** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The most unlucky person

Nade

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The most unlucky person

At this point in the SNG i was playing uber tight thus limping with 100 call and the raise was another 100 so my thoughts were for just another 100 i can see the flop and get away cheaply if i miss but go in hard if i hit.
Hope this isn't taken as 'advice', just meant to be a comment ;) From my own experience, there's little point being tight, if you're not going to be aggressive. Tight passive is a loss maker. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, after losing several buy-ins last month, I tightened up so much that I became passive and continued to lose money. As it turned out you were 3/1 fav (assuming your oppo's cards weren't suited). Letting them in cheaply is madness. If you have a tight image by this point, then its a great chance to really up the betting and put your opponent to the test. P.S. last night I had AQo in a STT and raised preflop, my oppo called. The flop didn't help me, but I thought my oppo was weak and went all-in. They called, showed a set of 9's and I went out for 5th :cry "Someone call 999, there's been a robbery" :lol

From my own experience, there's little point being tight, if you're not going to be aggressive. Tight passive is a loss maker. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, after losing several buy-ins last month, I tightened up so much that I became passive and continued to lose money. As it turned out you were 3/1 fav (assuming your oppo's cards weren't suited). Letting them in cheaply is madness. If you have a tight image by this point, then its a great chance to really up the betting and put your opponent to the test. P.S. last night I had AQo in a STT and raised preflop, my oppo called. The flop didn't help me, but I thought my oppo was weak and went all-in. They called, showed a set of 9's and I went out for 5th :cry "Someone call 999, there's been a robbery" :lol
I think that hand shows tight passive play but in general i was playing tight aggressive and really that hand was an odd one, the guy even apologised afterwards, i mean why min raise with 6Q? I've made a steady and decent profit over the last day on the $2 STT anyway and i'll watch out for that tight passive play doesn't creep in more ;) Lol at the 9's :lol Cheers

I think that hand shows tight passive play but in general i was playing tight aggressive and really that hand was an odd one, the guy even apologised afterwards, i mean why min raise with 6Q?
If he's a decent loose aggressive player, then a min raise is a very good play. He bets 2/3 of the flop or so, if you haven't hit (which is likely, since the majority of the time you WILL miss the flop, whatever you're playing with), then unless you have AA or KK, you're probably going to have to give him credit for a decent hand because of the min raise. Obviously didn't work out that way because the flop hit him perfectly, but I'd guess that's the strategy he was thinking of.

If he's a decent loose aggressive player, then a min raise is a very good play. He bets 2/3 of the flop or so, if you haven't hit (which is likely, since the majority of the time you WILL miss the flop, whatever you're playing with), then unless you have AA or KK, you're probably going to have to give him credit for a decent hand because of the min raise. Obviously didn't work out that way because the flop hit him perfectly, but I'd guess that's the strategy he was thinking of.
Poker-post of the day :nana P.S. I have heard that some sites will give you your buy-in back if you can pove to them that you lost because you were really really unlucky :ok worth a try But hey.... know how it feels... when you are on a loosing-streak :@

Re: The most unlucky person Good theory jaded.... but just my luck he hit the flop harder then me, aye ;);););):tongue2 Right, just lost another 2 coin flips so i'm going to start writing these down, situation, hand etc. because just seem to be losing nearly every one.

Re: The most unlucky person just ended my 18 flips losing run yesterday :nana and came up 2nd due to a bad heads up play. :wall Nade, I've been through the same things you are now going through and it taught me smth in STT's. To be even more aggressive. Because I couldn't believe the hands I'm losing to when I was a huge favourite. This made me think if I can lose against those hands, I can win with those hands sometimes. Of course I'm not pushing with trash but with decent hands I'm definitely pushing and raising right now(I used to raise with solid hands like AJ and losing to JT). Because if you don't, your stack will be shorter and you will get more calls. Those bad beats taught me your stack and aggression matters a lot more. Just push with a decent hand when the big stack is out of the hand, and since they're afraid to call, you'll only get called by very good hands (unless they see your pushing range of course) and you can still win (since I could lose with a great hand :lol)My advice is, don't write your bad beats anywhere, when I counted the losing flips (18) it just made me afraid and angry. Write the hands where you won luckily which will make you feel better :lol

just ended my 18 flips losing run yesterday :nana and came up 2nd due to a bad heads up play. :wall Nade, I've been through the same things you are now going through and it taught me smth in STT's. To be even more aggressive. Because I couldn't believe the hands I'm losing to when I was a huge favourite. This made me think if I can lose against those hands, I can win with those hands sometimes. Of course I'm not pushing with trash but with decent hands I'm definitely pushing and raising right now(I used to raise with solid hands like AJ and losing to JT). Because if you don't, your stack will be shorter and you will get more calls. Those bad beats taught me your stack and aggression matters a lot more. Just push with a decent hand when the big stack is out of the hand, and since they're afraid to call, you'll only get called by very good hands (unless they see your pushing range of course) and you can still win (since I could lose with a great hand :lol)My advice is, don't write your bad beats anywhere, when I counted the losing flips (18) it just made me afraid and angry. Write the hands where you won luckily which will make you feel better :lol
Good advice, i'll definitely give it a bash at being more aggressive, but i should say that the plan was to write down ALL my coin flips -won or lost - to see if there are any patterns and i will still do this, cheers :ok

