'll go for Guinea to win and Tunisia to win or draw... But really without conviction!!

Guest andybud

Guinea ... :banghead I just cant believe what I have just witnessed! I went for Guinea (quite big!) and they dominated this match. Went 1-0 up just after HT and then proceeded to waste chance after chance. The worst was when Youla rounded the keeper and hit the post from 6 yards with an open goal!! :banghead :b anghead The Rwanda (about 1 shot in the whole game) squeeze an equaliser in the 93rd minute with a messy scrambled goal!!! >: >: >: I just canny believe my luck just now ... whatever I pick seems to fcuk up ... and when it is in such a cruel way like this game it is sooooooo hard!!! This fcukin cup is doin ma head in. :x :x :x

Guest easypunter

cameroon - zimbawee was a bad day yesterday. lost alot on Sheffield united. hope tonite will be a better. Camereoon Team News Cameroon is one of the strongest team in Africa. They are a regular in the African Nations Cup and World Cup. They also also won the previous 2 African Nations Cup. Cameroon also alot of good players playing in Europe. Example of some European based players are captain Rigobert Song (defender, RC Lens, France), forward Samuel Eto'o (Real Mallorca, Spain), midfielder Geremi Njitap (Chelsea. England) and midfielder Eric Djemba Djemba (Manchester United, England). Beside these players, there are also alot of other players playing in Europe. Right-back Perrier Doumbe will miss this match due to an injury. Zimbawee Team News Zimbawee is one of the weaker teams in Africa. This is their first appearance in the African Nations Cup. Most of their players are based in South Africa and local clubs. Only forward Peter Ndlovu played in Europe for Sheffield United, England. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cameroon as Cup holder qualified automatically for the African Nations Cup together with host Tunisia. Zimbawee Qualifiying Round Record P6 W4 D1 L1 F18 A3 LWWLDW Zimbabwe 2 Eritrea 0 Mali 0 Zimbabwe 0 Seychelles 2 Zimbabwe 1 Zimbabwe 3 Seychelles 1 Eritrea 0 Zimbabwe 1 Zimbawee 1 Mali 0 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Zimbawee qualified as the best runner up from the groups containing 4 teams. They had done well against Mali, one of the emerging strong African teams. Zimbawee had won Mali at home and draw with Mali away. Cameroon starts their campaign with a 1-1 draw against Algeria. From match reports, they dominated the game but missed a handful of goal scoring chances. Zimbawee lost 1-2 to Egypt in the first game. Cameroon is unlucky to draw with Zimbawee. They must win Zimbawee to have a good chance to qualify for the quarter final. With their European stars and experience, they win against a weaker Zimbawee. I will back Cameroon to win with full confidence. But with an asian handicap of -1 1/4, I will place a smaller bet. Cameroon should win, but whether they can clear the handicap is another matter. Afterall Zimbawee had not lost to Mali in the qualifying round and lost narrowly to Egypt, another strong team.

Re: cameroon - zimbawee Ive just been watching the Algeria v Egypt match and Egypt after going 1 down have come back to equalise and look very strong. The only way they will not win this match is to carry on missing the sitters they have been doing. Otherwise i cant see anything but an Egypt win, Currently its half time and there available @ 2.2's. Surely one must go in.

Unlucky Pharaons... Well I backed Egypt Ht/Ft... As soon as they scored they had so many chances... A flucky post and some off target shots... They should have done better!! And a penalty not whistled!! This match is gonna end up draw I think... It's not their day!!

Algeria I appreciate Egypt are the better team but I only logged on to look at the in running odds (bet 365)with 25 mins to go and the game at 1-1 . Egypt were 4/7 and algeria 14/1 !!! I couldnt believe that and slapped 5 pounds on algeria. Algeria bang one in on 87 mins and i have about 5 mins to sweat it out.Value of the week for me that one!:nana

Re: Algeria gurdjieff - it was not value of the year as Algeria were one man down at that time and spent most of the second half just kicking balls as far from their goal as they could. Agree this was a fluke which decided, anyway the Egyptians were absolutely unable even to threaten a little bit in front of goal in the second half. They are almost sure out of the tourny now.

Re: . I have to agree with the ref being a joke but i wouldent be too downhearted as i wouldent be so confident of Egypt scoring even with a penalty though i should imagine the would have managed one out of the 3 valid claims. Still even if i saw Algeria @ 50's i wouldent have touched em as they were so under the cosh and down to 10 men. Well i might have had a couple of quid;)

Guest Robbie Winner

Senegal Senegal v Kenya preview Senegal will be looking for huge improvements against Kenya following the Teranga Lions' poor opening performance against Burkina Faso. Having reached the 2002 final and arrived here as one of the title favourites, French coach Stephan knows they can ill-afford an upset in the game in Bizerte. "We're preparing very carefully for this match," he said. Stephan's main injury worry is defender Ferdinand Coly, who is doubtful with a thigh strain, though the Frenchman hinted there could be other changes in the line 'to freshen things up'. Senegal are looking for their first goals of the tournament, following the 0-0 draw against the Burkinabe. Meanwhile, Kenya need a point at the very least to stay in contention for a quarter-final spot with coach Jacob Mulee warning a repeat of the poor defensive display against Mali would be 'suicidal'. Defender Philip Opiyo comes in for George Waweru who fractured his neck in the Harambee Stars' opener against Mali. In a tactical change, Mulee has left out left-back Adam Wesa, who will be replaced by Moses Gikenyi. In midfield, Emmanuel Ake, who came off the bench to replace John Muiruri against Mali, will start the game ahead of the 24-year-old this time. (from BBC Sport) I think i'm going to bet BIG on Senegal here, they are in a similar situation as Cameroon were today. They drew their opening game so they need to win here. I think they will, Mali got a comfortable win againt Kenya so i don't see Senegal struggling here.:cheers

Re: . Agree with denis here. In opening matches - Cameroon were much better and VERY unlucky not to bag more than one goal. Senegal were pathetic (understatement), LOOKED NOT INTERESTED IN THE GAME AT ALL, and poor overall. Who will score for them is a major worry with Camara not able to pass, nor even get into a shooting position and Diouf just running all over the place. Not saying they can't win, but backing them @ such a skinny price is feeding bookies. And backing them on AH is something you can't be too confident of as there is every chance they can just nick it - or not.