Re: The most unlucky person Fair enough, surprised to see that much effort to watch me tbh :lol but thanks :ok Just playing solid really atm, the crunch usually comes at the bubble where the all-ins come about and you've seen above what happens sometimes ;)

Re: The most unlucky person Well that went well :lol I didn't have a hand higher then a 9 for god knows how long and couldnt bluff because that fella in the middle who knocked me out was calling and raising everything, so finally got a high card so felt i had to push, oh well :eyes

Re: The most unlucky person Bah... you were slightly unlucky at the end there, I'll give you that. However, you seemed REALLY passive - there were a fair few times when I'd have been mixing it up, regardless of what cards you had, certainly when it got down to the 4. I can't seem to get a hand history as I wasn't playing, but as a rule, if your M (your stack divided by sum of blinds and antes) is less than 5, you should usually just shove if no one's in the pot yet. I'd also have been very tempted, when you were in the BB with 800 left and he shoved, to call. He's shoving with the vast majority of hands there as a steal, and you didn't have long enough to wait for a better hand IMO.

Bah... you were slightly unlucky at the end there, I'll give you that. However, you seemed REALLY passive - there were a fair few times when I'd have been mixing it up, regardless of what cards you had, certainly when it got down to the 4. I can't seem to get a hand history as I wasn't playing, but as a rule, if your M (your stack divided by sum of blinds and antes) is less than 5, you should usually just shove if no one's in the pot yet. I'd also have been very tempted, when you were in the BB with 800 left and he shoved, to call. He's shoving with the vast majority of hands there as a steal, and you didn't have long enough to wait for a better hand IMO.
To be honest, all of my hands on the bubble were total rubbish apart from that K9 and i really didn't want to go out shoving with something like 10,3 with a PL person watching :loon The main problem was the chip leader playing every hand - i didn't know how to play it tbh.
You going again? If you want to see a demo of short stacked play in action (this is me at my most optimistic!!)' date=' I'm going for a shorthanded speed STT on Virgin in 5 mins or so.[/quote'] Sorry, went to do some quick gardening :lol haven't got Virgin installed so would have been a while anyway, think i'm popping back to Titan now, but i need to know if you watch, don't slag me if it's the same situation again and i go out with an awful hand :tongue2

Re: The most unlucky person Just went out 9th in next one. Had 5,9diamonds i think the flop brought a gut shot straight draw, one pair and flush draw so pushed and so did 3 others, the winner had a straight on flop, i hit a set on the river but if i had hit and 8 or diamond i would have won the hand which is what i thought on the flop so thought i had enough outs to go for it. Was a bit bored too tbh!

To be honest, all of my hands on the bubble were total rubbish apart from that K9 and i really didn't want to go out shoving with something like 10,3 with a PL person watching :loon
Heh - this may be where you were going wrong! I'd be quite happy to shove with 'trash' in a lot of situations - there's actually a reasonable case to be made (in this position) for T3o being better than QJ, for example, as you're slightly less likely to be dominated, since they'll probably be more likely to call with Qx and Jx than Tx, and certainly x3. Have logged back onto Titan now and will take a look if you're going again.

Just went out 9th in next one. Had 5' date='9diamonds i think the flop brought a gut shot straight draw, one pair and flush draw so pushed and so did 3 others, the winner had a straight on flop, i hit a set on the river but if i had hit and 8 or diamond i would have won the hand which is what i thought on the flop so thought i had enough outs to go for it. Was a bit bored too tbh![/quote'] Don't confuse being more aggressive with being looser ..... I presume that you played 95s with a high M (as you went out in 9th)? That isn't what people are advocating here (except maybe jaded :tongue2)

Don't confuse being more aggressive with being looser ..... I presume that you played 95s with a high M (as you went out in 9th)? That isn't what people are advocating here (except maybe jaded :tongue2)
Yep it was within the first few hands so had a v high M, in fact i made another 100 off the first hand but i just felt like playing the hand and going for the draw, i suppose i can be quite erratic, maybe that's the 'yoof' element but i'd play so tight for the previous SNG's that i needed some action lol. I suppose in a way i did confuse being more aggressive with being looser, but i'm always aggressive with good hands anyway so my thoughts were to be more aggressive i need to play more hands aggressively? :unsure

Re: The most unlucky person Tight/Loose and Aggressive/Passive are completely different spectrums ..... Tight Aggressive is considered to be the best approach for someone to master first, THOUGH any approach can be successful with the right skill. Tight Aggressive play limits the tough decisions that you have to make post flop (which is why it is recommended to start out playing pokerthat way).

Re: The most unlucky person Think i might retire, AK v K6 PF loses lol :lol Was just steaming after that couldn't give a toss. Very brief analysis of coin flips PF all-ins so far inc. the one i lost at end: Ahead PF (5 out of 7) Hands won (2/7) Will post the whole thing when i have a lot more, but it doesn't look good so far.

Re: The most unlucky person Nade, just started a thread over in strategy looking at the hand history of the STT I just played - it may help explain why I'm advocating making plays with 'junk' at times. It's a short-handed speed STT, so obviously different situation than a normal 10 seater, but the idea is to look at some low M plays later on in the game.

Re: The most unlucky person nade - it would help to know the full context of the AI's to say my AK lost to K6 means nothing really - for instance you shove AK for your last 400 chips and the BB big stack with 4K calls - its a no brainer for him - just having "this lost to this hand" doesn't mean anything really and would not be that interesting to read or to move the debate on (IMHO) Damo

Very brief analysis of coin flips PF all-ins so far inc. the one i lost at end: Ahead PF (5 out of 7) Hands won (2/7) Will post the whole thing when i have a lot more, but it doesn't look good so far.

nade - it would help to know the full context of the AI's to say my AK lost to K6 means nothing really - for instance you shove AK for your last 400 chips and the BB big stack with 4K calls - its a no brainer for him - just having "this lost to this hand" doesn't mean anything really and would not be that interesting to read or to move the debate on (IMHO) Damo
I did say it was a 'brief analysis' in the 'full' analysis i've noted down how much i went in with, whether i pushed or called and the percentages. Wasn't going to be too in depth as didn't think anyone would be interested but if you're taking notice then i can include stage of game, and position too... The AK v A6 was with about 6ppl left i had about 1800 they had about 1200 i think, will have to look at the situation but farcical play by them. Just looked up the hand above and the situation was 5ppl left i had 1900 they had 1200. I was in the BB (300) and he was SB (150) he raised to 450, i re-raised him his last 600 all in and he called with K6. I imagine his thinking was the high card K was good, even though i re-raised him all in, not a lot i can do about crap like that. The latest simple stats show: 13 PF all-ins. Out of the 13 i was favourite 10times. I've won. 2. And 1 split pot. Circumstances highlighted in some hands which will be talked about when i have more data and post the full list.

Re: The most unlucky person I would be interested, it helps me to make my decisions when I am in similar situations - maybe shove them in a new post? Cheers Nade Damo

I did say it was a 'brief analysis' in the 'full' analysis i've noted down how much i went in with, whether i pushed or called and the percentages. Wasn't going to be too in depth as didn't think anyone would be interested but if you're taking notice then i can include stage of game, and position too... .

Just looked up the hand above and the situation was 5ppl left i had 1900 they had 1200. I was in the BB (300) and he was SB (150) he raised to 450, i re-raised him his last 600 all in and he called with K6. I imagine his thinking was the high card K was good, even though i re-raised him all in, not a lot i can do about crap like that.
The raise is a steal attempt gone wrong. When you put him all-in, he's getting odds of 3 to 1 to call. The range of hands you have in the BB that you could be playing is easily big enough for him to think he has those odds - if you've got Ax, he's got a decent chance of beating you, if you have Qx or Jx he's ahead, and if you're making a stand with something like K4s then he's the overwhelming favourite. Yes, as it happens, YOU'RE the overwhelming favourite, but no way is that 'farcical play' IMO.

Re: The most unlucky person Nade. Just to touch one what you said in the daily thread. You said that you're experiencing the down turn for the first time. The first time I did I decided to play through it and suffer it for all its horror. I was a fool in doing so and the advice that I would give anyone in this situation is the same, and that is stop playing. If you don't, pretty soon you won't know your arse from your elbow as you try different things in order to break the streak. You will start to feel as though you've never known how to play poker ever and will tie yourself up in knots. Where you are isn't a nice place. We all know it which is why we're trying to provide help and guidance. You also touch on 'it's attack Nade week', which frankly is rubbish. What's worse? Going through a shite time and getting no help or sympathy or taking time to offer help and advice and being ignored? You have had good advice and endless offers of help. It might just be the best play you make to take some of them up. Good luck in your game, and in your escape. Rather you than me.